Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 102564 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #700 on: May 04, 2020, 05:44:26 AM »
Yeah so it seems the live tracks are from the Night to Remember release.  What a fucking joke that is.  Jeez, I got suckered into this one big time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #701 on: May 04, 2020, 06:07:51 AM »
That's fuckin pathetic.  I noticed that the track names in Spotify don't state where the live recording was - which they usually do.  Like when QR remastered Empire, the live tracks are all titled with "Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, London/1990"  Most additional live tracks (at least on Spotify), have that kind of specification.

These EG remasters... nope.  Just says "Live"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: May 05, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »
That's fuckin pathetic.  I noticed that the track names in Spotify don't state where the live recording was - which they usually do.  Like when QR remastered Empire, the live tracks are all titled with "Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, London/1990"  Most additional live tracks (at least on Spotify), have that kind of specification.

These EG remasters... nope.  Just says "Live"

The booklet doesn't even mention the live songs at all so I knew it was suspect right away.  Poor form.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #703 on: May 06, 2020, 01:16:01 AM »
Tom got a question on a FAQ last week if he would ever go back and change anything on their previous albums. His answer was "Never, they're a time capsule of their lifes at that time".
I wonder what's the point of the remasters then and how much input the band had in them? My first thought was to get some more bucks into the company, in simple terms.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: May 06, 2020, 04:55:24 AM »
Tom got a question on a FAQ last week if he would ever go back and change anything on their previous albums. His answer was "Never, they're a time capsule of their lifes at that time".
I wonder what's the point of the remasters then and how much input the band had in them? My first thought was to get some more bucks into the company, in simple terms.

It probably was a record company thing.  Based on this one I would hope he didn't have much involvement.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »

It probably was a record company thing.  Based on this one I would hope he didn't have much involvement.
Yea that's my thought aswell. It's probably one of those things that they get asked from their company to find alternative revenue streams, especially during times like this.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #706 on: May 06, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »

Yea that's my thought aswell. It's probably one of those things that they get asked from their company to find alternative revenue streams, especially during times like this.

It was a record company decision. The new record company that signed Evergrey, (AFM),  bought the back catalog (or part of) from Inside Out. So they need to recoup their investment. Also, with AFM, some the older releases are available in digital platforms (although not all of them are available, but at some point, they will).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #707 on: September 18, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
Evergrey is live answering a bunch of questions about the new album. For some reason Henrik feels just a bit drunk.  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: September 18, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »
Not surprising, I saw first hand how these guys can drink  :lol even bought Jonas two whiskeys

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #709 on: September 18, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
That's awesome!  :lol

To bad the soundclip was just some drums and bass, I guess it's very early days since they just started recording I think.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #710 on: September 19, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »

Offline T-ski

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #712 on: September 21, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »
SILENT SKIES (Thomas Englund & Vikram Shankar) - Solitude // Official Music Video

Sounds really nice.

I saw it a few hours ago and was stunned.

Tom is so fucking ridiculously underrated as a singer.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: September 22, 2020, 07:52:32 AM »
Yea, the two songs this duo has released are very nice and Tom sounds very good on them.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #714 on: November 30, 2020, 03:39:13 PM »
New album cover...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #715 on: November 30, 2020, 04:39:23 PM »
I like the new cover

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: November 30, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »
Wow!  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: November 30, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »
Cover is cool, new single should be out on Friday so I'm looking forward to checking it out

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #718 on: December 01, 2020, 05:29:18 AM »
Yeah, that's hella sexy.  Can't wait for Feb.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #719 on: December 01, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »
A quick riffage teaser. Not showing much but it seems to be a continuation of where The Atlantic left off in terms of sound. https://www.facebook.com/Evergrey/posts/221256682694187

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #720 on: December 03, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Can't wait for some new Evergrey, I think we all new to drain our emotions over an epic Evergrey song.  :tup

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #721 on: December 03, 2020, 04:07:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L339xdHOZYQ

A bit of a shame. To me, the vocals sound just a bit down in the mix. Kickass song, though.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #722 on: December 03, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »

A bit of a shame. To me, the vocals sound just a bit down in the mix. Kickass song, though.

If you liked The Atlantic this will be a no brainer.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #723 on: December 04, 2020, 02:54:47 AM »
Pretty good track, like the tempo.

Just a solid track. Not as great as King of Errors or A Silent Arc, but just very solid. Indicative of probably another very good or hopefully great Evergrey album.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: December 04, 2020, 04:40:49 AM »
I thought that track was pretty good.  Nice start for the album.  Reminds me a lot of GC actually.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: December 04, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »

Yea, the vocals seem low.  Not loving this mix, but song itself is solid.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #726 on: December 08, 2020, 09:15:59 AM »
I received my promo copy via email this morning. Enjoying it so far. I'm not really an Evergrey fan, per se. But I feel like I should be, so I keep trying. Really enjoying it through the first few tracks. For me, a lot of my enjoyment of progressive hard rock and metal comes from the melody and connection with the singer's voice. I've always struggled in that regard with Thomas Englund. Part of it, admittedly, is that my ear really picks up his accent, which for whatever reason, I react poorly to singers with thicker accents. If it sounds ridiculous -- I agree with you, it is. But things resonate or don't resonate based on how its received. So while I feel dumb even saying that, it's true.

But as I sit here going through my initial listen, while I am picking up on it, it's affecting me less, which is a good thing. I've tried for years to get into them for about 12 years now, so I am hoping Escaping of the Phoenix is the record that does it.

The first track is a booming opener. Aggressive, heavy. The second cut is more more melodic. The third is a ballad. Piano and Tom until about 1:20, then the slow-paced, but heavy riff starts. That's as far as I am up to so far. I know that's not much. But diggin' it so far. I will say, the third track is a little early to go full-on ballad...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #727 on: December 08, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
I'm glad that you're starting to enjoy the band!  Can't wait for the new record, though the band is sounding very "samey" to me after the last 3-4 records now.  The first 6 albums really sounded different from each other. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: December 08, 2020, 11:39:37 AM »
You got me into ICED EARTH, so I will always try with Evergrey.

Labrie is a guest on track 4, The Beholder. Nice surprise. I didn't know, and I was here on this board when his voice popped up.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: December 08, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »
You got me into ICED EARTH, so I will always try with Evergrey.

Labrie is a guest on track 4, The Beholder. Nice surprise. I didn't know, and I was here on this board when his voice popped up.  :lol

Wow, that is a surprise.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: December 08, 2020, 01:04:13 PM »
That is pretty surprising, I don't recall seeing either JLB or Evergrey mentioning this on social media

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: December 08, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
Well, I received nothing that SAYS he is, but when I listen to that track, Tom and JLB were singing lines. The Pirate's voice is pretty distinct!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: December 08, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »
Well, I received nothing that SAYS he is, but when I listen to that track, Tom and JLB were singing lines. The Pirate's voice is pretty distinct!

Well, I saw a review of the album on FB that wouldn't name who it is but hinted at it being a very known singer so I don't doubt you at all.  I guess they want it to be a surprise more so than something they are promoting for now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: December 08, 2020, 03:09:30 PM »
I think it's great they kept it quiet and didn't use that to try and boost their profile or sales.  Tom seems like a super classy guy.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: December 08, 2020, 03:48:14 PM »