Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 102568 times)

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #525 on: September 29, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »

Here it is, and if I am being perfectly honest, it's hard for me to get excited over. I love this band to death, but I can't take another video like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcfCIkL4JCs

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: September 29, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »
I'm a big hiker, so I love these videos.  I can connect with myself on a deep level when I'm alone in the wilderness, and I feel like that's the vibe Tom is shooting for in these outdoorsy videos.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: September 29, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
Yea I have to agree, the random walk on Island is getting ridiculus. Seems like they probably shot all videos during one session and at the same location. Nice cinematics though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #528 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »

They're undoubtedly well made. No question about it. But damn, *anything* can be overdone, and that's what has happened here.  Then you throw in the fact that the song choices are bizarre. We now have THREE videos within the last two albums that don't even include the band.

I can't help but wonder why they didn't just make the lyric video for "The Impossible" and the official video for "Passing Through" instead.

I'm only a little excited for the video for "In Orbit", and the good news is, it *won't* be similar to the other three, but I still think they were long overdue for an all out ass kicker for a video, and "My Allied Ocean" would have been perfect.

Again, I totally love the band, but some of their decisions just drive me batty.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: September 29, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
They are obviously going for something with the similar videos.  maybe it's going to climax to something?  Seems weird to do a video for a 3 minute piano ballad.  I still have to find this album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: September 29, 2016, 02:35:11 PM »
Keyboardist Rik Zander called the three videos the "Icelandic trilogy" on Facebook.  I agree they're a little bit samey, but I personally love watching these high-quality scenic videos on my big-screen TV.  And I can relate to exploring one's soul while exploring the environment.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #531 on: September 29, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »
Good thing I give zero fucks about music videos.

This album is amazing. 

Offline NunoTenniscourt

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2016, 10:04:22 AM »
cool video, cool song, excellent album  :metal

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: October 25, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »
Love it!  Wonderful song as well.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #535 on: October 25, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
So far my only live experience with Evergrey has been in 2005, when they supported none other that our own James LaBrie on his solo tour.

Funny anedocte, at time I was chatting online a lot with a german friend met on the Blind Guardian forums and at Wacken, she was a big Evergrey fan - she was actually the one to tell me to listen to them when it came out I didn't know who the support band for James was - and when I asked her "Do you want me to say anything to them should I meet them?" she said "Yes, tell them that if they won't play Recreation Day at the acoustic gig in Bochum, I'll kill them!"  ;D

Sure enough, after the show I walked up to Tom Englund and told him exactly that. My friend couldn't believe I actually did that  ;D (for the record, they played the song, as he told me they would hehe!)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: October 25, 2016, 08:42:31 PM »
Finally ordered this album, still haven't heard it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #537 on: October 26, 2016, 02:49:19 AM »
The Storm Within is definitely one of my favorite Everygrey albums.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2016, 04:09:06 AM »
I like the song but not sure why they got Floor on it, other than the publicity she might bring now that she is in NW. She didn't really do anything special on it and her part was quite small.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2016, 05:33:54 AM »

New video..

https://loudwire.com/evergrey-featuring-floor-jansen-in-orbit-exclusive-video-premiere/

What a great song.  But agree with abydos, no need for Floor here at all, but whatever.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #540 on: October 26, 2016, 05:52:13 AM »
I like the song but not sure why they got Floor on it, other than the publicity she might bring now that she is in NW. She didn't really do anything special on it and her part was quite small.
I think yes publicity but I also heard that Tom and his wife are close friends with Floor so maybe it just was something they wanted to do together, I don't know. "We don't have a proper duet together but we have some time and a song with Floor, so why the fuck not"
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #541 on: October 26, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »

Yeah, the story is, Floor and Tom's wife had a discussion over a glass of wine about her doing a song.

I don't think her contribution resulted in something unforgettable, but I don't mind it, either. She looks pretty hot in the video, too. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: October 27, 2016, 05:35:13 AM »

Yeah, the story is, Floor and Tom's wife had a discussion over a glass of wine about her doing a song.

I don't think her contribution resulted in something unforgettable, but I don't mind it, either. She looks pretty hot in the video, too.

Meh, if that was the case, I think the album version should have just had Tom and perhaps they should have had this version as a bonus track or something IMO.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #543 on: October 27, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
I recall on a Dutch show where Floor was in a Finnish record store with a Dutch presenter, she was buying (or at least showing to the camera) Hymns for the Broken, so I guess she really likes Evergrey or is indeed friends with Tom and his wife.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #544 on: October 27, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »

Meh, if that was the case, I think the album version should have just had Tom and perhaps they should have had this version as a bonus track or something IMO.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I remember being excited about the thought of her contributions before the album was released, but as I said, it really left me
feeling a bit neutral after hearing it. Tom could have very easily handled this on his own.

I feel the same way about "Disconnect", too. The soprano runs are a nice subtle touch, but the song certainly wouldn't have suffered without them.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #545 on: November 03, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »

Oh, man. I am absolutely elated. They announced just a little while ago they are playing a small venue
about 5 miles from my house.

I FINALLY get to see them.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: November 04, 2016, 05:41:30 AM »
Finally got a copy of this bad boy.  Can't wait to listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: November 10, 2016, 05:09:50 AM »
This album is really good.  Not as epic as Hymns, but pretty close.  The Paranoid cover is incredible.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #548 on: November 24, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »
I enjoy the new album. It is not as good as Hymns but I consider that their best album so that's no shame.

Also, I am listening to the latest DGM and it has a great and prominent guest appearance by Tom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOIyGkxE3w

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: November 25, 2016, 04:28:35 AM »
Also, I am listening to the latest DGM and it has a great and prominent guest appearance by Tom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOIyGkxE3w

Best song on the album by a mile.  Tom has such a unique and distinct voice, he's incredible.

I'm loving the new album.  I think it could be more consistent than Hyms but doesn't have the highs like Hymns did (Errors, Aftermath)

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #550 on: November 25, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »
This album is really good.  Not as epic as Hymns, but pretty close.  The Paranoid cover is incredible.

Yeah, it's a perfect example of a cover tune done right. I'm sure a lot of die hard Sabbath fans would probably shit all over it if they heard it, though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #551 on: November 25, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
Thanks for posting that, never really heard DGM or I don't think so. Anyway that was a killer track and Toms voice worked great and I especially liked the mix between the original singer and Tom.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #552 on: November 28, 2016, 06:08:02 AM »
Btw was listening to DGMs Reason and was like: "they're like the perfect mix between DT and Symphony X" before realising who actually sings on the song.  :facepalm:

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #553 on: March 08, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
Bumping this one up.  I hadn't listened to them in a while, save for the new album (PASSING THROUGH  :metal).  I listened to the first Nightrage album that has Tom on guest vocals and had the urge to play a bunch of Evergrey.  Now I'm going through all of the records and remembering why I love them so much.

Truly a fantastic band that adds some much needed darkness to prog metal.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #554 on: March 08, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »
Btw was listening to DGMs Reason and was like: "they're like the perfect mix between DT and Symphony X" before realising who actually sings on the song.  :facepalm:

The last two DGM albums are /JLB voice "pphhhnenomenal". Some pretty kick ass material if you are looking for prog metal on the edgy side.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #555 on: March 08, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »
I wish May 6th would hurry up and get here. I FINALLY get to see them live. It's at a super small venue, and I know the owners.
I doubt they will, but I hope they do "The Grand Collapse".

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #556 on: March 08, 2017, 02:15:06 PM »
I wish May 6th would hurry up and get here. I FINALLY get to see them live. It's at a super small venue, and I know the owners.
I doubt they will, but I hope they do "The Grand Collapse".

Their live show is great. I've seen them once in Dallas. I hope to see them in May in San Antonio.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
No NY dates on the tour?  Not cool!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #558 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »
No Philly date? Also not cool  :'(

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: March 10, 2017, 04:57:56 AM »
Spinning The Inner Circle today. There's a couple of tracks I haven't payed that much attention to before like The Essence of Conviction.  :tup Again like in other songs the spoken words part works great with that melody, very moody.