Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 102858 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
funny how I probably haven't listened to these guys in 4 or 5 years. But In Search of Truth has always been an album I enjoy.
I'd say that the two that followed it were a lot better, but they've been a little weaker since then (although still good, and I haven't heard the new album yet!)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
funny how I probably haven't listened to these guys in 4 or 5 years. But In Search of Truth has always been an album I enjoy.
I'd say that the two that followed it were a lot better, but they've been a little weaker since then (although still good, and I haven't heard the new album yet!)
Check it out! It's their strongest since TIC, easily  :heart

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 04:03:47 AM »

Now, I haven't given it a spin yet, but I don't see how it could possibly surpass Recreation Day.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »

Now, I haven't given it a spin yet, but I don't see how it could possibly surpass Recreation Day.
Pretty sure Recreation Day was before TIC. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:17 AM »
Yeah.

Recreation Day > 2003
TIC > 2004

Recreation Day is my favorite, though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 08:26:10 AM »
Just rediscovered these guys again, possibly the greatest band within their niche. I just checked out Glorious Collision. It doesn't do a lot for me, but at least it DEFINATELY sounds like Evergrey again. Been spinning ISOT, RD and TIC in the car and they've been great!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
funny how I probably haven't listened to these guys in 4 or 5 years. But In Search of Truth has always
been an album I enjoy.

Pretty sure Recreation Day was before TIC. :P

Whoops.   :facepalm: Thought you were talking about ISOT for some strange reason, my mistake.  Your statement definitely makes more sense now. Although I was quite keen on MMA.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 05:37:55 AM »
Listening to Glorious Collision for the first time right now.  Only up to track 2, but right away I know this is gonna be better than Torn.

The first song is amazing, great riffs and chorus hook.  Great solos too.  Second track definitely had a Inner Circle type of feel.  I will say I think the production is ordinary, even terrible.  Everything is so compressed which kills a lot of the dynamics of the music.  Also the hi hat sound is very high in treble and is a little annoying.  I'm sure I'll get over it.

Wow, track 3 is wonderful.  Great guitar melody and excellent chorus. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 05:56:17 AM »
I saw these guys live at the festival Peace and Love three years ago, they were awesome. I'm gonna see them again at the MetalTown festival in couple of months. (Together with *cough* SoaD...)  :metal

I actually don't own any album by them, which one is seen as their magnum opus around here?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 06:39:46 AM »
I will say I think the production is ordinary, even terrible.  Everything is so compressed which kills a lot of the dynamics of the music.
Wut? I can only assume that you're listening to a stream or a dodgy download, because I listened on Spotify and it sounds fine, better than the last two. Actually probably their second best sounding album behind Recreation Day (Inner Circle is their masterpiece, but the production isn't great).

But yeah it's a very solid album, they seem to be getting closer to form with each album now.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 10:16:33 AM »
I will say I think the production is ordinary, even terrible.  Everything is so compressed which kills a lot of the dynamics of the music.
Wut? I can only assume that you're listening to a stream or a dodgy download, because I listened on Spotify and it sounds fine, better than the last two. Actually probably their second best sounding album behind Recreation Day (Inner Circle is their masterpiece, but the production isn't great).

Man, 'The Inner Circle' has my favorite Evergrey production. I really love the roomy sound it has, the drums and guitars are good. Low end's pretty tight, and the whole thing is not too compressed. Recreation Day's sound has its charm, but especially the busy parts (like the beginning of the album) sound really muddy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »

But yeah it's a very solid album, they seem to be getting closer to form with each album now.

Nope, I'm listening to the phsyical cd.  I'm listening to it now today with fresh ears and it does sound a lot better, but still not up to par with TIC, RS and ISOT IMHO.

Gotta say though I've listened to about 7 songs and all of them are very very strong, great stuff, looking forward to listening more.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
Hmm, strange, I was only listening on Spotify and I thought it sounded fine.

@Pixel: I know what you mean about TIC, the production works fine and doesn't hinder the quality of the listening experience at all (it's still one of my favourite ever albums) but I do find it a little... underproduced maybe? I dunno, just not that great sounding.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
It's sounding pretty good on my stereo at the moment.  Still a little muddy and the cymbals either too much treble or a little high in the mix. 

Leave it Behind Us is a great opener and simply a killer Evergrey song.  Wrong is amazing.  I love the guitar melody at the start, that's something a little different from Evergrey but it's extra melodic so I love it, the outro solo too is killer.  To Fit the Mold is absolutely incredible, great chorus, great vocals and a superb solo section.

The new boys seem to fit in well too, solos are really good.  I'm happy Zander gets a little more work on this album and obviously him helping Tom with the songwriting is really what this album needed.  Drums are solid, nothing spectacular but good.  Patrick Carlsson is still the best drummer this band has ever had.  I wish he continued with music, his drums on RD simply is some of the greatest drum work, and his sound was incredible.  I really think the band has suffered ever since he left.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »
I just listened to some tracks off of 'Glorious Collision' and then checked back to ISOT and RD. What I find is that the adventurous rythms, the breakneck (and fun!) riffs and a large part of the gothicness is just.. gone. Vocals.. on earlier records he sings with way more power and balls. This new Evergrey really sounds like just 'normal' songs with normal singing, decorated with metal guitars and gentle keys. I'm really surprised people are reacting so well to it. Adding to that, it's their worst sounding record I've heard. And there's even some interviews with guys from Evergrey about how they got an engineer especially for the drums. Then why does the snare just flat out suck?

Alright, that's a lot of negative stuff. Don't mean to come across like that, as I certainly find even their new album at least enjoyable. Glad that they're still around and I hope they'll gel even more on their next record. It's already pretty impressive they got this result with the fresh line up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »
I just listened to some tracks off of 'Glorious Collision' and then checked back to ISOT and RD. What I find is that the adventurous rythms, the breakneck (and fun!) riffs and a large part of the gothicness is just.. gone. Vocals.. on earlier records he sings with way more power and balls. This new Evergrey really sounds like just 'normal' songs with normal singing, decorated with metal guitars and gentle keys. I'm really surprised people are reacting so well to it. Adding to that, it's their worst sounding record I've heard. And there's even some interviews with guys from Evergrey about how they got an engineer especially for the drums. Then why does the snare just flat out suck?

Alright, that's a lot of negative stuff. Don't mean to come across like that, as I certainly find even their new album at least enjoyable. Glad that they're still around and I hope they'll gel even more on their next record. It's already pretty impressive they got this result with the fresh line up.

Have to agree.  I really like Glorious Collision it's better than Torn, but that's about it at the moment, a great record though.  It just sounds like some of the fire that there was on ISOT and RD is gone.  I's glory days though, are long gone.really think it has a lot to do with the drums, the band has suffered ever since Patrick left, he drove the band so damn well.  They seem a little less adventerous, but I guess bands change and style change and develop, since GC really only has Tom and Zander, I'm pleased with the outcome.  The bands

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »
I actually don't own any album by them, which one is seen as their magnum opus around here?

Recreation Day.  Anybody who tells you anything different is a liar.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011, 02:40:54 AM »

Except that The Inner Circle is better.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 04:19:42 AM »

This.

Except that The Inner Circle is better.

No.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
The Inner Circle is their absolute best. It's also the last good thing they released.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2011, 04:57:28 AM »
I am a HUGE fan of Monday Morning Apocalypse.  I really don't know why that got so much hate, a great album filled with a lot of great catchy songs.

After a few more listens to Glorious Collision, I gotta say it's not as impressive as what it was on the first listen.  The songs are great, but really overall just seem to lack the punch that this band had in it's ISOT/RD days.  Even Monday Morning had more life to it than this record does.  I don't mind it for what it is, but when it's stacked up against their older stuff, it comes off very average.  IMO, second worst Evergrey album, just slightly better than Torn.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »
I still think MMA is their worst album, while still being good. GC is Evergrey in full force.

But the main reason I'm bumping this thread is because I listened to some Evergrey last night for the first time in a long time. They're still awesome  :metal I've always had a tough trouble deciding between RD, TIC, and ISoT as my favorite album by them, but it's definitely one of those 3. I fogot how great they are--heavy, complex, skilled, powerful, dark, and emotional.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2011, 07:10:39 AM »
Yep, excellent band indeed.  I haven't revisited GC since it's release unfortunately.  It showed promise but the production killed it.  Torn is still their weakest though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
Inner Circle is still easily my favourite, and was VERY close to being in my top 50. Such a powerful album!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2011, 11:58:09 PM »
I still need to pick up Recreation Day sometime. Already have ISoT, TIC, and SDT.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
Recreation Day is awesome. Highly recommended.

Speaking of SDT (lolstd), that album is severely underrated. It has some of their best songs on it: Solitude Within, Nosferatu, She Speaks to the Dead, and When Darkness Falls. Nosferatu is especially awesome live on A Night To Remember.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
I agree, Nosferatu and She Speaks are great. :hat

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
CALL OFF YOUR ANGELS OR I'LL MAKE THEM STAY (NOSFERATU)
MY FATE IS WRITTEN AND I'LL MAKE YOU FALL FROM GRACE (NOSFERATU)
YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR BREATHING LIFE (NOSFERATU)
ONLY TO BE REBORN IN MINE (NOSFERATU)

:metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
She Speaks to the Dead is one of my favs.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
I just listened to A Touch of Blessing. I really really dug it. What do?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »

Listen to more Evergrey, duh!

What are you doing here Ravenheart?  I thought you only listened to shitty music.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
What are you doing here Ravenheart?  I thought you only listened to shitty music.

Please don't let Ryan see this!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »

Listen to more Evergrey, duh!

What are you doing here Ravenheart?  I thought you only listened to shitty music.

No shit, but what album? And I think I'm starting to like Zander more and more. First, Emilie Autumn, now this...

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 01:50:23 PM »
Don't mind me. I'm just trolling. This is one big troll thread.