Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117873 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour
« Reply #1120 on: April 10, 2023, 04:56:06 PM »
I feel Ghost is at their peak right now, I hope they can maintain for a bit because I can’t get enough of them.  They’re just plain fun.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1121 on: May 15, 2023, 11:41:03 PM »
Phantom of the opera

This was a cool cover!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: May 16, 2023, 08:12:38 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1123 on: May 16, 2023, 08:27:57 AM »
That Maiden cover is awesome!   :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1124 on: May 16, 2023, 08:38:44 PM »
Both new covers are great. Honestly, I prefer them to anything from Impera.  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: May 16, 2023, 09:32:03 PM »
Well done, Ghouls, well done indeed! In the Maiden countdown thread, I had Phantom at #2. I really enjoyed this rendition, though I don't know how much, if any, I will listen to it, due to my love for the original.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1126 on: May 18, 2023, 06:10:09 AM »
Great cover in the instrumentation. Vocally, not really into it, but he adds that unique Ghost flavour.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: May 18, 2023, 08:20:09 AM »
Check out the solo in Hanging Around. It sounds like Metallica's Fade To Black at around 2:49. I'm sure it was intentional :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1128 on: May 19, 2023, 03:33:26 AM »
Check out the solo in Hanging Around. It sounds like Metallica's Fade To Black at around 2:49. I'm sure it was intentional :P
Yea, I just noticed that. It's so obvious it must be a nod.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1129 on: May 19, 2023, 08:03:51 AM »
Ha! It totally sounds like a nod!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: May 25, 2023, 05:47:58 AM »
I wonder if Ghost are going to play We Don't Need Another Hero in honor of Tina Turner in the coming days? They have a show in France tonight. I see they haven't performed it live yet (only the Genesis cover from the EP so far).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1131 on: May 25, 2023, 09:45:19 AM »
I'm really loving Phantomime. Some bands are just great at picking covers that work for them. Ghost is one of those bands for me. They make it their own but celebrate the original.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1132 on: May 30, 2023, 04:53:26 AM »
Saw them last night in Milan, amazing show, just like last year's.

Right now Ghost are one of the best live bands around to see. The full production, the grandeur, everything screams "big stadium act". Absolutely entertaining from beginning to end!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1133 on: June 02, 2023, 09:38:47 AM »
Phantomime so far is my least favorite covers EP of theirs. How do I put this... it felt  like Tobias doing karaoke (doing it well) and not him putting a Ghost spin on a song. He just set the bar so high with his covers.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1135 on: October 17, 2023, 01:24:58 AM »
So... what's this thing about Papa Emeritus IV nonchalantly saying in Brisbane that it's his last show?  :eek

I know they can't do the same thing over and over, but every Papa has been retired on stage, it just feels off for him to just say "it's my last show". Does this also imply that the Imperatour is over and that there won't be any more legs before the new album cycle?

Let's also remember that they filmed the two Los Angeles shows, for which Tobias has been saying that it's not "just" a normal concert film; could they be that they go all the way with the theatrics, and they organize the departure of Emeritus IV not in front of a live audience, but filmed as it was a movie?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1136 on: October 17, 2023, 01:31:52 AM »
Tobias probably realizes the potential of the succession being professionally filmed in a different setting. They've done the concert thing already. This will go even more viral.  ;D

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1137 on: October 17, 2023, 08:39:30 AM »
So... what's this thing about Papa Emeritus IV nonchalantly saying in Brisbane that it's his last show?  :eek

I know they can't do the same thing over and over, but every Papa has been retired on stage, it just feels off for him to just say "it's my last show". Does this also imply that the Imperatour is over and that there won't be any more legs before the new album cycle?

Let's also remember that they filmed the two Los Angeles shows, for which Tobias has been saying that it's not "just" a normal concert film; could they be that they go all the way with the theatrics, and they organize the departure of Emeritus IV not in front of a live audience, but filmed as it was a movie?
Oh that makes sense. I would for sure say he is going to be killed off, retired, whatever Tobias has kicked up in the film itself.

Also hope they release just the concert itself too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: October 18, 2023, 01:10:16 PM »
Yeah, I have to think the LA shows have something to do with the video they are working on and him just saying this instead of showing it on stage.  It's likely all tied together to this video and we'll see it sometime next year.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: November 11, 2023, 11:13:33 AM »
They've been Grammy nominated again - Best Metal Performance for the cover song "Phantom Of The Opera".

The nominees are:

Disturbed - "Bad Man"
Ghost - "Phantom Of The Opera"
Metallica - "72 Seasons"
Slipknot - "Hive Mind"
Spiritbox - "Jaded"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: November 13, 2023, 10:05:51 AM »
Jaded is probably the best song on that list, IMO. 

Kind of weird to include this Ghost song as a grammy nomination, being a cover and while I think they do a great job on it, was it even a single?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1141 on: November 13, 2023, 12:20:17 PM »
Also, it was the most basic cover. There are plenty of covers that are made their own by a band, and there are some cases of covers so popular, that the public doesn't even know it's a cover in the first place. And without going into "legendary covers" territory, let's just look at the EP they put out - Jesus He Knows Me has been made into a very different thing than the original, it has been modernized and "metalized". Phantom of the Opera is just the original song played by the band and sung by Tobias.