Author Topic: WDaDU Appreciation  (Read 24902 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: WDaDU Appreciation
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2021, 06:12:58 PM »
Always loved the album.

Offline Glasser

Re: WDADU Appreciation
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »
I have a small contingent of friends convinced that When Dream and Day Unite is the greatest thing DT has done and nothing since then even compares.

PS They actually exist.

This album stands alone. Should never be compared to any other albums. When this album came out I was hooked!!!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2021, 06:16:30 PM »
For those interested, I posted the When Dream and Day ReUnite Commentary to my Youtube Channel a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TyUCAEQlyY

Offline Glasser

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »
Easily their worst album, but it does have a few good songs that get overlooked because of the poor production and Charlie's vocals. Afterlife is a great rocking song, A Fortune In Lies is a great song too, Ytse Jam is as good as any of their other instrumentals, and although I don't like the studio version of it, The Killing Hand sounds great on Marquee. The rest is throwaway.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2021, 09:07:56 AM »
There are few things that hit harder than responding to a 12 year old post.   :|
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »
There are few things that hit harder than responding to a 12 year old post.   :|
Indeed.

I will assume that Glasser did not notice the date stamp.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2021, 02:35:54 PM »

The album has always been worth it.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2021, 02:58:39 AM »
A Fortune In Lies
The Killing Hand (best track on the album)
Light Fuse And Get Away (I wish they'd write a new arrangement of it and play it in their sets)
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Only A Matter Of Time

All belong on a top 50 DT songs list. DT's debut is largely overshadowed by everything else they did but it's a solid debut album.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2021, 08:29:28 AM »
From the second listen onward, WDADU became my personal favorite DT album, and that has not changed. Is it their best? No way, but there are certain elements to it that I absolutely love. Imagine all the things people don't like about it. Those are probably the things I like.

I've wanted to find other music in a similar vein, except that last time I asked here, it was scoffed at. I accept my opinion having basically no value due to some stupid posts I've made in the past, but if anyone knows of anything that sounds like WDADU, please pm me...

Edit: deafening silence

I really am invisible here.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:48:29 AM by SuperTaco »
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline bobzor

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2021, 06:12:49 AM »
EDIT: mistake post, sorry. delete

Offline Trav86

« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2021, 06:52:27 AM »
Ready for a controversial opinion?

Status Seeker is my favorite song on this album. And it’s probably a top 20 DT song for me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2021, 10:21:26 AM »
Ready for a controversial opinion?

Status Seeker is my favorite song on this album. And it’s probably a top 20 DT song for me.

I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!!!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2021, 12:49:00 PM »
James LaBrie - The Killing Hand recent performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYn_dzB2OFg
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2021, 03:16:06 PM »

Another, probably, controversial opinion. The Killing Hand is the only WDADU track where I prefer James singing. I just attach those songs to Charlie’s voice. But James smokes it on Live at the Marquee. And don’t get me wrong, I like Charlie on that song, and I usually like James on all of the others as well. Just preference and the way I connect Charlie’s voice to those songs.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2021, 08:20:09 PM »

Another, probably, controversial opinion. The Killing Hand is the only WDADU track where I prefer James singing. I just attach those songs to Charlie’s voice. But James smokes it on Live at the Marquee. And don’t get me wrong, I like Charlie on that song, and I usually like James on all of the others as well. Just preference and the way I connect Charlie’s voice to those songs.

I'm glad we live in a world where Charlie is on that album and James is on every album since then. I just wish we had high quality live versions of those songs with Charlie, maybe singing a bit more in his natural range. If I had to choose, I guess I would probably choose James over Charlie on that album but if I had to make a choice that would change history and Charlie was no longer on it, there's no way I would go there. DT worked out pretty good the way it all panned out.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2021, 09:12:06 PM »
Deleted
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2023, 06:57:43 PM »
This album is now available on Apple Music. It’s been invisible for years on everything streaming……wonder what has changed? I thought DT didn’t even have the rights to it?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2023, 07:14:21 PM »
I've had A Fortune of Lies on my DT playlist since 2013, are you sure? Edit: on Spotify

Unless that was the only one available at the time, sometimes albums will only have select songs available for some reason.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2023, 07:27:17 PM »
I've had A Fortune of Lies on my DT playlist since 2013, are you sure? Edit: on Spotify

Unless that was the only one available at the time, sometimes albums will only have select songs available for some reason.

None of it was available on Apple Music until recently.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »
Yea it was appeared fairly recently on Spotify too, unless you were running a local file from Spotify.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2023, 08:09:59 PM »
You're probably right, as I would have added Ytse Jam to my playlist back when I made it, and that song wasn't on my playlist. So maybe AFIL was the only one available.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2023, 12:21:30 PM »
I've always liked that album.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2023, 02:53:54 PM »
Love it! I remember when it was the only DT album, says the fogey.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2023, 02:05:53 AM »
This album rates pretty highly for me, and I'm sure some of the bias is due to it being the first album I got (being it was 1989). Love the album - for me it probably is my third favorite behind SDoIT disc 1 and BCaSL.

Scotty, out of curiousity, I really am interested in how you would rank them now, so much later...

I love When Dream and Day Unite... I only can't grab my hands around The One Who Help to Set the Sun. I mean, those lyrics, where are they going?
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2023, 03:04:00 PM »
This album rates pretty highly for me, and I'm sure some of the bias is due to it being the first album I got (being it was 1989). Love the album - for me it probably is my third favorite behind SDoIT disc 1 and BCaSL.

Scotty, out of curiousity, I really am interested in how you would rank them now, so much later...

I love When Dream and Day Unite... I only can't grab my hands around The One Who Help to Set the Sun. I mean, those lyrics, where are they going?

I think JP discusses them in the DVD commentary. Great great album btw as if I need to say it again.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2023, 06:21:59 AM »

This is from Scotty in the recent album ranking thread:

If this had been my first experience with DT instead of I&W, I imagine I'd rank it differently. But falling in love with I&W, and then Awake, and then years later discovering this consigns it to 15th.
That's a great point; I think that's a part of it for me as well.
As one of the few who got into the band in 1989, I can confirm this to be the case. For that reason, I actually ended up ranking it at #2. Yes, it actually is that special to me. While not surprising, it goes without saying that I'm disappointed to see it finish dead last. I was hoping that it would at least end up as 14 or even 13. Guess not.   :sad:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57682.msg2921426#msg2921426
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2023, 01:01:11 PM »
I think JP discusses them in the DVD commentary. Great great album btw as if I need to say it again.

That sounds very interesting, never heard of a DVD commentary related to this album.

Thanks Vmadera00, looks like Scotty is real dedicated on this one. But it being his first, I can follow that surely...

Offline Bentower

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2023, 01:38:11 PM »

That sounds very interesting, never heard of a DVD commentary related to this album.

Here it is on YouTube: ttps://youtu.be/2TyUCAEQlyY
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2023, 03:10:42 PM »
If WDADU had been my first exposure to DT, I would have been quite doubtful about any future releases.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2023, 09:13:04 AM »

It's on the Ytse Jam Records When Dream and Day Reunite release.  The band commentary track on that DVD is EXCELLENT.  You've never heard John Myung speak so much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »
You've never heard John Myung speak so much.

Lol. I really watched the whole 'I still remember When Dream and Day' docu and was constantly waiting for this Myung-lyrical-break through... but then, of course, he doesn't say a word. However, really enjoyed it so thanks to you'll for the link.