Author Topic: WDaDU Appreciation  (Read 24806 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: WDaDU Appreciation
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
</3
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »
I just don't understand how it came to this.

-on topic-

So yea AH/TKH is probably a top 20 song for me. :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
I just don't understand how it came to this.

-on topic-

So yea AH/TKH is probably a top 10 song for me. :JayOctavarium:
:metal

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
The Live at the Marquee versions of the songs are great!

I don't have the original yet.

Edit: Post Number AMERICA!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:51:40 PM by Cedar redaC »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »
To prepare for my top 50 writeups, I'm doing a runthru of DT's discography. WDADU...is terrible. Yes I said it. It's awful. It may be of biographical value to a DT fan, it may be fun to speculate what was going through the teenage minds of young DT, but the music and the production are extremely subpar. I don't think I'm ever going to willfully listen to WDADU again.

How is this appreciating WDADU?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »
To prepare for my top 50 writeups, I'm doing a runthru of DT's discography. WDADU...is terrible. Yes I said it. It's awful. It may be of biographical value to a DT fan, it may be fun to speculate what was going through the teenage minds of young DT, but the music and the production are extremely subpar. I don't think I'm ever going to willfully listen to WDADU again.

Hey, we need to keep a few dissindents alive to make the world think the boards are a democracy   :rollin
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Ħ

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »

I guess it isn't. Apologies. This just seemed like the best place to comment on WDADU.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2013, 01:15:24 PM »
Shun

SHHHHHUUUUUUUUNNNNNN
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2013, 12:20:08 AM »

I guess it isn't. Apologies. This just seemed like the best place to comment on WDADU.

It's fine. It's not like people are always that courteous in every other "appreciation" thread.  :\
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »
Just reviving this thread to say that after all these years, this album finally clicked with me. It must be my constant playing of Afterlife because of the 30th anniversary set of DT, which I made into a playlist last year. Now, I finally appreciate all the songs. Even Status Seeker, which I find charming.  :lol

My favorites are Afterlife (which is a top half DT song for me now), The Killing Hand and The Ones Who Help Set The Sun. I was especially surprised by my liking the last one. I love how the slow moody keyboard intro sounded like a section in Yes' Endless Dream. And I swear that the initial guitar pattern is something I have heard in a Steven Wilson record, but I could be wrong.  :lol

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2016, 11:58:03 PM »
I love WDADU. Not particularly high up on my favorite DT albums list, but I definitely like it more than the last 4 DT releases.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »
So many good songs on this album. A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand, Afterlife, Only a Matter of Time, and Ytsejam are all A+ songs in my book. I really like Status Seeker, and the lyrics for Light Fuse, too. Ones Who Help has a great riff, love the 7 feel in that song. Really just a great album and it gets a bad rap because of stupid things like "bad production" and "Charlie Dominici." :P
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2016, 11:05:34 PM »
Man, I thought it was bad enough when I revived this thread after 2 years  :lol

Can't believe it's been 5 years now..

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2016, 12:41:43 AM »
Really just a great album and it gets a bad rap because of stupid things like "bad production" and "Charlie Dominici." :P

Nope. The songwriting is a big reason why people don't like it also.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2016, 02:12:15 AM »
'Mechanic Records, how may I help you?!'
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2016, 06:32:21 AM »
Really just a great album and it gets a bad rap because of stupid things like "bad production" and "Charlie Dominici." :P

Yes, that's true, but the "songwriting" is a big reason why people don't like it also.

FTFY. And I would disagree with those people who feel the songwriting is bad. I appreciate the songwriting very much.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
I meant that people don't dislike it only because the production or the vocals.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »

Yes, that's true, but the "songwriting" is a big reason why people don't like it also.

FTFY. And I would disagree with those people who feel the songwriting is bad. I appreciate the songwriting very much.

That quote didn't need fixing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
My original statement was not meant to be taken seriously. Neither was the quote fix. No big deal, though.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
Not a big deal? Everything is a big deal! This is the INTERNET. :biggrin:

Offline RJ86

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »
Apparently this is an old thread revived.. I'll chime in on this.

I think sometimes it's when you first heard something as to whether you like it or not. I bought this CD pretty much the week it was released. I had no knowledge of the band, just went on the recommendation of a guy that worked in the local record store.
At the time WDADU came out, most of my friends were listening to the latest Poison, Bon Jovi, Tesla, Skid Row, etc.. Long hair and some cheesy acoustic ballad. I was always digging for something different. Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Fates Warning, Yngwie, the Shrapnel records guitar players, etc..

WDADU was so much different than anything my 20 year old ears had heard at that time. I really liked Dominici's unique voice and the musicianship was fantastic. Sure the production was not good. But at that time, this was not the first no name band to have a poorly produced album with their rookie effort. I could look past it. Lyrically? I never really pay too much attention to lyrics meanings. It was and still is a non-issue for me. And to this day, WDADU still gets played quite frequently and remains one of my favorite DT albums.. I like every song on it.

Always curious, does anyone know how many copies of WDADU were sold in that first year?

Offline Bill

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
Just been listening to this album for the first few times. What is the story regarding remastering? I've read bits and pieces...has the whole album ever been remastered, or some of the individual songs?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »
Just been listening to this album for the first few times. What is the story regarding remastering? I've read bits and pieces...has the whole album ever been remastered, or some of the individual songs?
The whole album was remastered - in this case, mostly a volume boost more than anything else. Most likely you have a copy of the remaster since it was released many years ago.

However, what is still needed for the whole album, is a remix since the overall mix is muddy and lacking. There were promotional CD singles released for both Status Seeker and Afterlife that were mixed by Terry Brown (of Rush fame) that sound much better than the originals. But I would love to see what could be done if the album was properly mixed in this day and age - I'm sure it would be much much better and a lot of the hate for the album would dissipate. Maybe even Blob might like the album.  ;)  Sadly, it's pretty much guaranteed that will never happen since Universal owns the master tapes and the band themselves would never benefit financially if they were to get involved. And considering that the album is by a "cult favorite" type band, the label would never invest the money needed to do this themselves, especially in this era of streaming music.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Bill

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »
The whole album was remastered - in this case, mostly a volume boost more than anything else. Most likely you have a copy of the remaster since it was released many years ago.

However, what is still needed for the whole album, is a remix since the overall mix is muddy and lacking. There were promotional CD singles released for both Status Seeker and Afterlife that were mixed by Terry Brown (of Rush fame) that sound much better than the originals. But I would love to see what could be done if the album was properly mixed in this day and age - I'm sure it would be much much better and a lot of the hate for the album would dissipate. Maybe even Blob might like the album.  ;)  Sadly, it's pretty much guaranteed that will never happen since Universal owns the master tapes and the band themselves would never benefit financially if they were to get involved. And considering that the album is by a "cult favorite" type band, the label would never invest the money needed to do this themselves, especially in this era of streaming music.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, it's the mix that needs sorting, more than just being made louder. I am listening on lossless via Tidal. FWIW, I think the songs themselves are mainly great, and it is amazing considering when it was released. I understand it's unlikely to happen...great shame.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »
Maybe even Blob might like the album.  ;) 

The phrase "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind. ;) :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:44:24 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »

And Mythbusters proved you wrong!   :-* ;D
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2016, 12:20:15 AM »

And Mythbusters proved you wrong!   :-* ;D

They may have proved it with a literal turd, but good luck to them with WDADU. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:45:33 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2016, 02:15:33 AM »
I'd say 'Turd' is a bit much. I respect the album for what it is.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2016, 06:50:01 PM »
If "turd" means songs with great riffs, bass, drumming, and keyboard melodies then please back the turd truck up to my house.

Offline bobzor

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »
Apologies for writing in a thread that has been inactive for 5 years, but maybe you won't crucify me.

I've never actually written proper album reviews, and so my style is not something you'd expect to find in some music connoisseur magazine. As I wrote my "review" for When Dream and Day Unite, I noticed that it actually comes across like something more resembling a "live reaction" thing than a proper review. But anyway, here it goes. Let's see if I actually have the stamina to go through all the albums, let alone doing them chronologically, but here's a start.

When Dream and Day Unite

What the heck is with that album cover? I remember getting this album way later than the rest of them, partly perhaps due to the fact that when browsing albums in a record store, When Dream and Day Unite doesn’t exactly scream “pick me!”. Maybe it has some weird kitsch or cult aesthetic all over it which I don’t get, but man, it is ugly as hell. Well, I guess album covers were never really the strength of this band anyway, unlike many of the classic metal acts, such as Iron Maiden or Megadeth.

A Fortune in Lies

Good opening, I feel intrigued right away. Interesting riffs with good keyboard sections and a great guitar solo right at the beginning. Some tempo, and in comes Dominici, who sounds great. The song has a nice flow to it and moves nicely from one part to the next. The chorus is not perhaps the strongest aspect of the song, but it doesn’t really hurt the overall vibe. Great start and a strong opener for the album!

Status Seeker
I hear some Rush in the very first riff, right there. Sounds promising, but when the song actually starts with the verse, the quality drops quite a lot. The chorus is boring and doesn’t really do anything for me. Reminds me of some cliché AOR song. The guitar solo seems oddly low in the mix, didn’t notice that in the previous song. All in all, a very pointless song.

The Ytse Jam
Some cathy stuff and good riffs in the beginning. I hear some oriental or middle-eastern inspired melodies as well, or something like that. I’m not a big fan of instrumentals overall, and this is not something I’m overly excited for this time either. But it isn’t a bad song, just perhaps a little all over the place, with many nice parts here and there.

The Killing Hand
The intro is beautiful and feels like a fresh approach after that last whirlwind of a song. Keyboards sound cheesy just in the right 80’s way. Okay, this is apparently divided into 5 (or V) sections. Section I works well, but sections II and III are apparently pretty much the same stuff and a little less dramatic for my taste than section I. Okay, now we’re speeding up, sounds like something from The Ytse Jam. Apparently, we’re on section IV now. The end of this section brings forth some neoclassical bits. V: Exodus now, we’re slowing down, but nothing overly exciting going on. I don’t understand anything about the lyrics though. Cool riffs as we near the ending. An okay song which started out very nicely but sort of fell flat from section II onward.

Light Fuse and Get Away
I’m 2 minutes in the song when the first exciting moment comes. The verse sounds pretty good and somehow dark. Weird jump to what I think is the chorus, which is not that catchy. That phone message sample from the girl is super cheesy, my god! Some cool instrumental parts which sound improvised. The rest of the song sounds uninspiring, doesn’t raise any particular feelings other than boredom.

Afterlife
At this point I need to remind myself that I’m actually listening to Dream Theater. These riffs don’t do anything for me. The chorus has some potential but somehow manages to sound like Bon Jovi. Dominici hasn’t caught my attention once since the first song. Somewhat of a Hotel California moment with the keyboards near the end.

The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
The beginning of this song is the most interesting thing that has happened since that nice acoustic intro in The Killing Hand. An eerie feeling comes creeping, almost sounds like a horror movie soundtrack. Looking at the lyrics, I get the same horror movies vibes. This is good stuff! The riffs are nice, but the weak production sort of reveals itself here. This could be much more powerful with a proper guitar sound. Still, I’m kind of rediscovering my faith for the band now, and this is the strongest song since the album opener.

Only A Matter of Time
The good stuff apparently continues. This sounds more like the DT I’m familiar with. But when the vocals come in, I find myself a bit underwhelmed again. There is some good stuff there, but the song somehow feels oddly put together by random riffs that don’t connect with one another. Some good instrumental bits here as we approach the ending. A bit better than the average song on this album, but not great.

And the mean is 2,53 / 5

Well, all in all I would say that this is not a strong album, but all the elements that later made up the core sound of the band can be found in these songs. Even though I rate some of the songs pretty low, this is not bad music by any means. It’s just that I’m used to the very high standard of some of the later albums which makes me feel pretty indifferent, or “meh”, toward some of these compositions. Production-wise, this is not the band’s greatest achievement, but it’s not a total disaster either. And Dominici is not the most interesting singer, certainly not compared to James Labrie, but he’s not bad either. I would say that the album comes off as this week precisely because we have the experience of having heard all the other Dream Theater (and other prog metal) albums after 1989, so rating this in 2021 does not work in the albums favor. I’m pretty sure I would have felt differently about it, had it been my first DT record I ever heard. And I can imagine rating it entirely differently, had I been there in 1989 and hearing it at the time of it’s release. Context matters, but what I did now was simply to hear the music as an isolated work of art and try to judge it solely based on how it sounded to me.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 06:13:44 AM by bobzor »

Offline BlacklistJones

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »
I actually don't mind the production. It plays into the nostalgia factor, and at this point, that "sound" is a characteristic of the album and the songs within it.

Dominici isn't the greatest vocalist in the world but for me, his style matched up brilliantly with songs like "A Fortune of Lies", "The Killing Hand", and "Light Fuse and Get Away".

I also always loved Mike's playing on this album too.

Outside of all of that, this is the album that started all of the magic. Without that recording session, we may have never seen the progression towards Images, Awake, etc., so I will always be super appreciative of WDADU.

And I may be in the minority, but I don't need it re-recorded. I don't need the production to be improved, nor do I ever want Labrie to replace Dominici's vocals. This is the genesis of a band - their first dabbling experience and its antiquated nature - then and now, however you look at it - at least to me, ties into that experience.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »
I actually don't mind the production. It plays into the nostalgia factor, and at this point, that "sound" is a characteristic of the album and the songs within it.

Dominici isn't the greatest vocalist in the world but for me, his style matched up brilliantly with songs like "A Fortune of Lies", "The Killing Hand", and "Light Fuse and Get Away".

I also always loved Mike's playing on this album too.

Outside of all of that, this is the album that started all of the magic. Without that recording session, we may have never seen the progression towards Images, Awake, etc., so I will always be super appreciative of WDADU.

And I may be in the minority, but I don't need it re-recorded. I don't need the production to be improved, nor do I ever want Labrie to replace Dominici's vocals. This is the genesis of a band - their first dabbling experience and its antiquated nature - then and now, however you look at it - at least to me, ties into that experience.

Nice avatar. Love Plini.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2021, 07:29:58 AM »
Less than 3 stars for The Killing Hand, Afterlife, and Only a Matter of Time?? :tdwn

Offline jammindude

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2021, 12:29:22 PM »
I disagree with much of it, but I give a standing ovation to giving TOWHTSTS the highest rating! Spot on! That song is grossly under appreciated!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2021, 05:28:07 PM »
I think I've always been one of the people in this forum that has defended this album the most. The production is a bit crappy, but the songs are just great. Interestingly enough, I'm not a big fan of TKH and Ytse Jam, which are two of the most liked songs by fans.
So yeah, I love to see some love shown to the album that started it all and to Charlie. I agree with BlacklistJones that his style of singing fit the style of this album perfectly.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.