Author Topic: WDaDU Appreciation  (Read 24769 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: WDADU Appreciation
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
I HATE when people constantly rate WDADU at the bottom of their lists without actually listening to the music.  They are like "Oh it's not James so it fails."  Which is STUPID.  The vocals were made for Charlie.  Sure, he doesn't ahve the same quality as James and some of it may have been a little high for him.  But he did it and he did it well.  Actually Charlie sounds better on the WDADU demos on some of them.  He NAILS TKH on the demos.  Wish that take was in the actual studio!!  Also the production sucks.  But once you look past that... oh my God.  That raw energy that they had... they can never recapture it.  It's so well done.  The Killing Hand is such a good song both thematically and lyrically.  Only A Matter of Time gets some hate but I LOVE it LOVE it.  Without Ytse Jam, where would the band be?

Agreed, BUT most people don't do that, so you aren't really making much of a point as far as I can see.  Most people who rate it at the bottom, at least on these boards, have actually listened to the music.  And as far as the vocals, it's not a question of it "failing" because it's not James.  It's a question of the vocals failing because (1) the songs were not (for the most part) written for Charlie--quite a bit of the material was written before Charlie joined, and does not really fit his voice; and (2) the songs aren't really performed very well, from a vocal standpoint.  As I pointed out in my post much earlier, Charlie is a good vocalist.  Hearing him alongside James on WDADRU made me realize for the first time what a full and rich vocal tone he has.  And hearing him sing his own material that was written to play to his strengths (as opposed to the DT material, which was written to showcase things that are not his strengths) really demonstrates that he is a talented vocalist in his own right.  But he simply doesn't sound good on a lot of the WDADU material.  It just wasn't a good fit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 12:02:35 PM »
I'm one of the very few you'll hear that ranks this album very highly.
In fact it's number 3 for me in my DT list.

I find Charlie's voice works brilliantly. He seems to be crying while singing...its the emotion in his voice that sells the music to me. From a technical standpoint he may not have delivered a great performance on the disc.....but some of the greatest bands in history have had lousy singers - who made you FEEL the music with however their voice sounded at the time.

I also believe Mike Portnoy may not have played better on any DT disc, no triggered snares, no computer cleaning and filtering...just pure raw Mike.

Im always floored by how low this album rates...because...really it is the birth of it all....if you could have been with McCartney and Lennon....at those first few jam sessions when they were hammering out a disc on a wing and a prayer.......same thing with this album.

Every song is amazing.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 12:22:14 PM »
Well, I know some people outright dislike the album, which is a matter of taste.  For many others who rank it low, such as myself, we may rank it low in the DT catalogue, but still think it is a very good album overall.  I just don't think DT has ever done a bad album, so something has to rank last in my DT album rankings, and this album, while "good" overall, just doesn't rise to the same level of greatness as their other albums in this fan's ears.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline j

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
I'm one of the very few you'll hear that ranks this album very highly.
In fact it's number 3 for me in my DT list.

I find Charlie's voice works brilliantly. He seems to be crying while singing...its the emotion in his voice that sells the music to me. From a technical standpoint he may not have delivered a great performance on the disc.....but some of the greatest bands in history have had lousy singers - who made you FEEL the music with however their voice sounded at the time.

I also believe Mike Portnoy may not have played better on any DT disc, no triggered snares, no computer cleaning and filtering...just pure raw Mike.

Im always floored by how low this album rates...because...really it is the birth of it all....if you could have been with McCartney and Lennon....at those first few jam sessions when they were hammering out a disc on a wing and a prayer.......same thing with this album.

Every song is amazing.

Great post.

-J

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »
Listened to WDADRU again I liked

A Fortune in Lies
The Killing Hand
Afterlife
Status Seeker
Ytse Jam

The rest are pretty meh for me, this album needs more love.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 02:53:41 PM »
WDADU is a great album. At first, I only listend to WDADRU, because I didn't really like Dominici's vocals, and it was amazing (although, IMO, LaBrie gets a little screechy). After growing accustomed to Dominici's vocals (from his parts in WDADRU),  I decided to give WDADU another shot, and holy crap I was not disappointed.  :metal

I had always heard people mentioning that WDADU sounded a lot like Rush, but I had never quite heard it in WDADRU. But listening to the original "The Killing Hand" made me immediately understand what they meant.
All in all, both versions of this album are amazing, and have their own weak points. I believe that Dominici's vocals are a little weak on the original, but do contribute to that Rush sound, which I like. And on ReUnite, LaBrie just kicks ass with his vocals (but, like I mentioned above, gets a little screechy). And everything else about both albums is perfect.

All in all, I appreciate this/these album(s) very, very much.

Sorry for the necro, but it won't be the last time... Mwuahaha

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »
This holds a place in my heart as the album that started this for me. I loved Rush and I loved Yngwie, and here was an album that joined them together. I loved this album before I&W was written, so it rates highly for me. Sure it's got flaws, but they're also part of the charm.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 06:39:03 PM »
I've gotten used to Charlie's vocals over the years, and I think the songwriting is great.  If only it had gotten a proper production job on it, it would be awesome.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
*Tears up* This is so lovely, you guys. I didn't even prepare a speech. Thank you all so much *tears of joy*

Oh, come on, you had to expect that one :tard
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: WDaDU Appreciation
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 06:35:31 AM »
:zombiepile:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »
WDADU is great but underrated.It's true that this is not best DT album but still is good.BTW, James on WDADRU has problem with voice, I like Dominici's rather(just there otherwise, I like JLB's more)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
My least favourite DT album, but it's still a great record.  :)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
I'd say it's actually my 4th or 5th favorite DT album. I like everything except The Ones Who Help To Set the Sun. Other than that, great album.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »
The reason I don't like the album is because it has an extremely corny metal vibe to it.  Songs like Afterlife sound like they could be Sonata Arctica (check out 8th Commandment).  Sonata Arctica is fun little power metal band, but DT should never have to sink to their level. 

The melodies on practically the whole album are very poorly constructed, especially the vocal melodies.  The production is terrible.  Dominici is terrible. 

By DT standards, there is little that this album has to offer.  (in real world standards, WDADU dominates, don't get me wrong)

In all honesty, I can understand why a person would like the album, but I cannot see how a person could rank this album above any of the others. 

Don't suffer from the common case of liking the oddball element simply because you think no one else does.  I see this constantly, in people that say WDADU is their favorite album, in people that say Gimli is their favorite character in LOTR, in people that say their "political ideals" are different from the norm, etc.  Stop lying to yourself, and let yourself like what you really like, without thinking about societal consequences.  Remember, you're unique.  Just like everybody else.
haters gonna hate and compare dt to bands that didnt even exist until long after WDaDU

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
It's a pretty safe bet that if I didn't know about this album when it came out, I wouldn't be the Dream Theater fan I am today.

I might not have even bought an album. They would of completely flown under the radar unless I came across something about their musicianship and/or a Rush comparison. Most of that happened early on so if I didn't catch it then, I likely wouldn't have caught it at all.

So for me, without that context, I'm pretty much 100 percent sure I wouldn't be here posting this now.

It's still a top three or four album for me despite the bad production.

Here's that story about how I discovered Dream Theater that I keep boring everyone with:

"The Spirit Of Rush Fanzine Number 8 which I bought in New York City about August 1989. On the back inside cover was a Dream Theater feature and When Dream and Day Unite album review that was reprinted from an issue of Kerrang (Never found out what issue it was)
There weren't too many recent bands recording music that I liked in the late 80s save for maybe Kings X, Queensryche, Faith No More and Living Colour.
The feature and review mentioned influences such as Rush, The Dixie Dregs, Kansas, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and at that time it didn't seem like anyone new was recording music with those influences so I was easily suckered in.
I couldn't find the CD anywhere and was forced to spend $17 at a mall chain store for it. I listened to it constantly for about 3 solid months until Presto came out. I never heard another word about them until I stumbled on their mispelled name on the marquee at the Ritz November 14, 1989 opening for the Hogarth-fronted Marillion's debut in New York City.
Yes, I was lucky.
Never heard a word about them again until I found a promo copy of Images and Words for $5 at a spring 1992 record show. It took me a while to get used to James' voice since I'd been listening to Charlie for about 3 years, but I got used to it. James has improved SO much since then.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this amusing quote (I'm not sure who is responsible for it but I think it was the editor) regarding When Dream And Day Unite from The Spirit Of Rush Number 9 (Fall 1989)

"The aforementioned opener (A Fortune In Lies) sums up the album completely--a dense hard rockers paradise with more time changes than the entire Rush and Yes back catalogs put together. A drummer who puts Neil Peart to shame, a vocalist fully capable of holding his own and a sound so full that it actually takes 20 plays to hear everything that's going on in the mix, and all this perfectly crafted and laid down on tape in just four weeks.
Quite frankly, this album rubbishes at least three Rush albums, and the entire Yes series, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery being the only album I can think of in the same league. I never thought it would happen, but this album makes something like Signals sound resolutely boring; I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying so, but I have to be honest...
If Geddy, Neil and Alex have heard this album, then they probably reacted in one of two ways--become blubbering nervous wrecks, in the knowledge they have some serious young competition, or (hopefully) they have pulled out their fingers in order to show that they can indeed rise to the occasion. This album will either bring out the best in our friends or finish them off..."

That quote was what sold me being a Rush fan.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
The reason I don't like the album is because it has an extremely corny metal vibe to it.  Songs like Afterlife sound like they could be Sonata Arctica (check out 8th Commandment).  Sonata Arctica is fun little power metal band, but DT should never have to sink to their level. 

The melodies on practically the whole album are very poorly constructed, especially the vocal melodies.  The production is terrible.  Dominici is terrible. 

By DT standards, there is little that this album has to offer.  (in real world standards, WDADU dominates, don't get me wrong)

In all honesty, I can understand why a person would like the album, but I cannot see how a person could rank this album above any of the others. 

Don't suffer from the common case of liking the oddball element simply because you think no one else does.  I see this constantly, in people that say WDADU is their favorite album, in people that say Gimli is their favorite character in LOTR, in people that say their "political ideals" are different from the norm, etc.  Stop lying to yourself, and let yourself like what you really like, without thinking about societal consequences.  Remember, you're unique.  Just like everybody else.

Oh thank you so much. I hadn't realised that was what I was doing... twenty two years thinking I loved this album and I was just posing... at least now I know.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
It's a pretty safe bet that if I didn't know about this album when it came out, I wouldn't be the Dream Theater fan I am today.

I might not have even bought an album. They would of completely flown under the radar unless I came across something about their musicianship and/or a Rush comparison. Most of that happened early on so if I didn't catch it then, I likely wouldn't have caught it at all.

So for me, without that context, I'm pretty much 100 percent sure I wouldn't be here posting this now.

It's still a top three or four album for me despite the bad production.

Here's that story about how I discovered Dream Theater that I keep boring everyone with:

"The Spirit Of Rush Fanzine Number 8 which I bought in New York City about August 1989. On the back inside cover was a Dream Theater feature and When Dream and Day Unite album review that was reprinted from an issue of Kerrang (Never found out what issue it was)
There weren't too many recent bands recording music that I liked in the late 80s save for maybe Kings X, Queensryche, Faith No More and Living Colour.
The feature and review mentioned influences such as Rush, The Dixie Dregs, Kansas, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and at that time it didn't seem like anyone new was recording music with those influences so I was easily suckered in.
I couldn't find the CD anywhere and was forced to spend $17 at a mall chain store for it. I listened to it constantly for about 3 solid months until Presto came out. I never heard another word about them until I stumbled on their mispelled name on the marquee at the Ritz November 14, 1989 opening for the Hogarth-fronted Marillion's debut in New York City.
Yes, I was lucky.
Never heard a word about them again until I found a promo copy of Images and Words for $5 at a spring 1992 record show. It took me a while to get used to James' voice since I'd been listening to Charlie for about 3 years, but I got used to it. James has improved SO much since then.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this amusing quote (I'm not sure who is responsible for it but I think it was the editor) regarding When Dream And Day Unite from The Spirit Of Rush Number 9 (Fall 1989)

"The aforementioned opener (A Fortune In Lies) sums up the album completely--a dense hard rockers paradise with more time changes than the entire Rush and Yes back catalogs put together. A drummer who puts Neil Peart to shame, a vocalist fully capable of holding his own and a sound so full that it actually takes 20 plays to hear everything that's going on in the mix, and all this perfectly crafted and laid down on tape in just four weeks.
Quite frankly, this album rubbishes at least three Rush albums, and the entire Yes series, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery being the only album I can think of in the same league. I never thought it would happen, but this album makes something like Signals sound resolutely boring; I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying so, but I have to be honest...
If Geddy, Neil and Alex have heard this album, then they probably reacted in one of two ways--become blubbering nervous wrecks, in the knowledge they have some serious young competition, or (hopefully) they have pulled out their fingers in order to show that they can indeed rise to the occasion. This album will either bring out the best in our friends or finish them off..."

That quote was what sold me being a Rush fan.

I'm having really strange Deja Vu reading that post/story.  No pun intended. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »
I'm listening to ReUnite right now. so :metal   

I have to say, WDaDU is a mid level album for me... not the best, not the worse... and Unite / Reunite are on the same level for me because James was... well... off for the performance...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
The opening of Only a Matter of Time still gets me pumped.  Its a terrific ode to analog prog bands, and JP's opening chords played on varying down/upbeats over changing time signatures is a DT trademark.  (they also do this tricky orchestration in the opening of In the Presence Pt1., which is overlty reminiscent of OMOT)

I mostly like this album because it takes time to absorb and figure it out, which is the best part of any musical experience for me.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »
Its better than FII which is my lowest ranked album. It could pass Octavarium with more listens but after that there's zero chance it beats BC&SL or Systematic Chaos.

WOW! That's something I thought I would never read....  :omg:

Good album, given it's production and the time it was made.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »
I think it's a very consistent album and it's pretty descent. I certainly wouldn't rank it at the bottom (that honor goes to BC&SL). Production is pretty poor but damn JM is just an animal throughout the whole album, I wish he stuck with his higher register playing in the latter albums.

Kosmo

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2011, 04:00:09 AM »
I love the album, beats Octavarium,BC&SL and SC on my list.

Oh and the solo in Afterlife.  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:10:43 AM by Kosmo »

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
I looooove Charlie. I could not imagine him as a full-time member today, because his voice sounds mostly the same, even though he *does* have a bit of a range. Even with vocal injuries, James has a slightly better range. And James just fits DT more. But people that say Charlie sucks...  ??? I don't get it. He doesn't suck at all! He just has a different voice, that's all! :)

It has a really crappy grainy sound, whereas Images+ is crystal clear. But you know, they weren't famous back then and didn't have the money to really clean up the sound. Plus, a lot of stuff from that period sounds at least slightly grainy. But other than that, it's great!

The Killing Hand is one of my Top 10 DT songs. It's sooooo amazing! Afterlife is fab too, as is Light Fuse. But I don't like The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun. (LOL, if I were to abbreviate that, it would be TOWHTSTS. I would love to use that whilst talking to a Pop fan! "I like "Blow" by Ke$ha". "I like TOWHTSTS by DT!") It just...doesn't click. Sorry.  :(
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »
TOWHTSTS ...  It just...doesn't click. Sorry.  :(

its less syllables to just say the full name. lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
I love the album, beats Octavarium,BC&SL and SC on my list.

Oh and the solo in Afterlife:hefdaddy
:chill  :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
When Dream and Day Unite is a perfect example of why albums need to be judged within the context of when they were released, especially when the band that made a particular album makes a paradigm shift later in their careers, resulting in their earlier works sounding very different then what they later became known for, and it also raises the point of how much having a certain name attached to a record can effect the expectations a listener can have of it.  I would be willing to bet that if most people in this forum heard that album without knowing that it was Dream Theater, they would enjoy it much, much more then hearing it as DT's first album.  WDADU has all the elements that shaped DT's core sound, but those elements are in a form on that album that is much closer to the band's influences and are therefore far removed what is now considered to be Dream Theater's signature sound.  Rush, Maiden, Queensryche, Fates Warning; all these bands and more are present on WDADU to an extent unknown on later DT albums for the simple fact that John, Jon, Mike and Kevin were all so much younger and inexperienced when they made this record.  Consider; WDADU was recorded in the late summer of '88, meaning that all the members in the band, except for Charlie, were only 21.  Add on to that the fact that this was their first attempt at a professional recording, as well as the fact that all of the material on WDADU was written between '86-'88, the songs on WDADU are among the first serious compositions made by the band that would later be known to the world as Dream Theater.  In many ways, the material on WDADU is the crème de la crème of the songs written by DT from their Majesty days.  Considering how young the guys were when they wrote it, it's pretty damn good!  I cannot think of any other group of guys between the ages of 19 and 21 who wrote material this advanced in such an early stage of their careers.  I sometimes wonder if DT fans today would like WDADU more if the album had been released under the name Majesty, simply because the assumptions and expectations for the album change with the name, and fans would simply view the music as "Pre-Dream Theater, not really DT".  But with that Dream Theater name on the record cover, everyone assumes it to be cut from the same cloth as I&W, Awake, Scense and the others; and those fans are usually shocked to hear a very, very different version of the same band.

Another thing that needs to be pointed out is that WDADU does not stray far from the sound of the prog-metal scene of the 80's/early 90's for the simple fact that this is what prog-metal sounded like at the time.  Listen to any prog-metal album from '83-'88 and you will probably hear something not too dissimilar from WDADU.  Early Queensryche, early Fates Warning, Watchtower, Crimson Glory; all these bands sounded similar to this album at that point in time because the prog-metal scene was in it's infancy.  Images and Words, Empire, Parallels and other albums that would later define and expand the term "prog-metal" didn't exist yet, and bands like Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Opeth, Redemption and others were still a long way off from establishing (and therefore contributing) to the genre.  In '88, Queensryche had just released Operation: Mindcrime, Fates Warning had just begun to branch out of their stylistic shell by experimenting on the No Exit album, Savatage was just beginning to hit their stride with Hall of the Mountain King, and Majesty (DT) had just started recording their first real album!  This natal from of prog-metal was all there was to the genre at the time, so to expect DT to magically be different then the bands around them, including many of their biggest influences who were in their prime at the time, is simply ridiculous.

Of course the album has it's short-comings especially on the technical side of things, but by and large, this was out of the band's control.  They only were given three weeks to record and mix the entire album, on a very tight budget.  Considering the severe limitations, they did pretty well.  Yes, it is a shame that the album sounds as dry as it does, but you have to take it for what it is.  The same goes for Charlie.  The mix is part of the problem with his voice, but there is also the simple fact that he was singing material that for the most part was written before he was even in the band (Status Seeker being the main exception, although the band did allow Charlie to go back and completely rewrite the lyrics and vocal melodies to Afterlife).  Charlie is not a bad singer by any means, his solo material, and his recent live appearances from 2004 onward prove this.  But on WDADU, he was simply doing his best to live up to the band's extremely particular expectations about what they wanted the vocals they had written to sound like.  That is no fault of his, and he certainly doesn't not deserve to be given as much shit as he gets for this record.

The reason I don't like the album is because it has an extremely corny metal vibe to it.  Songs like Afterlife sound like they could be Sonata Arctica (check out 8th Commandment).  Sonata Arctica is fun little power metal band, but DT should never have to sink to their level.  

The melodies on practically the whole album are very poorly constructed, especially the vocal melodies.  The production is terrible.  Dominici is terrible.  

By DT standards, there is little that this album has to offer.  (in real world standards, WDADU dominates, don't get me wrong)

Don't suffer from the common case of liking the oddball element simply because you think no one else does.  I see this constantly, in people that say WDADU is their favorite album, in people that say Gimli is their favorite character in LOTR, in people that say their "political ideals" are different from the norm, etc.  Stop lying to yourself, and let yourself like what you really like, without thinking about societal consequences.  Remember, you're unique.  Just like everybody else.

Wow, that wasn't arrogant or condescending in the least bit....

First of all, DT wasn't sinking to anyone's level.  Sonata Arctica (a perfectly fine and talanted band, btw) did not exist at the time, and besides, DT, in '88-'89 were in their early 20's just like Sonata Arctica was when they were getting their start.  First albums by any band tend to be closer to their influences simply because the artists involved are younger and less mature, and have therefore had little time to actually develop their own style.  The kind of prog-metal Majesty/Dream Theater played in their early days is pretty much the kind of music many prog-metal band's start out making (just check out Circus Maximus' debut).  It's kind of like the root of the genre, and while some bands do start out making something significantly different from the get go (Evergrey, Symphony X), most take their lead from the bands that came before.  And as for it being "cheesy metal", it is early prog-metal.  I think a lot of people these today forget just how close to their Rush/Iron Maiden roots a lot of prog-metal bands were in their early days, and how a lot of young bands stay close to those roots when they are writing their first songs and recording their first demos and albums.  There is nothing wrong with this, and there are some bands that perhaps should have stayed closer to their roots rather then taking their musical experiments a bit too far (Queensryche, in particular, comes to mind).

As for your accusation that people like WDADU just to "be different", I find that assumption highly laughable.  Some of us really like that kind of old-school prog-metal, and some of us actually like it more then what passes for prog-metal today.  It is a personal taste, and just because it is the minority view does not make it wrong in any way.  Some may actually have memories of first hearing of Majesty back in the late '80's, and some may remember where they were the first time they were when they heard Operation :Mindcrime, and some are younger fans who just happen to like the music because even though they weren't there when it came out, it strikes a chord, and there is really nothing else in the world of music that sounds quite the same.  Those early prog-metal records had a youthful exuberance, composed of equal parts ambition, talent, arrogance, naivete, and balls.  Compared to the trends at the time of glammed-out hair metal and I'm-heavier-then-you! thrash, early prog-metal really stood out as something unique and different, and even those of us who grew up in the 80's/early 90's and didn't listen to bands like Queensryche at the time can still appreciate just how musically advanced it was for the time and place in which is was made, standing far above then-contemporary standards of metal.  Personally, I wish there were more bands that sounded like WDADU-era Dream Theater, and I really strongly feel DT had something special in those early days that they have now forgotten.  Not to say their recent efforts are bad, but something about WDADU simply sounds more earnest and genuine, as if they accomplished more because they had less to work with, and perhaps the music meant more to them because at the time it was all they had.  Neither I nor anyone else who loves this album is lying to themselves just so we can look cool and be different.  It has nothing to do with the album being "oddball", and everything to do with that form of old-school prog-metal simply resonating more with us, artistically and emotionally, then whatever trends the genre as a whole is following today.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:55:01 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2011, 09:44:03 PM »
paradigm shift
I thought this was about WDADU?  :neverusethis:

Wow, that wasn't arrogant or condescending in the least bit....
Ignore him. He's a statistical outlier.

Neither I nor anyone else who loves this album is lying to themselves just so we can look cool and be different.

Amen.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:47:05 PM by Aramatheis »

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
This is the last DT album I listened to - I only got it a few months ago.  I was a bit wary of it, until I heard Charlie's version of Metropolis on youtube, which I really like.  Its reputation preceeds it I guess - same as FII, this album is a pleasant surprise for me.  I love Charlie's voice - the grain in his voice reminds me of Lou Gramm , and Lou is one of my favourite singers ever (Charlie's voice is a bit smaller than James and Lou at his height though, but still coming from the gut...). Its a perfect length - epic and compact at the same time (which immediately places it above 6 Degrees, which is too much of a test of mental stanima for me).  TBH, the 80s production is just not a problem if you're a child of the 80s.

The songs are so melodic - there are melodies in the vocals, in the bass, in the keyboards and then interspersed with crazy unisons, unpredictable changes, and awesome drum fills.  I don't know what my reaction to this would have been if I heard it in the late 80s,  the most metal I got then was Faith no more.  But I'm glad that I get to listen to it now. 

(re. Charlie v/s James, my reaction is the same as Kevin v/s Derek v/s Jordan - they're all brilliant individual musicians as far as I'm concerned.  One of the things I love about DT is they're ability to recruit like a jazz ensemble, to find the best musicians and let them play to their strengths.  But I haven't really embraced Mike M yet - after we didn't get to see DT in Australia this tour, I have no real idea of him and I don't really notice him  ADTOE unless I make an effort.  This is one reason why I'm anxiously waiting for the dvd...). 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »
Sure the production is on the not so good side, and sure Charlie isn't as powerful as James, but goddamn this album is the tits. Not a bad song on it.

*APPRECIATES*

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
If JLB had been on the vocal this album would've been their best. At least top 3. But with the good production of course.

Powerful lyrics, amazing musics, interesting arrangements. Still amazing though. I rank it pretty high. At least better than BC&SL, SC, ToT.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
Sure the production is on the not so good side, and sure Charlie isn't as powerful as James, but goddamn this album is the tits. Not a bad song on it.

*APPRECIATES*
This. LF&GA is a bit weak, but they've done worse songs. The rest of the album is really solid, and it's easily better than FII and the last 4 albums with MP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »
To prepare for my top 50 writeups, I'm doing a runthru of DT's discography. WDADU...is terrible. Yes I said it. It's awful. It may be of biographical value to a DT fan, it may be fun to speculate what was going through the teenage minds of young DT, but the music and the production are extremely subpar. I don't think I'm ever going to willfully listen to WDADU again.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
Not even The Killing Hand? :sadpanda:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
It's got some cool ideas but overall....no. Sorry. :(
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
It's got some cool ideas but overall....no. Sorry. :(

Dude... I am heartbroken :(

I  don't think we can be friends anymore

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"