Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318063 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3920 on: March 13, 2024, 02:07:40 PM »
Yeah, I kind of lean towards what you are saying as well.  Marko wasn't an original member, only on the two albums before Tarja's removal so he might not have had strong opinions back then and if so, he probably just went with the flow being the new guy at the time.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3921 on: March 13, 2024, 02:23:20 PM »
Nightwish is Tuomas' dictatorship, everyone else is just along for the ride. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3922 on: March 13, 2024, 07:21:45 PM »
I swear I just read something from Marko in one of the massive Blabbermouth dumps where he said that he wished they didn't fire her via a public letter. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3923 on: March 14, 2024, 12:57:03 AM »
I swear I just read something from Marko in one of the massive Blabbermouth dumps where he said that he wished they didn't fire her via a public letter.

I posted the link on the previous page  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3924 on: March 14, 2024, 11:57:23 AM »
I think it's safe to say that the letter was 100% of Tuomas' idea and the others just have various degrees of agreement about the need (or not) to let Tarja go, and how to do it.
I think that's been the assumption of most people since the day it happened.

Hard to believe this is a band where I have gone from feeling like I needed to have everything they put out to just not being interested at all in what they do. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3925 on: March 26, 2024, 10:42:54 AM »
Decided to listen to Floor's solo album. Not sure how the hell did I miss it originally when it was released. Some incredible performances by Floor. I keep playing on repeat Come Full Circle and Storm. Did you guys listen to it when it was released?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3926 on: March 26, 2024, 10:59:29 AM »
Yep and I enjoy it for what it is!

The Calm is one of the highlights for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3927 on: March 26, 2024, 11:06:11 AM »

Hard to believe this is a band where I have gone from feeling like I needed to have everything they put out to just not being interested at all in what they do.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I grabbed Once on a whim because I thought the cover and band looked cool. I absolutely loved it! Then I got End of an Era and while it was sad that Tarja was gone, I was still excited about this new band I had found. Then DPP came out and I was amazed once again (it's my favorite album by them.) By the time they had fired Anette a few weeks after I had seen them perform with her in 2012, I was pretty put off by the band. I followed up buying the first Floor album, but pretty much hated it on first listen and never went back. It's hardly the band I got into in 2005 anymore (no Tarja, Anette, Jukka, Marko...), and at this point I just don't care.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3928 on: March 26, 2024, 11:34:43 AM »
I don't think I've listened to Floor's album.  I did check out the live album she put out from a solo show, and while it's nice, the Nightwish covers felt like they lacked the punch and heaviness that the band delivers.  So I haven't really had much interest in her solo material, though I think it's great that she's found a level of success on her own as well. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3929 on: March 27, 2024, 11:15:07 AM »

Ditto.  I sampled Human|Nature (took me about 20 seconds to remember the name of the album) once, and never went back to it.

Yep and I enjoy it for what it is!

Ditto again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3930 on: March 27, 2024, 11:20:40 AM »
I recently revisited Human II nature (minus the instrumental at the end).

It's odd. I actually enjoyed every song as it played. Shortly after I had little memory of most of them and little desire to go back to it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3931 on: March 27, 2024, 11:26:15 AM »
I recently revisited Human II nature (minus the instrumental at the end).

It's odd. I actually enjoyed every song as it played. Shortly after I had little memory of most of them and little desire to go back to it.

I really liked it on release, and still do like basically every track on it (minus the instrumental disc), but I almost never listen to the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3932 on: March 27, 2024, 01:15:17 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I grabbed Once on a whim because I thought the cover and band looked cool. I absolutely loved it! Then I got End of an Era and while it was sad that Tarja was gone, I was still excited about this new band I had found. Then DPP came out and I was amazed once again (it's my favorite album by them.) By the time they had fired Anette a few weeks after I had seen them perform with her in 2012, I was pretty put off by the band. I followed up buying the first Floor album, but pretty much hated it on first listen and never went back. It's hardly the band I got into in 2005 anymore (no Tarja, Anette, Jukka, Marko...), and at this point I just don't care.

I had a somewhat similar journey with them, but different in some respects.  Mine went like this:
-I discovered the band during the Once era.  Saw some live footage online that blew me away, including two performances of Phantom of the Opera (one from the just-released End of an Era and pro-shot footage from their Lowlands concert).  I picked up Century Child, Once, and End of an Era, and was blown away.  They really appealed to my interests sonically, and I was generally excited about the band.  I went back and picked up most of the back catalog and liked a good portion of it.
-I followed the band during the hunt for new singer and lead-up to DPP.  There were things that bothered me about the album, but I still considered it an overall success.  The lyrics on some songs, mainly the ones about Tarja, were REALLY offputting.  But that aside, I think it was largely a good album.  Anette wasn't the best on it, but I was willing to look past that, especially since the album was largely written before she was hired, so it was not written with her strengths and weaknesses in mind. 
-Contrast that last sentence with Imaginaerum, which was written with her in the band.  And it proved out what I had thought on the previous album: if Tuomas was able to write with a specific singer in mind, the results could be stellar.  IMO, this album was.
-When she was dismissed and Floor brought in, I recognized it as an obvious upgrade, and the live show proved that out, especially the Wacken DVD.
-...but unfortunately, they follows that up with a truly awful album in EFMB.  Honestly, if the lyrical content had been different, it wouldn't be half bad.  But the lyrics are just too stupid to get past, and are really offputting.  A concept album that is an anthem to Darwin and Dawkins is only going to get a laugh, and eyeroll, and a "no thank you" from me no matter how good the music, and the music just didn't go anywhere compelling for me on most songs.
-Human | Nature was better.  There are a couple of songs on there that I really like, actually.  But I'm so annoyed by both the lyrical content at time and how pretentious Tuomas can be, combined with the outside stuff surrounding the band, and the changes in personnel, that it's just a really big distraction that's hard for me to overcome.  There are so many other bands out there where that isn't an issue for me that I can't be bothered to devote time to a band that does have those distractions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3933 on: March 28, 2024, 04:53:32 AM »
It's odd, but I think EFMB is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Both DPP and Imaginaerum are fantastic albums, but EFMB just takes what the band were doing to another level. It's stunning. My one complaint about it is that it doesn't show off what Floor can truly do. She's obviously one of those singers who needs to live with the songs for a while, because on the live versions she nails it. I love the notion of a concept album based on evolution - It's one of the most important and beautiful discoveries in history, and it's still so widely misunderstood and denied.

Human:Nature was a huge disappointment. But I guess that's the great thing about music, we all like something different.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3934 on: March 28, 2024, 05:47:00 AM »
It's the other way around for me. I like EFMB, even though I never return to it, but I looove Human Nature, I found it fantastic.

Looking forward to Floor's third album with the band, so far IMO the band post-Tarja followed the same pattern:

- First album as a way to thread waters, safe, with the occasional great song there
- Second album more relaxed, wild and daring

Annette never made a third album (and while I worship at the altar of Floor, Imaginarium remains my favorite NW album), now let's see what this next album will be!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: March 28, 2024, 08:35:41 AM »
It's odd, but I think EFMB is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Nothing odd about that, it's their best album for me. I agree with you that it's not pushing Floor, but it's a great album otherwise and probably somewhere in my top 10 all time albums. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3936 on: March 28, 2024, 09:54:50 AM »
It's odd, but I think EFMB is one of the best albums I've ever heard.
Nothing odd about that, it's their best album for me. I agree with you that it's not pushing Floor, but it's a great album otherwise and probably somewhere in my top 10 all time albums.

I enjoy it quite a bit, but Top 10 of all time is pretty bold.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3937 on: March 28, 2024, 09:57:21 AM »
Bolder than #1?  :lol I mean, to each their own.  I rank Nightwish as my 3rd favorite band so to think my favorite album from one of my favorite bands to be in my top 10 isn't that bold to me. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3938 on: March 29, 2024, 08:11:32 AM »
Bolder than #1?  :lol I mean, to each their own.  I rank Nightwish as my 3rd favorite band so to think my favorite album from one of my favorite bands to be in my top 10 isn't that bold to me.

Fair... not bold for you, but as a general statement, it's pretty bold.

Offline glassprisoner

« Reply #3939 on: March 31, 2024, 08:46:08 AM »
I remember my first floogasm. Ghost Love Story, of course. Goodness, that last note.....

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3940 on: March 31, 2024, 06:22:57 PM »
I remember my first floogasm. Ghost Love Story, of course. Goodness, that last note.....

Of course, I'd watched the videos online, but seeing her sing Ghost Love Score in person was really amazing.  I love her little fist-pump motion after she hits that note during the concert I saw in 2015 - she transitions much more smoothly (without a breath) than she did in the Wacken video that everyone 'gasms over.  She didn't hold the note as long without the extra breath, but it sounded perfect.

https://youtu.be/XZnHz_cIIOM?si=iC0t2p_5l-YNV0O7&t=538

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3941 on: April 01, 2024, 08:56:52 AM »
Floor struggled just a tiny bit the first time I saw her sing the end of GLS, but she like almost like shook it out of her and hit the note, it was quite incredible to see and hear.   

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3942 on: April 17, 2024, 04:21:57 AM »
Anette is back with a killer song from her forthcoming new album 'Rapture'
https://youtu.be/aSovET3oWfg?si=y4zd77CptSrrlXKU

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3943 on: April 17, 2024, 06:55:56 AM »
Anette is back with a killer song from her forthcoming new album 'Rapture'
https://youtu.be/aSovET3oWfg?si=y4zd77CptSrrlXKU

Wish she'd do another Dark Element album, Jani Liimatainen is such a great songwriter.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3944 on: April 17, 2024, 08:14:17 AM »
Wish she'd do another Dark Element album, Jani Liimatainen is such a great songwriter.

Yeah, me too, but didn't like Jani go dark and no one has talked to him for some time now? I think another Dark Element album isn't happening anytime soon if ever.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3945 on: April 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM »
Ah people actually replying to one of my post's, thank you  :biggrin:
Yes Jari is still MIA, I just hope he is okay and dealing with his demons.
I believe that his intention was to do a new Cain's Offering album before his disappeared.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3946 on: April 17, 2024, 12:23:40 PM »
Jani is not MIA, he just moved to Brazil without really talking to anyone: https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerMetal/comments/1blu486/first_public_appearance_of_jani_liimatainen_in/?sort=new

Anette liked that instagram post, so I guess she's glad he's okay after all. That new Cain's Offering album he was talking about probably turned into his solo album that came out in 2022, so that's out of the way now. The new TDE was slated for 2023, we'll see if they had a contract for that with Frontiers or if it's just delayed into infinity with no consequences.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise