Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318376 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3885 on: July 18, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »
Out of the 63 concerts I saw last year, I rated Nightwish as my favorite. 

I do wish Floor would stop wearing these Xena Warrior Princess costumes on stage and wear something a little more akin to her normal everyday style.

I believe you are the only person in the world with this line of thought.   :lol

Yeah, I think her recent outfits have been amazing.

Offline 425

« Reply #3886 on: July 18, 2023, 02:28:37 PM »
I do wish Floor would stop wearing these Xena Warrior Princess costumes on stage and wear something a little more akin to her normal everyday style.

I believe you are the only person in the world with this line of thought.   :lol

Yes, I love Floor's onstage style. In general, I think it would be cool if the men of metal would stop letting themselves get shown up so badly by the women. I'm not saying I want people coming out in full cosplay, but a little effort beyond "jeans and band t-shirt" would be cool to see more often.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3887 on: July 18, 2023, 03:16:18 PM »
Well, it depends from band to band and also it's up down to the individual, I guess.

For example, I believe that Steve Harris is just comfortable wearing shorts and a shirt with no sleeves, and he doesn't do that just because it's the singer gets to be over the top with the costumes.

In Nightwish, Tuomas must be more comfortable with simpler clothes, and I believe Floor choses her own outfits as well, I can't imagine a marketing guy sitting with her to pick up clothes.

One band I find jarring is King Diamond. Ok, he's the guy with all the attention, but still seeing a guy with a full face paint surrounded by people in random clothes, including a guitarist with a baseball hat, kinda kills the whole atmosphere on stage. I don't say they should all use the corpse paint but at least fit a bit more with the imaginery of the band and the stage scenery....?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3888 on: October 24, 2023, 08:09:29 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but Exit Eden is coming out with another new album.  They're a band with a few different female singers doing symphonic metal covers of pop songs.

They have Marco Hietala guesting on their first-ever original song and it's good to see him!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5p917OyAnI

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3889 on: October 25, 2023, 01:12:32 AM »
Saw the video just yesterday!

Oh, and in Nightwish related news.... Floor became a mother for the second time!!!  :heart
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3890 on: October 25, 2023, 08:19:53 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but Exit Eden is coming out with another new album.  They're a band with a few different female singers doing symphonic metal covers of pop songs.

They have Marco Hietala guesting on their first-ever original song and it's good to see him!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5p917OyAnI

I saw Amanda Sommerville left the band too.

Saw the video just yesterday!

Oh, and in Nightwish related news.... Floor became a mother for the second time!!!  :heart

Yup, congrats to Floor and Hannes

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3891 on: March 01, 2024, 11:06:59 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3892 on: March 02, 2024, 05:39:30 AM »
I'm very curious about how it will sound.

Given that they won't tour for it, I half expect it to be like disc 2 of Human Nature but with lyrics, Tuomas going all the way with the symphonic folky mystical stuff.

Or maybe they're sitting on the next Nemo and I Want My Tears Back and rob themselves of the chance of hearing the wild crowd reaction in concerts 'cause they're weird that way  ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3893 on: March 02, 2024, 06:07:46 AM »
I think in a recent interview Kai Hahto said the album was supposed to be heavier.  Let's hope he's right.  Although I want more of Donockley's uilleann pipes as well, my rediscovery of that sound in the past year has made me appreciate the more recent songs that feature them much more. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3894 on: March 09, 2024, 07:02:07 PM »
Tarja is on tour with Marco Hietela (special guest) and are performing several old Nightwish songs together.
Great to see them working together again, and Marco hints at a possible future collaboration
https://blabbermouth.net/news/marko-hietala-doesnt-rule-out-starting-new-band-with-tarja-turunen?fbclid=IwAR1LZbCRTf7Oc0vv4Dezc3z5nPwula-obDTK1EN6_4o7wV5UbUt5Zc01qyE

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3895 on: March 09, 2024, 07:06:27 PM »
Tarja is on tour with Marco Hietela (special guest) and are performing several old Nightwish songs together.
Great to see them working together again, and Marco hints at a possible future collaboration
https://blabbermouth.net/news/marko-hietala-doesnt-rule-out-starting-new-band-with-tarja-turunen?fbclid=IwAR1LZbCRTf7Oc0vv4Dezc3z5nPwula-obDTK1EN6_4o7wV5UbUt5Zc01qyE

Kind of wild to think those two are having fun together after all these years. I thought that Tarja show in NYC last year was pretty good, but adding Marco would have made it incredible.  I thought Marco wanted out of the business, I guess just out of Nightwish. And now Nightwish are the ones who are going on hiatus so maybe it wasn't a bad move to gain momentum somewhere else. I certainly still miss him in NW though.  Just so odd how things unfold over time.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3896 on: March 10, 2024, 06:05:56 AM »
Yeah, it felt like he was going away "for good", but only one year later he came back so he most likely wanted out of Nightwish.

Good for his mental health, but a pity for Nightwish, since as I probably already said I don't think they really replaced him. Sure, they got a bassist but Marco was basically a second frontman and, no disrespect to him, Troy isn't just that. They just gave up having a strong lead male voice in their shows (and albums as well one has to assume).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3897 on: March 10, 2024, 08:42:28 AM »
Hiatus??  This was posted on 2/29

Quote from: Nightwish FB page
Our 10th album is now mixed and mastered.
Thank you Tero, Mikko & Mika for more than 25 years of shared adventures, music & friendship.
We made it again!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3898 on: March 10, 2024, 08:45:12 AM »

Thank you Tero, Mikko & Mika for more than 25 years of shared adventures, music & friendship.
We made it again!

Indeed. But as far as I know, they won’t be touring at all for this album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3899 on: March 10, 2024, 10:21:47 AM »

We made it again!

Indeed. But as far as I know, they won’t be touring at all for this album.

Yeah, their plan apparently has been to make the album and then disappear for a few years.  Kind of crazy if you ask me, but clearly the Nightwish touring life cycle takes a toll on them.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3900 on: March 10, 2024, 10:23:31 AM »
I wonder if Tuomas has finally managed to procure some kind of film scoring gig. 

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3901 on: March 10, 2024, 03:02:11 PM »
Kind of wild to think those two are having fun together after all these years. I thought that Tarja show in NYC last year was pretty good, but adding Marco would have made it incredible.  I thought Marco wanted out of the business, I guess just out of Nightwish.

Marco actually got diagnosed with ADHD a couple years ago, which made many things make sense according to him. Significant changes like this can also bring a change of heart in some ways.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3902 on: March 11, 2024, 05:59:07 PM »
Colleague in the concert booking industry i spoke to recently doesn't think they'll tour the US again, at least not extensively.  Just too expensive and not bringing in the money to make the effort worth it. 

Personally I'd be amazed if they never returned to the US, and a short run hitting 5-10 major markets still feels like a lot of effort when there are plenty of fans in other markets who would love the chance to see them, so why not do a larger tour?  Maybe having a few years away will get enough people missing them that they can stage a comeback here, especially if the new album is strong and they have a solid touring package. 

All speculation, who really knows  :\

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3903 on: March 11, 2024, 07:36:01 PM »
That would surprise and sadden me. While I understand the break from touring they're also going to lose a bunch of momentum. I was lucky to see them front and center with Sabaton and Delain and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Who knows with them.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3904 on: March 11, 2024, 08:56:31 PM »
Announced that they just signed a multi-album deal with Nuclear Blast.

Tuomas has a plan, he's just not sharing it with us.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3905 on: March 12, 2024, 06:58:06 AM »
But those albums are not necessarily new studio albums - they could be compilations, re-issues, etc. We just don't know.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3906 on: March 12, 2024, 06:59:56 AM »
I wonder if Nightwish are on their way out, but on their own terms.

Make an album, chill for a while, then either do one more album or just a huge farewell tour or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3907 on: March 12, 2024, 07:04:19 AM »
I wonder if Nightwish are on their way out, but on their own terms.

Make an album, chill for a while, then either do one more album or just a huge farewell tour or something.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Also, will they just skip the tour for this album and then do another one before a tour? it feels kinda..... odd, to not say commercially lame, to release an album in 2024 and tour for it in 2026, if not 2027.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3908 on: March 12, 2024, 07:28:08 AM »
But those albums are not necessarily new studio albums - they could be compilations, re-issues, etc. We just don't know.
While true, I wouldn't have thought they'd have made a big announcement about it in the terms they did if that's all they're planning.

Of course, they might be planning multiple studio albums but end up doing that, which is probably more what you were getting at.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3909 on: March 12, 2024, 08:40:33 AM »
Colleague in the concert booking industry i spoke to recently doesn't think they'll tour the US again, at least not extensively.  Just too expensive and not bringing in the money to make the effort worth it. 

If the venues they play in the US are all as small as where I saw them in Charlotte, I can understand why.  That whole building was probably smaller than the stages they perform on in Europe.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3910 on: March 12, 2024, 08:46:53 AM »

If the venues they play in the US are all as small as where I saw them in Charlotte, I can understand why.  That whole building was probably smaller than the stages they perform on in Europe.

I dont understand how Nightwish touring the US is too expensive but plenty of other bands significantly smaller do it.  Maybe it doesn't make financial sense to only do a handful of shows like their last tour? 

Nightwish play the ~2k capacity venues.  Often the same ones as Dream Theater but last NYC show was in a 3k capacity venue and sold out. Playing that size venue should not make touring a money issue if the tickets are being sold, which they were the last couple times around as far as I could tell.  Even their tour before last tour had a great turnout. 

I do think, for whatever reason, life on the road is a struggle for this band. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3911 on: March 12, 2024, 11:20:51 AM »

I dont understand how Nightwish touring the US is too expensive but plenty of other bands significantly smaller do it.  Maybe it doesn't make financial sense to only do a handful of shows like their last tour? 

Nightwish play the ~2k capacity venues.  Often the same ones as Dream Theater but last NYC show was in a 3k capacity venue and sold out. Playing that size venue should not make touring a money issue if the tickets are being sold, which they were the last couple times around as far as I could tell.  Even their tour before last tour had a great turnout. 

The show I saw was closer to 200 people than 2000, I think.  Maybe an anomaly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3912 on: March 12, 2024, 11:24:09 AM »
What show was that?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3913 on: March 12, 2024, 07:52:56 PM »

Especially now that Floor has a family with two kids, one of them a newborn.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3914 on: March 13, 2024, 02:44:17 AM »
Floor seems eager to play shows, and she played a show last December. Of course she's gonna take advantage of this downtime to enjoy her newborn child but I wouldn't be surprised at all if she'd play more solo shows this year.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3915 on: March 13, 2024, 07:16:31 AM »
I haven't really enjoyed either Floor Nightwish album, it's a shame as it should be a perfect match (and live it is).  So another album and no touring is kind off the opposite of what I'd like!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3916 on: March 13, 2024, 08:16:06 AM »

Especially now that Floor has a family with two kids, one of them a newborn.

True.  And considering her husband is about to go on tour, yeah, it definitely plays a role.

Floor seems eager to play shows, and she played a show last December. Of course she's gonna take advantage of this downtime to enjoy her newborn child but I wouldn't be surprised at all if she'd play more solo shows this year.

Yeah, but she hasn't gone too far from her home base right?  My point, she can do those gigs and it's not a huge interrupt to her life like NW touring is. 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3917 on: March 13, 2024, 10:02:18 AM »
While true, I wouldn't have thought they'd have made a big announcement about it in the terms they did if that's all they're planning.

Of course, they might be planning multiple studio albums but end up doing that, which is probably more what you were getting at.

Splatter Vinyl editions of Once, Imaginaerum and EFMB just announced.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3918 on: March 13, 2024, 11:13:56 AM »
MARKO HIETALA - Left On Mars (feat. Tarja Turunen)
https://youtu.be/1TgQOj3rwzE?si=4JEKeJ69qLR_AYGY

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3919 on: March 13, 2024, 02:03:39 PM »
Seeing them getting along makes me wonder if time heals all wounds (next year it will be 2 decades since Tarja got fired), or if everyone else in Nightwish back then were truly 100% on board with kicking her out suddenly and in such a public way. Maybe some had their doubts but didn't want to risk their place. Maybe some agreed with the general basic idea of Tarja not working out in the long run, but didn't really think that the right way to address it was a letter saying "You're a diva bitch and your husband is an asshole, you're out. PS: we told the entire internet as well".

I remember it was Marko asking them to drop Bye Bye Beautiful from the set making the paragon of "the tongue going against a sore tooth that is no longer there" (AKA: It's done, she's gone, just let it go Tuomas). I think it's safe to say that the letter was 100% of Tuomas' idea and the others just have various degrees of agreement about the need (or not) to let Tarja go, and how to do it.