Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318105 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3815 on: April 06, 2023, 07:00:14 AM »
Wow, we never talked about Nightwish so far this year? time files!

Anyway, updates:

- Floor Jansen is pregnant with her second child  :heart much love and happiness to her, from the cancer scare to creating a new life  :heart

- Nightwish will release a 12 songs album in 2024... and they will not tour for it. They said the band is doing fine and the choice is personal and not related to Floor's pregnancy or their other side projects. Feels like a weird move,  but evidently there's something going on and this is the best solution for them on a personal / professional level.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3816 on: April 06, 2023, 07:38:51 AM »

Anyway, updates:

- Floor Jansen is pregnant with her second child  :heart much love and happiness to her, from the cancer scare to creating a new life  :heart

- Nightwish will release a 12 songs album in 2024... and they will not tour for it. They said the band is doing fine and the choice is personal and not related to Floor's pregnancy or their other side projects. Feels like a weird move,  but evidently there's something going on and this is the best solution for them on a personal / professional level.

So happy to hear that.  Not the hugest fan - though not NOT a fan, either, if that makes sense - but her post was heartbreaking, and it's great to hear she's moving forward with her - and her family's - lives.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3817 on: April 06, 2023, 07:59:10 AM »

Anyway, updates:

ugh, this is not good news for the band IMO.  Great news for Floor and her family though.  She's just so likeable.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3818 on: April 06, 2023, 08:48:12 AM »
Man, idk how that will go down for them. How will they make money?

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3819 on: April 06, 2023, 09:22:31 AM »
Man, idk how that will go down for them. How will they make money?

Typically when you see things like this, the band is in a safe enough financial situation that they can take time off the road (which frankly, in today's environment is amazing). Or are there any sort of loans or subsidies governments in Europe offer musicians?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3820 on: April 06, 2023, 09:29:14 AM »

Anyway, updates:

ugh, this is not good news for the band IMO.  Great news for Floor and her family though.  She's just so likeable.

I don't blame them though. The industry is really messed up now and considering how Tuomas is, it's likely not worth all that stress and mental anguish that does come with touring. And add to that stress when your own fans are talking down about your live shows.

Musicians are also humans with varying mentalities. Not all are gung ho about touring.

But hey, just recording albums is fine. It's been shown it can be done.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3821 on: April 06, 2023, 09:29:33 AM »
Saw the tour news, hope this isn't the beginning of the end for the band, I doubt it, but you never know.

Very happy for Floor of course, she's already showing pretty well, curious to see how the pregnancy affects her voice. I know Mayu of Nemophila had some serious vocal issues with her pregnancy, granted she's not half the technical singer that Floor is, but I bet even doing the precise breathing required for Floor level vocals with a kid kicking your diaphragm every five seconds can hamper even the best of them. Mayu also noted that her hormones going all haywire really fucked with her voice, to where the band had to tune down for one livestream they did.

I did see Floor is doing some shows with Anneke.... just damn....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3822 on: April 06, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »

I am so sad I don't live in Europe to see those shows.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3823 on: April 06, 2023, 09:45:31 AM »

Yeah that would be a cool tour.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3824 on: April 06, 2023, 10:08:39 AM »
Not even a Dutch show with them both  :sadpanda:

Anyways, I saw both of them solo and it is well worth seeing them in that setting too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3825 on: April 06, 2023, 11:19:15 AM »

I'd pay to see that as well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3826 on: April 06, 2023, 11:41:37 AM »

How much? Cause for the price of a concert ticket, a plane ticket, a hotel room, and 400,000 dollars, I can get you a concert ticket, a plane ticket, and a hotel room.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3827 on: April 06, 2023, 12:07:20 PM »

How much? Cause for the price of a concert ticket, a plane ticket, a hotel room, and 400,000 dollars, I can get you a concert ticket, a plane ticket, and a hotel room.

I can do it for 200k...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3828 on: April 06, 2023, 08:12:11 PM »
Hate to say it, but this band is just pretty much dead to me, and has been for awhile now.  I love that they got Floor in the band, and that first tour where they were touring for Imaginaerum was fantastic.  But I honestly haven't liked much of anything they've written with her.  The idea of a new album doesn't excite me at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3829 on: April 06, 2023, 10:05:35 PM »
Unfortunately my opinion is closer to that than I'd like.  Floor is amazing, and has some phenomenal renditions of their earlier material that I prefer to Tarja's and Anette's, but I don't enjoy Tuomas' songwriting nearly as much as early in their career, and feel like he's seriously underutilizing Floor's abilities. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3830 on: April 07, 2023, 02:12:29 AM »
I have enjoyed all of their recent live releases more than most of their studio material in the past. I pretty much only listen to the live albums and Imaginarium. And I still think they are one of the best live acts out there currently, even with the absence of Marko. Thus is makes me sad they won't tour for the new album.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #3831 on: April 07, 2023, 05:30:29 AM »
I feel differently. Imaginaerum is definitely still the best album they’ve done, but Endless Forms and the newest one are great too. I’m actually not as big now on the older material as I once was. I can do without hearing Ghost Love Score again, for example.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3832 on: April 07, 2023, 07:05:40 AM »
I was incredibly underwhelmed by EFMB when it came out, but over time it has grown on me very much and now I’d say it’s a top 3 album from them. But I agree, Floor is underutilized on the 2 albums. Very disappointed by the touring news, but what can you do….hopefully they’ll be back sooner than later.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3833 on: April 07, 2023, 07:22:16 AM »
I feel differently. Imaginaerum is definitely still the best album they’ve done, but Endless Forms and the newest one are great too. I’m actually not as big now on the older material as I once was. I can do without hearing Ghost Love Score again, for example.

All the love for Floor but yes, Imaginaerum is my favorite Nightwish album. And I love Human Nature way more than Endless Forms. Looking forward to the next one, but Marko's absence will be sorely felt.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3834 on: April 07, 2023, 01:48:51 PM »
I got to finally sit down with Human :II: Nature last night. I listened to the music, looked at the lyrics, and thought about the concept. I now consider it the best Nightwish album.

The Procession is my favorite from the album, I just love how it's paced and how the lyrics describe the procession of Life on Earth. The music really fits the feeling of the words, and it also provokes a sort of inner reflection.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3835 on: April 07, 2023, 01:56:41 PM »
They should just call it a day.
Last two albums are easily their poorest and with Marco gone, this could be the end.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3836 on: April 07, 2023, 02:18:49 PM »
Last two albums are easily their poorest and with Marco gone, this could be the end.

nah, they are more popular now than ever. But if there are issues once again within the band, then maybe I can see the point in calling it over.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3837 on: April 10, 2023, 08:22:00 AM »

nah, they are more popular now than ever. But if there are issues once again within the band, then maybe I can see the point in calling it over.

I don't follow them terribly closely, but I think Tuomas just needs breaks after strenuous album cycles.  They pushed hard from DPP through Endless Forms and then took a break, which coincided with Floor's first pregnancy.  They did another album, dealt with the pandemic and challenges related to touring, rescheduling tours multiple times, etc.  Maybe they're just taking another break after a few years of stress to see how the touring experience changes in the next year.  It's also coinciding with Floor's second pregnancy now, which is a good time for a break.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3838 on: April 10, 2023, 03:06:02 PM »
Indeed, they said that Floor's pregnancy has nothing to do with that, but it's very conveniently that she is pregnant now that touring will end for some time.

But probably it was the other way around - they already discussed as a band the possibility of stopping to (do big) tour(s) for a while, and Floor took the occasion to get a second child (or maybe it was a spur of the moment decision after she survived her health scare, dunno).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3839 on: April 10, 2023, 04:43:24 PM »
I don't follow them terribly closely, but I think Tuomas just needs breaks. They did another album, dealt with the pandemic and challenges related to touring, rescheduling tours multiple times, etc.  Maybe they're just taking another break after a few years of stress to see how the touring experience changes in the next year.

This is what I think is the closest to the actual truth of the matter. We(Nightwish fans) should all have an understanding that Tuomas is a really emotional guy, and all that has likely taken a toll on him mentally.

This is just where we are at now with regards to bands and the industry. Musicians are human, and the industry does take a lot of us humans mentally, just watch any interview with a touring band and they will relate how mentally enduring it is just to tour. The payoff is the reactions and the joy experienced by everyone when the music is being played, there's a sense of unity shared by both the band and the audience. That unity is why I love live shows.

The next album seems like it was a set in stone obligation already in plan, yet what happens after was up for debate. As a fan of this band, I hope they take this opportunity to reform themselves as a band with the members they do have. Losing Marco does have a big impact to their sound and how they presented themselves as a band. The live shows being one aspect that had a devastating effect with regards to losing Marco. But also, the band did excellent with what they had to work it and I personally think the live shows came out great.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3840 on: April 10, 2023, 11:20:21 PM »
Latest two are my favourites, to be honest. I guess TASTES and all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3841 on: April 11, 2023, 08:53:46 AM »
It's my understanding that Jukka can sing, but wasn't asked to when he was just a hired gun for the tour.  Now that he's an actual band member, that could change.  I have no idea what his voice sounds like, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3842 on: April 11, 2023, 09:08:38 AM »
It's my understanding that Jukka can sing, but wasn't asked to when he was just a hired gun for the tour.  Now that he's an actual band member, that could change.  I have no idea what his voice sounds like, though.

Yeah, that was my understanding.  He could and likely would, be used in the future for his voice.  But hoenstly, with the recent news, I got to wonder what this guy is thinking for just joining the band and now going on hiatus.  Can't be good for his bottom line I'd imagine.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3843 on: April 11, 2023, 09:37:24 AM »
Eh, he comes from Wintersun, a band that is taking forever and ever to release the symphonic black metal version of Chinese Democracy (remember how long it took for that?), even doing immediately a world tour upon joining the band and then releasing next year an album must be an improvement for him  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3844 on: April 11, 2023, 09:59:17 AM »
Eh, he comes from Wintersun, a band that is taking forever and ever to release the symphonic black metal version of Chinese Democracy (remember how long it took for that?), even doing immediately a world tour upon joining the band and then releasing next year an album must be an improvement for him  :lol

:lol fair enough

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3845 on: April 11, 2023, 01:34:34 PM »

By singing, it's not much more than a deep growl, that he performed on a couple of Wintersun songs.

Offline 425

« Reply #3846 on: July 10, 2023, 10:47:23 AM »
Although zero of these people are now in Nightwish, I figure this is the best place to put it: It looks like two nights ago Marko joined Tarja onstage for Phantom of the Opera (link)! Strong performance and very cool to see the two of them together again. I like the way they extended the intro to let the excitement build.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3847 on: July 10, 2023, 11:01:39 AM »
Cool to see them on stage again.  I just saw Tarja perform in NYC a couple weeks ago and looks like the's got a different backing band from the US tour.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3848 on: July 11, 2023, 04:29:42 AM »
I love Floor, and I love EFMB but it's certainly the case that she works so much better live than on the albums - I suspect this is because once she's sung the song live a few times she creates nuances that she just hasn't had the time or familiarity with the material to create in the recording sessions. The delay between EFMB and H:N was the first sign that all was not well in the band, the fact the H:N is so damn disappointing the second, and Marco's departure the third. The band lost a ton of money with the pandemic interrupting their tour cycle, and I suspect their reasons for not touring the next album have nothing to do with not needing the money. It's clear that all is not well in the Nightwish camp, hopefully this hiatus will give them the headspace to come back stronger than ever.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3849 on: July 11, 2023, 04:42:30 AM »
"The delay between EFMB and H:N was the first sign that all was not well in the band"

Wasn't the delay due to the fact that rather than going album tour album tour once again, they preferred to do a greatest hits / rarities tour instead?

And personally, I love Human Nature and I'd daresay I like it more than Endless Forms. Just like it happened with Annette, the first album with the new singer was just testing waters, and the second is more loose and comfortable.