Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318209 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3780 on: June 26, 2022, 07:18:54 PM »
Tall women in giant heels is always amusing.  Tuomas is 6'2 and Marco 6'3, but in some promo photos 6'0 Floor is towering over them due to them.  I have a cousin who is at least 5'11 and it's such a weird feeling to see her wearing them in person.  I wonder if they factor the potential for endless back issues later in their lives though.

I think most women don't wear them enough for it to become a posture problem. But maybe it is different in other countries. And Floor
doesn't seem to use actual high heels when performing (boots with heels, but high heels are in a different ballpark).

Edit: looked up some performance pics and she does use high heels sometimes it seems. Can't imagine that feels good running on stage but what do I know :p

If Bryce Dallas Howard can outrun a T. Rex in high heels, Floor can perform on stage in them just fine.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3781 on: June 27, 2022, 02:28:36 AM »
when I saw Tarja I was amazed at her ability to jump up and down all night in 5-inch stilettos without breaking her ankle. Floor has nothing on her in that department...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3782 on: June 27, 2022, 04:08:50 AM »
Tall women in giant heels is always amusing.  Tuomas is 6'2 and Marco 6'3, but in some promo photos 6'0 Floor is towering over them due to them.  I have a cousin who is at least 5'11 and it's such a weird feeling to see her wearing them in person.  I wonder if they factor the potential for endless back issues later in their lives though.

I think most women don't wear them enough for it to become a posture problem. But maybe it is different in other countries. And Floor
doesn't seem to use actual high heels when performing (boots with heels, but high heels are in a different ballpark).

Edit: looked up some performance pics and she does use high heels sometimes it seems. Can't imagine that feels good running on stage but what do I know :p

If Bryce Dallas Howard can outrun a T. Rex in high heels, Floor can perform on stage in them just fine.
Also the Indominous Rex too..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3783 on: June 27, 2022, 07:05:51 AM »

But you must admit that a T. Rex in high heels runs more slowly and clumsily, making it a bit easier to evade. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3784 on: June 27, 2022, 11:14:04 AM »

But you must admit that a T. Rex in high heels runs more slowly and clumsily, making it a bit easier to evade. 

:facepalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3785 on: August 23, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »
In case you missed it, the interim bassist Jukka Koskinen is now an official member of Nightwish

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3786 on: September 04, 2022, 02:31:41 PM »
They got Floor to sing our national anthem for the Formula 1 race today. They adjusted it a bit to suit her.

https://youtu.be/Wsmkq4Rqtp8

As a random fact it is one of the oldest national anthems and the original stems from the 1500's.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3787 on: October 26, 2022, 09:56:47 AM »
Floor Jansen announced on social media that she is battling breast cancer. All the good vibes to her to beat that  :censored

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: October 26, 2022, 10:00:03 AM »
Yeah, shit news but the outlook seems good so hopefully all goes well and her story becomes helpful to women to make sure they get themselves checked out.  Here's her post:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3789 on: October 26, 2022, 10:31:05 AM »
Wow, that sucks.  Hopefully there are no complications. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3790 on: October 26, 2022, 12:18:58 PM »
Yeah, that sucks, I wish her the best. Thankfully it seems to be a form with a good prognosis.

And her message is great  It got caught with a routine screening, which many young(er) women don't participate in, while it can be a life saving measure (also for other types of cancer, like cervical cancer). In The Netherlands we have free screening programs and I know young persons that turned out to have precursor lesions, likely saving them from severe illness/death later in life.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3791 on: October 26, 2022, 12:59:43 PM »
Dayum. 

Also, as the DTF population ages, get your damned prostate screening done.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3792 on: October 26, 2022, 01:56:34 PM »
Horrible news but if it had to happen, it's "better" if it happens this way, just like with Bruce Dickinson - caught early during a routine check, and easy to treat.

Also I agree that her message is great and possibly inspiring, one always think it's always the others, no, it can happen to "you", anytime, regardless of age and health. Let's cross fingers and put our faith in the doctors!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3793 on: October 26, 2022, 02:01:46 PM »
Prayers with Floor, and seriously, love with all of you who may be battling cancer.

I lost both my parents to cancer, my mom at a particularly young 58. So any time I see someone come out and say they are taking on that fight, I wish them victory and the very best.

Go kick its ass, Floor.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3794 on: October 26, 2022, 09:06:40 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3795 on: October 26, 2022, 10:24:39 PM »
Horrible news but if it had to happen, it's "better" if it happens this way, just like with Bruce Dickinson - caught early during a routine check, and easy to treat.

Also I agree that her message is great and possibly inspiring, one always think it's always the others, no, it can happen to "you", anytime, regardless of age and health. Let's cross fingers and put our faith in the doctors!

Yeah, all that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3796 on: October 28, 2022, 10:51:26 AM »
Very positive news from Floor:

The tumor removal surgery went well without any surprises. I’m recovering well and should be up and about soon. It will take a few weeks to know what the findings are regarding the tumor and lymph node that will be tested.
I’ll keep you posted.
I want to use this opportunity to thank the medical staff that took care of me. All done with so much care, empathy, and professionalism! I felt completely safe in your capable hands! You all are troopers, and not just in the hospital I went to, but worldwide. Thank you for all you do!!!

Again, best of wishes to this amazing woman and congratulations to the doctors who take care of her and everyone else in the same unfortunate condition  :heart
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3797 on: October 28, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »
Great news and great of her to acknowledge the doctors.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3798 on: October 29, 2022, 08:57:35 AM »
Wow... hadn't heard about this.  So glad her surgery went well and wish her a full recovery.  I'm 10 years cancer free and like Jingle and others mentioned, get your screenings done!!!  Catching it early is so critical.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3799 on: November 18, 2022, 01:14:53 PM »
Absoutely fantastic news from Floor:

Great news! I am cancer free 🤩 The surgery took everything cancerous out and it hasn’t spread! I’ll get local radiation therapy in February to make sure everything stays out.
I’m getting my energy back after the surgery and feel a huge relief to know it was successful! I’m not back to a 100% but I have no doubt the shows will give me the power push I need to rock with all of you on the upcoming European tour
🤘🏻
Thank you for your amazing support and well wishes Thank you for your amazing support and well wishes 🙏🏻🙏🏻

:heart

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3800 on: November 18, 2022, 02:05:18 PM »
That's great to hear.  I wonder about her energy though.  My mother had a similar cancer twice, and she was low on energy for months afterwards.  Granted, Floor's a lot younger, but still.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3801 on: November 18, 2022, 03:15:53 PM »
Awesome! :metal
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3802 on: November 18, 2022, 03:30:22 PM »
That's great to hear.  I wonder about her energy though.  My mother had a similar cancer twice, and she was low on energy for months afterwards.  Granted, Floor's a lot younger, but still.

Well, I don't think any fan would walk out of a concert upset if she didn't headbang all the time. She already stands at the center with a mic stand quite a lot of time anyway, I won't begrudge her if she'll do it even more and maybe tone down the headbanging. Also, as she said, I'm sure being back on stage will give her a strong boost of energy, her life must have flashed before her eyes when she got the diagnosis, with the terror of not seeing her daughter grow up, knowing that thanks to prevention she "got off easy" and she can presumably live a long and healthy life and also resume her carrer is bound to lift her spirits up, and allow her to endure more the stress of touring!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3803 on: November 18, 2022, 09:55:48 PM »
Definitely the best news today, I can only imagine how relieved the band and her family are.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3804 on: November 22, 2022, 02:28:12 AM »
Saw them at Wembley last night. They were excellent as usual, and Floor was in fine voice, but they did only play 90 minutes, which was slightly disappointing. Planet Hell, 7 Days to the Wolves, She is my Sin and Ever Dream all seem to have been dropped from the setlist for some reason, presumably to give Floor a break due to her recent health issues. And yet the dirge that is Harvest remains...

Plus the t-shirts were the same design as the 2018 tour with different dates on the back.

I've not been getting good vibes from NW for some time now, H:N being a very weak album, Marco leaving, the aborted 2021 tour, the somewhat uninspired setlist of this tour, Floor finding a degree of solo success - I do wonder if they aren't nearing the end of the line. The next album better be a belter to erase the stink of H:N, or the band might be in real trouble.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3805 on: November 22, 2022, 03:08:33 AM »
I will be seeing them on the 6th of December and yesterday I found out they moved them to another venue.

Original venue: on the other side of Milan (South east, I work in the north west zone), either I was meant to take a loooong roundabout bus, or two subways, if not three.

New venue: within walking distance from where I work  :biggrin:

It's not a concert venue, more for fairs and exibithions, so I'm afraid it's gonna suck, but hey, at least I can walk out of work, go straight to a concert, and then take the subway back home.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3806 on: November 28, 2022, 03:27:57 PM »
Saw them, awesome show! I live close to the venue and got a very cheap second hand ticket, so went a second time last minute ;D

They recorded the Ziggodome shows in Amsterdam, so expect a live release in the future. Set was mostly the same as the virtual concert. They played from 20:45 to 22:30.

Yes, I miss Marko and have ranted about that on the internet plenty. And yes, the setlist is a bit sameish (doesn't help that the two standard closers are like 25 minutes together). But the thing is, even then this is still a fantastic band and class live act. It was probably the best show I have seen this year (which includes Porcupine Tree, Tool, Transatlantic, Blind Guardian etc. all fantastic live acts).

They were on fire and all looked like they were into it. Floor was amazing. The stage and pyrokinetics were great. And they did Phantom of the Opera, it was great seeing Nightwish do it with Floor (though I have seen Floor perform it twice already).

I did notice some mistakes on the first night, I thought the performance was better the second night. And the sound was greatly superior on the second night, the vocals in particular were crystal clear.

Saw them at Wembley last night. They were excellent as usual, and Floor was in fine voice, but they did only play 90 minutes, which was slightly disappointing. Planet Hell, 7 Days to the Wolves, She is my Sin and Ever Dream all seem to have been dropped from the setlist for some reason, presumably to give Floor a break due to her recent health issues. And yet the dirge that is Harvest remains...

Plus the t-shirts were the same design as the 2018 tour with different dates on the back.

I've not been getting good vibes from NW for some time now, H:N being a very weak album, Marco leaving, the aborted 2021 tour, the somewhat uninspired setlist of this tour, Floor finding a degree of solo success - I do wonder if they aren't nearing the end of the line. The next album better be a belter to erase the stink of H:N, or the band might be in real trouble.

For me Harvest was great actually, I thought it was beautiful. But we also have very different opinions on H:N I feel (Human is great, the Nature part is a good but not something I'd spin frequently).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 03:36:24 PM by ErHaO »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3807 on: November 29, 2022, 07:56:39 AM »
Harvest was a banger live, I love it.  And I was checking setlist.fm to see if they would do two different sets at Ziggo Dome, but I guess not since it was noted (and just stated here) that it was recorded so that does make sense, bang out two nights and get the best footage possible. I'd buy that. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3808 on: December 07, 2022, 02:10:16 AM »
Finally saw them yesterday. Beast in Black was opening and they're such a cheesy and joyous band, the love child of Abba and Judas Priest, they stand for everything I dislike in power metal and yet I love them   :lol

Nightwish was great. They moved the show into a place used for fairs and exibithions, never saw a concert there, and I was afraid the place would suck and they wouldn't allow them to use pyros, but luckily I got the full flames and fires. Floor was absolutely amazing, enchanting, divine. She's really one of the best singers in the scene today, and I think we don't need anymore to specify female singers, she's one of the very best, period.

Setlist was the same of the recent dates, I personally don't really love 7 Days to the Wolves and Sahara, and once again I miss out on She is My Sin which I never heard live, but overall I liked the show and I appreciate they played a lot of Human Nature songs. Glad to have heard Shoemaker and Floor being majestic on the ending.

I noticed they really let go of the older albums, after the Decades tour. The oldest album represented in the setlist was Dark Passion Play, no song from the first four albums!

Highlights of the show:

- Every single thing Floor did, basically
- The usual dance-along during I Want My Tears Back
- Shoemaker
- How's the Heart acoustic, even though I missed the ending with Floor and Troy singing alone like in the studio version

The absence of Marko was sorely noticed. After all this time, he was really irreplaceable, as I previously said I still think they should have went the Kamelot way and have a guest male singer for every tour.

Anyway, see you next time Nightwish! and best of luck to Floor, they rescheduled her radiotherapy from February to January, so the asian dates will have to be rescheduled.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3809 on: December 07, 2022, 08:12:51 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa, Sahara is not part of the normal setlist for this tour. I just looked it up, thats only the 2nd time they've played it since 2016 (the other time was the show previously).  That's a new addition to the set, very cool!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3810 on: December 07, 2022, 09:14:15 AM »
So basically I got two rarities (Sahara and 7 Days to the Wolves) and are both songs I don't care for?  :lol

I mean, it's not that I deeply dislike them or I think they suck, I'd just take She is My Sin and Ever Dream in a heartbeat over those two. And many other songs as well. It's not that I was bored through them, I just don't like them that much to the point of going "yaaaaaaaaay!!!!" the moment they start playing them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3811 on: December 07, 2022, 09:19:25 AM »
I like 7 Days, but similar to She is My Sin and Ever Dream, they've been played a lot so I would rather something different like Sahara personally.  No doubt Ever Dream is a top tier song though for me so hard to argue against it.  I just like how they added something fresh to the set this late into the tour. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3812 on: December 07, 2022, 10:29:16 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa, Sahara is not part of the normal setlist for this tour. I just looked it up, thats only the 2nd time they've played it since 2016 (the other time was the show previously).  That's a new addition to the set, very cool!

I was just about to contradict you because I saw Sahara played live fairly recently, the last time I saw Nightwish. Then I realized it was in 2015 for EFMB tour.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3813 on: December 07, 2022, 10:30:18 AM »
 :lol :lol it is amazing though, sometimes I think back on concerts like it was just last year and then realize, no that was 2015.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3814 on: December 07, 2022, 01:08:17 PM »
For those into this kind of thing (probably you Cram  :D), someone filmed the entire Milan show and already uploaded it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv9OuV1Ihb0&t=3016s&ab_channel=FabioVi