Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318303 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3710 on: December 04, 2021, 09:39:21 AM »
... And as suspected the Wembley date has now been pushed back to next year too.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3711 on: May 09, 2022, 02:53:17 PM »
Has anyone seen a gig on this tour yet? I’m seeing them in Chicago on Thursday and I gotta admit, I’m not as excited about it as I normally am, mainly because of Marco being gone. So I was just wondering how they are without him, because I’m convinced they’ll never be the same.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3712 on: May 09, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
Marco is very hard to replace and all, but I have to say I am disappointed they did not get a good male vocalist alongside a new bass player (or one that can do both). It has been their brand for a long time. I would be dissapointed if Kamelot did not bring any female vocalist with them, for example. And yes I know Troy sings, but he is obviously a very different type of singer.

But I have no doubt it will be an amazing show. Floor can obviously carry a show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3713 on: May 09, 2022, 03:11:33 PM »
As I said, I really wish they would have gone the Kamelot way, with reverse genders... accept the fact that after such a long time Marco is de facto irrepleaceable, and bring a different male vocalist each tour. I forgive them for not finding a bassist who's also an accomplished singer, but just give up the male vocals already....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3714 on: May 09, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
Marco is very hard to replace and all, but I have to say I am disappointed they did not get a good male vocalist alongside a new bass player (or one that can do both). It has been their brand for a long time. I would be dissapointed if Kamelot did not bring any female vocalist with them, for example. And yes I know Troy sings, but he is obviously a very different type of singer.

But I have no doubt it will be an amazing show. Floor can obviously carry a show.
Exactly! I’m not angry that Marco quit, we all need to do what’s best for ourselves. I’m angry that Tuomas didn’t get a replacement that can sing Marco’s parts as well as playing them. Then they wouldn’t have to redistribute his vocal parts, and retire certain songs. And like you said, Troy can sing but he’s more of a folk-type of singer, not a metal one.

Just have to wait and see how the show is. Gonna try my best to keep an open mind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3715 on: May 09, 2022, 05:59:31 PM »
If you watched their live stream last year, you basically saw what they are doing live now.

Floor can obviously carry a show.

Yup.

I saw them last night in NYC.  Sold out 3k capacity GA venue with a VIP balcony that I had a ticket for.  Got there early to make sure I could be ON the balcony, and we actually got stools and a perfect spot for the concert.  Beast in Black were awesome, but this is not a thread for them. Nightwish were better than I expected.  I guess because I saw the live stream and basically knew the set, I was not expecting it to really blow me away the way it ended up doing live.  Floor is SO good live.  There's really not much comparison to someone doing what she is in metal right now. There were multiple times I turned to my friend and said she is breaking my ears because of how perfect she was. She sung most of Marcos parts.  Troy added vocals as well, but Floor really took the show over besides during Harvest where she took more of a backseat (she literally took a seat on the stage).  If you want to see how good Floor is, check out the ending of Shoemaker  :o The touring bassist is fine, he just plays and doesn't really grab attention.  There were definitely moments I missed Marco, but I think Floor is taking over and I'm not sure I can complain about that.  I think their ending was one of which I've never seen live before, basically what they did in the live stream, they left the stage at the end of the Greatest Show on Earth and the Ad Astra music started playing then they all came on stage and just stood and watched as Floor belted out the melodies live over the pumped in music.  It was EPIC. 

What made the concert even better, from my balcony view, after the show was over and people were leaving, I saw Troy's setlist still on the stage and the people below were leaving and no longer looking for stage goodies.  I walked down and to the barrier, asked a guy if I could have the set list and pointed where it was (you couldn't see it from being on the floor) and he pulled it up and immediately a bunch of people yelled to try and get it but the guy respected how I asked for it and saw it first so he gave it to me! After we left, we turned the corner in NYC to where the busses were and it was Troy hanging out with some people!  I told him I had his set list and he signed it  :metal :metal

If you are curious to see how the show went down, I have a very long video of the show Nightwish & Beast in Black LIVE @ Sold Out Terminal 5 New York City 2022

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3716 on: May 09, 2022, 07:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the info! I didn’t see the live stream shows but I’m sure the show will be good. This will be my 7th Nightwish show. I am definitely looking forward to seeing Floor do the ending to Shoemaker!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3717 on: May 09, 2022, 09:26:54 PM »
Thanks for the info! I didn’t see the live stream shows but I’m sure the show will be good. This will be my 7th Nightwish show. I am definitely looking forward to seeing Floor do the ending to Shoemaker!

They are on youtube if you want to watch, but here is Planet Hell from the live stream which was a very Marco song and Floor took over. It's obviously not the same, but it works still.  I'm not sure they need to replace his voice, but I'm sure some songs won't ever get played or played again because of him leaving sadly.  The band will be fine, their live show is still fantastic and you'll enjoy it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3718 on: May 10, 2022, 03:41:31 AM »

They are on youtube if you want to watch, but here is Planet Hell from the live stream which was a very Marco song and Floor took over. It's obviously not the same, but it works still.  I'm not sure they need to replace his voice, but I'm sure some songs won't ever get played or played again because of him leaving sadly.  The band will be fine, their live show is still fantastic and you'll enjoy it.

Oh, for sure!

I don't think they need to replace him, but I do prefer that approach as I think it enhances their act.

We still have our 2020 tickets ready for later this year, hopefully this year will be the year  ;D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3719 on: May 10, 2022, 05:10:24 AM »
I totally get missing Marko's voice and personality, he's pretty unique really - but that's also why they weren't realistically going to be able to replace him with a bassist who could sing his parts in the same way.

Sure they could try and find a separate singer, but:

1. They don't really need to - Floor is amazing and there are very few songs from their catalogue they wouldn't be able to do (the main one that comes to mind is their cover of Phantom of the Opera, for obvious reasons). That Planet Hell video is great.

2. It would add yet another person to the band and they become a 7-piece, which I don't imagine they'd find desirable from a logistical or financial perspective.

3. What would that singer do for all those songs where Marko didn't have any vocal lines?

4. Even if they went for it, chances are the other singer still wouldn't have the same voice and/or personality, and so it'd still be different and not-quite-the-same.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3720 on: May 10, 2022, 05:33:20 AM »
I totally get missing Marko's voice and personality, he's pretty unique really - but that's also why they weren't realistically going to be able to replace him with a bassist who could sing his parts in the same way.

Sure they could try and find a separate singer, but:

1. They don't really need to - Floor is amazing and there are very few songs from their catalogue they wouldn't be able to do (the main one that comes to mind is their cover of Phantom of the Opera, for obvious reasons). That Planet Hell video is great.

2. It would add yet another person to the band and they become a 7-piece, which I don't imagine they'd find desirable from a logistical or financial perspective.

3. What would that singer do for all those songs where Marko didn't have any vocal lines?

4. Even if they went for it, chances are the other singer still wouldn't have the same voice and/or personality, and so it'd still be different and not-quite-the-same.

I agree they don't need it (emphasis on the word need), but it does make the difference between all-time great live act or a great live act for me personally. It's an element of Nighwish I always enjoyed/appreciated that is not there anymore. But offcourse it is not essential for a great show by any means.

I disagree with point 2 to some degree. Kamelot has guest singers every show and it adds a lot in my opinion, no need to have another full time band member at all. Or even a consistent session musician, Kamelot has a pool of different singers as well (which included Floor early 2010's). Nightwish is a much, much larger act. Furthermore, I have seen many other artists with guest vocals and/or background singers over the years. It is not realistic for some small artists, but for Nightwish it is in my view.

It will never be someone that is like Marco, he is unique for sure, but Floor is not another Tarja either, it doesn't have to be the same for me. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3721 on: May 10, 2022, 08:58:50 AM »
As much as I loved Marco in NW I think we are maybe over stating his importance to the band overall.  Let's not forget Tarja and Annette.  This band just keeps moving on.  Their live show is still top notch (and Troy adds so much to the live show now).  I miss Marco, but this band is not skipping a beat without him. 

Offline 425

« Reply #3722 on: May 10, 2022, 10:23:10 AM »
I'm seeing them for the first time this tour, and I would love to see Marko, but I'm still very excited—excited enough to drive six hours for the show.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3723 on: May 10, 2022, 12:42:26 PM »
Not sure if people are following Floor on youtube, but she has posted many performances lately, including her solo work.

Face Your Demons from the live show I went to last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sg1SVQ_QvQ Most of the setlist can be found on her channel. Amazing performance from Floor. Keep in mind it is not a metal band, so the sound is catered to a different public, the advantage being that her vocals are very clear in the mix in all songs. This is also the band she worked with for her upcoming solo album.

Her new single for said solo album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utz4gFG3HF8

I enjoy most of her recent solo stuff (covers and all), but have to say I am not feeling her songs on the German TV show Sing Meinen Song. I understand German and like the language and all, but the songs all lack something, unlike her Beste Zangers performances.

I'm seeing them for the first time this tour, and I would love to see Marko, but I'm still very excited—excited enough to drive six hours for the show.

I have no doubt it will be worth it! Especially seeing them for the first time.

Offline 425

« Reply #3724 on: May 10, 2022, 01:10:02 PM »
Floor's Ghost Love Score is my favorite live piece ever, so it would probably be worth the drive just to see them come out, do that song, and then leave. Everything else will be a bonus.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3725 on: May 10, 2022, 10:44:21 PM »
I completely forgot Marco left! How long ago was that?

Let's not forget...Annette.

Aw, can't we please?  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3726 on: May 11, 2022, 02:11:34 AM »

Annette is great.  But unfortunately in Nightwish she followed Tarja and was followed by Floor - two of the best.   Her stuff with The Dark Element is really good (IMO better than the Floor nightwish albums), Jani's songwriting suits her style.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 04:15:41 AM by soupytwist »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3727 on: May 11, 2022, 03:32:23 AM »

Err, No! I much prefer the two Anette albums, which are far superior IMO than the most recent ones with Floor.
Live she wasn't so great on the Tarja songs, but who is except her?
Now with Marco gone I have all but lost interest in them TBH.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3728 on: May 11, 2022, 06:52:14 AM »
I felt EFMB was a stunning album, but Human:II:Nature was very disappointing. While I think EFMB is the best of these albums by a long way, on average the 2 Anette albums are stronger than the 2 Floor albums. But Anette's little girl vocals on parts of Imaginaerum still annoy me. I enjoy The Dark Element more than Floor's solo/side stuff too.

I do worry that having delivered a very disappointing album and losing a key band member, this might mark the beginning of the end for Nightwish. I can't quite believe they're playing TGSOE for a 3rd tour running...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3729 on: May 11, 2022, 08:03:35 AM »
I liked Annette a lot for the Annette stuff (and the Dark Element is awesome) but she couldn't do the back catalog justice.  What's interesting to go back to Planet Hell, the band even released an official version with Annette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNeU88p8Zg and you can see she does it a bit differently than Tarja so now with Floor doing it herself, you just have basically another version of the song.  TBH, I love all of them and that's why I rate Nightwish so highly as one of my favorite bands.  I also wonder if that's why they are still doing TGSOE, without Marco, we now have another version of that song with Floor doing it all.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3730 on: May 11, 2022, 08:16:22 AM »
Nightwish has always been a freight-train - you're either on for the ride, or you get off, like Marco, but there is no stopping it.  They said that the Decades tour would be the last time they go backward and play a lot of older songs live, so it's no surprise to me that they continue to play songs like TGSOE and feature newer material.  They've worked around the loss of Marco to find something that they feel works well enough.

I'd prefer another male metal singer vs. having Troy handle certain parts (I Want My Tears Back has much less power to it compared to how Marco sang it), but it is what it is.  I'll take an adjusted Nightwish over no Nightwish any day. 

Offline 425

« Reply #3731 on: May 11, 2022, 09:43:02 AM »
There's no stopping it so long as Tuomas is in the cab. I don't think there's any chance they keep going if he stops.

On the Anette/Floor albums: I prefer both Anette albums to both Floor albums, partly because I think Tuomas wrote more compelling music when he had a more personal focus (I think of Imaginaerum as merging personal lyrics and fantasy lyrics). But I don't think either Floor album is bad; I warmed up to Human :||: Nature as an interesting album (mainly the first disc) once I got over the fact that it's a very different sort of album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3732 on: May 11, 2022, 09:52:35 AM »
Yeah Anette wasn’t the right fit at all, Floor definitely is. But I agree that the 2 Anette albums are the best ones. DPP will always be my personal favorite.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3733 on: May 11, 2022, 01:55:57 PM »
Anette has done some great work with not only The Dark Element, also her 'solo' album's 'Shine' and 'Strong' plus the recently release Ultima Grace project.
The reason I prefer the AO albums over the last two, the material is stronger and much more compelling.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3734 on: May 13, 2022, 09:11:18 AM »
Chicago last night was yet another great Nightwish show! Floor is absolute perfection, she can do no wrong. And the band was tight and clear, everyone kicked ass. That being said, Marco’s absence was clearly felt but the band did the best they could possibly do to fill the gap. Their future is definitely secure!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3735 on: May 13, 2022, 10:10:53 AM »
For me, it's not just Marcos vocals and personality, it's his bass tone that I also liked. His playing style and tone fit Nightwish and I feel that some of that power he had is now not as impactful.

I will still follow the current Nightwish, but for me, the impact, sound wise lost some of that oomph. And the way Thomas is writing now doesn't help either.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3736 on: May 13, 2022, 03:46:40 PM »
For me, it's not just Marcos vocals and personality, it's his bass tone that I also liked. His playing style and tone fit Nightwish and I feel that some of that power he had is now not as impactful.

I will still follow the current Nightwish, but for me, the impact, sound wise lost some of that oomph. And the way Thomas is writing now doesn't help either.

Yes this, he played a very 'heavy' bass, his stage presence, plus he had a big input into the song arranging and the demo's that became the full albums.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3737 on: May 13, 2022, 03:58:28 PM »
Annette worked great in the studio with NW, but honestly every Nightwish live clip I have seen with her wasn't very good. Which is interesting because I saw some youtube uploads of live shows of her recent project and that looked and sounded good. I think she was ultimately a poor fit for Nightwish, but despite of that she is obviously talented. 

I also absolutely enjoy both Floor albums. EFMB was a bit sterile in production but the live versions kick ass. And Human was a bit short but great, the Nature part is pleasing as well.

Offline 425

« Reply #3738 on: May 15, 2022, 08:54:26 PM »
At the Denver show right now. Beast in Black just played, and I’m waiting for Nightwish.

I wasn’t too familiar with BiB previously. I enjoyed their set for sure, and they were generally pretty good showmen. But I was somewhat taken aback by just how much and how blatantly they used backing tracks. It felt like a lot of vocal lines were piped in that didn’t need to be, including some of the more impressive ones.I also kind of wonder why a band that uses keyboards that heavily wouldn’t have an onstage keyboard player.

I don’t want to be too negative; as I said, I enjoyed their set overall. Just found that one thing surprisingly noticeable.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3739 on: May 15, 2022, 09:40:06 PM »
I also kind of wonder why a band that uses keyboards that heavily wouldn’t have an onstage keyboard player.

Depending upon the type of parts, some of the programming just isn't replicable by hand live even if you're Rudess.  And sometimes there are so many layers going on at once that with only two hands it's not doable either unless you have additional musicians onstage.  Sometimes in those scenarios I'd just rather they rearrange the song.  In bands I've been in where we've done covers I usually just pick the two most significant parts going on and learn to play them together, or come up with something original that fits the song and what everyone else is doing.  But yeah, it does kind of suck to have no one at all visible playing them when it's a regular part of their sound.  There are some bands who've talked about recording their albums such that they can replicate them onstage with their existing personnel.  I hate that because it limits your studio creativity, I'd prefer they be as ambitious as they can be when recording and figure out what to do for live later on. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:45:10 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3740 on: May 15, 2022, 09:46:23 PM »
I love Beast in Black, but agreed. Their backing track included too much vocals. Still a fun show and otherwise good performance from the live parts.

Offline 425

« Reply #3741 on: May 15, 2022, 11:48:47 PM »
Too much vocals and sometimes I questioned the selection of which parts to do live, when there were cases where you’d clearly need a backing track to do both. But I agree that their show was overall good, and increased my likelihood of checking out one of their albums, which I suppose means they achieved their goal as an opening band.

Interesting point about the keyboards, Litho. Personally, I’d most prefer to have a keyboardist who does what he can live, and no backing track, but I could also imagine having someone play the main melody and using backing tracks for the rest. But I understand that there are difficulties either way.

Nightwish was awesome; it was great to finally see them. I’m still processing having heard Ghost Love Score live. I couldn’t stop smiling all through the first half. And I think up to the moment when Floor actually did the final note, I kept expecting something to somehow stop it from happening—but, of course, she did it perfectly as usual. I’m not a big concert goer (I’ve probably been to less than a dozen ticketed shows), but that’s probably the highlight of my concert-going life.

I have never been fully convinced by Greatest Show on Earth as the big closer, especially since I think it’s well below GLS as a song. Having seen it live, I’m finally won over. It’s perfect for that place in the show, and even though GLS is the better song, the order is correct. This was my second-favorite song of the night.

And an unexpected highlight: How’s the Heart. It’s a song I liked but didn’t love, but the stripped-back arrangement, Floor’s introduction inviting the audience to think of important people in their lives (which imbued it with personal meaning for me, and probably for many others), and Floor’s belts on the final chorus won me over and made it a better experience than songs I enjoy more.

Other highlights: 7 Days to the Wolves, Dark Chest of Wonders and Shoemaker.

Overall, I thought the Human Nature stuff came off well live. I think my opinion of everything but Harvest improved (and I already liked Harvest).

IMO, Troy has settled into his role as the #2 singer. He had more power tonight than on the livestream, and carried off some Marko parts better than I would have expected (prime example: 7 Days to the Wolves chorus). I only really felt Marko’s absence, vocally, on Ever Dream, where Floor just feels a bit overtaxed doing both parts, and I Want My Tears Back, where the second chorus sounds off being the weaker one. I think it would be interesting to experiment with switching the choruses, so that Troy sings Dear Alice and Floor sings Sleepless Nights. I’m sure it would take some rearranging, but it would recreate the effect of the original, where Marko is much more powerful than Annette. But overall, I think the band is well-suited to continue without adding a male singer, because Floor and Troy between them can cover most of what’s needed. I am sad that we will probably never get The Islander or While Your Lips Are Still Red again, and Endlessness at all. But all things considered, it’s not the worst thing.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3742 on: May 20, 2022, 12:55:23 PM »
is anyone going to either LA show this weekend?  would love to be on the floor for either show but am trying to be thrifty right now, so keeping an eye on stub hub and resale tickets.  not the end of the world if i don't see them this tour, but i never know how often they'll be back in the US and they're always incredible live

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3743 on: May 20, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm heading to the LA show today.  Decided to get a Mezz seat when Live Nation was offering for $25.00 total.  Pretty excited.  Decided to brief myself with some of the songs they have been playing this tour and the live versions on Spotify sounds pretty killer, so this should bold well for today.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3744 on: June 17, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »
Nightwish set at Pinkpop (Dutch festival), which is broadcast at Dutch television every year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF7ukkh9Qhw

This video likely won't last long, most Pinkpop recordings are removed from yt eventually.

And yeah, they sound great  ;D