Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317977 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3570 on: April 24, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
Well, there goes the chance of hearing Floor do Planet Hell or The Siren...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3571 on: April 24, 2021, 10:10:07 AM »
On the fence about the virtual concert.  It would be a no brainer if I could experience it on my Oculus!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3572 on: April 24, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
Perhaps they can go the Kamelot way, where all concerts/tours feature a guest/guests.

That was my first thought! gender swapping Kamelot's approach, where Tommy is the fixed singer and every tour there's a different woman doing additional vocals, they could have a supporting singer for each tour, giving an always different flavors to the performances.

Let's face it, Marco is unrepleacable anyway - not because there isn't anyone on the planet that can sing what he sings, of course there is, but after such a long time replacing such an unmistakeable voice is an impossible task, they might as well retire the position of permanent male singer of the band, and have a supporting live singer for each tour.

Or maybe Troy can start to rehearse some "DREEEEEAM OF MEEEEEEEEEEE WHOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3573 on: April 24, 2021, 11:04:29 AM »
But didn't we all say the same thing when Tarja was booted? Impossible to replace? Then they just went the totally opposite direction until they ended up with Floor and everyone seems quite thrilled. I think if they try to mimic Marco's voice, it'll go poorly. If they get someone who has their own style and is fantastic, it might work out.

Or.....Tuomas takes over singing male parts again!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3574 on: April 24, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »
I explained it poorly; by "impossible to replace" I didn't mean it literally, anyone can be replaced in the sense that you can find someone else that can sing the songs just as good - even Bruce Dickinson can be "replaced" in the sense that there are people out there that can perfectly sing his material, and Rob Halford was literally replaced by a "clone" - still the vast majority of people didn't accept Ripper in Priest.

So, while there must be scores of singers out there that can do justice to Nightwish's male singing parts, after such a long time with such a unique voice nothing else will feel the same or "right", no matter how good the new singer will be, that's why I was saying "eh, might as well use guest singers anyway".

For example I'd place James LaBrie too in the "unreplaceable" category - sure there are people out there that can sing his studio parts and perform better than him live, but he's been there for the entire discography minus the debut, no one else will make it sound like it's DT, no matter how much Petrucci and Rudess' style will still be there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3575 on: April 24, 2021, 02:30:07 PM »
Now if NW want to find a similar voice to Marco then this is their man...
https://youtu.be/Gw_w_T6kzHs

You people must have skipped this one, Marco from a parallel universe  :xbones

Online Adami

« Reply #3576 on: April 24, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »
I explained it poorly; by "impossible to replace" I didn't mean it literally, anyone can be replaced in the sense that you can find someone else that can sing the songs just as good - even Bruce Dickinson can be "replaced" in the sense that there are people out there that can perfectly sing his material, and Rob Halford was literally replaced by a "clone" - still the vast majority of people didn't accept Ripper in Priest.

So, while there must be scores of singers out there that can do justice to Nightwish's male singing parts, after such a long time with such a unique voice nothing else will feel the same or "right", no matter how good the new singer will be, that's why I was saying "eh, might as well use guest singers anyway".

For example I'd place James LaBrie too in the "unreplaceable" category - sure there are people out there that can sing his studio parts and perform better than him live, but he's been there for the entire discography minus the debut, no one else will make it sound like it's DT, no matter how much Petrucci and Rudess' style will still be there.

Oh no I understood what you meant. I still think Tarja is a good example of it working anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3577 on: April 24, 2021, 02:49:47 PM »
There are people in Finland who play the bass (or guitar, with transferable skills) and who could do Marko's material. The problem is that that's not the route the band wants to take, and instead they want to go back to the year 2001, when there were male vocals on the albums but if you want them live, you have to call a friend. Unless they're straight up lying to us now about not getting a singing bassist, that's what's going to happen. Guess all that talk around the release of the new album about how they loved doing three-part vocal harmonies the most was for nothing, we're down to one voice and one backing vocal at best.

Can you tell I'm a little salty? Marko is the reason why my interest in the band survived the Anette era. It was like, yeah, she's spotty live, but he's there. If we're going into yet another era where a major part of what's on the albums is missing, I'm going to... well, idk what I'm going to do, because I've been listening to this band for half my life and they're only coming over closer than a 7 hour drive this year, so I'll have to go see them. But I'll sulk!!

Having said all that, I'm not mad at all at him for leaving. While the statement is rushed and clearly not proofread by someone for clarity, if you read interviews with him, you can understand that whole statement pretty easily and it's all valid. The 9-5 bit refers to the statement the Spotify CEO gave to the media, where he said that you can't expect to make a nice living from streaming by delivering one album in two years, which leaves bands like Nightwish who only work when they're inspired waaaay behind in the dust. The Middle East bit refers to the Live Nation thing - they would not be allowed to play in most of those countries due to their strong lyrical content, but rich investors from those countries are allowed to take money from the gigs they play around the world, which is massively unfair. He has a working class background with strong left ideals and I guess his break has allowed him to see the incongruity between what he believes in and giving up his blood, sweat and tears to the suits. It's not about not making enough money, NW probably makes more than most metal bands nowadays, it's about working way too hard to leave way too much of it on the table for people who don't deserve it.

Anyway, Marko played "Children Of The Grave" and "Isäni ääni" at the closing of Henry's Pub in Kuopio, with the house band and his brother on guitar. Looked great, sounded 15 years younger.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:16:22 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3578 on: April 24, 2021, 05:23:41 PM »
I saw Anette a few times with the band and she was pretty good, sure she wasn't so great on the old Tarja songs, but she wasn't the right voice to sing those songs.
She sang her era songs great and was also very good with the crowd, something neither Tarja or Floor are/were particularly good at, however Marco was.

Anyhow I think they are going with the non-singing bassist and perhaps an additional male voice, according to my source close to the band who is sworn to secrecy. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3579 on: April 24, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »
Anyhow I think they are going with the non-singing bassist and perhaps an additional male voice, according to my source close to the band who is sworn to secrecy.

He's doing a great job so far  ;D

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3580 on: April 24, 2021, 06:31:44 PM »
Now if NW want to find a similar voice to Marco then this is their man...
https://youtu.be/Gw_w_T6kzHs

You people must have skipped this one, Marco from a parallel universe  :xbones

Wow, he sounds just like Marko. Too much like him, IMO.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3581 on: April 25, 2021, 08:25:44 AM »
Can you tell I'm a little salty? Marko is the reason why my interest in the band survived the Anette era. It was like, yeah, she's spotty live, but he's there. If we're going into yet another era where a major part of what's on the albums is missing, I'm going to...

...get on with your roulette? :neverusethis:

Can you tell I'm a little salty?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3582 on: May 06, 2021, 07:05:10 PM »
Interesting comments from Tuomas - he talks about how Marco's decision to retire affected the band, and then elaborated on future setlists:
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tuomas-holopainen-thought-there-was-no-coming-back-for-nightwish-after-marco-hietalas-departure/

Holopainen also confirmed that NIGHTWISH's future setlists will likely also be affected by Hietala's absence from the group. "There are some songs that are so profilic [sic] to Marco that we cannot do them, I think, ever again," he said. "I'm not absolutely certain, but, for example, 'The Islander', 'While Your Lips Are Still Red' and definitely 'Endlessness' from the new album is something that cannot be performed without Marco. But then, after spending five days in the rehearsal room, there are some songs that actually work surprisingly well without Marco, that Floor [Jansen] or Troy [Donockley] is doing [Marco's] parts. And I was a bit suspicious about that, but then when I heard the new arrangement for those parts, I was, like, 'Yeah, I think this actually might work.'"

Looks like Floor and Troy might take some of Marco's vocals when they play live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3583 on: May 06, 2021, 07:14:56 PM »
They can't replace those vocals, but they can do their own take on them.  Just listen to Decades.  Many of those songs are before Floor/Marco/Troy and yet they put their own spin on them and it's really awesome. I'm super upset about Marco, but there's a glimmer of hope that the band can not only continue but actually add some new perspectives on songs and have them still be good. I've got my ticket for the live steam and am really interesting.  I hope Marco is actually there to perform Endlessness just once.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3584 on: May 07, 2021, 09:07:15 AM »
They can't replace those vocals, but they can do their own take on them.  Just listen to Decades.  Many of those songs are before Floor/Marco/Troy and yet they put their own spin on them and it's really awesome. I'm super upset about Marco, but there's a glimmer of hope that the band can not only continue but actually add some new perspectives on songs and have them still be good. I've got my ticket for the live steam and am really interesting.  I hope Marco is actually there to perform Endlessness just once.

I don't really listen to Decades that much, but I do recall that they rearranged some vocal parts, which I liked.  I just think that release doesn't have the oomph or power of their other live albums.  Marco did say he had a few things that he was obligated to do with Nightwish this year - I think the livestream might be one of them.

I am really glad that I saw the band live for the first time on the Endless Forms tour and got to see that lineup with Marco.  I regret not seeing the Tarja and Annette lineups. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3585 on: May 07, 2021, 09:12:52 AM »
I think this highlights also how all those "this is the last lineup" claims from various bands are made when the world is nice and sunny, and they never think about that day finally and seriously coming.

Take for example Dream Theater - it's easy for them to say that this is the last lineup as well, but if after this new album Myung has enough and retires, do you seriously picture Petrucci, Rudess and LaBrie throwing in the towel as well because the bass player left? I'm sure they will carry on as long as they have something to give, which is also Tuomas' reasoning.

Everyone likes money, but at a certain point and age, being a musician is all you know and all you can do. If Tuomas feels the band can go on, he's damn right in keeping it going, just like Petrucci should carry on with DT if he feels like so if Myung, Rudess or even LaBrie retire.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: May 07, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »
Well to be fair, if Tuomas says he quites then that's it.  I think in DT, if JP quit, that would be it.  There are band members, specifically the founder/leader/songwriter, that cannot be replaced.  But most can if the main person wants to keep it going.  Nightwish has had many members at this point, as long as Tuomas wants to continue, I'd expect Nightwish to continue but he's the stopping point.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3587 on: May 07, 2021, 05:46:39 PM »
What gave Tuomas hope was hearing the arrangements of the Marco vocals during rehearsals.

He said as well if Nightwish were to call it a day. He still would've done stuff as he has melodies and notes that he wants people to still hear. He likely would've gone solo and had guests, if anything.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: May 07, 2021, 05:48:42 PM »
What gave Tuomas hope was hearing the arrangements of the Marco vocals during rehearsals.

He said as well if Nightwish were to call it a day. He still would've done stuff as he has melodies and notes that he wants people to still hear. He likely would've gone solo and had guests, if anything.

He has his other side project, so I wouldn't expect him to stop with music, but I'd expect it to be the end of NW if he decided to stop it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3589 on: May 07, 2021, 06:10:49 PM »
If you don't know, Auri is one Tuomas 'side projects' with his wife Johanna Kurkela on lead vocals.
https://youtu.be/IMGykxseAlc
This is the most up-tempo song on the album, the rest is more ambient.

New Auri is already recorded and due later this year.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3590 on: May 08, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
Wow, that's quite a beautiful song! 💫 :heart
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3591 on: May 26, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
Just sprung for the virtual show on Saturday.  Anyone else doing the virtual? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3592 on: May 26, 2021, 08:52:33 AM »

Yup, it's both Friday and Saturday. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3593 on: May 26, 2021, 09:33:11 AM »

So it looked to me like the friday was at european hours, like 2am your time?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: May 26, 2021, 09:39:05 AM »

So it looked to me like the friday was at european hours, like 2am your time?

Yeah Friday is Euro hours, but they said there are separate set lists so worth watching both IMO.  "The setlist has variation for each night." is stated on the website.  If I did the conversion right, it's 2PM EST, 11AM PST.  You can watch it again up to 48 hours later so if that's too early, you can still watch it later.  I'm actually off from work so 2PM works for me, but my friend said he wants to watch when we hang in the evening so I'll just watch the replay on Friday night, and then watch the Saturday stream live.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3595 on: May 26, 2021, 10:16:04 AM »
Yeah Friday is Euro hours, but they said there are separate set lists so worth watching both IMO.  "The setlist has variation for each night." is stated on the website.  If I did the conversion right, it's 2PM EST, 11AM PST.  You can watch it again up to 48 hours later so if that's too early, you can still watch it later.  I'm actually off from work so 2PM works for me, but my friend said he wants to watch when we hang in the evening so I'll just watch the replay on Friday night, and then watch the Saturday stream live.
Ahh... yeah I forgot about the 48 hour aspect.  Maybe I'll try to upgrade for both shows.

**EDIT...  can't find a way to upgrade to both shows without paying the full 35 euros for the second show.   :'(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:50:33 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3596 on: May 28, 2021, 01:12:12 PM »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3597 on: May 28, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
WOW...and WOW!!!!!!  What a fantastic experience.  So glad I coughed up the $$$

***SPOILERS****
  including set list

Just finished the virtual concert.  What a unique and cool experience! Whoever came up with the idea gets HUGE props.  As mentioned by Dedalus, Jukka from Wintersun was the bassist.  He did a great job on the Bass but had no vocal parts.  Songs with Marko vocal parts were split by Troy and Floor.  The VR folks did a phenomenal job.  Loved the steampunk theme.

It was weird seeing them Live, yet in such an intimate manner and I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Awesome set list too!  The band was very tight and Floor did an incredible job.

SETLIST

Noise
Planet Hell
Tribal
Elan
Storytime
She's My Sin
Harvest
7 Days to the Wolves
Bless the Child
Nemo
How's the Heart
Shoemaker
Last Ride of the Day
Ghost Love Score
Greatest Show on Earth

Offline 425

« Reply #3598 on: May 28, 2021, 02:14:19 PM »
That looks like an awesome setlist. I was on the fence about this, but seeing such a favorable review, I think I'll go ahead and buy a ticket for tomorrow night's show.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3599 on: May 28, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »
That looks like an awesome setlist. I was on the fence about this, but seeing such a favorable review, I think I'll go ahead and buy a ticket for tomorrow night's show.
It really was an awesome show and experience.  Now, I'm guessing at some point it will be a Bluray but after the crappy financial year all our fav musicians have been through the last year I don't mind coughing up the $$$.

Online Adami

« Reply #3600 on: May 28, 2021, 04:38:32 PM »
Anyone else having trouble with it? I bought the two show pass and have been trying to watch the first show for like 10 minutes and it just says my video will be available soon but doesn't seem to go anywhere.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #3601 on: May 28, 2021, 04:39:24 PM »
It said on the FAQ that it would take 4-6 hours for the recording to be available. The show only ended like two and a half hours ago, so it's probably just not ready yet.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Adami

« Reply #3602 on: May 28, 2021, 04:40:08 PM »
It said on the FAQ that it would take 4-6 hours for the recording to be available. The show only ended like two and a half hours ago, so it's probably just not ready yet.

So when they told me to read the FAQ, I shouldn't have shrugged that off. Gotcha. Much appreciated!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #3603 on: May 29, 2021, 08:33:51 AM »
Watching it now. It's a bit odd but mostly good and fun. My only issue is the mix. Guitar is pretty low and the drums just sound...weak? Like the toms are super thin and low in the mix and there's a ton of high end on the hats and snare. I wish it had more power. But overall I'm enjoying it!

I also wish the drummer had some more energy. He's got chops, no doubt, but he looks just sooooo calm and chill. Music like this needs energy. New bassist (while also seemingly very good) also is just kind of hanging around. I wish there was a bit more energy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 09:02:41 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3604 on: May 29, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
Watching it now. It's a bit odd but mostly good and fun. My only issue is the mix. Guitar is pretty low and the drums just sound...weak? Like the toms are super thin and low in the mix and there's a ton of high end on the hats and snare. I wish it had more power. But overall I'm enjoying it!

I also wish the drummer had some more energy. He's got chops, no doubt, but he looks just sooooo calm and chill. Music like this needs energy. New bassist (while also seemingly very good) also is just kind of hanging around. I wish there was a bit more energy.
As far as the energy level I agree.  I just attributed it to having no audience to fuel the fire that extra bit or the whole real concert feel for the band.  I mean, they're playing on a green screen.  Also agree about Kai, great drummer, but I have missed that Jukka energy and grove.  I actually thought the sound was OK, yeah there were some weird parts where a level seemed suddenly off with the guitar or drums but in the grand scheme of things it's live right?