Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313838 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3360 on: May 27, 2020, 08:57:02 AM »
I saw them with Tarja in the Once tour and they played it.

I saw the following two tours with Annette, off the top of my head NW didn't play Italy after Floor had became the "interim" singer.

Then for the Endless Forms tour they came in Italy thrice:
- On my very birthday, but on a sunday in a town 200 KM far away, and the morning after I had to be at work and there were no trains after the show to consider that option;
- On a festival in Rome, half a nation away, in the middle of the week;
- On another random northern town, while I was finishing my summer vacation.

Geez their tour manager hates me.

So I saw Floor only once with Nightwish, for the Decades tour (and they played Ghost Love Score as final song). The only other time I had seen her live, was with After Forever in 2004 at Wacken.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3361 on: May 27, 2020, 09:16:46 AM »
Yeah, where do you guys even live that you saw them do GLS multiple times since 2012?  :lol

I live 45 minutes away from New York City.  They've played GLS the last three times I've seen them (twice in NYC, once in Connecticut) but those are all more recent tours.  I saw them once with Annette before that and of course they didn't play it.
Did they never play it with Annette?  Nevermind... found some.  :P

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3362 on: May 27, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »
They did. A few times, but they did.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3363 on: May 27, 2020, 09:21:35 AM »
My issue with GLS is just how good it is. It's SO good that when it's played SO often, people become a bit (or maybe just me) desensitized to it. I want it to be like a treat because of how epic and goosebump inducing it is. I want to be like "OMG OMG" when it's played, not "yup, that time of the night I guess"
How often do you see them live? :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3364 on: May 27, 2020, 09:22:48 AM »

oh wow, I just kind of assumed they never played it with her

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3365 on: May 27, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
My issue with GLS is just how good it is. It's SO good that when it's played SO often, people become a bit (or maybe just me) desensitized to it. I want it to be like a treat because of how epic and goosebump inducing it is. I want to be like "OMG OMG" when it's played, not "yup, that time of the night I guess"
How often do you see them live? :lol

I'll be totally honest, it's more about the DVD's for me. I've seen them live maybe 5 times? Only see GSL once and loved it. But they've released quite a few DVDs recently, and they all have it.

Maybe I'd be happier if they just changed up DVD setlists haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3366 on: May 27, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »

I just went and watched a couple.  I have to say, I'm not impressed.  I love what Annette did on the 2 albums she was on but the 2 live GLS's I just watched?  Ummm.... no.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3367 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »

I just went and watched a couple.  I have to say, I'm not impressed.  I love what Annette did on the 2 albums she was on but the 2 live GLS's I just watched?  Ummm.... no.

I dont think Im going to even bother  :lol I cant imagine her singing that song and dont even want to fulfill that unimaginable thought  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3368 on: May 27, 2020, 09:47:41 AM »
I don't know why they would have ever considered playing it with her. Anette comes from a rock background and was not equipped to sing Tarja's material, or at the very least songs like GLS. It's as baffling a decision as Axl Rose deciding to rap on the UYI2 Live in Tokyo DVD. But it's not even her fault, I'd blame Tuomas for wanting to play it with someone who is ill-equipped for that style of music. On her own songs, she sounded great live imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: May 27, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »

I dont think Im going to even bother  :lol I cant imagine her singing that song and dont even want to fulfill that unimaginable thought  :lol
First glance I did find this show.  It was professionally recorded.  No GLS but some decent stuff.  Decent version of Song of Myself @37:50 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_toxZqbK_Kk

Online Adami

« Reply #3370 on: May 27, 2020, 09:55:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVzeimDvWk4

GLS with Anette. She does some decent stuff but it's really rough for most of it.

She does do her own tag at the end but it's a bit sad when we know what Floor does.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3371 on: May 27, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »
I don't know why they would have ever considered playing it with her.

To show the naysayers that she was able to do what Tarja was doing, just like Steve Harris wanted to show that Blaze could sing the Maiden classics.

We know how well it ended in both cases.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3372 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »

GLS with Anette. She does some decent stuff but it's really rough for most of it.

She does do her own tag at the end but it's a bit sad when we know what Floor does.
Yeah, her own thing is cool at the end of GLS, but so lacking comparatively to Floor.  Also in that concert link I just posted she does a decent version of Song of Myself (and of course that was written for her voice) but again it so pales in comparison to what Floor did at the 2013 Waken show.  Not trying to bash Annette at all, it's just like comparing apples to oranges.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3373 on: May 27, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »

To show the naysayers that she was able to do what Tarja was doing, just like Steve Harris wanted to show that Blaze could sing the Maiden classics.

Again, what a dumb decision to make, especially considering they're the ones who hired her. Why on Earth...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #3374 on: May 27, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »

Yeah, her own thing is cool at the end of GLS, but so lacking comparatively to Floor.  Also in that concert link I just posted she does a decent version of Song of Myself (and of course that was written for her voice) but again it so pales in comparison to what Floor did at the 2013 Waken show.  Not trying to bash Annette at all, it's just like comparing apples to oranges.

I saw Annette live a few times and a ton of bootlegs/professional recorded disks. She had great moments live but was just not a strong live singer. Fantastic in the studio, but live really struggled. Not even comparing her to Floor. Even before Floor joined I remember thinking she was really weak life. Like I said, some great moments, but overall just struggled. It's also just not the right music for her, I'm sure she'd sound a lot better doing her own thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3375 on: May 27, 2020, 10:14:54 AM »

Again, what a dumb decision to make, especially considering they're the ones who hired her. Why on Earth...
I'm pretty sure the only concern they had was how different the new singer would be from Tarja. They never established a good personal relationship with Anette, so it wasn't about liking her as a person over everyone else; it wasn't about her being experienced with touring and into it (which is really the first thing they should have been looking at), and it clearly wasn't about how much of their catalog she was capable of singing.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3376 on: May 27, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »
I wasn't a fan back then during that transition to Annette so I can't speak about that with any confidence that I know what I'm talking about, but what Mora wrote certainly feels legit. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3377 on: May 27, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »
They said at the time that they received a lot of people just straight up singing exactly like Tarja and they didn't wanna go with another classical singer because in their mind Tarja was the best classical singer and everyone else would have been a step down. I guess the ones that didn't do that sounded like a breath of fresh air, though probably in that pile (I can't remember how many they received but I know it was a ridiculous amount) they could have found someone who was both different and able to sing the old songs consistently. She sent them a lot of demos and a live DVD with her previous band and I guess there was something there.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3378 on: May 27, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
I could have misunderstood or misremembered a bit, but I also recall some comments that I interpreted as:  "She didn't immediately stand out as THE choice.  But she was just so persistent in following up with us over and over and over again that it made us take a closer look, and we ultimately decided it could work."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3379 on: May 27, 2020, 11:01:40 AM »
They said at the time that they received a lot of people just straight up singing exactly like Tarja and they didn't wanna go with another classical singer because in their mind Tarja was the best classical singer and everyone else would have been a step down. I guess the ones that didn't do that sounded like a breath of fresh air, though probably in that pile (I can't remember how many they received but I know it was a ridiculous amount) they could have found someone who was both different and able to sing the old songs consistently. She sent them a lot of demos and a live DVD with her previous band and I guess there was something there.
I thought I read/heard that at some point  Floor was actually on a short list but was unavailable?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3380 on: May 27, 2020, 11:09:46 AM »
That sounds familiar.  And I think she subsequently said somewhere that she was going through a difficult time in her life in relation to music at that time that contributed to the "unavailability."  My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that it was basically a combination of extreme burnout and extreme anxiety, to that point that she was not sure she would continue performing, or something like that.  Does that sound familiar to anyone?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3381 on: May 27, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure the only concern they had was how different the new singer would be from Tarja. They never established a good personal relationship with Anette, so it wasn't about liking her as a person over everyone else; it wasn't about her being experienced with touring and into it (which is really the first thing they should have been looking at), and it clearly wasn't about how much of their catalog she was capable of singing.

I mean, yeah, but still. I wouldn't pick operatic vocals for a non operatic singer no matter what.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3382 on: May 27, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »
That sounds familiar.  And I think she subsequently said somewhere that she was going through a difficult time in her life in relation to music at that time that contributed to the "unavailability."  My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that it was basically a combination of extreme burnout and extreme anxiety, to that point that she was not sure she would continue performing, or something like that.  Does that sound familiar to anyone?

She had a burnout, but not by the time Tarja was fired, it was later, I believe a year or so before she was asked to replace Annette in Nightwish.

Also, Tarja was fired at the end of 2005, After Forever (her band) lasted until 2009. She probably wouldn't have jumped ship anyway even if asked.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3383 on: May 27, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
Yeah, Floor wouldn't have been available at the time because they were really trying to get After Forever off the ground. And what Bosk is saying about Anette is true, at least I remember it like that with the addition that she was one of the first they contacted to go into extended talks with them, though we obviously don't know how many other singers were similarly thorough and persistent after that.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3384 on: May 27, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
Anette was great live singing her own songs, also very good with the crowds, much better than Tarja ever was.
Of course she couldn't pull off the older songs, but I never expected her to be able too either.
Also I know of at least one show that was pro shot and audio mixed from Anette's time with the band, but was canned and may never
be officially released after the fall out of her departure.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3385 on: May 28, 2020, 03:44:04 AM »
Honestly, there is not a single live clip or recording of Nightwish with Anette I have seen that I truly enjoyed. I love her vocals on both albums and have seen non-Nightwish live clips where she was good/great, but I was unfortunately never sold on her Nightwish performances.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: May 28, 2020, 03:47:22 AM »
Honestly, there is not a single live clip or recording of Nightwish with Anette I have seen that I truly enjoyed. I love her vocals on both albums and have seen non-Nightwish live clips where she was good/great, but I was unfortunately never sold on her Nightwish performances.

Last of the Wilds live was pretty good!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3387 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:20 AM »

Last of the Wilds live was pretty good!

:lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: May 28, 2020, 07:51:07 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Like ErHao, I found a lot to enjoy about her voice and I was more than willing to give her a shot because I never listened to Nightwish for the singing, but every time I would play a live set I'd be like... let's see if she's not *too bad* on this. The material simply wasn't aligned with her.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3389 on: May 28, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »
Not going to argue about her live capabilities, but as far as studio goes, Anette is my favorite. Actually, those are the only two Nightwish albums I own.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3390 on: May 30, 2020, 03:42:57 PM »
EDIT:

Found the 2008 Sydney concert on youtube, channel Moshcam. Since I am not an Anette fan, I totally missed this concert over the years. Having listened some parts, I can still say I do not really enjoy her live with Nightwish.

But then youtube recommended me this, and she does sound nice here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-iXAqjrsw0 (her singing Meadows of Heaven at home using a shitty camera). She can definitely sing.

Well, talking about Anette live, I stumbled upon this:
https://qello.com/concert/Live-at-The-Enmore-Theatre-7557#track-7557-6
Saw Live At the Enmore Theater, saw a pic of Floor and thought, hell yes, a concert I do not know! But when clicking it, it turns out to be an Anette concert in Australia from 2008. You can watch Dark Chest of Wonders and Amaranth for free.

Are you guys familiar with this concert?

(My PS4 tried to sell me this service once, and today in the streaming thread I mentioned it to another DTF member as he was searching for something like Netflix for concerts. So I decided to browse it's library out of curiosity and saw this).

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 03:53:54 PM by ErHaO »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3391 on: June 01, 2020, 09:57:53 AM »
Can undoubtedly can SING.  But to me, the important thing was that there is a pretty big difference between being able to sing and being able to perform.  There is a big difference, performance-wise, from muscling your way through one song for 4 minutes and performing an entire set onstage.  Even for those who have never performed, it should not come as a surprise that they are not the same thing.  Much easier for a decent singer to sound really good for a single song than to sound really good performing a full set, especially when you also add in the other stuff a front[person] has to do in a live setting.

None of that is meant to be a shot at her or to diminish her as a singer.  She is talented.  But NW does not play to her skill set.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3392 on: June 04, 2020, 09:22:46 AM »
Any speculation on which new songs might be played live?

So far we have:
- Floor Jansen mentioning twice on Instagram live feeds that she'd love to see the people dancing during the middle section of Tribal, so that's a given;
- Always Floor said something along the lines of "Shoemaker wasn't really meant to be played live but if so many of you like it so much we might consider it", and that's a maybe;
- Noise is the single, I would assume it's kinda a given they will play, same for How's the Heart which has already been played acoustically anyway;
- Music seems to be the only other candidate, along with Noise, to open the shows, will they use it as an opener? will they play it somewhere else in the set? will they play it at all?
- Harvest seems the classic "Floor, you can take a breath now" easy singalong song, I'd assume it's in the set as well.

We have 3 songs quite certain, and 3 songs as a possibility so far. Where does that leave Pan, Procession and Endlessness?

Personally I'd love to hear them all, but staying realistic, I'd say that Music, Noise, How's the Heart, Tribal and Harvest constitute already a good bunch of new songs. 5 out of 9 it's not bad at all. But I'd love to hear any of the other ones!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3393 on: June 04, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
I would love to hear everything off of disc one from the new album.   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3394 on: June 19, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
This is really the best thing they have released in quite a long time.  Definitely up there with Century Child, Once, and Imaginaerum.  I am already often finding myself tuning out and wanting to move on a little bit into disk 2.  But disk 1 is outstanding.  Harvest is really the only thing that comes close to being a low point, and even that is pretty awesome once it kicks into gear and Troy stops singing lead.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:31:21 AM by bosk1 »