Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313710 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2870 on: January 16, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »
Never know, they could be going nuts with epics on this one. For all we know, the songs on the first disc could be pretty lengthy as well.

Offline gborland

« Reply #2871 on: January 16, 2020, 04:17:44 PM »
I would like to be floored by Floor on this album.
Graham Borland

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2872 on: January 17, 2020, 12:24:58 AM »
Eh, I'm not too excited about this.

I enjoyed EFMB for the most part, but the lyrics and themes were, in my opinion, some of Nightwish's worst. This looks like it'll be EFMB pt 2, which doesn't make me feel excited.

Hope I'm wrong, and I hope the lyrics are more personal and less scientific or whatever he was trying to do on the last one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2873 on: January 17, 2020, 02:50:03 AM »
I'm excited about the lyrics (we had soooo many albums of Tuomas just talking about himself, he can focus on other things for like two albums) and the segmentation of the track. The Greatest Show had some cool segments I would have listened to more if they were separated. And Nightwish albums almost always have some filler, so more tracks = more tracks to potentially like.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: January 17, 2020, 06:44:01 AM »
If this theme is a more nature and less science/religion then I am onboard.  I like the nature themes in the music.  I don't care for religious themes though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2875 on: January 17, 2020, 07:23:43 AM »
If this theme is a more nature and less science/religion then I am onboard.  I like the nature themes in the music.  I don't care for religious themes though.

I want to go on record as agreeing with this, however, were Nightwish to ever write an album that thematically dealt with the teachings of the Jedi Order, well, I'd attend that sermon.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2876 on: January 17, 2020, 08:05:19 AM »

I want to go on record as agreeing with this, however, were Nightwish to ever write an album that thematically dealt with the teachings of the Jedi Order, well, I'd attend that sermon.  :biggrin:
the lyrics will have to be sung backwards though and there has to be a two second hmm after every piece
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: January 17, 2020, 08:22:12 AM »

And I'll also add that I bet it's enough to fit on 1 disc and this could be an album sales ploy.

My recollection is that there is a minimum total length for an album to count double on the Billboard charts, which is why SDoIT didn't get counted double for album sales.  Not sure how things work in other countries, though.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2878 on: January 17, 2020, 12:59:49 PM »
So, no US dates to support the new album in 2020?  Wow.... :sad:  Anyone hear why?  Just timing?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2879 on: January 17, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
So, no US dates to support the new album in 2020?  Wow.... :sad:

DId they state that or is it just because they havent announced any?  I know they are doing Europe first but I figured US in the fall would be possible.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2880 on: January 17, 2020, 01:03:51 PM »
They Have dates booked in Europe all the way to Dec 18th.  That's a loooong tour, can't imagine them not taking a break after.

**edit - there is a break between July and Nov... maybe then??

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2881 on: January 17, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »
Actually I was wrong, now that I look, South America first, then some sprinkled dates around Europe/Russia before August/September/October off.  Maybe September could be a NA tour.  I hope so at least, would suck if it's not but the US got the first leg of the last few tours.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2882 on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:14 PM »
Let's hope we can get a tour leg in those late summer months!  I guess it's possible.  That will sure make a long year for them though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2883 on: January 27, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »
https://www.impe.fi/articles/1/2905?fbclid=IwAR030n2C3c4hefYwocmjeUC7aWgcYwvEuXUH_xjyOQweDMzgkEGlqE9c0zU

A review of an album prelistening party the band had, very positive review it seems although I just skimmed it for now, I'll read the whole thing later but what I caught was disc 1 seems to be 44 minutes and disc 2 is 34 minutes.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2884 on: January 27, 2020, 12:25:28 PM »
https://www.impe.fi/articles/1/2905?fbclid=IwAR030n2C3c4hefYwocmjeUC7aWgcYwvEuXUH_xjyOQweDMzgkEGlqE9c0zU

A review of an album prelistening party the band had, very positive review it seems although I just skimmed it for now, I'll read the whole thing later but what I caught was disc 1 seems to be 44 minutes and disc 2 is 34 minutes.
which is 78 minutes in total so it's not worth forcing it onto a double album. (80 minutes is the limit remember), although I'm sure it will be a good album, judging from the excerpt we can see and hear at the bottom of the page
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Adami

« Reply #2885 on: January 27, 2020, 12:30:26 PM »
I get wanting to put a long song on 2nd disk, especially if it's multiple tracks. It can get lost in the mix if the 2nd movement of a song is track 13, as opposed to track 2. It's not a super tight defense, but I'm fine with it.

I also just skimmed through it (dude way over wrote that) but did I read that the long song is entirely symphonic and vocal?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: January 27, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
I get wanting to put a long song on 2nd disk, especially if it's multiple tracks. It can get lost in the mix if the 2nd movement of a song is track 13, as opposed to track 2. It's not a super tight defense, but I'm fine with it.

I also just skimmed through it (dude way over wrote that) but did I read that the long song is entirely symphonic and vocal?

Ehhhhh. I'm fine with it too but SO many bands put a multi-track epic later into an album and it's never a problem I hear anybody complain about other than wondering why they're not all just put into one track (ie Kamelot's Poetry for the Poisoned).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #2887 on: January 27, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
Oh totally. And Kamelot are kind of lazy with it since those "epics" are at most like 8-9 minutes and could just be one track.

But there's also a different between a 3 movement song and a ....what was it...8? I think movement one?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: January 27, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »
Yeah. TBH though I kind of like it, sometimes, when they dedicate each movement to a track. None of the Rhapsody epics do that and it's a shame 'cause they each have hilariously epic movement names nobody pays attention to because it's all one big song  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2889 on: January 27, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
Nice review, I'm interested in the album!

For being so verbose, he kinda failed however to give a proper idea of what the bigass epic sounds like. Yeah, it's orchestral inspired, from the titles of the movements you can guess more or less the feel of the track but.... dunno, I feel I don't know anything about the song while the tracks on disc 1 are better described.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2890 on: January 27, 2020, 12:52:19 PM »
Finally watched the "Decades" concert blu-ray, and it sounds awesome!  It has a darker vibe than the EFMB tour, even the lighting has a more of a metal vibe.  The guitar player Emppu has more shining moments in this show too.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: January 27, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
Nice review, I'm interested in the album!

For being so verbose, he kinda failed however to give a proper idea of what the bigass epic sounds like. Yeah, it's orchestral inspired, from the titles of the movements you can guess more or less the feel of the track but.... dunno, I feel I don't know anything about the song while the tracks on disc 1 are better described.
Maybe I've got it wrong but I took his comments about the epic as my biggest concern.  First, the main disc comes in at 44 mins.  Then the epic has no lyrics....WTF?

"ALL THE WORKS OF NATURE WHICH ADORN THE WORLD is an orchestral piece in eight movements with worldless singing"

Look,  I do enjoy instrumental tracks, but a 34 min long epic with no real lyrics?  Unless something really unexpected happens that means I have a 44 min EP to look forward too :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: January 27, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »
worldless doesn't mean wordless, although I'm not entirely sure what that means overall

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: January 27, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »
worldless doesn't mean wordless, although I'm not entirely sure what that means overall
I sure hope you're correct  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: January 27, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Me too, if it's just intrumental, my interest is very much lessened

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2895 on: January 27, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »

which is 78 minutes in total so it's not worth forcing it onto a double album. (80 minutes is the limit remember), although I'm sure it will be a good album, judging from the excerpt we can see and hear at the bottom of the page

The reason for the double disc may not be a time thing, but maybe a concept thing(?) Looks like disc 1 represents human, and disc 2 represents nature. Probably wanted to separate them.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2896 on: January 28, 2020, 01:36:11 AM »
If I remember correctly, one other Finnish publication said that Disc2 was indeed all instrumental. They described it as Lord of the Rings score meets metal.

For the record, I really liked the last Nightwish album, and I'm looking forward to checking this out!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2897 on: January 28, 2020, 01:51:16 AM »
If I remember correctly, one other Finnish publication said that Disc2 was indeed all instrumental. They described it as Lord of the Rings score meets metal.

Oh, no.

I mean, we still get 45 minutes of new music which back in the old days was a full album, and I'm open for experimentation but.... 34 minutes of a completely alternative and experimental piece? it feels like we're being "robbed" of hearing what Nightwish's version of Six Degrees would sound like.

Do you know that there's an album for the Imaginaerum (movie) score? it's the soundtrack of the album, of course you can recognize here and there the themes from the actual songs but in the end it's a movie score, with orchestral music and Annette sparsely singing here and there.

If the big epic is gonna be the equivalent of that, as exciting and groundbreaking it might be, it's still gonna be something totally left field and not a "regular" Nightwish epic.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2898 on: January 28, 2020, 02:28:47 AM »
Yes I have the 'Imaginaerum Score' CD and the all orchestral version of the album, I love both, so I reckon I'll  :heart :heart :heart the new album's orchestral disc

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2899 on: January 28, 2020, 04:07:35 AM »
I mean, I enjoyed the Tuomas solo effort and also enjoy the Imaginarium score, but damnit, how can you write an album like that when you have two fantastic singers fans are dying to hear more new Nightwish studio work off. Floor just has one studio album after like 8 years with the band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2900 on: January 28, 2020, 06:03:57 AM »
Funny how we all love music then a band releases a song entirely music.

I won't judge until I hear the entire album myself.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: January 28, 2020, 06:36:35 AM »

That sounds interesting and it would make sense to separate the discs then.  Kind of dampens my expectations for the album as a whole.  Disc 1 sounds like it's going to be great Nightwish, disc 2, at 34 minutes of just instrumental seems like something I'll listen to but probably not something I'll consistently return to since I just rarely listen to instrumental music in general.  I've got to imagine the breakdown of tracks of it will make it easier to pick my favorite parts and if it's anything similar to the Elven Jig they did on the last tour, I'm sure it will be fun.  Just in general, similar to Blind Guardian's latest orchestral album, it's just not something I'm immediately interested in.  Glad we are still getting "the goods" on disc 1 though.  I'm overall still excited.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2902 on: January 28, 2020, 06:40:39 AM »
But on BG's orchestral album you still got Hansi and all the "Hansisms". If Floor is not gonna be on the mega suite, it's gonna be a bummer.

Uh well, we'll listen. I applaud their courage anyway, I wish them less backlash than DT got for The Astonishing if the mega suite is gonna be completely different  :D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: January 28, 2020, 06:42:09 AM »
I thought that BG record was a massive disappointment even with Hansi. Overly hyped, waited far too long for something like that. Not a bad record but holy crap is it unmemorable. And I freaking love classical music/film scores.

I'll gladly take an instrumental Nightwish epic if I'm spared Tuomas's horrible lyrics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2904 on: January 28, 2020, 08:07:35 AM »
Kind of dampens my expectations for the album as a whole.  Disc 1 sounds like it's going to be great Nightwish, disc 2, at 34 minutes of just instrumental seems like something I'll listen to but probably not something I'll consistently return to since I just rarely listen to instrumental music in general. 

Yeah, that's pretty close to how I feel as well.  I was cautiously optimistic about the thought of a new NW album.  But the description has me...less excited than I otherwise might be.

Uh well, we'll listen. I applaud their courage anyway

Totally.  I can completely respect when an artist bucks expectations/conventions and does what he/she wants.  But that said, that doesn't mean I will like the end result.  I can respect the creativity until the cows come home, but if it isn't something I actually enjoy listening to, I probably won't buy it.

I'll gladly take an instrumental Nightwish epic if I'm spared Tuomas's horrible lyrics.

Well, shoot.  You do make a compelling case on that point.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."