Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316435 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2450 on: March 13, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
Looks like they added another old song to the setlist last night  :metal

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2451 on: March 13, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
And what a song!!!
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2452 on: March 13, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
And it's been removed now so I guess it didn't happen, bummer. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2453 on: March 15, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/974376912075329536

I tweeted out this short video clip from last night, they dedicated a song to Stephen Hawking and it was timed really well with their backing video I thought  :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2454 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:34 AM »

I tweeted out this short video clip from last night, they dedicated a song to Stephen Hawking and it was timed really well with their backing video I thought  :metal
I didn't check the link, due to data restraints on my phone. I'm assuming it as "The Greatest Show on Earth".
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2455 on: March 16, 2018, 01:20:02 AM »

Sure it wasn’t dedicated to Sally Hawkins ?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2456 on: March 16, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »

Sure it wasn’t dedicated to Sally Hawkins ?

lol she does say Hawkins, Mr so that rules out Sally (unless I just assumed a gender)

Anyway, the concert was awesome.  If you are a fan of the older material, this is a must see show.  Floor easily stole the show with how well she sung the old material, but the addition of Troy made a huge difference too.  Also, this is the first time I've seen it (4th time seeing NW) that they brought a huge video screen on tour with them in the US.  Every song had a really cool animated video to go along with it, mostly of scenery that really kind of set the mood for the song.  I would say these videos were up there in terms of impact to the feel of the concert, maybe even better than DT's for TA tour.  This was also the largest crowd I've seen at the Playstation Theater. It wasn't sold out, but it was PACKED.  NW is definitely growing here and without any support, they were a big draw.  I must say though, I don't think the show was much longer than their previous tours.  It was around 2 hours long so kind of felt like a short concert, but their performance made that a moot point.  If you are on the ledge about seeing this, hopefully the below video puts you over.  I'm not sure how many times you'll get a chance to hear some of these deep cuts again and they perform them flawlessly.  A lot of people near me actually were talking about how they didn't even know most of the songs, yet were saying how good they were. 

Nightwish LIVE @ Playstation Theater New York City

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2457 on: March 16, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »
I wish I could say I am on the fence.  But I am a definite "no go" unless they add a date that is a lot closer. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2458 on: March 16, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
I wish I could say I am on the fence.  But I am a definite "no go" unless they add a date that is a lot closer.

Why? This is the most exciting tour I've seen Nightwish do. Then again, I really love the older material.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2459 on: March 16, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
I'm not "in love" with them enough to travel so far and spend such a commensurate amount of time and money to see them, good set list or not.  They are definitely one of those bands where it has to be convenient for me to see them.  And as far as locales that are reasonably close, this is about as far away as conceivably possible within my geographic region.  It would somewhat be the equivalent of if you lived in Castaic and a band you moderately liked were playing in the very southernmost part of San Diego.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2460 on: March 16, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »
I'm not "in love" with them enough to travel so far and spend such a commensurate amount of time and money to see them, good set list or not.  They are definitely one of those bands where it has to be convenient for me to see them.  And as far as locales that are reasonably close, this is about as far away as conceivably possible within my geographic region.  It would somewhat be the equivalent of if you lived in Castaic and a band you moderately liked were playing in the very southernmost part of San Diego.

I have no idea about Cali geography haha. They're playing about 45 minutes-an hour away from me. I dunno. I think. Like I said, I suck at that part of things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2461 on: March 16, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »

I have no idea about Cali geography haha. They're playing about 45 minutes-an hour away from me. I dunno. I think. Like I said, I suck at that part of things.

I thought you lived in L.A. now.  ???

Offline Adami

« Reply #2462 on: March 16, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
I do. I know my specific little area and where LA proper is. Beyond that, no clue. I know San Diego is south of me and San Fran is north. Beyond that? Got nothing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2463 on: March 16, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
Castaic is at the upper most part of highway 5 before you go over the mountains and get into the central valley and just above where 405 begins.  So think about driving the longest possible stretch of 405.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2464 on: March 16, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
Googled it. Yea, I can see not wanting to make that trip.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: March 16, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
Yea, if you aren't into a band that much, it makes no sense to make such a trek.  I've been debating about making the drive down to Philly (90 minute drive) to see them again tonight, but I am dead tired and my wallet has taken a hit with Boston, Cape May, and NYC all in the last 3 weeks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2466 on: March 23, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Meanwhile, in Tuomaslandia...

The Auri album is out.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0o2QsorF02wotD0EP4hli3
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2467 on: March 25, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
All right, so I'm listening their Decades compilation album and it's good so far.  The thing is I need a little more convincing before spending about $80 fees including for a ticket for their show in Anaheim (and that's for the far back sections).  Will they have great stage production values?  Will the sound be nice, loud, and clear?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:55:00 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2468 on: March 25, 2018, 11:44:51 PM »
 I wouldn't worry about production valleus or sound quality. They put on an amazing show and the one show I managed to catch last tour had amazingly good sound.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: March 26, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »
All right, so I'm listening their Decades compilation album and it's good so far.  The thing is I need a little more convincing before spending about $80 fees including for a ticket for their show in Anaheim (and that's for the far back sections).  Will they have great stage production values?  Will the sound be nice, loud, and clear?

Sound and production were top notch this tour for NYC.  Obviously sound could change between venues, but NW always sounded good from the 4 total shows I've seen.  If interested, check out my video for their stage production this tour.  Obviously you would be spoiled so up to you, but the show is worth it if you like the older songs.

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2470 on: March 26, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
They were great in Pittsburgh!  My 2nd time seeing them...

Dead Boy's Poem - https://youtu.be/8hhari-rWo4
The Carpenter - https://youtu.be/ynkBkchyUJU
Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean - https://youtu.be/Bfach85xccw
Ghost Love Score - https://youtu.be/oAF_fyY8xu4

-Stef

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: March 26, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
They were great in Pittsburgh!  My 2nd time seeing them...

Dead Boy's Poem - https://youtu.be/8hhari-rWo4
The Carpenter - https://youtu.be/ynkBkchyUJU
Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean - https://youtu.be/Bfach85xccw
Ghost Love Score - https://youtu.be/oAF_fyY8xu4

-Stef

Nice, you got the better version of my camera... works really well for concerts

Offline Adami

« Reply #2472 on: March 26, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
So for those people who have seen.....

....did they really "rework" and "reimagine" some songs?

I get that they added Troy to everything, but was anything else actually changed much?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: March 26, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »
So for those people who have seen.....

....did they really "rework" and "reimagine" some songs?

I get that they added Troy to everything, but was anything else actually changed much?

I think it was just adding Troy.  Like his pipes might replace a lead keyboard part or something (Sacrament of Wilderness).  He added his guitar and vocals as well.  I am not sure if any songs were actually changed though in that the song was reworked in anyway.  Same with adding Marco to some of the older songs.  He sung/spoke the male parts in The Kinslayer for example, but it didn't really change the song in any way.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2474 on: March 26, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »
Ah well, missed opportunity.

Still pumped to see them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2475 on: April 01, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
AMAZING SHOW in Chicago last night....everything was spot on - sound was crisp, band was tight, everyone gave a flawless performance and the visuals were excellent!

The setlist is outstanding, although if I had the chance, I'd make a change or 2, such as adding in something from DPP (since it was the only album not represented) but it's a small problem. Great show overall!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2476 on: April 01, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the show. I'm hoping to get to the Portland show next Sunday, the people I was supposed to go with are backing out. It's a 4 hr drive from where I live in Wa state. I'm strapped financially and I don't even know if the show is sold out or not. I really don't want to miss out on this..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2477 on: April 01, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
So excited for Denver on Tuesday. Man this came by so quick.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2478 on: April 01, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the show. I'm hoping to get to the Portland show next Sunday, the people I was supposed to go with are backing out. It's a 4 hr drive from where I live in Wa state. I'm strapped financially and I don't even know if the show is sold out or not. I really don't want to miss out on this..

Do anything you can to make it....it’s a beautiful show!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2479 on: April 09, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
Just saw them in Portland Oregon last night at a packed out smaller venue, and WHAT A SHOW!!!  The crowd was very enthusiastic as the band went through their own time machine.  Great set list going from past to present.  This was my first time seeing them live, and it was as good as any band I've seen. They have a good chemistry on stage and seem to be having a great time. I really look forward to hearing their next studio album with Floor on vocals.
 My only minor complaint was the introductory music to the show overstayed its welcome. I mean what was with the low frequency rumbling that caused about half the audience to put in earplugs and the other half to clear their bowels??? Lol!  It was easily over 2-3 times as loud as the whole concert.  :omg:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:47:40 PM by Architeuthis »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2480 on: April 21, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
Been listening to the Decades album alot. I'm really enjoying their older stuff I've never heard before, being that I'm working my way backwards through their catalog. Alot of great songs from the Tarja era such as Slaying the Dreamer, End of all Hope, 10th man down, Gethsemane, and many more.
 I think the song Dead Boys Poem could be one of the best songs in the Tarja era if it wasn't for the little boy talking in parts of it, wasn't necessary at all.. It does have a Space-dyed-vest feel to it though.
 Now I'm wondering what the best albums from that era are. Any recommendations?

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2481 on: April 21, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »
^^ My personal favourite from the Tarja era is Wishmaster, although they're all great (the debut is slightly weaker than the rest, but still has some good songs). Century Child is also a great album and has one of their best songs (Beauty of the Beast). Once is a classic, and I think many fans' vote for their masterpiece to date. Ghost Love Score is as good as that style of music gets.

I'd say it's worth picking up all their albums. They're all varying degrees of fantastic.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2482 on: April 21, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
Aweome thanks!  I'll check them all out.  Floor is my favorite singer of the three, but Tarja is pretty amazing in her own way.  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: April 21, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
^^ My personal favourite from the Tarja era is Wishmaster, although they're all great (the debut is slightly weaker than the rest, but still has some good songs). Century Child is also a great album and has one of their best songs (Beauty of the Beast). Once is a classic, and I think many fans' vote for their masterpiece to date. Ghost Love Score is as good as that style of music gets.

I'd say it's worth picking up all their albums. They're all varying degrees of fantastic.

Pretty much exactly this.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2484 on: April 21, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
Century Child is my favorite from the Tarja era.