Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317903 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1960 on: May 16, 2015, 06:29:15 AM »
Well if the band stated they were going to film multiple concerts and they can only film one in the USA (I dont understand that reason?) then it leads me to believe they will film at least one other concert somewhere else  :biggrin:

I don't think the band is going to release it soon if this is the case.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: May 16, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
Yeah...If that's the Union regs in the States then I would think they would record some stuff during the summer European shows.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1962 on: May 20, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »

Thinking up this pun just made my day a lot better, so :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1963 on: May 21, 2015, 04:05:42 AM »
RATINGS!!!

Alpenglow
Edema Ruh
My Walden
Elan
The Greatest Show on Earth
Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Shutter Before the Beautiful
The Eyes of Sharbat Gula
Our Decade in the Sun
Weak Fantasy
Yours Is An Empty Hope

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1964 on: May 21, 2015, 04:33:49 AM »
Alpenglow
Edema Ruh
Shudder Before the Beautiful
Our Decades in the Sun
Elan
Weak Fantasy
The Eyes of Sharbat-Gula
Yours Is an Emtpy Hope
My Walden
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1965 on: May 21, 2015, 05:24:54 AM »
Probably the exact opposite of many peoples -

Yours Is An Empty Hope
The Eyes of Sharbat Gula
Weak Fantasy
Edema Ruh
Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Elan
Our Decades In The Sun
Alpenglow
Shudder Before The Beautiful
My Walden
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: May 21, 2015, 05:43:01 AM »
I guess I will throw out my initial song rankings, ive had enough listens now to form that much of an opinion although it could change:

1. The Greatest Show on Earth
2/3. Alpenglow/Edema Ruh - this is hard to decide now
4. Shutter Before the Beautiful
5. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
6. Weak Fantasy
7. My Walden
8. Our Decades in the Sun
9. Elan
10. Yours is an Empty Hope
11. The Eyes of Sharbat Gula

I think that is still fairly accurate although Alpenglow is a definite #2 now.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1967 on: June 06, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:02:14 PM by Pappy »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: June 06, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
Yeah, but I still think they're going to throw some unexpected songs into the setlist at the following shows.

And I really hope they would announce some shows in Russia too. Missed them on Imaginaerum tour, don't want to miss them on this one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1969 on: June 06, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
So, I was watching an interview last night on youtube and they were saying 2, I think, of these Finland shows were going to have the bands most ambitious stage production to date.  DVD material?  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1970 on: June 07, 2015, 10:11:06 AM »
so the Europeans get the Full TGSOE, luckys.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1971 on: June 07, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
so the Europeans get the Full TGSOE, luckys.

Eh, as much as I love it,I'd take another song over the long intro and outro in a live setting.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: June 07, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
Umm....WOW......  1:07  .  Now I see what they meant by stage production!  Man!  I coulda given them some way better underwater vid to use, especially turtle clips!  >:(  Hopefully one of these large stage shows will be recorded for the DVD.

pt 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PO3JBeOuLc

pt 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-5ZgJV6M5M

sounds a tad better on this one, but the first has better imagery (except for the shock effect on the dudes camera...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgTymln8h5M
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:09:00 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1973 on: June 08, 2015, 05:30:40 AM »
Well that intro was pretty sick so I guess I spoke too soon

Offline Pappy

« Reply #1974 on: June 08, 2015, 06:41:55 AM »
Well that was awesome.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: June 08, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
New tour dates added to website, including second NA tour. Sorry if this is old news, but it was news to me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: June 10, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »
Looks like the cruise went well.  First night had an awesome setlist, the second was what looks like an abbreviated Jam session.....with one BIG exception :)

first night....

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/ms-baltic-princess-turku-finland-6bc9c642.html

second night....

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/ms-baltic-princess-turku-finland-33c9c42d.html

From 2nd night.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAdh6w_dSyA
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 06:58:39 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: June 10, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
Looks like the cruise went well.  First night had an awesome setlist, the second was what looks like an abbreviated Jam session.....with one BIG exception :)

first night....

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/ms-baltic-princess-turku-finland-6bc9c642.html

second night....

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/ms-baltic-princess-turku-finland-33c9c42d.html

From 2nd night.....

Wow, that second set is...well hopefully recorded  :lol :metal and same with the first, a nice setlist as well  :metal

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1978 on: June 10, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
That first setlist...just, damn. If I ever see them live, I would like to have a setlist like that.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1979 on: June 10, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »

first night....

second night....

From 2nd night.....

I sure as hell hope they record that "Unknown." I really do love that one.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1980 on: June 11, 2015, 09:04:27 AM »
Floor Jansen singing ´Alone´ by Heart...... omg, I think I just came. This HAS to be recorded!!  :omg:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: June 11, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
Floor Jansen singing ´Alone´ by Heart...... omg, I think I just came. This HAS to be recorded!!  :omg:

Kinda shitty quality, sound gets better after a minute....the video has horrible wavy stabilization effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XDs1lwLgSs

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1982 on: June 11, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
That´s the rocking of the boat, I gather....  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1983 on: June 11, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
Wow.  2 things:

(1) Floor NAILS that.  Ann who?  Just WOW.
(2) You know, I didn't really pay all that much attention back in the day.  But listening to Heart's lyrics nowadays, I am struck by the fact that...well...they were sluts.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1984 on: June 11, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
Wow.  2 things:

(2) You know, I didn't really pay all that much attention back in the day.  But listening to Heart's lyrics nowadays, I am struck by the fact that...well...they were sluts.  :lol

Rockin Hussies in the 70's and 80's   :yarr  Always loved Ann and Nancy.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1985 on: June 11, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »
Wow.  2 things:

A lot of the songs from their big 1980's era of success was from outside writers.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1986 on: June 11, 2015, 06:50:39 PM »
This describes almost every rock band from the 70's and 80's.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1987 on: June 15, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
Interesting interview with Floor about her starting in Nightwish after a burnout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Vt29Gf_C0

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1988 on: August 17, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »
FINALLY getting around to getting into this band.  I checked out a bunch of stuff on spotify and decided to buy "Once" a couple months ago.  Really liked it and it grew on me slowly.  I eventually recently got "Century Child." Holy crap, what a great album!!!  I have really been into Tarja and even bought some of her solo stuff (not as good as the Nightwish stuff to me, but still good). 

I had never gotten into the other NW singers but have only tried on spotify and probly didn't like it cause spotify annoys me.  So on a whim I bought "Dark Passion Play." OMG, I can't believe how awesome this album is.  "For the Heart I Once Had" is amazingly stunning. 

So far, I have 3 albums.  All very good.  I can't choose between Century Child and Dark Passion Play for a current favorite but I know I need more albums.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1989 on: August 17, 2015, 11:23:27 PM »
Imaginaerum is one of my favorite albums of all time. The story, the lyrics, the music—it is so epic and bombastic but also touching and real, which I think their music with Tarja definitely lacked. Their newest album, in my opinion, is also quite good. Miles above anything with Tarja, slightly better than Dark Passion Play, and not nearly as good as Imaginaerum.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1990 on: August 18, 2015, 02:27:06 AM »

Agreed! I hope for a live version. She nails it.

Don't know if you knew this, but there is a studio piano version of Floor singing it with After Forever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpxOKueE-_0

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: August 18, 2015, 05:35:07 AM »
FINALLY getting around to getting into this band.  I checked out a bunch of stuff on spotify and decided to buy "Once" a couple months ago.  Really liked it and it grew on me slowly.  I eventually recently got "Century Child." Holy crap, what a great album!!!  I have really been into Tarja and even bought some of her solo stuff (not as good as the Nightwish stuff to me, but still good). 

I had never gotten into the other NW singers but have only tried on spotify and probly didn't like it cause spotify annoys me.  So on a whim I bought "Dark Passion Play." OMG, I can't believe how awesome this album is.  "For the Heart I Once Had" is amazingly stunning. 

So far, I have 3 albums.  All very good.  I can't choose between Century Child and Dark Passion Play for a current favorite but I know I need more albums.

Go with their two newest albums, Imaginarium (if you like DPP, you'll like this) and Endless Forms Most Beautiful (might as well go with the newest and maybe best of the three singers, and this is my personal favorite album).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1992 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:18 AM »

Go with their two newest albums, Imaginarium (if you like DPP, you'll like this) and Endless Forms Most Beautiful (might as well go with the newest and maybe best of the three singers, and this is my personal favorite album).

Agreed. Especially Imaginarium is excellent (still have to watch that film and soundtrack to it).

EFMB has grown on me a lot by the way. Can't wait to see them later this year.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1993 on: August 18, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »
EFMB is still my album of the year, though it is being challenged by the new Symphony X.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1994 on: August 18, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »

Great start, you have my top 2 NW albums (DPP and CC)  :tup But yes, go with Imaginaerum and EFMB next. Then feel free to venture to the early records