Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318021 times)

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1785 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:32 AM »
philly tonight  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1786 on: April 10, 2015, 11:17:53 AM »

If I wasnt feeling so tired and crappy today I think I would make the drive down there for a second viewing of this show.  Enjoy tonight!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1787 on: April 10, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
I'm getting a serious boner for this show later this month. The album has "Floor will kill it live" written all over it.

On Elan right now for my first play through the new album and I already have that feeling. I think I have to get tickets now, look what you've caused.

You know where to find me bro.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: April 11, 2015, 01:56:55 AM »

Any difference with the set list?  Hope it was an awesome show!

**EDIT - looks like the same setlist......

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/electric-factory-philadelphia-pa-23c8b08b.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:22:04 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline 425

« Reply #1789 on: April 11, 2015, 02:44:41 PM »
My thoughts on the setlist follow, so spoilers below:

I'm not actually going to be able to make it to a show this tour—they actually are going near where I'll be this summer the day before school ends and near where I go to college just a few days after classes end, so I'm missing them on both ends, unfortunately. However, hopefully they'll do a DVD for this tour, so I'll get to see that.

I think the setlist is pretty good, though I have some quibbles. I like the amount of the new album that they're playing, but I think it's an absolute crime that they've left Alpenglow off. To me, that's a perfect live song for towards the end of a set. I think they should have left out Yours Is an Empty Hope, which is my least favorite on the album, and put in Alpenglow instead. Besides that, though, I agree with the selection of the songs. Obviously they were going to play Shudder, Élan, the title track and The Greatest Show On Earth. And I'm tremendously pleased that they threw in Weak Fantasy as well. My Walden is a good choice to round that out.

Getting three pre-Century Child songs is unexpected and awesome. I'm really eager to hear Floor on Stargazers and Sleeping Sun. I kind of thought we might get Stargazers, but Sleeping Sun is a great surprise. She Is My Sin is a choice I can't complain about either, though it was on the Wacken DVD.

The one other thing I'm a little disappointed in is that Dark Passion Play is still not getting much love live. I'm really pleased that The Islander got in there, but I'd love to see one more DPP song that isn't Amaranth in the set. Would have been really cool for them to pull out Sahara or For the Heart I Once Had in place of, say, Storytime.

But on the whole, really good setlist. I mean, most of the best songs on the new album, plus Stargazers, Sleeping Sun, The Islander and Ghost Love Score? I'll definitely take it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1790 on: April 11, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »
My thoughts on the setlist follow, so spoilers below:

I'm not actually going to be able to make it to a show this tour—they actually are going near where I'll be this summer the day before school ends and near where I go to college just a few days after classes end, so I'm missing them on both ends, unfortunately. However, hopefully they'll do a DVD for this tour, so I'll get to see that.

I think the setlist is pretty good, though I have some quibbles. I like the amount of the new album that they're playing, but I think it's an absolute crime that they've left Alpenglow off. To me, that's a perfect live song for towards the end of a set. I think they should have left out Yours Is an Empty Hope, which is my least favorite on the album, and put in Alpenglow instead. Besides that, though, I agree with the selection of the songs. Obviously they were going to play Shudder, Élan, the title track and The Greatest Show On Earth. And I'm tremendously pleased that they threw in Weak Fantasy as well. My Walden is a good choice to round that out.

Getting three pre-Century Child songs is unexpected and awesome. I'm really eager to hear Floor on Stargazers and Sleeping Sun. I kind of thought we might get Stargazers, but Sleeping Sun is a great surprise. She Is My Sin is a choice I can't complain about either, though it was on the Wacken DVD.

The one other thing I'm a little disappointed in is that Dark Passion Play is still not getting much love live. I'm really pleased that The Islander got in there, but I'd love to see one more DPP song that isn't Amaranth in the set. Would have been really cool for them to pull out Sahara or For the Heart I Once Had in place of, say, Storytime.

But on the whole, really good setlist. I mean, most of the best songs on the new album, plus Stargazers, Sleeping Sun, The Islander and Ghost Love Score? I'll definitely take it.

I completely agree with you about the one point about the setlist, but then I watched that song live on youtube, and its the perfect example of Floor performing way better than the album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_dJlad_fMQ

Offline 425

« Reply #1791 on: April 11, 2015, 04:51:55 PM »
Definitely a good performance! I just don't like the song nearly as well as the one I said I wished they'd play instead.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1792 on: April 12, 2015, 07:46:29 AM »
Random other note: I love the way Floor whispers "Us, sleeping" at the end of the first vocal section of The Greatest Show On Earth. It may be a testament to how much I know and love Tuomas' songwriting that I knew he was going to have her do that on my first listen before it even happened and that I absolutely love it regardless.

Can you elaborate? Is that line in more songs? I be confused.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1793 on: April 12, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
Sidenote, never realised that Emppu was so short.  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline 425

« Reply #1794 on: April 12, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
Random other note: I love the way Floor whispers "Us, sleeping" at the end of the first vocal section of The Greatest Show On Earth. It may be a testament to how much I know and love Tuomas' songwriting that I knew he was going to have her do that on my first listen before it even happened and that I absolutely love it regardless.

Can you elaborate? Is that line in more songs? I be confused.

Honest to god, I have no idea how I saw it coming, I just... did? I had the lyrics in front of me, so obviously I could read that the next lyrics were "Us, sleeping" but somehow I just knew "she's going to whisper it." So in case it was confusing, what I predicted was not the line, but the vocal style.

Nightwish has done that before, in Whoever Brings the Night, off the top of my head ("Welcome to a sunrise... of a dirty mind"), and maybe more times as well. I don't know why I correctly got the sense that they were going to do it in TGSOE, but I was, and I thought it was interesting enough to briefly comment on it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1795 on: April 13, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »
Personally, I'm kinda disappointed in the setlist.  I've got no problem with the focus on EFMB, so 7 tracks there is awesome.  But 7 more tracks that are right from the last tour (3 from the last album).  They're only playing 5 songs from the Tarja era, 3 of which were already played last tour... only 2 new Tarja era songs??  I is disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the show is going to be awesome, and I'm going to love every second of it... but I sure as hell would've been even happier if some of the songs from Showtime/Storytime were replaced with other Tarja-era songs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1796 on: April 13, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
I wouldn't mind them swapping out I Want My Tears Back (or maybe Storytime) for something more tasty indeed. And I could've lived without Amaranth too, I'm tired of this one.

I'm really glad to see The Islander and Sleeping Sun on the setlist though. Love those two songs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #1797 on: April 13, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »
**Setlist spoilers**

I think they specifically put in I Want My Tears Back to make sure that there are enough Troy songs in there. I think Storytime is more of a prime target for replacement. I personally want to see Dark Passion Play get more love, so I would love to have something like Sahara in there in place of Storytime.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1798 on: April 13, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »
**Setlist spoilers**

I think they specifically put in I Want My Tears Back to make sure that there are enough Troy songs in there. I think Storytime is more of a prime target for replacement. I personally want to see Dark Passion Play get more love, so I would love to have something like Sahara in there in place of Storytime.

Agreed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1799 on: April 13, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »
It already seems weird that a full time band member is only on stage for half the show, plus I Want My Tears back is definitely one of thier best crowd pleaser songs so I think it should stay, but Storytime and Amaranth are both songs that could be and should be replaced.  Id also argue that Alpenglow should be played, that song is really growing on me to be one of my favorite all time Nightwish songs.  It also has Troy on it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1800 on: April 14, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »
Personally, I'm kinda disappointed in the setlist.  I've got no problem with the focus on EFMB, so 7 tracks there is awesome.  But 7 more tracks that are right from the last tour (3 from the last album).  They're only playing 5 songs from the Tarja era, 3 of which were already played last tour... only 2 new Tarja era songs??  I is disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the show is going to be awesome, and I'm going to love every second of it... but I sure as hell would've been even happier if some of the songs from Showtime/Storytime were replaced with other Tarja-era songs.
Not just Tarja era, they have enough hits right now to not have to rely on Nemo and Amaranth and all their MTV video songs anymore, plus the last year's single is my least favorite thing to see on a setlist. Like, yeah, sure, those songs are anthemic, but they have so many hits they can dig up that we haven't heard for 5+ years just from Once/DPP alone, let alone deeper cuts from Tarja's era. I think at least 5 songs on that setlist ought to be replaced.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1801 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:39 AM »
being that this was my first time seeing them I was perfectly happy with the setlist as is.  And i was fine not having "radio hits" like Bye Bye Beautiful or Wish I Had An Angel, as those are both just so-so to me.  it was an incredible show  :hefdaddy
plus met the whole band beforehand, got everyone on my EFMB vinyl and poster, and got Kai to sign my two Wintersun albums as well  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1802 on: April 14, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
I would be thrilled to not have Wish I Had an Angel, but I am still surprised that they are not playing it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: April 14, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
I would be thrilled to not have Wish I Had an Angel, but I am still surprised that they are not playing it.

Agreed, I was pleasantly surprised that didnt show up although I may have liked that over Amaranth or Storytime (I just think IWIHaA is a better crowd energizing live song).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1804 on: April 14, 2015, 02:40:43 PM »
Hey bosky, you going to the April 28 show?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1805 on: April 14, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
Nope.  Not good timing, unfortunately.  And as much of a disappointment as this album is to me, bottom line is, I just don't want it bad enough to make the trek.  Maybe if they were playing locally.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1806 on: April 14, 2015, 03:04:14 PM »
Ok.....  :'(

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1807 on: April 14, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »
Endless Forms Most Beautiful is Nightwish's best album.

Offline 425

« Reply #1808 on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »

And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1809 on: April 14, 2015, 10:06:02 PM »
Nope.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: April 15, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »

This.  I wanted to give more time to let this album soak in more before I proclaimed this, but I don't think I need anymore time.  For me, besides the awesome music and Floors amazing vocals, the lyrical content on this album is just on another level.  The whole concept of the universe and being one with nature and music is something that I find really awesome and thought provoking. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1811 on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
The album is really good, but its just slightly under Century Child for me. It may surpass it down the road. Still needs more time.

So far this is my ranking of faves:

1. Alpenglow
2. Endless Forms
3. Shudder
4. Weak Fantasy
5. My Walden
6. Yours Is An Empty Hope
7. The Greatest Show on Earth
8. Elan
9. Edema Ruh
10. Our Decades in The Sun
11. Eyes

They're all excellent, even Eyes, I need more listens though to really determine what the bottom half ranks. The first 3 Are for sure songs I really enjoy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: April 15, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »
**SETLIST SPOILER**

they did make a minor change and swapped Nemo for Ever Dream on the last 2 shows :)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1813 on: April 15, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
Nice change for a better song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
Nice change for a better song.

Agreed, but I really like Nemo with Troy.  I would have rather them swap out a different song, but Ever Dream is one of my favorites by them so I would have liked to have seen that.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1815 on: April 15, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
I like the new album, but am not blown away. But I still haven't really listened to it that much. I think Floor does great on the album, but something about the way the vocals are mixed in bothers me a bit. I think I've heard most of Floor's capabilities troughout the album, so do not really understand the complaint in terms of her performance. And Marco is underused indeed, which is really too bad. A surprise for me is that I do really like Dawkins. Hated previous spoken stuff, but I think TGSON nails the timing, length and build up (and music/ambience alongside it). His voice is just great for this stuff. Also, Live some of these songs will be amazing I think (and I have my tickets  ;D ).

Btw, looking at that picture above, I wonder how tall Floor is. She probably contributed to us Dutchies being the tallest population on earth though  :P

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1816 on: April 15, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
Sidenote, never realised that Emppu was so short.  :lol

Crap, he looks like a midget.

On a related note, as it has been mentioned already I dig the new album but so far I haven't had any O SHIT moments like on Imaginaerum.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: April 15, 2015, 12:01:51 PM »
I like the new album, but am not blown away. 

I agree. EFMB is good, no doubt, but Imaginaerum is just on the other level entirely.

And Century Child is still sitting comfortably at the top for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1819 on: April 15, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
If true...this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... :yarr

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-vancouver-show-to-be-filmed-for-dvd-release/

This would be great!

But to be honest I expected them to film the Wembley Arena concert, which seems like an absolute career highlight if they manage to fill it.