Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318262 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1750 on: April 07, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »
I feel the same way; the narration on this album is much more bearable than on Imaginaerum, due to both its reduced quantity and less pretentious (though that is not quite the word I am looking for) subject matter.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1751 on: April 07, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
I just turn off the album right before he starts narrating. I have no desire to hear minutes of narration of an awful poem once again.

I don't know what the first passage at the end is from, but I'm pretty sure the second one is from Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species as it has the "Endless forms most beautiful" line. Hardly awful. Did you even listen to them before declaring them to be awful?

To each their own, but its certainly not a poem so I question if you listened as well and the subject matter of the spoken word is the same subject of the lyrics to the song and the theme of the album. It fits very well IMO.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1752 on: April 07, 2015, 02:42:49 PM »
I just turn off the album right before he starts narrating. I have no desire to hear minutes of narration of an awful poem once again.

I don't know what the first passage at the end is from, but I'm pretty sure the second one is from Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species as it has the "Endless forms most beautiful" line. Hardly awful. Did you even listen to them before declaring them to be awful?

To each their own, but its certainly not a poem so I question if you listened as well and the subject matter of the spoken word is the same subject of the lyrics to the song and the theme of the album. It fits very well IMO.

Absolutely. Along with the music, it's beautifully epic.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1753 on: April 08, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
I honestly haven't listened n to it, the first couple of verses were enough. I'll probably listen to the entire thing sometime soon though, but since I really don't like his narration when it appears earlier on the album, I doubt I'll like five minutes of it at the end. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1754 on: April 08, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
There is no five minute narration. The first one is 25 seconds, the second is 1 minute 6 seconds, and the 3rd one is 24 seconds.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1755 on: April 08, 2015, 11:04:20 AM »
Either way, it isn't very good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: April 08, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
Please listen before you say something is awful.  If you dont like it, thats cool.  I hated the spoken word at the end of Song of Myself, but I at least listened to it before forming that opinion and obviously listened to the spoken word on TGSoE which I felt was light years better.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1757 on: April 08, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
I edited my post with exact times. And no surprise that you don't like it, Bosk.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1758 on: April 08, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »
Please listen before you say something is awful.  If you dont like it, thats cool.  I hated the spoken word at the end of Song of Myself, but I at least listened to it before forming that opinion and obviously listened to the spoken word on TGSoE which I felt was light years better.
???  I have listened to it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: April 08, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
I've listened to this album about eight times during the last three days, and the part of Dawkins narration in TGSOE towards the end, starting with "We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones" is the pinnacle of the album for me. I think the Darwin quote in the very end is unnecessary, but otherwise the narration is amazing.

I've had the same kind of problem with Song of Myself. I loved the narration here too, I still do, but after "I've never been so close to truth, and then I touched its silver lining" it becomes unnecessary, in my opinion. Still, some moments of it, like "It was us, roaming the rainy roads" part and the following "Beyond all mortality we are" are absolutely glorious.

More thoughts on the actual album later.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1760 on: April 08, 2015, 11:13:50 AM »
I'm getting a serious boner for this show later this month. The album has "Floor will kill it live" written all over it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
???  I have listened to it.

Wasnt meant for you

Was regarding this:

I honestly haven't listened n to it, the first couple of verses were enough. I'll probably listen to the entire thing sometime soon though, but since I really don't like his narration when it appears earlier on the album, I doubt I'll like five minutes of it at the end. 

I'm getting a serious boner for this show later this month. The album has "Floor will kill it live" written all over it.

I'll have an opinion on that Thursday night or Friday morning  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1762 on: April 08, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »

*takes half a step backward*

Offline 425

« Reply #1763 on: April 08, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »
I've had the same kind of problem with Song of Myself. I loved the narration here too, I still do, but after "I've never been so close to truth, and then I touched its silver lining" it becomes unnecessary, in my opinion. Still, some moments of it, like "It was us, roaming the rainy roads" part and the following "Beyond all mortality we are" are absolutely glorious.

I agree that the Song of Myself narration is hit-and-miss. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the first part, where he's talking about finding beauty in ugly things, but I absolutely love the parts you named ("It was us... Beyond all mortality we are..."). I could go line-by-line picking out parts that I love and parts that rub me the wrong way, but on the whole I think the narration even in that song is pretty well done and I would rather have it than not, for those glorious moments and for the way even things I find personally disagreeable are pretty well expressed.

And I love "And there forever remains the change from G to E minor"

I suppose no one really wanted to read/respond to my behemoth post from a few days back that gave my thoughts on the album, so I'll give a brief update here: I'm really liking this record. It won't be my favorite Nightwish album, I don't think it'll top Imaginaerum, but it is a worthy entry into their discography with some really really good songs.

Favorites: Shudder Before the Beautiful, Weak Fantasy, Edema Ruh, Alpenglow

Too early to say, but could easily become a favorite because of how well written and constructed it is: The Greatest Show On Earth
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: April 08, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I could go line-by-line picking out parts that I love and parts that rub me the wrong way, but on the whole I think the narration even in that song is pretty well done and I would rather have it than not, for those glorious moments and for the way even things I find personally disagreeable are pretty well expressed.

Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. I like some of the first part sections though, "I see a beaten dog in a pungent alley" and "A mother visits her son, smiles to him through the bars, she's never loved him more" are amazing, and "A city that worships flesh" line makes a terrific transition into the next part of narration.

And I've read your behemoth post, I was going to address it in my post with all the thoughts about the new album (and I'm still going to, actually). I think I'll write it on the weekend, need to spin the album few more times.

Curiously enough, as of now my favourite track is probably Elan.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: April 08, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
I suppose no one really wanted to read/respond to my behemoth post from a few days back that gave my thoughts on the album, so I'll give a brief update here: I'm really liking this record. It won't be my favorite Nightwish album, I don't think it'll top Imaginaerum, but it is a worthy entry into their discography with some really really good songs.

Favorites: Shudder Before the Beautiful, Weak Fantasy, Edema Ruh, Alpenglow

Too early to say, but could easily become a favorite because of how well written and constructed it is: The Greatest Show On Earth

I read it.  I actually still think this album has potential to be my favorite, but right now its still behind Once.  Time will tell where it finally lands cause the newness is definitely weighing heavily on my favoritism towards it, but I think I can say it is definitely better then Imaginareum at this point.  I just think it is more consistent overall.  I find EVERY song on EFMB to be at least good and some to be very good.

I guess I will throw out my initial song rankings, ive had enough listens now to form that much of an opinion although it could change:

1. The Greatest Show on Earth
2/3. Alpenglow/Edema Ruh - this is hard to decide now
4. Shutter Before the Beautiful
5. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
6. Weak Fantasy
7. My Walden
8. Our Decades in the Sun
9. Elan
10. Yours is an Empty Hope
11. The Eyes of Sharbat Gula

Offline 425

« Reply #1766 on: April 08, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. I like some of the first part sections though, "I see a beaten dog in a pungent alley" and "A mother visits her son, smiles to him through the bars, she's never loved him more" are amazing, and "A city that worships flesh" line makes a terrific transition into the next part of narration.

Personally these don't do much for me, but, on the other hand, I like a good chunk of the ending, which you don't seem to like as well as I do. Particularly the aforementioned closing line, but also "Careless realism costs souls," and, actually, the "decent manboy" section.

Good to know that my post was read, though I certainly didn't mean to complain or pick at people about it; the thing is ridiculously long.

Curiously enough, as of now my favourite track is probably Elan.

I like but don't love Élan at the moment. It's good but I'd put it in the bottom 1/3 of the album. This is coming to it having heard it for the first time when I first heard the album (I didn't listen to anything from this album before release day), though, so take what you will from that.

I read it.  I actually still think this album has potential to be my favorite, but right now its still behind Once.  Time will tell where it finally lands cause the newness is definitely weighing heavily on my favoritism towards it, but I think I can say it is definitely better then Imaginareum at this point.  I just think it is more consistent overall.  I find EVERY song on EFMB to be at least good and some to be very good.

I just can't put it ahead of Imaginaerum, personally, because I love every song on that record and really find it to be a burst of creativity in all sorts of different directions—no song on there is like any other song on there.

Extremely preliminary song rankings on the new album from me:
1. Shudder Before the Beautiful
2. Weak Fantasy
3. The Greatest Show On Earth (very high propensity to move up, just isn't quite one unit in my head yet)
4. Alpenglow
5. Edema Ruh
6. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
7. My Walden
8. The Eyes of Sharbat Gula
9. Élan
10. Our Decades in the Sun
11. Yours Is an Empty Hope

Random other note: I love the way Floor whispers "Us, sleeping" at the end of the first vocal section of The Greatest Show On Earth. It may be a testament to how much I know and love Tuomas' songwriting that I knew he was going to have her do that on my first listen before it even happened and that I absolutely love it regardless.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: April 08, 2015, 10:21:55 PM »
My rankings are pretty different, but I agree with Yours is an Empty Hope placement.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1768 on: April 08, 2015, 10:34:34 PM »

*takes half a step backward*

Make that a full step bro....  :RJ:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1769 on: April 08, 2015, 10:36:38 PM »
I'm really starting to fall for the new album.
After half a dozen listens it's really got a hold of me.
I am now checking out the instrumental version, which without the vocals really hits you just how massive and epic this album really is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: April 09, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
My rankings are pretty different, but I agree with Yours is an Empty Hope placement.

This song to me is a better version of Master Passion Greed.  I really like the instrumental part, really sounds cool and a slightly different feel for NW, but the rest of the song does nothing and hence why I also rate it low.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #1771 on: April 10, 2015, 12:21:02 AM »

On Elan right now for my first play through the new album and I already have that feeling. I think I have to get tickets now, look what you've caused.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: April 10, 2015, 05:57:05 AM »
Awesome concert last night!! Floor was amazing.  They played most of the new album and even brought back a couple old songs.  The whole show was great really, Delain was good and so was Sabaton.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: April 10, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »
Awesome concert last night!! Floor was amazing.  They played most of the new album and even brought back a couple old songs.  The whole show was great really, Delain was good and so was Sabaton.

Awesome to hear Marc!  Can't wait for The LA show.  What were some of the highlights for you?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: April 10, 2015, 07:36:16 AM »

Awesome to hear Marc!  Can't wait for The LA show.  What were some of the highlights for you?

Definitely the new material.  Im really becoming obsessed with the new album so all of the new songs were great, although the played my least favorite song from the album and not a couple of my favorites.  Security seemed very lax as well, I had GA floor ticket, but my buddy and I just walked upstairs and onto one of the private balconies that was half empty and stood on top of the chairs against the wall and rocked out from there. I dont know if people here dont want to be spoiled or not so I will make the font small here
They played Stargazers for the first time in 12 years (thats what Floor said lol).  That was a awesome surprise and I guess star gazing fits into the theme of the new album as well so it fit.  It was my first time seeing Floor perform in person with any band so just getting to see her do her thing was great, she seems to have great stage presence and an amazing voice, obviously.  Im not the biggest fan of the song The Islander which they played, but I may have some new feelings towards it.  The end when Floor came in to sing with Marco was really powerful and awesome.  They played one ballad, Sleeping Sun so that made two songs from Oceanborn which seemed odd, but I loved it because I like to get to see different songs and Oceanborn is a good album so no complaints.  They finished the set with TGSoE, but only did the full band part of the song, no intro and no outro which made sense for the live performance so it doesnt eat up as much set time, and then for the encore with Ghost Love Score  :metal :metal :metal

The full set list is here which looks correct https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2015/hammerstein-ballroom-new-york-ny-5bc8b78c.html
For anyone interested, I got a full video of one of the new songs and put it on youtube this morning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMzeECiDY0

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1776 on: April 10, 2015, 07:42:02 AM »
Well I'm stunned at the inclusion of 3 very old songs and Floor nails them all.
There is a very good (audio and video) of the full show on YT too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:12 AM »
Oh nice, just found that video of the whole concert. Very cool!  Part of me wants to drive down to Philly to catch them again tonight.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: April 10, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »

Definitely the new material.  Im really becoming obsessed with the new album so all of the new songs were great, although the played my least favorite song from the album and not a couple of my favorites.  Security seemed very lax as well, I had GA floor ticket, but my buddy and I just walked upstairs and onto one of the private balconies that was half empty and stood on top of the chairs against the wall and rocked out from there. I dont know if people here dont want to be spoiled or not so I will make the font small here

Awesome!  I've been watching some of the clips and made some of the same observations as you.

I liked that they cut down TGSOE, usually not a big fan of that practice, but it makes perfect sense for Nightwish.  I absolutely love the song setting sun, so seeing Floor do it is awesome.  You're right, Stargazer fits with the theme of the show for sure.  I also figured Shudder would be the perfect opener....and it is!!!  Man I can't wait till 5/1!!!! :metal :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: April 10, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »

Awesome!  I've been watching some of the clips and made some of the same observations as you.

I liked that they cut down TGSOE, usually not a big fan of that practice, but it makes perfect sense for Nightwish.  I absolutely love the song setting sun, so seeing Floor do it is awesome.  You're right, Stargazer fits with the theme of the show for sure.  I also figured Shudder would be the perfect opener....and it is!!!  Man I can't wait till 5/1!!!! :metal :metal :metal

There is a business trip to LA coming up soon, maybe I can get my boss to let me go and try to make the dates work so I can see them out there.   

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: April 10, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »

There is a business trip to LA coming up soon, maybe I can get my boss to let me go and try to make the dates work so I can see them out there.

In the immortal words of Captain Piccard....  "Make it so!"  It'll be a blast!  The wiffe is going also, it's gonna be an awesome night.  Don't know iff you've been to the Greek, but it's a great outdoor venue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: April 10, 2015, 08:20:45 AM »

In the immortal words of Captain Piccard....  "Make it so!"  It'll be a blast!  The wiffe is going also, it's gonna be an awesome night.  Don't know iff you've been to the Greek, but it's a great outdoor venue.

Nope, have only been to that one DT concert out there, but outdoors sounds awesome and since its LA its not like you need to worry about it raining.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: April 10, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »

Nope, have only been to that one DT concert out there, but outdoors sounds awesome and since its LA its not like you need to worry about it raining.

Yeah.... especially in the middle of a drought.  It's really a great venue for sound. 

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1783 on: April 10, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »
Great setlist :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: April 10, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »
I was fairly bummed though that Marco didn't sing with Delain at all.  He sings on at least 3 songs I believe including one of their newer singles.  That would have been awesome.