Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318296 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1680 on: March 20, 2015, 08:07:37 AM »
What is the release date on this?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1681 on: March 20, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
March 27 (EU), March 30 (UK), 31 (us losers)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1682 on: March 20, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
Thanks!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1683 on: March 20, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »
Please tell me that there's no more 7+ minutes of spoken poetry.

Actually, there's like 5+ minutes of sound effects and Richard Dawkins' sexy voice narrating throughout the song.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1684 on: March 21, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »
Right now Alpenglow and Endless Forms Most Beautiful are my top 2 songs on the album.

TGSOE has really grown on me I found it pretty underwhelming at first, but now I love it. I still would have cut the last couple minutes off though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: March 23, 2015, 06:33:53 PM »
I finally got myself a listen to the new Nightwish and I have mixed feelings about it.   First off - it's undoubtedly a very good album , very consistent with no real duds in contrast to an album like Imaginaerum which I felt had high highs but quite a few duds.    It's a heavy album with the expected Celtic flavour and overall it's a real enjoyable listen with lovely , if a bit familiar sounding, melodies etc.......

The big disappointment for me is how Floor Jansen has been used.   I come to this album as a Nightwish fan but an even bigger fan of Floor , especially her work on the final After Forever album.  The Showtime Storytime stuff and in particular the way she blitzed Ghost Love Score on that bonus footage had me drooling in anticipation for this album.

I know not everyone agrees with me but I wanted to see an album that was written to take full advantage of her power and ability to cover the operatic and metal sides better than anyone.  Instead she's very restrained , too low in the mix and IMHO is being used as a support/compliment to the music rather than a feature of the band. In many ways it sounds like an album written for Anette's range and Floor can just kick back with a beer and do this in her sleep.  She gives a good performance of course but there's no real fire to it , except on the epic The Greatest Show On Earth which kicks ass and is clearly Floor's best moment with good back and forward with Marco (who is very lightly used on the album.). 

It pains me to say it but if I were to compare them I'd much rather listen to Sharon (who I consider an inferior talent) on WT's The Unforgiving in terms of an overall vocal performance.....or Floor singing the old stuff live.

Having said all of the above I'd still rate the album around 85%.  I was just hoping for more from what I view as a marriage made in heaven.   I hope that Floor is given more input and room to shine on the next album.  The Greatest Show On Earth hints at what is possible.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:53:26 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: March 23, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
I gave the album a few listens and while I think it is AWESOME, Floor is definitely not used to her full potential.  I also agree she is a little low on the mix and maybe that could help me feel like she is more powerful on the album, but she just isn't.  The songs don't call for it and I think thats just the way NW is these days and its NOT about the vocalist, but the band.  Oh well, I think the album is awesome and has potential to be one of their best if not their best, but I need to give it many more listens before saying that.  Ive listened to the first half about 5 times and the second half only twice.  So I haven't formed enough of a good opinion yet other than I really really like it so far and Floor does seem to not be used like we all know she is capable of.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1687 on: March 23, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
I've only listened to what has been released officially and it felt the same way - too safe. It's like you have anyone for a singer and not one of the most talented singers in rock.
Even if you're bummed out about it, don't count her out - maybe she'll totally own those songs live.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
I've only listened to what has been released officially and it felt the same way - too safe. It's like you have anyone for a singer and not one of the most talented singers in rock.
Even if you're bummed out about it, don't count her out - maybe she'll totally own those songs live.

I dont necessarily find the rest of the album safe.  Not that its totally different either, but the album definitely has its own vibe while still being NW.  Elan was definitely a safe single though.  I also agree that maybe live, there will be more moments of "wow Floor killed it"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1689 on: March 23, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
I agree that Floor will beat the crap out of this album live, it's gonna sound like a completely different album for sure.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1690 on: March 24, 2015, 01:05:55 AM »
I don't agree at all that Floor is restrained on this album, but I think she in controlled. But that's her big skill, she has such power and mastery over her voice. She knows when to sing softly, when to sing "normally" and then when to belt it out. Honestly, I absolutely love her performance on this album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: March 24, 2015, 10:25:19 AM »
Sorry to interrupt your discussion, just wanted to let you folks know, if you want to participate in upcoming Nightwish survivor, be sure to vote in this poll.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1692 on: March 24, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
EDIT: oops, wrong thread
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:41:23 PM by ? »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: March 24, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »
While having SW and Gilmour on stage together would be cool as hell, there's no way in hell it'll ever happen. :P However, I'd love it if Steven got Åkerfeldt to join him for some Storm Corrosion songs.

Yeah man, I'm looking forward to that new Anathema DVD too. :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1694 on: March 24, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
Oops, that's what you get for posting while watching TV at the same time! :lol

Well, since I happen to be in the NW thread I might as well comment on the new songs... Elan is a pretty safe single, but I've heard it on the radio a couple of times so it seems to be doing its job well. :P I like the modulation at the end, but the rest of the song fails to interest me. It's better than the opening track, though - how many times is Tuomas going to recycle that Master Passion Greed riff? :lol The soloing was kind of cool, but the song just screams "been there, done that".

BTW, both of the ex-singers have been appearing on Finnish TV lately - Tarja is a coach on The Voice of Finland, and Anette is competing in a show where artists have to perform songs from various genres outside their comfort zone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: March 24, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
I wish we had TV shows with them here in the US...

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: March 24, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »
waiting patiently for my pre-order CD to arrive....... ::)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: March 25, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
waiting patiently for my pre-order CD to arrive....... ::)

Just got this e-mail:

Hello,

You have ordered the new Nightwish album from our webshop. We are sorry to inform that we just got an information from Nightwish's record label Nuclear Blast that there's been a production delay at the factory with all Earbook and yellow vinyl editions and those editions are running late which means that we will get those items to our stock late. Since your order included earbook or/and yellow vinyl version of the album, we are not able to send your order to you in time. This same delay issue is with every reseller of these versions of the new Nightwish album. We should get these missing items to our stock early next week and we will ship your order to you as soon as the items arrive to our warehouse. You will get an information to your e-mail as soon as we have shipped your order to you.

This is very unfortunate situation and we are really sorry for the inconvenience. We hope that you can wait the new Nightwish album still for a few more days.

Great. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »
That sucks... they should give you guys free digital versions on release day.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: March 25, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
That would be my thought too, you should at least get a download version.  I'm e is just the regular CD so if I read the note right I should be ok

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: March 25, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »
I use amazon to digital download so it wont matter to me, but Id be livid if I couldn't listen to the album on release day.  I guess there are always other methods like youtube, but that sucks.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: March 25, 2015, 12:07:54 PM »
I ordered at Madsupply and I don't think we're getting a download version, at least there's no information about it or anything. And it's not only a matter of listening to music itself, sometimes with my favourite bands I just prefer to get into the album while reading the booklet (or, in that case, that huge earbook), skimming through the artwork and so on.

Short version of my post: that delay sucks.

And yeah, I guess the delay is only for earbooks and yellow vinyls.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1702 on: March 25, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
Pretty late in the day for productions delays?
You would have thought that all versions would have been already manufactured and shipped to the resellers?

Anyway glad I held off on the leak and my Japanese version should be waiting for me when I get home tonight.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1703 on: March 26, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
Seriously W*** T** F***
Really pissed off to see the the 'delayed' Earbook editions have already leaked in mp3 and FLAC versions.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: March 26, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »
Seriously W*** T** F***
Really pissed off to see the the 'delayed' Earbook editions have already leaked in mp3 and FLAC versions.

Why are you pissed?  Of course it was going to get leaked, thats the society we live in.  Right or wrong, just shouldn't be surprising.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1705 on: March 26, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »
Read the above post about all Earbook versions being delayed for your answer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1706 on: March 26, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
I am pretty sure he did read it.  That does not change anything he said.  I had the same reaction to your post.  I don't see anything to be surprised or pissed about.  And that includes the pre-order just being delayed in general.  Unfortunately, that kind of thing happens--A LOT.  It should not be surprising in the least (which is one of the reasons I rarely preorder; and when I do, I prep myself for the possibility that something will go wrong and I will actually get it after the release date).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: March 26, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
Yea I don't preorder because I like to listen to the music as soon as I can and pre-ordering just puts that idea at risk.  If anything, leaking the earbook version is a good thing for the delay because it allows (albeit illegal) way to get to at least listen to the music you paid for.  Im not condoning that route, just saying.  Like I said earlier, it would be an awesome gesture of the band to allow the people who have a delayed product to get a free digital version on release day, this way everyone can be happy and the band can actually get some good PR.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: March 27, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »
So the album is out in Europe already!  I guess I can openly comment on certain things without being spoiler material.

The spoken word on this album by Richard Dawkins is actually really awesome IMO.  I am not one to like spoken word on a music album, but it actually fits and the words themselves are thought provoking and interesting, not at all preaching or even about religion directly (possibly you could say its about a higher power). The song The Greatest Show on Earth is really making me want to go to a planetarium.  That intro feels like something you'd hear in the background while staring at stars and Dawkins voice just sounds like someone speaking over a moonlit sky.  Really awesome feeling. The song itself is a bit all over the place though, but I think it's good.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1709 on: March 27, 2015, 09:39:07 PM »
It's an awesome album. Exactly what I expected having Floor as their new singer.

Elan, reminds me of Nemo.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1710 on: March 27, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
Pretty much my thought too.
Played it twice already, pretty solid so far, but this one is definately a grower.

BTW, the Japanese bonus DVD turns out to be the YT clips of the 'making of the new album' all put together and the video of Elan.
Ah well at least I'm not waiting for Mad Supply to send me my Earbook/Vinyls.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1711 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:04 AM »
On my first listen. Yep, like it so far. Nice crunchy riffs. Beautiful ballads. Agree that Floor doesn´t go ´all out´. But I´m sure she´ll compensate for that plenty live.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: March 29, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
The part on TGSOE with Floor and Marco is probably the highlight of the album, one of the parts where Floor does go all out and it's just amazing.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1713 on: March 29, 2015, 01:30:09 PM »
No one answered this when I posted it so again: why does Floor need to go all out just because she can?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1714 on: March 29, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
No one answered this when I posted it so again: why does Floor need to go all out just because she can?
She doesn't. I don't really understand why anyone would complain that she's "restrained". She goes absolutely all out in a few places, which is more exciting because it's only when the music calls for it. I don't see anyone complaining that Steven Wilson didn't fill his latest two albums with crazy guitar solos just because he has Guthrie Govan in his band.

Floor sounds amazing on this album. I think it might be my favourite Nightwish album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.