Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318334 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1610 on: February 13, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
The song is beautiful and somber. I enjoyed it and Floors soft vocals are lovely. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: February 14, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »
It's a solid song that I'm sure will grow on me more when I listen to it in the flow off the album.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1612 on: February 14, 2015, 10:36:26 PM »
I think there's going to be a lot of hugely disappointed fans who think that;
Floor Jansen + Nightwish = Massive operatic vocals and a return to the Nightwish style/sound of the first the  albums.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1613 on: February 14, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »
I'll give the album a chance but I'm not too hopeful.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1614 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:42 AM »
The main intro theme reminds me heavily of a very soft Amorphis.

My thoughts as well.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1615 on: February 16, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »
I think the ´B´side ´Sagan´ is better...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: February 16, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
The 11th episode is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4DN5MtGQR4

I think I like Elan even better now. Very excited for the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1617 on: February 16, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »
I think there's going to be a lot of hugely disappointed fans who think that;
Floor Jansen + Nightwish = Massive operatic vocals and a return to the Nightwish style/sound of the first the  albums.

I agree. But I do expect some operatic and rocking parts though, like Floor does live with Ghost Love Score. I am expecting the album to use her vocal versatility in a tasteful way. And I am expecting some awesome Marco vocals too.

People badly wanting the Tarja Nightwish should listen some of Xandria's stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9OoLwiAho.

Nightwish moved on in a different direction (which I love).

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1618 on: February 16, 2015, 11:34:01 AM »
Also, Floor is already sounding way better in the rehearsal footage....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1619 on: February 16, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »
I just finished my first listen of Elan. It was pretty good, though the video was meh. I look forward to hearing the rest of the record.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: February 18, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
So, since the release, I had my 3rd listen today to Elan.  I have to say, it's growing on me real fast.  I see how we might feel underwhelmed, but from listening to others I think we have really high hopes for Floor and this new album.  Her voice is actually really good in this song, again, the more I listen to it.  In all actuality, the only hesitation I have with the new album is the Richard Dawkins bit.  I'm OK with a darwinistic theme, but I'm not OK if it entails Intelligent design bashing.   I've always been turned off my bands that got too political, or bashed my beliefs.  One of the reasons I haven't really listened to Epica.  We shall see......

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: February 19, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »
The song is definitely a grower, and I gave Sagan a few listens on youtube and I really enjoy that song too, maybe moreso than Elan and Sagan has kind of an Oceanborn feel to it. 

I just finished my first listen of Elan. It was pretty good, though the video was meh. I look forward to hearing the rest of the record.

I actually really like the video, apparently all the older people in the video are famous finnish actors and it took a really long time to make the video.  I particularly like the end of the video when everyone is in the bar enjoying the music, it goes well with the last chorus where we get a good taste of what Floor is capable of.

Also, Ive read through lots of comments on the videos and people are saying that the new album is NOT going to have Floor showing off her stuff.  Apparently what we get from Elan and Sagan is similar to what we will get for most of her performance on the album, although they say there is at least one song where she shows off more operatic vocals.  As far as I know, thats all just talk and rumor, but based on what has been released and the way the band has been trending over the years, I think that sounds plausible, just disappointing considering the talent they have on vocals now.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1622 on: February 19, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »
I've been listening to Elan a lot lately and it's certainly grown on me, but the real highlight is definitely Sagan. Kinda surprised that one didn't make the album.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: February 19, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
I've been listening to Elan a lot lately and it's certainly grown on me, but the real highlight is definitely Sagan. Kinda surprised that one didn't make the album.

Maybe because of the lyrics?  Seems kind of cheesy to write a song about a person.  Also, NW has a few good bsides so its not out of the norm for them.

Im just hoping that an awesome b-side means the tracks that make the album are really good.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1624 on: February 20, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »
I absolutely love the song. I didn't really like Nightwish with Tarja and am currently very worried that they will revert to the overly bombastic, saccharine grossness that took up much of their Tarja years. Thus, the fact that this song is quite "big" yet isn't overly bombastic is great. If all of the songs could be in this vein, like chorus-wise, I'd be happy. It sounds like something I would expect from DDP/Imag. era Nightwish and that is what I want. I was devastated to hear that Anette was leaving because I thought she made the band. I'm a bit more optimistic after this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: February 20, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
I absolutely love the song. I didn't really like Nightwish with Tarja and am currently very worried that they will revert to the overly bombastic, saccharine grossness that took up much of their Tarja years. Thus, the fact that this song is quite "big" yet isn't overly bombastic is great. If all of the songs could be in this vein, like chorus-wise, I'd be happy. It sounds like something I would expect from DDP/Imag. era Nightwish and that is what I want. I was devastated to hear that Anette was leaving because I thought she made the band. I'm a bit more optimistic after this.

I also liked Anette, but I think you have a minority opinion there.  I think this album will be something you will like though cause I dont think they are going back to the Tarja sound, but continue with the more Annette sounding albums especially given Elan which sounds like a perfect song for Anette.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1626 on: February 20, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »
I'm perfectly aware that my opinion is in the minority.

I do hope you're right. If they stick with the Anette sound, that'd be lovely. That way, the band could sound like they did the last two albums but with a bit more punch perhaps; I'm still skeptical about that part. I just loved DPP and Imaginaerum so much. The latter is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: February 20, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
I'm perfectly aware that my opinion is in the minority.

I do hope you're right. If they stick with the Anette sound, that'd be lovely. That way, the band could sound like they did the last two albums but with a bit more punch perhaps; I'm still skeptical about that part. I just loved DPP and Imaginaerum so much. The latter is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I think I'm in that minority with you.  Being new to Nightwish, I've tried to sample bits and pieces.  I've listened extensively to Once, Oceanborn, Dark Passion Play, End of an Era, Showtime/ Storytime, and Imaginaerum.  While I appreciate Tarja's skills and enjoy some songs, she's #3 on my NW vocalist rankings.  I think Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum are just brilliant vocally.  Annette is fantastic!  As far as Floor, My first exposure to NW was Showtime, Storytime.  Her vocals are just spectacular and I can't WAIT to hear the new material.   I will as time goes by listen to all the rest of the band's material, maybe my Tarja opinion will change over time.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1628 on: February 20, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
Yeah, I think a large part of which side you fall on is determined by which singer you heard first. I was hooked after Bye Bye Beautiful.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1629 on: February 20, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
While I agree with you from a pure singer perspective, Oceanborn is still my favourite album because the songwriting on that is unparalleled, in my opinion. Either that, or Angels Fall First. While I don't enjoy Tarja that much, those two albums are just packed full of the band's best songs.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

« Reply #1630 on: February 20, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »
Oceanborn is an amazing album that doesn't get enough love around here. It's not my very favorite, but it's an extraordinarily enjoyable album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1631 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
Yeah, I think a large part of which side you fall on is determined by which singer you heard first. I was hooked after Bye Bye Beautiful.
Tarja-era Nightwish was the very first symphonic metal band I'd ever heard so the bombastic, over-the-top nature really kind of blew me away. No matter how good Annette and Floor are at their particular sounds (and I quite like both of them) Tarja will always be my favorite so I think there's probably something to that theory.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1632 on: February 20, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Oceanborn is an amazing album that doesn't get enough love around here. It's not my very favorite, but it's an extraordinarily enjoyable album.

It is probably my fave Nightwish album, well I know it's the most played NW disc in my collection.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1633 on: February 23, 2015, 04:01:20 AM »

It is probably my fave Nightwish album, well I know it's the most played NW disc in my collection.

From what I've heard, Tuomas supposedly aimed for Endless Forms Most Beautiful to be a blend of sorts between Oceanborn and Once. If that's true and if he's pulled that off properly... I'm salivating at the possibilities. :metal

Either way, I suspect I'll be very satisfied regardless of what the album ends up sounding like. Floor is easily the best singer the band has ever had. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: February 23, 2015, 05:41:48 AM »

From what I've heard, Tuomas supposedly aimed for Endless Forms Most Beautiful to be a blend of sorts between Oceanborn and Once. If that's true and if he's pulled that off properly... I'm salivating at the possibilities. :metal

Either way, I suspect I'll be very satisfied regardless of what the album ends up sounding like. Floor is easily the best singer the band has ever had. :hefdaddy

Hmm, interesting.  Im a big Oceanborn fan myself.  It probably rates on the bottom half of NW albums, but thats only cause the competition is tough.  And I totally think Sagan has an oceanborn feel to it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1635 on: February 26, 2015, 03:16:11 AM »
I finally got around to getting the Tarja and Harus live CD.
I have to say I much prefer Tarja's post Nightwish material in this format, the classical soprano style.
Killer version of Walking In The Air https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQNgUtJkKs
 and another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQU0NTCVh4k

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: March 06, 2015, 06:35:39 AM »
Latest video

https://youtu.be/vv_nCG0jJVo

I really enjoy this one, watching Floor sing.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1637 on: March 07, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
Right now, I am listening to Once for the first time. And... just... damn. This may even beat out Century Child as my favorite Nightwish album.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: March 09, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
Right now, I am listening to Once for the first time. And... just... damn. This may even beat out Century Child as my favorite Nightwish album.

Awesome album, but for me as a noobie Nightwish person, Dark Passion Play is in the lead.  What a spectacular album!  Just put in my pre-order for the new one, and have my May 1 tix in hand!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1639 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »

If you love those two albums that much, you really should check out the End of an Era DVD if you have not already.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1640 on: March 09, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »
Awesome album, but for me as a noobie Nightwish person, Dark Passion Play is in the lead.  What a spectacular album!  Just put in my pre-order for the new one, and have my May 1 tix in hand!  :metal :metal :metal

Eh, DPP is probably my least favorite of what I have listened to (CC onwards, though I plan to get the first three soon). It has some of their best songs, but a significant portion is somewhat unremarkable. Though who knows, I've only given it a few spins so far. It may grow on me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1641 on: March 09, 2015, 04:28:24 PM »
I realise that this might be an unpopular opinion, but while I enjoy Anette's and Floor's voices a lot more than I ever dug Tarja's, I would still say that Angels Falls First and Oceanborn are the two best Nightwish albums, simply because of the strength of the songwriting. Albums like Once and Century Child - hell, even Dark Passion Play - had their highlights, but also plenty of filler, but those two albums are just killer all the way through.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: March 09, 2015, 05:31:16 PM »
Funny how are tastes vary so much with regards to the same band.  The spice of life I guess!  ;D  Of the albums I own, the ONLY one that I couldn't just listen to over...and over ...and over was Oceanborn.  A couple good songs, but otherwise not my cup of tea.  My next affter I absorb all DPP has to offer will be Century's Child.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1643 on: March 10, 2015, 01:02:22 AM »
Funny how are tastes vary so much with regards to the same band.
Definitely. Those early albums just don't interest me at all. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: March 10, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »
Angels Fall First is a little more tough to listen to since it is very raw, but Oceanborn is really good IMO, still very raw but a significant improvement in song writing.