Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318223 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1575 on: February 08, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
So apparently the new single Elan got leaked which lead to NW posting a crazy all capital letter rant on Facebook which drove a lot of fans crazy. While leaking the song would upset a band, the reaction by the band was really unprofessional although not surprising

Honestly, I'm sick of leaks at this point, and I'm just a fan. If I was in a band I would definitely post an all-caps rant on Facebook. So I completely understand it. To me, saying that they're unprofessional for reacting that way is akin to saying "Man, that store manager was really unprofessional when he yelled at the person who snuck into the back room and stole a bunch of stuff."

I disagree, and I am not saying they shouldn't be mad.  There is just no need to publicly rant about it like cry babies.  The statement they released after was perfect and the way it should have been handled in the first place.

I'm with cramx3 on this one. The band could've handled their statement a lot more professionally than they initially did. Worse yet, they also uploaded a photo of the person that leaked the song (or the person they thought leaked it, can't remember) on their Facebook page too. I totally understand not being happy with leaks happening, but it's something that happens and something that should be dealt with professionally.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1576 on: February 08, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »
If I put countless hours of work into something, and some cocksucker stole it and put it out for everyone to have for free, I would rage in every fucking manner possible.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1577 on: February 08, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »
They have every right to post what they posted.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1578 on: February 08, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
I couldn't help but be curiously when they posted what they did. No disrespect. I liked the song, and if that's just the demo, I can't wait for the finished version.

EDIT: Apparently whatever I listened to wasn't Elan, but I liked the mystery song more.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:32:57 PM by Zook »

Offline 425

« Reply #1579 on: February 08, 2015, 11:40:32 PM »
I disagree, and I am not saying they shouldn't be mad.  There is just no need to publicly rant about it like cry babies.  The statement they released after was perfect and the way it should have been handled in the first place.

I'm with cramx3 on this one. The band could've handled their statement a lot more professionally than they initially did. Worse yet, they also uploaded a photo of the person that leaked the song (or the person they thought leaked it, can't remember) on their Facebook page too. I totally understand not being happy with leaks happening, but it's something that happens and something that should be dealt with professionally.

See, to me, once someone takes the steps needed to violate someone's personal, private property, then politeness has gone out the window. Same thing with professionalism as it directly relates to that topic. A thief hasn't earned politeness or professionalism. Just like a store owner yelling at, chasing off, calling the police on and putting up the picture of someone who attempt to steal from him, a band has every right to rant about and publicly name people who stole property from them. Someone who does that doesn't deserve respect, because they haven't shown any respect. So I see no problem with the way whoever runs the Nightwish Facebook reacted. In fact, I think I cheered out loud when I read their post, because I was pleased to see someone actually standing up against piracy unapologetically and unequivocally.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1580 on: February 09, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »
Yeah I don't see a problem with calling out someone for illegally leaking something.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: February 11, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
Tickets for Dallas show are doneeeeeee.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1582 on: February 12, 2015, 02:20:36 AM »
Finally got round to pre ordering the 3CD with the 10"LP
I ended up getting; the above mentioned, 2LP Splatter, Elan 10" and CD plus Omnium Gatherum LP with 30euro shipping, all up $190
Aussie dollar is poor against just about every currency right now.

To calm my blood pressure and bank account from spluttering I threw on Once 5.1 DVD, amazing sound lots you don't hear in the mix of the stereo version.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1583 on: February 12, 2015, 01:07:44 PM »
Tuomas just released a video of himself talking about the leak. See, this I can get behind. He's calm and honest about what happened and how he and the rest of the band feel about it. Personally I feel far more sympathetic for him and the band from watching that video than their initial reaction to the whole mess was.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153049306464764

Moreover, I did a little bit more digging and I still maintain that they shouldn't have named that person publicly on Facebook. Apparently it seems like it's very likely that the woman they named was just a fan who was sharing the leak around and wasn't actually the leaker herself. But who knows.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1584 on: February 12, 2015, 11:10:19 PM »
As a rule I don't normally buy digital music, but Nightwish and a couple of other bands are the exception.
So I was shocked find that Elan was nowhere to be found on iTunes and Google Australia.
Thus with modern times, I left a message on Roadrunner Australai's Facebook pages asking why it was missing?
Some 2 hours later I was able to purchase the Elan EP was a very reasonable $2.49.

Elan is a typical Nightwish pre album release single, not too heavy or bombastic, pretty safe straight ahead melodic rocker.
While I had my doubts about Floor singing old material, it only took the first line of this song to convince me of her being right for the band.
With her voice, presence and melody Nightwish finally sounds like they should have after Once.
The non album track Sagan is way better, offering a little more in the way of dynamics.
It also has an old Nightwish feels to it, Wishmaster era comes to mind.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1585 on: February 12, 2015, 11:15:30 PM »
If I put countless hours of work into something, and some cocksucker stole it and put it out for everyone to have for free, I would rage in every fucking manner possible.

Offline adace

« Reply #1586 on: February 13, 2015, 04:08:48 AM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: February 13, 2015, 04:28:22 AM »
Sounds like a song written for Annette - Floor isn't even in 2nd gear.   I hope for much better from the "album tracks."

It does make sense as a single I suppose.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1588 on: February 13, 2015, 05:14:46 AM »
Not sure about this song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: February 13, 2015, 05:28:47 AM »
Sounds like a song written for Annette - Floor isn't even in 2nd gear.   I hope for much better from the "album tracks."

It does make sense as a single I suppose.

This.  Im not sure how I feel about the song.  Its solid, but its not something to get excited about.  Floor is great on it, but its not really using her full potential, or the entire band for that matter.  I want Marco vocals too!  Doesn't really change the excitement for the whole album though, im still pumped to hear the rest of the tracks.

Edit: after another 4 listens.... yea this song is pretty solid.  It didn't initially grab me like Storytime did, but I am really liking this. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:22:21 AM by cramx3 »

Offline Liampie

« Reply #1590 on: February 13, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »
Frankly this sounds incredibly boring. There's nothing left from the way more exciting Oceanborn-Wishmaster era.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: February 13, 2015, 07:28:21 AM »
Can anyone confirm if this was what was leaked?  More specifically is the video the single version or the album version? 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1592 on: February 13, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »
It is the same song. Only the brief piano intro at the beginning of the clip was missing in terms of music as far as I notice.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1593 on: February 13, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Sounds like a song written for Annette - Floor isn't even in 2nd gear.

Very true, I'm sure they'll take full advantage of her skills though.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1594 on: February 13, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »

It's not bad, but it's not great, either. This is far from being a song/video that screams "we're back and better than ever!!!"

Floor certainly looks damn good, though.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1595 on: February 13, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
The radio edit version is 47 seconds shorter than the album version.

Yes it's a very safe song, I was expecting a hammer smash of a song with massive chorus and everything including the kitchen sink thrown in musically.
But after repeated listening I've found the song and melodies to be sublime.
Sagan is a great song too, I like it more than Elan.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1596 on: February 13, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
Music vid for Elan is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

I'm sorry to say that but new song is boring as hell.  :(

I hope that the rest of the album will be better...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1597 on: February 13, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »
Whatever song I heard sounded way better than these two.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: February 13, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »
Whatever song I heard sounded way better than these two.

What two? and whats the 3rd song?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1599 on: February 13, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
I heard a song that wasn't Elan or Sagan, but did sound like Nightwish, and was labelled as Elan.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: February 13, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »
Yeah, well, I dunno, it's kind of on a predictable, safe and quite simple side, but I liked Elan rather a lot from my first spin. I'm not going to spin it more, but I think it worked well as a little taste of the whole album. Looking forward to my earbook.

However, I totally can agree with this:

Sounds like a song written for Anette - Floor isn't even in 2nd gear.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1601 on: February 13, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »
I saw some comments on the youtube link saying that this is standard NW single (Imaginarium was the first new NW since I was a fan) and that Eva was the first single with Annette?  If thats the case, this song is a huge upgrade for a new single with a new singer.  I think its simply just a really safe and poppy type of song that works really well for a single.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1602 on: February 13, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
Yes Eva was their first single with Anette.

As for this song, it is pleasant to listen to but not something I'll revisit as a standalone song. Safe but nice. Also, Floor is not even in second gear nor does she need to be. I like her vocals here.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: February 13, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »
That last chorus is fairly powerful from her and my favorite part of the song.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1604 on: February 13, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »
It's a safe song to introduce the 'new' singer to Nightwish fans.
Definately a grower that gets better with each listen.
That said, I'm sure it fits in well with the rest of the album.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1605 on: February 13, 2015, 03:37:53 PM »
I heard a song that wasn't Elan or Sagan, but did sound like Nightwish, and was labelled as Elan.
I heard the same song, and I agree about it being better.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: February 13, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »
I heard the same song, and I agree about it being better.

Well if Sagan and the unknown song are both considered better, than this album could be really good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: February 13, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
It's pleasant enough, but it's a waste of Floor's talent.

The main intro theme reminds me heavily of a very soft Amorphis.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1608 on: February 13, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
I love people complaining about the band not utilizing Floors vocals when no one's heard the whole album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: February 13, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
I love people complaining about the band not utilizing Floors vocals when no one's heard the whole album.

We're obviously talking about this song, not the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.