Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317924 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1540 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:52 AM »
New album earbooks are now available to preorder at the official Nightwish Mad Supply shop.

I was thinking of getting one, even though I really have no use for this vinyl disc, but 18€ shipping cost (total cost over 50€) is killing me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1541 on: January 12, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »
Pretty much the same with the NB store, shipping is a flat rate of 28 euro's.
If you want the exclusive items then you pay up or go without.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: January 16, 2015, 06:43:36 AM »
Pretty much the same with the NB store, shipping is a flat rate of 28 euro's.
If you want the exclusive items then you pay up or go without.

Yeah... I guess I'll order the earbook after all.

Tracks names have been revealed, by the way:

01. Shudder Before The Beautiful
02. Weak Fantasy
03. Élan
04. Yours Is An Empty Hope
05. Our Decades In the Sun
06. My Walden
07. Endless Forms Most Beautiful
08. Edema Ruh
09. Alpenglow
10. The Eyes Of Sharbat Gula
11. The Greatest Show On Earth

Offline Liampie

« Reply #1543 on: January 16, 2015, 07:06:05 AM »
Ugh... Some of those titles are terrible. Shudder Before The Beautiful makes me shudder, Weak Fantasy is weak, Yours is an Empty Hope makes me lose hope and The Greatest Show on Earth sounds like a disappointment already. Pretentious Tuomas at work...

Alpenglow, now that is actually a really cool intriguing title!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: January 16, 2015, 07:16:04 AM »
Ugh... Some of those titles are terrible. Shudder Before The Beautiful makes me shudder, Weak Fantasy is weak, Yours is an Empty Hope makes me lose hope and The Greatest Show on Earth sounds like a disappointment already. Pretentious Tuomas at work...

Alpenglow, now that is actually a really cool intriguing title!

I agree about Shudder and Weak Fantasy, but I somewhat like Yours is an Empty Hope, and I have confidence in the band that The Greatest Show on Earth may live up to the name and fit nicely in the concept.

I can't take Alpenglow seriously because all I can think of when I read it is Alpen Gold chocolate.  :rollin

Offline Liampie

« Reply #1545 on: January 16, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »
I can't take Alpenglow seriously because all I can think of when I read it is Alpen Gold chocolate.  :rollin

That makes it better to me! When it comes to chocolate, I'm like a woman on her period. Never enough chocolate for me. Candy of the gods.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1546 on: January 16, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »
I have not seen the trailers (no new music in it, right?), is this a concept album? Do we know something about the subjects of the songs as of yet?

I do like some of the titles. Alpenglow indeed sounds like something you buy in the supermarket during wintersports, though  :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1547 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »
Not sure how those titles are pretentious. I'm assuming Dawkins will be featured on The Greatest Show on Earth since it's the same name as his book.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: January 16, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »
I cant say I care for anything I have heard about this album so far in terms of title, art work, and track names.... but none of that matters to me anyway as long as the music is good and given NW's history, I expect the album to be good.  My opinion is they have not released a bad album yet.

I guess we will all hvae an idea on Feb 13th when the single is released.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1549 on: January 16, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
^^ My thoughts precisely.
Song titles for me are pretty much irrelevant, I listen to a few bands who sing in their native foreign language and I have no idea what the song titles are or mean.
As stated above as long as the songs are good, and Nightwish have never let me down yet.

Offline 425

« Reply #1550 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
I agree with cramx3, though I think the artwork is fairly good. Not as good as DPP or Imaginaerum, but fairly good. But yeah, I just have to expect this to be good because of Tuomas's and Nightwish's track record.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: January 17, 2015, 09:51:06 AM »
I should also add that Im not crazy about the likely spoken word on the album, and I haven't liked the use of it in the past, but I don't think it ruins any of the songs.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »
Well, discussing the track names is fun, and we don't have anything else from the new album to discuss anyway (except the artwork).

I've went ahead and ordered the earbook. Expensive, yes, but should be freaking awesome.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1553 on: January 17, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »
I'm hoping 1 of the songs passes the 15 minute mark at the very least.

The Greatest Show On Earth has a whole side to itself on the vinyl, so here's hoping!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1554 on: January 17, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
I'm hoping 1 of the songs passes the 15 minute mark at the very least.

The Greatest Show On Earth has a whole side to itself on the vinyl, so here's hoping!

I remember reading from here I think that there was to be a 24 minute song. I imagine that's it.

Offline 425

« Reply #1555 on: January 17, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »
I hope Tuomas can pull off writing a song that long, since the longest he's done (TPATP) isn't much more than half that length. I'd say it's somewhat unusual to have a songwriter attempt a 20+ minute song for the first time this late in his career.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1556 on: January 17, 2015, 05:55:48 PM »
Very excited about this album. I think the cover is cool and the title seems somehow fresh. Interested in Mr Dawkins involment on TGSOE seeing it's the title of his own book.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1557 on: January 18, 2015, 01:03:39 PM »
I hope Tuomas can pull off writing a song that long, since the longest he's done (TPATP) isn't much more than half that length. I'd say it's somewhat unusual to have a songwriter attempt a 20+ minute song for the first time this late in his career.

I remember reading that Song Of Myself and Imaginaerum were supposed to be on one track, which would've made it around 19 minutes. But they decided to separate them at last minute.

Glad they did, I don't think it would've flowed too well.

Offline 425

« Reply #1558 on: January 18, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
Yeah, Song of Myself is already verging on disjointed with the combination of the first two movements, Piano Black and the spoken word part. Adding in Imaginaerum would have been quite detrimental to it.

Plus, Imaginaerum is a reprise of a bunch of different themes from the album, so even if it had been part of a 19-minute track with SOM, I wouldn't really consider that an example of long-form songwriting.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: January 24, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
I'm pretty stoked right now!  Just got my tickets for the May 1st L.A. show.  In the last 25 years I've had 0 luck for SoCal shows getting decent tix through Ticketmaster.  I've pretty much resigned myself to purchasing through agencies for good seats.  I was told long ago that with Ticketmaster the key is to constantly keep checking back, that good seats would just appear out of nowhere.  I've tried this before with shows and had little luck.  With this show though, the agency prices were too high for me to get really good seats, about $350 for front row center.  My max has been about $250 for first 3 rows center. 

So for the last month and a half I've been watching closely on Ticketmaster and I've noticed the available seats getting better...and better.  A month ago they were about row 30 non center sections.  Last week they had row 7, 2 very last seats all the way to the left side of the stage.  Today I looked and found row 4, 3 seats just left of dead center stage.  To say the least, I pounced on them!  total for those  tix?  $205 for the pair TOTAL.  Looking at comparable seats on Stubhub.... $280-$390 EACH, Total of $600-800 for the pair, and Stubhub doesn't give the seat numbers...so you could be far over left or right.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1560 on: February 08, 2015, 04:47:21 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1561 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
I like Elan. It is not an all out song but is pleasant to listen to and very melodic as always. Not too fond of the chorus but it is not bad either. I figure it is a bit of a resting spot on the album, alltough by no means something I'd call a ballad.

Sorry Floor! I cannot possibly control my curiosity/hype when I see a link ;D (https://instagram.com/p/ywQvgeuGg9/). Not even sure if what I heard is the actual single and it was a "radio edit", but I liked it nontheless and they have my money and future views for official release for sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:01 AM »
So apparently the new single Elan got leaked which lead to NW posting a crazy all capital letter rant on Facebook which drove a lot of fans crazy. While leaking the song would upset a band, the reaction by the band was really unprofessional although not surprising

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:29 AM »
This is one of the most anticipated albums of the year for me, so I'm not listening to the single (leak or no leak) or any samples until I get an earbook in my hands. Don't want to spoil the experience.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1564 on: February 08, 2015, 09:00:58 AM »
Dear REAL fans: this Èlan version is NOT official and sounds unlike the real thing!!!!
Haven't heard it but was it fake or something or what does she mean by that?

Domenik Olzon
Annette Olzon

:biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:07:41 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1565 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
Dear REAL fans: this Èlan version is NOT official and sounds unlike the real thing!!!!

My theory: not the full version (radio edit) or final sound quality/missing some elements. I would be surprised if a completely different song leaked (if so, it could be a b-track to the single).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: February 08, 2015, 09:12:05 AM »
I think it was just a matter of quality. That's why I avoid listening to most leaks, actually.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1567 on: February 08, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
Pretty sure it's just a matter of it being a radio edit and of poor audio quality.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1568 on: February 08, 2015, 09:51:33 AM »
The single gets released next week so I can wait as well, don't see the point of trying to get the leak nor do I see the point of the band acknowledging it and going overboard in reactions. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1569 on: February 08, 2015, 09:57:39 AM »

My theory: not the full version (radio edit) or final sound quality/missing some elements. I would be surprised if a completely different song leaked (if so, it could be a b-track to the single).
Yea it's probably only bad quality or radio edit as you say.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1570 on: February 08, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »

Yea it's probably only bad quality or radio edit as you say.

It's both, actually. Sagan, a b-side for the Elan single, also leaked with it. Ironically enough the actual main attraction of the single, the full album version of Elan, didn't leak.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline adace

« Reply #1571 on: February 08, 2015, 04:04:23 PM »
Elan is great. Love the beautiful folky melodies and lyrics. And Floor sounds phenomenal on it. Can't wait to hear the album version.

Sagan on the other hand I'm not too crazy about. Just doesn't seem nearly as inspired as Elan.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1572 on: February 08, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »
Elan is great. Love the beautiful folky melodies and lyrics. And Floor sounds phenomenal on it. Can't wait to hear the album version.

Sagan on the other hand I'm not too crazy about. Just doesn't seem nearly as inspired as Elan.

It's good. A bit of a grower too, I think. First impressions were relatively 'meh,' but it grew on me with repeated listens. I quite like how the song builds up. The ending is terrific. :tup It all reminds me of a more folksy-sounding Nemo.

Sagan is fun, but the lyrics sound like they're probably really silly. Par for the course though with Tuomas. 
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline 425

« Reply #1573 on: February 08, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »
So apparently the new single Elan got leaked which lead to NW posting a crazy all capital letter rant on Facebook which drove a lot of fans crazy. While leaking the song would upset a band, the reaction by the band was really unprofessional although not surprising

Honestly, I'm sick of leaks at this point, and I'm just a fan. If I was in a band I would definitely post an all-caps rant on Facebook. So I completely understand it. To me, saying that they're unprofessional for reacting that way is akin to saying "Man, that store manager was really unprofessional when he yelled at the person who snuck into the back room and stole a bunch of stuff."
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: February 08, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »

Honestly, I'm sick of leaks at this point, and I'm just a fan. If I was in a band I would definitely post an all-caps rant on Facebook. So I completely understand it. To me, saying that they're unprofessional for reacting that way is akin to saying "Man, that store manager was really unprofessional when he yelled at the person who snuck into the back room and stole a bunch of stuff."

I disagree, and I am not saying they shouldn't be mad.  There is just no need to publicly rant about it like cry babies.  The statement they released after was perfect and the way it should have been handled in the first place.