Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318130 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1365 on: June 21, 2014, 03:51:32 PM »
I also think i read somewhere that they only play the song live when John Two Hawks plays with them

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1366 on: June 22, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
Well, I've had my first week of Nightwish sensory overload  :lol  To say it's a lot to absorb is a gross understatement.  So... me being the new guy to the party, here's my spin on the band, the albums/shows/videos I've listened too and seen, and the 3 very distinct vocalists. I've already seen how passionate fans of the band are, especially with regards to the vocalists, so please don't shoot me.  I'm just a week old fan of the group, and I'm sure my opinions will evolve over time.  This is strictly a virgin, first impression review.

Normally I wouldn't start with live material, but seeing that's how I "found" the band I decided to roll with it that way.  I picked up the Showtime, Storytime blue ray and ...WOW...  what a fantastic show.  The ONLY thing I'd say negative, like some mentioned is the excessive talking and seemingly nervousness of Floor while talking.  Other than that, one of the most enjoyable live performances I think I've seen.  I went back and also watched the Buenos Aires version of Ghost Love Score like Chad and Bosky suggested.  I think Bosky said it best....  when she hits THE note ..... well, if it doesn't emotionally rock you, you probably don't have a soul... :lol  I learned, it's really not a good idea to watch that song while at work with people walking by.

Of course from reading this thread, and tons of stuff this week about the band and it's history, it only seemed prudent that I watch "End of and Era", seeing I'm starting with the live material.   I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as Showtime.  Tarja for me is fantastic, and talented beyond description.  That being said,  sometimes her style is a bit over the top with the "Operatic" sound for my taste.  Now, I understand THAT aspect is probably what got a lot of folks into the band in the first place.  If I would have heard them back in '04 I probably would have been a little less captivated than I am with Floor's performance and capabilities to be completely honest.

As far as the band, obviously Tuomas is the soul and maestro. He is a very creative and talented musician, song writer, and composer.  Jukka is a solid drummer, Emppu a very good guitar player, not what I'd call spectaular... but I like his concise,  tasty solo's.  Marko is an incredible bassist.  As far as his vocals, I definitly like his earlier recorded stuff compared to the live stuff I saw on Showtime.  One of the duets with Annette on Imaginarium (not sure which one) was really good.  Troy and his pipes add a real interesting sound to the group.  I like the folk twist to some of the material, an interesting fusion for sure!

So for the last couple days I've taken a page from some of the "Roulette" peeps.  I've listened to the top 3 rated studio albums (by consensus that I've read)

Century Child
Once
Imaginarium

I've given them my full undivided attention for one complete uninterrupted listen each. Here's how they fall as of now...

1.  Imaginarium - Just a spectacular album.  Between the 3 albums, this is the most complete, mature, complex, and enjoyable album for me.    I like    Annette's vocals very much on this album, she seems to be a good fit for the material.  The only song that I'm not overly keen on is Scaretale.  Having not seen the Imaginarium movie, I'm guessing it's more of an actual soundtrack number?  Other than that one song...great songs.

2. Once - Excellent album.  Of course I recognize songs from the live performances on all 3 albums, but I really like

Dark Chest Of Wonders
Wish I Had An Angel
Nemo
Planet Hell
Ghost Love Score

3.  Century Child - I'd say this is a good, solid album with a couple outstanding songs. 

Mind you, with everyone having such varied tastes, maybe my favorite will be one of the masses least fav's!  Time will tell!  Anyways... so far it's a FUN ride that I'm really enjoying!  I also look forward to Floor's first studio album.  I think it's going to be fantastic!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:37:44 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1367 on: June 22, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »
Scaretale is probably my favorite track from Imaginaerum.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: June 22, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
Parts are good, but the middle section with Marko I think it was, kind of lost me. Like I said, it struck me as a soundtrack and I felt like I needed to see the show to appreciate it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1369 on: June 22, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
It's interesting seeing your take as you go on a 'reverse' evolution of the band (vocally speaking)... Floor to Annette to Tarja.  I can totally see Tarja's style being unimpressive and not to one's tastes if it's the appeal of Floor and/or Annette that first attract someone to the band.  Kinda like how I prefer Once and CC to the first three, since Tarja got a little more diverse.  Those that started right from the beginning might not prefer those two albums the way I did.

Anyway, good on ya for going through the catalog.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #1370 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
Glad to hear you've enjoyed it! I haven't seen the Imaginaerum movie myself, but Scaretale certainly sounds very soundtrack-esque. It is well-documented that Tuomas loves Disney movies and their soundtracks, so perhaps Scaretale will at least make more sense to you in the light of that influence? It certainly does for me. Nevertheless, I also regard it as the weakest song on the album and am not a huge fan of the middle part (but the instrumental parts are pretty awesome).

Of course there's no accounting for differences in taste, but I was not overly impressed by Century Child on first brush and now it's my favorite, so it was a grower for me, at least. Maybe it will be for you, too.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1371 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
Century Child was the first Nightwish album I ever listened to. I wouldn't say it's my favorite, but it definitely holds a special place in my heart.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1372 on: June 23, 2014, 03:33:44 AM »
Floor has btw stated on her facebookpage that she is moving to Finland over the coming week. Starting a new part of her career.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1373 on: June 24, 2014, 11:02:26 PM »
I'm a long time fan of Floor's voice (After Forever and ReVamp) and I have seen her live with NW, yet I am not thoroughly convinced that she is the right voice for NW.

After Tarja left, I didn't think anyone would be a suitable replacement. Anette entered the picture, and I completely gave up on the band. Even as much as I loved Floor, I wasn't sure how she would fit in the band when I heard she was filling in after Anette was canned. However, I'm completely sold now. Stylistically, she does everything I wanted Tarja to do, but didn't.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1374 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
I didn't like Nightwish that much when Tarja was the singer. Cared even less about her replacement. But wow! Floor Jansen just brought me back. After watching the Wacken Open Air concert on Youtube, I'm fully sold and converted. I just bought the blu-ray copy and I still cannot stop watching it. This hasn't happened since the first time I discovered Dream Theater...
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: June 28, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »
I didn't like Nightwish that much when Tarja was the singer. Cared even less about her replacement. But wow! Floor Jansen just brought me back. After watching the Wacken Open Air concert on Youtube, I'm fully sold and converted. I just bought the blu-ray copy and I still cannot stop watching it. This hasn't happened since the first time I discovered Dream Theater...

EGGZACTLY!!!!  :metal  I'm right there with ya!  I can't stop watching the Wacken blu ray.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1376 on: June 29, 2014, 03:50:35 AM »
According to a news article (in Finnish), Tuomas confirms that Floor is moving to a town in Eastern Finland called Joensuu. I was expecting her to move to Helsinki, but this way she'll live closer to the guys in the band, so it makes sense. Gotta appreciate her dedication! :tup Learning the language won't be easy, though :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1377 on: July 07, 2014, 05:42:34 AM »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1378 on: July 07, 2014, 05:47:14 AM »
What a tease... directly from the video description:

Album teaser trailer for For NIGHTWISH upcomig album.
Music is not from Nightwish's New Album.

This is just a stupid fanclub (in Georgia) blurb, linking to their own FB page.  NO NEW NEWS on nightwish.com about an album.   :angry:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: July 09, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
Well now its official and here is the official video (from Facebook):

https://youtu.be/BB1IrA8FwrY

New album in the making, first trailer online!
Sit back and fasten your fairytale seatbelts, as of today NIGHTWISH reveal a first glimpse into their new album. The yet-untitled creation will be the first NIGHTWISH studio-record to feature Dutch vocalist Floor Jansen. It’s set for a release in spring 2015 via Nuclear Blast.
Check out the first “Making of” trailer here: https://youtu.be/BB1IrA8FwrY
Enjoy the ride, as NIGHTWISH take you on a trip to where the magic happens: Settled right in the middle of the beautiful wintery landscape of Eno, Finland, band members and sound staff gather round the long table of “the Cabin” to discuss every aspect, relevant for the making of NIGHTWISH album #8. So far the bands’ mastermind, keyboardist and visionary composer Tuomas Holopainen and sound engineer Tero “TeeCee” Kinnunen recorded demo version of 12 songs.
Commented Tuomas Holopainen: “From the moment I start writing the song, I have the story in my head. I have a really clear vision how the songs should sound like at this point. Of course they will chance after band rehearsals and arranging. And they should change!”
More “Making of” episodes to come, so keep your eyes peeled to the Nuclear Blast YouTube channel!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: July 09, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »
Uh oh.

Might be the most anticipated album of 2015 for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1381 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
LoL at Emppu....  :tup

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1382 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Uh oh.

Might be the most anticipated album of 2015 for me.

It's definitely one of mine. I'm not entirely sure what all is coming out next year, but I am very eager to hear new material from Nightwish with Floor on vocals. I'm also really curious to see how Troy will be implemented into the new material as well.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: July 09, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »
Yea, I am really excited to see what they do.  For me, every nightwsih album has been good.  Some better than others, but I do enjoy everyone of their releases so I think they will release another good album, but how good is the question.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:30 AM »
https://youtu.be/lIhsFClj0U4

Newest video from their cabin.  Seems like they got 12 songs written and demoed already.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1385 on: July 30, 2014, 06:36:24 AM »
Tarja Turunen is one of the coaches on the next season of The Voice of Finland: https://www.iltasanomat.fi/voice-of-finland/art-1288719339981.html

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:38 AM »
Can't wait to hear Floor's first studio album with the band.  I've only ventured (bought) Imaginarum and Once so far.  Imaginarum rocks, Once is good, but I feel the vocals are low in the mix in a lot of spots.  Still feeling that out of the 3 singers, Floor rules the roost.  The studio version of GLS is just ....lacking, compared to the Floor live versions I've seen.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1387 on: July 30, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear Floor's first studio album with the band.  I've only ventured (bought) Imaginarum and Once so far.  Imaginarum rocks, Once is good, but I feel the vocals are low in the mix in a lot of spots.  Still feeling that out of the 3 singers, Floor rules the roost.  The studio version of GLS is just ....lacking, compared to the Floor live versions I've seen.

Yeah, likewise. I got into the band just before Floor joined and while I liked them, I personally didn't connect much with either Tarja or Anette. It really just came down to the quality of the songs. Once I heard Floor sing them though, it all clicked for me. She's got the vocal power to go operatic like Tarja, but she also sounds more emotionally invested in the songs too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1388 on: July 30, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
I'm a Floor fan for a long time, since the After Forever days and of ReVamp, have seen her in the flesh with NW and a few live video's.
Yet I am still not 100% convinced that she is the right fit for the band.
Though I really do hope that her first outing with NW blows me away.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
I enjoyed the Wacken Blu Ray with her so I am confident she is good for NW as she is clearly able to sing the material.  I am very curious to see how a new studio album will sound with her though, and lets not forget Troy as well who I would assume to be in every song now since he is a full band member.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: July 30, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
Interesting point about Troy, Marc.  I wonder what percentage of songs he'll be doing either his pipes or vocals?  In recent interviews I've heard Tuomas mention Troy's upcoming vocal contributions a few times, which makes me think it will be quite a bit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: July 30, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
Interesting point about Troy, Marc.  I wonder what percentage of songs he'll be doing either his pipes or vocals?  In recent interviews I've heard Tuomas mention Troy's upcoming vocal contributions a few times, which makes me think it will be quite a bit.

Well I know he does backing vocs a lot so maybe thats it? I never thought of him having his own vocal parts, but maybe although I love Marco's vocals and would hate to see his vocals lessened.  He also plays the tin whistle so he seems to offer a lot that we have no idea how itll turn out. 

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1392 on: August 02, 2014, 02:18:26 AM »

Well I know he does backing vocs a lot so maybe thats it? I never thought of him having his own vocal parts, but maybe although I love Marco's vocals and would hate to see his vocals lessened.  He also plays the tin whistle so he seems to offer a lot that we have no idea how itll turn out.

I always thought it was Troy who sang the "gar tuht river, ger te rheged" part of The Crow The Owl And The Dove, but I might be mistaken :huh:

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1393 on: August 06, 2014, 03:56:25 AM »

Well, damn. Jukka is stepping away from the band for the recording of the new album and tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7TJcuuYgQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1394 on: August 06, 2014, 04:28:07 AM »
Wow what a shock, but even bigger is his replacement, Kai Hahto, who is one of my fave drummers and an incredible player too.
Sad about Jukka, but very happy that Kai is filling in for him.

One of Kai's band's, Swallow The Sun, with a song featuring a former Nightwish singer (although Anette is not in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6W5ScOEv2c
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:45:17 AM by gazinwales »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: August 06, 2014, 05:56:09 AM »
From facebook

How to begin telling something that you wouldn’t want to have to tell, although you know that the decision you made is the only (at least the only right) one you could make at the moment? I face this dilemma now, and will do my best to find the right words.
For a number of years, I have suffered from occasional but very difficult insomnia, something that has been my unwanted companion during many of our tours, too. I’ve done my best to try to control it or at least to cope with it. Still, we don’t even really know why we need sleep, so unfortunately there’s not much information available on why some of us suffer from sleeplessness. There is no 100% cure for the problem.
During the last month, it has become evident for me that due to my insomnia, I can’t fulfill my duties as a musician in the way that I’d want and with the precision that the music deserves. Thus I have decided to step aside from my duties as the drummer of Nightwish during the recording of the forthcoming album and the subsequent tour. I will still be involved in managing the day-to-day affairs of the band, but the dearest and the most important thing, playing, is, for the time being, not possible. Time will tell what the future holds.
On a personal level, my decision obviously feels indescribably sad. Fortunately, looking at it with some distance, it is “just” part of the constant, inevitable ebb and flow of life. The sad things are part of it as well as the beautiful, unforgettable experiences and adventures that I’ve already had the pleasure to experience in spades. Surely, there will still be many adventures ahead, too.
My good friend Kai Hahto will play drums on the forthcoming album. I’m extremely grateful that he didn’t hesitate for a minute when he decided to help us in this challenging situation. What comes to touring, everything is still open, but we will let you know as soon possible what the line-up will be.
If beginning this was hard, so is ending it. So maybe I will just quote something fitting.
“You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot losesomething that you are.”― Eckhart Tolle
Best regards, Jukka Nevalainen / Nightwish

Pretty shocking and upsetting.  Wouldnt want to see any sort of illness or physical problems result in anyone not being able to do their job.  Hopefully he is able t get some sleep.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1396 on: August 06, 2014, 07:33:59 AM »
Wow that's a shocker! Sad to hear about his condition. Have to say, they couldn't have asked a better session drummer than Kai, he's beast!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1397 on: August 06, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
Oh, wow.  Sad news.  I hope he is able to get this under control.  Band or no band, that has got to be a nightmare to deal with.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1398 on: August 06, 2014, 09:28:38 AM »
Given the news, I am on a bit of a Nightwish listening binge at the moment.  I just want to say:  I have always kind of dug Amaranth, but Floor takes it to another level.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: August 06, 2014, 10:54:29 AM »
Well....fuck.....  So I just discover and love this band, and they lose a member.  Watching the 2 DVD's, I really love Jukka's energy and style.  Hopefully, like some of you guys say, the gentleman filling in is top notch.  I really hope Jukka can get the help he needs and beat this beast.