Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318309 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1295 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
Tuomas increasingly strikes me as the type of guy who pretends to be tortured and deep for the sole purpose of impressing naive teenage girls.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1296 on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »
I get the impression that he actually thinks he is tortured and deep.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1297 on: January 31, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »
Yeah yeah, Tuomas is pretty crazy and all that, but I love that song, regardless of the crazy concept.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1298 on: January 31, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
Yeah I like the song as well. The concept of writing about Scrooge McDuck's a weird one, but if it's done well it shouldn't matter. Speaking of Tuomas, I found this picture allegedly from the first show with Floor. I'm not sure if anyone shared this here yet but in the context with the rest of the band, his is pretty hilarious IMO.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1299 on: February 05, 2014, 06:34:23 AM »
He was scared shitless during those first gigs with Floor. He even confesses so in the documentary on the last dvd....I love him as a composer though...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1300 on: February 05, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »
He was scared shitless during those first gigs with Floor. He even confesses so in the documentary on the last dvd....

???  Why?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1301 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »
Yeah I like the song as well. The concept of writing about Scrooge McDuck's a weird one, but if it's done well it shouldn't matter. Speaking of Tuomas, I found this picture allegedly from the first show with Floor. I'm not sure if anyone shared this here yet but in the context with the rest of the band, his is pretty hilarious IMO.

???  What is hilarious about it?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1302 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Yeah, I don't get it. ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1303 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:33 AM »
The only one not smiling/laughin?  :-\
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1304 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »
Okay, there used to be a page on Tumblr called "Tuomas Holopainen Is A Diva" and this was around the time Anette left and someone captioned that picture above with something funny and unfortunately I don't remember exactly what it said cause the page was taken down due to butthurt but I remembered I thought it was funny as f**k but alas no one's laughing here so forget I even brought it up in the first place.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1305 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
The only one not smiling/laughin?  :-\
Isn't that always the case though? He doesn't look particularly grumpy there or anything.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1306 on: February 05, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
Okay, there used to be a page on Tumblr called "Tuomas Holopainen Is A Diva" and this was around the time Anette left and someone captioned that picture above with something funny and unfortunately I don't remember exactly what it said cause the page was taken down due to butthurt but I remembered I thought it was funny as f**k but alas no one's laughing here so forget I even brought it up in the first place.

holy run-on sentence

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1307 on: February 05, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »

Okay...but the reason we aren't laughing is because we don't see anything funny or "hilarious" about that pic.  To me, it looks like as standard a "band at the end of a show" pic as you can get.  What are we supposedly missing?  ???

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: February 05, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
He was scared shitless during those first gigs with Floor. He even confesses so in the documentary on the last dvd....I love him as a composer though...

I was at the first show, and everyone looked pretty darn comfortable and happy to me. So if they were nervous, they hid it well. The guys and Floor shared a "d'oh!" smile with each other when she came in to a song too early. First time I had seen them live, but if you didn't know better, you never would have guessed it was the lead singer's first show with the band.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1309 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
Official video for 'A lifetime of adventure' featuring Don Rosa himself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwSVOo5K_k&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1310 on: February 05, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »

Okay...but the reason we aren't laughing is because we don't see anything funny or "hilarious" about that pic.  To me, it looks like as standard a "band at the end of a show" pic as you can get.  What are we supposedly missing?  ???
To be honest, maybe it was just only me who found something funny in there. I thought it was funny cause I thought Tuomas looked like he was on the verge of having an emotional breakdown after being traumatized by sacking Anette (hence why that page where I first saw it, posted the picture in the first place). But now that someone said that he was really scared during the first few shows with Floor (I don't have the Showtime, Storytime DVD so I don't know how they really felt), I don't really find what I thought was funny really funny anymore. Anyways, just me being a bit stupid, so carry on.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1311 on: February 06, 2014, 05:47:25 AM »
Dude, lighten up. Off course it's funny. He said he was really scared about if the shows would go alright with such a short term replacement, if Floor would hold up (which she did), if the band would deliver,  but especially, would the audiences accept Floor  as the replacement? (which they did, immediately). But I can understand his fears, it´s a multi-million organisation, if that tour would have gone ass-up, he would´ve been responsible (not entirely, but I can understand he feels that way). After about five shows in, he said he relaxed and realised it would all work out fine. And so it did....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1312 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »

Offline adace

« Reply #1313 on: March 10, 2014, 02:58:09 PM »

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1314 on: April 02, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »
So anyone listen to Anette's solo album yet? It's pretty good, but feels unfinished, like Queensryche's new album. Nice and mellow. Unfortunately she still thinks she's in Nightwish as several of the songs have lyrics about wishes and stuff.

Album's pretty good. Could have used some fleshing out though. 7/10

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: April 03, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »
I havent given the album any listens, but I checked out the single on youtube when it was released and I wasnt crazy about it.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1316 on: April 07, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
Listened to Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum again tonight. I think Imaginaerum really should soundly beat DPP, but the last bit of Song Of Myself just kills it, especially when it has to be compared to the greatness of The Poet And The Pendulum.
I was absolutely loving Imaginaerum first time I listened to it, and I hit Song of Myself and sort of went, "...oh." Really, really poor - the poetry is terrible, incredibly cringey, and it never stops.

I think I might have only listened to it the once - when I ripped the album to my computer, I stopped with Last Ride of the Day. It's even an appropriate name for an ending track. But it's just occurred to me, there's an instrumental disc! I can edit out the amateur poetry! So I've ripped Song of Myself onto my computer - the vocal and instrumental versions - and that's my project for tonight. Excellent.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1317 on: April 07, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
I actually enjoy the poetry part. And love the song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: April 07, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
I actually enjoy the poetry part. And love the song.

I cant listen to it. Album ends once the song ends for me.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1319 on: April 07, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »
Actually the only version I can listen to is The live version with Floor, she makes the Imaginarium songs more lively
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: April 07, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »
Actually the only version I can listen to is The live version with Floor, she makes the Imaginarium songs more lively

I was thinking that the other day - I played the original Imaginaerum for the first time in ages (after having Showtime , Storytime on rotation for a while) and in comparison it sounded like a cover by the Chipmunks.  Floor's power really took those songs up a notch.  I believe they've said they won't do it but I'd love to see a best of disc of re-records as a bonus with the next album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1321 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »

I was thinking that the other day - I played the original Imaginaerum for the first time in ages (after having Showtime , Storytime on rotation for a while) and in comparison it sounded like a cover by the Chipmunks.  Floor's power really took those songs up a notch.  I believe they've said they won't do it but I'd love to see a best of disc of re-records as a bonus with the next album.

They'd only need to re-record from two albums though!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #1322 on: April 07, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I can get along with the Song of Myself poetry part well enough. Some of the poetry is not very good, but some of it is. The first part, with all the guilt-tripping and stuff ("...I see a starving dog in a pungent alley..."), is not very good imo. I really like the middle section for the most part, with the "Beyond all mortality we are" and stuff, though I think "While violated and imprisoned by technology" is gratuitous and personally disagreeable to me. The rest of it is hit and miss, with some good stuff and some bad stuff, with nothing exceptionally great or awful, except that I love the last line. Personally, I think the backing music is good enough to redeem the bad parts, and the first half of the song is utterlybrilliant, so...

Maybe someday I'll be bothered to make an edit keeping only the parts I think are good, but for the time being the particular words don't actually bother me enough.

And I'll go so far as to say that Song of Myself is the best song on Imaginaerum and the best song of the Anette era. And that Imaginaerum is right alongside Century Child as Nightwish's best album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1323 on: April 07, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »

They'd only need to re-record from two albums though!

If she didn't already, Annette would certainly get her tattoo removed after they did that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: April 07, 2014, 09:46:59 PM »
While I loved Floor's performance on the DVD, I thought her weakest were the songs from Imaginaerium, specifically Storytime and Ghost River.  I prefer Annette on those.

Offline 425

« Reply #1325 on: April 08, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
I think on the Imaginaerum tracks it tends to be a toss-up for me as to whether I prefer Floor or Anette. I think it's because the songs were written for Anette but Floor is on the whole a stronger singer, so that makes it close. I would say that on Storytime I definitely prefer Anette and on Song of Myself I definitely prefer Floor, but on the others it's close, though I lean toward Anette on Ghost River and I Want My Tears Back and Floor on Last Ride of the Day.

Meanwhile for the only Dark Passion Play track on there, Amaranth, I definitely prefer Anette. Floor just doesn't quite capture that chorus the way Anette does.

But in any case, love them both. Actually, my main complaint on the sound of the live album is that the orchestral/choral parts are way too quiet. I get that it's a live album and that they want the main focus to be on the band instead of piped in samples, but it's simply the case that on the Once albums forward, those parts are so essential to the compositions that it doesn't sound quite right when they're pushed back. For that reason, I tend to reach for the studio versions even for songs I would prefer to hear with Floor. The songs simply don't sound quite right on the live versions.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1326 on: April 09, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
Meanwhile for the only Dark Passion Play track on there, Amaranth, I definitely prefer Anette. Floor just doesn't quite capture that chorus the way Anette does.

To be fair, in a live setting, I don't think Anette quite captures it either.

Offline 425

« Reply #1327 on: April 10, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
That's true, and I don't mean a slight to Floor (I love her) by saying it. I mean that I prefer Anette's studio performance to Floor's live performance, while acknowledging of course that it's not a level playing field for any accurate comparison between the singers.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1328 on: April 10, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »
Anette just wasn't a very good live singer, IMO.  She was fine for studio work where she could take her time to do multiple takes, and they could layer her, etc.  I thought she was okay on DPP.  Since Imaginaerum was written for her voice, I think she sounded great on that one.  But live, she was lacking. 

Floor has both the voice and the showmanship to really enhance the live show.  No, she is not perfect in a live setting.  But kind like Dickinson, she just rocks and goes for it, and she has such a powerful voice that it's a great show even if the vocals are not flawless.  And in studio, I expect to be blown away next album.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:08:44 AM by bosk1 »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1329 on: April 12, 2014, 01:01:52 AM »
So, anybody listening to the Scroodge Mcduck thing? I think it is pretty good. It has some very beautiful moments and you can clearly hear some Nightwish here and there. I you like soundtracks and/or Nightwish (and maybe enjoyed the Don Rosa comics) this is definitely worth checking out. Would've like some more Tony Kakko on the album though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:07:58 AM by ErHaO »