Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318374 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1260 on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
I felt that Anette was not a great choice for the band, but I agree that she sounds more comfortable on the second album.  Right after DPP came out, my reaction was along the lines of, "She's not bad, but I really want to hear the next album so that I can hear her on songs that are written with her voice in mind."  The vocals are good on DPP, but a problem with them is that they were all written before she joined the band, so the parts were not written with her voice in mind.  She still did a really good job in studio, but Imaginaerum is more tailored to play to her strengths.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1261 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:54 PM »
I still insist that, with literally thousands of demos they've been sent back then, they probably had far better choices than her. She's a decent singer, but with literally every female singer that's into metal simultaneously being into Nightwish back then - that's a huge pool of names both known and unknown. I really don't get what was so special about her.

Still, if they wanted to fire her, they should have fired her right as she was showing signs of severe difficulties on tour. Firing her in the middle of her pregnancy is a pretty crappy move, and I don't care what she said to them or on her blog that might've provoked them to completely cut the ties as opposed to just hiring a substitute as they allegedly agreed. It's a matter of their word against hers, and even though they count the fans are on their side because 99% of fans prefers Floor to Anette, this is still the band that fired Tarja in a really fucking nasty way for basically trusting and valuing her manager husband over the four of them goofs and not wanting to have the same tour lifestyle with them as she did when she was 20. What a shocker that a grown woman that takes care of her mind and body and voice should do that.

Officially apologizing for calling pregnancy bad luck, but it's a shitload of bad luck she was pregnant during tour though... she could have had like three more children in the long yawny periods while Nightwish wasn't doing anything, but she got pregnant as soon as they went out on tour  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1262 on: January 29, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
They may have had demos from more technically impressive female singers, but honestly, in a world stuffed to the brim with operatic vocalists, I really liked her more straight forward approach, because I honestly never cared for them when Tarja was in the band.

Floor will be good, I think, because she can do the operatic stuff, but she's got some grit to her voice as well. Actually, they really should have gotten Ida from Triosphere. That would have been amazing (though she's probably better suited where she is).

The firing of Anette almost soured me on the band. Basically where I am now is, I think Tuomas is a bit of an egocentric jerk, but I still like his music, so whatever. :P 

Also, Marco's awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1263 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »
Ida's voice would have been totally unsuited to Nightwish.  I love her voice (maybe even as much as Floor these days), but that's not the right sound for Nightwish.  Simone could've been it, but Epica's a big act too, so I doubt she even would've wanted to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1264 on: January 29, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
Yeah, she wouldn't be well-suited, I was just thinking of female singers who are more "metal" and she was the first one that came to mind.

I should see if Triosphere have a new album out....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: January 29, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »
Maybe I am mis or un-informed, but I was not aware Annette was pregnant when she was fired. 

I do agree that Toumas does come off as kind of a jerk with the way both singers were fired.

I still love Nightwish, because at the end of the day, the music fuckin slays!  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1266 on: January 29, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
I do agree that Toumas does come off as kind of a jerk with the way both singers were fired.

He does, indeed.  But have you listened to Showtime, Storytime?  Marco's introductory comments before Romanticide may be the most inappropriate comments ever made by a band member onstage.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: January 29, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »

He does, indeed.  But have you listened to Showtime, Storytime?  Marco's introductory comments before Romanticide may be the most inappropriate comments ever made by a band member onstage.

haha.  Yes, I know what you are talking about.  He does admit it is in bad taste.  I specifically showed that to a friend just to hear him say "I love sausages!" That cracks me up everytime.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1268 on: January 29, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
Maybe I am mis or un-informed, but I was not aware Annette was pregnant when she was fired. 

Annette never revealed her pregnancy until AFTER she left the band. In fact, I believe she first revealed her pregnancy in her blog in January last year, three months after she left.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: January 30, 2014, 03:09:55 AM »
Yeah, but she told the band before they kicked her out. I don't remember whether it was days or weeks, but they knew.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: January 30, 2014, 05:28:43 AM »
Was that the reason she 2ent to the hospital and missed the show?

From the documentary on the DVD, they didn't talk at all about the reasons she was fired other than saying things were building up to the point where they had to make that decision.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: January 30, 2014, 06:35:58 AM »
Well even if her health problems weren't caused by the pregnancy itself (I can't remember exactly what it was so I don't wanna guess), they were probably amplified by it, or the situation required extra care. Which is why I'm even more baffled by the situation and the fact that most Nightwish fans rolled with it, even encouraged it ("atta boys she was dragging you down"); she was in a hospital like a few weeks before, she had two children and another one on the way, that's like the worst possible time you can tell someone they're out of the band and that's simply inexcusable, even if she demanded they cancelled shows she couldn't attend, they easily could have reasoned with her. In their counter-statement, they said that "this "one woman vs. the Neanderthals" setting is an easy to way to take advantage of our media history", but they DO have that media history that speaks to her favor, and it's easy to come off as Neanderthals when you're ending your official statements with this:

"Doing the laundry is tiring. Remember the help your ladies with that occasionally." completely unbelievable :facepalm:

for those who don't know what I'm talking about, read:
https://www.nightwishforum.com/index.php?/topic/3305-anette-olzon/page-6#entry206687
https://www.nightwishforum.com/index.php?/topic/3305-anette-olzon/page-5#entry206672

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:30 AM »
That IS shocking.

What are you doing at another band's forum!?!?!?  :neverusethis:

Frankly, I have no time for Tuomas' antics, and never have since the way he/they fired Tarja, then made a public display of it.  I'm not a Tarja fanboi by any stretch, and it was clear they both needed to break from each other.  But the way that Tuomas/the band did it was classless.  When I watch End of an Era, you can see on more than one occasions the look on his face is "this will all be over for you soon".

It's a good thing he can write damn good music.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1273 on: January 30, 2014, 06:55:09 AM »
^That about sums it up for me as well.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1274 on: January 30, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
Well I've been listening almost non stop to Nightwish's back catalogue since Showtime, Storytime came out and Fuck do I LOVE Dark Passion Play! Poet and the Pendulum must be the greatest song ever written in the genre. Not at all a big fan of Annette's voice, but on that album she definitely kills it. Also, I love Slow Love Slow on Imaginaerium, really suits her voice.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1275 on: January 30, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
Poet and the Pendulum must be the greatest song ever written in the genre. 

Wow.  Well, I guess all I can say is, "opinions differ."  I still consider it the worst thing they have ever written, by a HUGE margin.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1276 on: January 30, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
:bosk1:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1277 on: January 30, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »

Wow.  Well, I guess all I can say is, "opinions differ."  I still consider it the worst thing they have ever written, by a HUGE margin.

I'm not familiar enough with their back catalogue, but out of the albums I'm familiar with (Century Child, Once, DPP, Imaginaerum, I also own their debut, but haven't listened to it a lot), I think DPP is by far the weakest, and The Poet And The Pendulum is one of my least favourites.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: January 30, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »

Wow.  Well, I guess all I can say is, "opinions differ."

Without a doubt.  I don't have a problem with PatP, but have it programmed to end at the 10 minute mark.  Can't stand the outro.  DPP as a whole is mediocre when compared with their other works.

Century Child is the best them

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:24 AM »

Agreed. And I found early on that I liked DPP MUCH better if I just skipped that fragmented monstrosity of a song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1280 on: January 30, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »
I will never understand the haters for Poet & The Pendulum. Definitely my 2nd favorite song by them.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1281 on: January 30, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
\o

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1282 on: January 30, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: January 30, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »
The first half of PatP is amazing and the second half is terrible making it a mediocre song for me.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1284 on: January 30, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »
The only part I don't really care for is the calm section after the second chorus with the high-pitched little boy on vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: January 30, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
The only part I don't really care for is the calm section after the second chorus with the high-pitched little boy on vocals.

Yea that part is pretty bad and makes no sense to me, but I also really dislike Marco's vocals in this song too.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1286 on: January 30, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »
SECOND ROBBER TO THE RIGHT OF CHRIST
CUT IN HALF, INFANTICIDE

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1287 on: January 31, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »
So has anyone else heard the absolutely amazing A Lifetime of Adventure from Tuomas' upcoming solo album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDX0TZ3Kca4
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: January 31, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »
So has anyone else heard the absolutely amazing A Lifetime of Adventure from Tuomas' upcoming solo album?

I wanted to give a listen but didn't realize it was publicly available yet. It'll have to wait till I get home from work.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »

A concept album about Scrooge? Sorry dude, but unless you're Trans-Siberian Orchestra, that's pretty lolworthy.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1290 on: January 31, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »

A concept album about Scrooge? Sorry dude, but unless you're Trans-Siberian Orchestra, that's pretty lolworthy.
It's fairly lol-worthy even with TSO.

Besides, the fact that it's about Scrooge McDuck would surely suggest that it is not meant to be super serious.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1291 on: January 31, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
That might be the silliest concept album premise ever, but that song was pretty good.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
Maybe by writing about Scrooge Tuomus is actually writing about himself?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: January 31, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »

Besides, the fact that it's about Scrooge McDuck would surely suggest that it is not meant to be super serious.
The fact that Tuomas is writing it surely suggests he is 100% serious. We are talking about a man who wrote an "opus about his life" containing the following verse:

"Today, in the year of our Lord, 2005
Tuomas was called from the cares of the world
He stopped crying at the end of each beautiful day.
The music he wrote had too long been without silence.
He was found naked and dead,
With a smile in his face, a pen and 1000 pages of erased text."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1294 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »
The woman singing on that song (Johanna Kurkela) is a pretty popular artist in Finland and she's reported to be Tuomas' girlfriend.