Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317952 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1225 on: November 19, 2013, 08:49:17 AM »
The crowd atmosphere definitely is.  Keeping both in my YT favorites for sure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1226 on: November 23, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
Beauty Of The Beast :hearts:

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1227 on: November 25, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
My copy of Storytime is on its way....

Also, I'm interested to hear her sing Ever Dream.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1228 on: November 27, 2013, 04:20:44 AM »
Hello girls and guys, i did an interview with Marco recently, you can read it here https://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/Nightwish-interview-Marco-Hietala/18197/ if you are interested!

Thanks!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1229 on: November 29, 2013, 05:35:06 AM »
I just got Showtime Storytime in the mail :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: November 29, 2013, 06:04:01 AM »
Still waiting for mine - really looking forward to finally having a pro shot full show on DVD with my favourite metal diva  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1231 on: November 30, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Wow, this new DVD is really awesome! Nice that the CD version is included too. Floor absolutely nails it and takes NW to another level imo.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1232 on: December 06, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
Just received it. Its pretty nice package.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1233 on: December 07, 2013, 03:05:24 AM »
I decided to buy Imaginaerum since I enjoyed the Imaginaerum songs on Showtime Storytime a lot. I'm currently listeing to it for the fourth time (I think), and it's surprisingly great. I actually expected it to be DPP #2, and DPP is easily the weakest Nightwish album I've heard so far IMO, but Imaginaerum is so much better in my opinion :tup
It has already surpassed Century Child as my second favourite behind Once :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: December 07, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
Not sure why you expected that. Imaginarium seemed to be pretty well received. Glad you finally joined the fun!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1235 on: December 16, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
Picked up Showtime, Storytime over the weekend.  Overall verdict:  It is a good live release, but overall, I am a little disappointed.  The performance is decent, but not great.  And some of the between song banter is so embarassing at times that it actually detracts from the show, IMO.  Case in point:  Marco's introduction to Romanticide.  Holy inappropriate, Batman!  :lolpalm:  But still, this set is worth it for Ghost Love Score alone.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1236 on: December 16, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »
Yeah, the banter is indeed embarrassing, but the performances ARE great.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: December 16, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »
I watched it for the first time the other night and enjoyed it - great that they included the (better) Argentina footage too.

I came to this as a Floor fan more than a Nightwish fan (Tarja never did it for me) and was suitably impressed - she is perfect for the band and I sat through (almost) the whole gig without skipping a thing.    if I was to be picky I was a bit over the same driving guitar sound in so many songs - I think the guitarist is the weak link in the band and a more imaginative and better second guitarist would really top them off.

I see massive potential for an amazing album out of these guys with Floor at the helm and really glad for her that she might be about to get the sort of props she deserves.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1238 on: December 16, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
I don't think lack of imagination should necessarily be laid at Emppu's feet.  From everything I've seen, he's a solid player.  But Tumoas writes the vast majority of the music, and he views the guitar as a supporting instrument rather than a lead instrument in Nightwish's music, so it is what it is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: December 16, 2013, 09:18:24 AM »
I don't think lack of imagination should necessarily be laid at Emppu's feet.  From everything I've seen, he's a solid player.  But Tumoas writes the vast majority of the music, and he views the guitar as a supporting instrument rather than a lead instrument in Nightwish's music, so it is what it is.

Fair enough - I saw enough of him to know he's just what you said - solid and not much more.  Don't get me wrong though - I was really impressed with the DVD .  Having said that it didn't sound so flash on the CD without the visual aspect.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
Emppu has always been a sore spot for me. I don't really mind his playing, but his tone really sounds very aluminum to me.

Anyway check out Tarja's album from this year? I don't love it, but it's pretty good. The songs are pretty fresh sounding, even if solo Tarja is a little bit more Tarja than I can handle.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:48:36 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1241 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
Anyway check out Tarja's album from this year? I don't love it, but it's pretty good. The songs are pretty fresh sounding, even if solo Tarja is a little bit more Tarja than I can handle.

Exactly.  Spotify'd the album, but it didn't do much for me.

I too watched the show on the weekend.  Really enjoyed it.  Not sure where I'd rank it vs End of an Era.  My problem with EoaE is that (knowing what we know now), I'm tainted by the fact the four of them knew they were going to torpedo Tarja the moment they stepped off the stage.  Overall, Floor's voice is perfect - can hit the operatic elements like Tarja, but can demonstrate more power and aggressive emotion than either Tarja or Annette could hope to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1242 on: December 16, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
Romanticide kicks so much ass, my jaw was on the floor at the end.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
I got my copy this past weekend and watched. I thought the performance was pretty average. I thought the songs were all a bit slower paced. Maybe for floor. Floor was fantastic. The camera angles weren't the greatest. The set list had so many repeats from their last DVD which is OK cause its a new singer, but I wish there could have been more songs that haven't been on a live release already.

I started watching the documentary and its really good. They have a ton of footage from the tour on there and it sucks they show no Annette by her request. There's tons of live footage from before she left which makes me think they probably were planning a live release with her from the tour. They also don't go into too much detail about the break but say there had been many issues going into the tour and it seems like whatever disease she had and the fact they played without her did not seem to be the issue since. It would have been nice if she allowed them to use her in the video.

Overall, the entire package of concert video, audio , and documentary makes it really good overall.

Out of the three Blu ray concerts I got this month( DT and Epic a) I would say this is the worst of the three but still pretty good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1244 on: December 16, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
Out of the three Blu ray concerts I got this month( DT and Epic a) I would say this is the worst of the three but still pretty good.

Same here.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1245 on: December 16, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »
This is my 3rd best of the year.

The documentary is really excellent, and this tour deserved to be. It has great insight into all the happenings on the tour and gives me an idea of how it works behind the scenes, I'm glad they did the alternative instead of cancelling. Also,  Tuomas is tired pf Wishmaster, so don't think we'll hear that song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: December 16, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
This is my 3rd best of the year.

The documentary is really excellent, and this tour deserved to be. It has great insight into all the happenings on the tour and gives me an idea of how it works behind the scenes, I'm glad they did the alternative instead of cancelling. Also,  Tuomas is tired pf Wishmaster, so don't think we'll hear that song.

Yea I was upset when he said it because I enjoy that song bit they did play it with Floor so maybe its not done forever.

Also definitely agree that I am glad they didn't cancel the tour, not sure where the band would be now if they cancelled.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1247 on: December 16, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »

I am loving the new DVD, myself. It only confirms my belief that Floor is what they've needed all along, and I say that as a big fan of the Tarja era.
Floor is simply a total package and brings a little something extra that neither Tarja or Anette brought.

However, I think they need to take advantage of what they have now, and perhaps stray just a bit from the formula they've relied on in the last ten years.
I think if they continue with the grandiose orchestral approach (strings, tinkling piano/music box riffs in D minor, chugging guitar, gothic choral chants, etc.) they just might
become the AC/DC of their genre.

It would be nice to hear Emppu stand out a bit more in the equation. I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for. I think he has shown a fairly good sense of melody in his soloing. Rhythmically, I would just like to hear him do more than chugging power chords. I think there's a good chance he's capable, but it's likely a matter of him being given the freedom to explore.

Offline adace

« Reply #1248 on: December 17, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »
New Anette Olzon song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQI0zaRdA5A

She still sounds great. Looking forward to her album.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1249 on: December 17, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »
That's actually a very nice song. Even in their last album with her I didn't feel like NW wrote music for her voice/style.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1250 on: January 24, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »
Listened to Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum again tonight. I think Imaginaerum really should soundly beat DPP, but the last bit of Song Of Myself just kills it, especially when it has to be compared to the greatness of The Poet And The Pendulum.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1251 on: January 24, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »
What? That completes the album and the entire concept.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1252 on: January 24, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
I don't like it. Spoken word can be good (see Tom Waits, or Ulver's Stone Angels), but this is just painful to listen to. I change tracks around 6 minutes or so.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1253 on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
I don't like it. Spoken word can be good (see Tom Waits, or Ulver's Stone Angels), but this is just painful to listen to. I change tracks around 6 minutes or so.
Ditto except scratch out Stone Angels. I don't care for that one either.  :lol

I doesn't help that Song of Myself goes on and on and on.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1254 on: January 24, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
For some reason I love Stone Angels. It's very relaxing, I usually put it on if I'm doing homework or something like that. Or just when I want to listen to it. :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: January 25, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »
I don't care for the spoken word either but being that it's the end, it really doesn't bother me at all and has no impact on my opinions of the music on the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1256 on: January 29, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
Listened to Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum again tonight. I think Imaginaerum really should soundly beat DPP, but the last bit of Song Of Myself just kills it, especially when it has to be compared to the greatness of The Poet And The Pendulum.

IMO, Imaginaerum completely slays DPP.  The only songs I much care for from DPP are The Cadence of Her Last Breath, Amaranthe, Sahara, The Islander, and 7 Days To The Wolves, and truth be told, I wouldn't be heartbroken if I never heard those tunes again.  The rest of the album is VERY forgettable to me--especially Tuomas' "woe is me, for I am Tuomas" and "Tarja, I hate you because I love you so much" suite (the just awful TPATP, Bye Bye Beautiful, and Master Passion Greed).

The only song I actively dislike on Imaginaerum is Song of Myself.  From Storytime through Arabesque, it is a VERY strong album.  The next three songs aren't bad at all.  And then Last Ride of the Day really brings the energy back up.  I generally like to just pretent that that is the final song.  Concept aside, the album is musically a lot stronger that way without Song of Myself dragging it down.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1257 on: January 29, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
I listened to the live show version of Ghost Love Score and I think it's different from the video they first released. Am I imagining things or is this actually the case?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1258 on: January 29, 2014, 01:26:20 PM »

IMO, Imaginaerum completely slays DPP.  The only songs I much care for from DPP are The Cadence of Her Last Breath, Amaranthe, Sahara, The Islander, and 7 Days To The Wolves, and truth be told, I wouldn't be heartbroken if I never heard those tunes again.  The rest of the album is VERY forgettable to me--especially Tuomas' "woe is me, for I am Tuomas" and "Tarja, I hate you because I love you so much" suite (the just awful TPATP, Bye Bye Beautiful, and Master Passion Greed).

The only song I actively dislike on Imaginaerum is Song of Myself.  From Storytime through Arabesque, it is a VERY strong album.  The next three songs aren't bad at all.  And then Last Ride of the Day really brings the energy back up.  I generally like to just pretent that that is the final song.  Concept aside, the album is musically a lot stronger that way without Song of Myself dragging it down.

Eh, I'm not really a lyrics guy, and I'm pretty used to Tuomas's outlook by now. :lol

Interestingly, two of the three you mentioned are among my favorites from the record (The Poet And The Pendulum and Master Passion Greed).

Even with Song Of Myself dragging it down. though, Imaginaerum is still really close. I think Anette sounds more comfortable on the songs, plus it's fairly diverse (Slow, Love Slow and Scaretale). Overall, though, Dark Passion Play still takes it for me.

Also, despite some initial negative feelings as a result of the nature of Anette's departure (I really liked Anette :sad:), I'm really looking forward to what the band can do with Floor.

This post is kind of disjointed, but whatevs, I don't even care. :p

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: January 29, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
I listened to the live show version of Ghost Love Score and I think it's different from the video they first released. Am I imagining things or is this actually the case?

The DVD has two different videos of GLS, one from the main concert and a bonus video from Buenos Aires