Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318141 times)

Offline adace

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1190 on: October 21, 2013, 04:14:53 AM »
Tarja and Floor duetting "Over the Hills." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAnVFJFmFx8

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1191 on: October 21, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »
The original and best version of this great song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkL7niHy1-4

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1192 on: October 21, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »
Not sure who that poseur is or why he thinks he can get away with playing Nightwish's song without crediting them, but I will say he's a decent guitar player.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1193 on: October 21, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1194 on: October 21, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
Not sure who that poseur is or why he thinks he can get away with playing Nightwish's song without crediting them, but I will say he's a decent guitar player.

British?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1195 on: October 21, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
I'm just gonna hope Bosk is being sarcastic.

Rather than insulting one of the guys on my guitar Mount Rushmore.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1196 on: October 22, 2013, 02:58:30 AM »
Yes how dare this unknown Irish guitarist even attempt,  to play that song...

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1197 on: October 27, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
Currently listening to DPP. Once is so much better, it's not even funny.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1198 on: October 27, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »
DPP has it's moments, 5.1 surround mix is great.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
Showtime Storyime is up on Amazon, and at a much lower price. Can't imagine that 2 BR discs were necessaary, but whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/Showtime-Storytime-2-cd-2-blu-ray/dp/B00FPM19UI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383846793&sr=8-1&keywords=nightwish+showtime+storytime
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1200 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
Showtime Storyime is up on Amazon, and at a much lower price. Can't imagine that 2 BR discs were necessaary, but whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/Showtime-Storytime-2-cd-2-blu-ray/dp/B00FPM19UI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383846793&sr=8-1&keywords=nightwish+showtime+storytime

I can't wait to see it. Floor is awesome. It's too bad she wasn't the initial replacement for Tarja. Not that Anette is a bad singer. I just think she was in the wrong band, and the music was just a bit too big for her. I never thought in a million years I would be saying this, but I think with Floor fronting the band, they have the potential to surpass anything they've done before.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: November 07, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »
I will be getting the Blu ray. I'm pretty pumped for this, not solely for Floor, but just for a NW concert in general with songs from Imaginarium.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1202 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
Don't know if it's been posted here yet, but they released a video awhile back of "Storytime" off the upcoming live DVD/album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkYwOJZONU

I keep hearing most people say that they think it's one of Floor's weaker performance, but she sounds awesome here IMO. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1203 on: November 08, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
Yeah it was posted back when the video came out, and I definitely disagree with those who say it's one of her weaker performances she sounds amazing.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1204 on: November 08, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »
Don't know if it's been posted here yet, but they released a video awhile back of "Storytime" off the upcoming live DVD/album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkYwOJZONU

I keep hearing most people say that they think it's one of Floor's weaker performance, but she sounds awesome here IMO. :metal

I know that personal tastes are always going to vary, but anyone who uses the word "weak" to describe her vocal performance is an idiot.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1205 on: November 08, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
That's pretty damn awesome! :metal

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: November 08, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
I don't believe she is weak either, but I do think that song was very fitting for Annette and it is probably a more difficult song for Floor and hence why people think she is weak.  She does a damn good job IMO.

One of the bonus features on the DVD is the recorded performance of NW with Floor doing Ghost Love Score and I watch that video on youtube so much because it is so damn awesome.  She dominates.  I am expecting this DVD to be filled with that kind of awesomeness

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1207 on: November 08, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »
I think Floor sounds great on that song.  She isn't struggling at all.  I think perhaps the reason some may think she sounds like she is struggling is because we are hearing an isolated vocal track of just her.  Anette's vocal track on the album is not a single track.  It is multi-layered, including several harmony tracks.  Of course it is going to sound more full.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1208 on: November 08, 2013, 06:15:27 PM »
I actually think the reason those people were saying that it's a weak performance is that they didn't like how Floor belts out the song, instead of how Anette sang. Personally I prefer it, but yeah.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1209 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »
New video of Ghost Love Score of the upcoming DVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjIlHWBAVo&feature=youtu.be
Watching this gave me goosebumps all over. There is a reason Nightwish were my favourite band for about a year, when I was just getting into music in general, and this song was very much part of my loving Nightwish so much. I kinda overplayed it back then though, but after not listening to it for a few years I can now see how amazing it is once again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1210 on: November 15, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »
Wow.  Floor just KILLS it.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1211 on: November 15, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »

Awesome. I fucking love that woman.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1212 on: November 15, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
That is fantastic. Floor is so perfect for Nightwish!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1213 on: November 15, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »
This comment is from another video of Ghost Love Score with Annette:

"Really? Well, I like Anette's version over Floor's Even if Anette does some ornaments that would be better to keep off the song, she seems in more control. Floor just ranges from trying to impress with her "versatility" and trying to sing along with the choir (failing) and leaves the intention behind. In a technical point of view, Floor's work seems over exagerated, and Anette's performance seems clean and and in more control. I stay with the original, but from Anette to Floor I prefere Anette."

:| (the whole thing but definitely the bolded part)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
I think I am a bigger Annette fan than the average NW fan, but that comment is ridiculous.  Floor does this song better than Tarja IMO and that is saying a lot.  And in my opinion, compared to End of an Era, Floor seems way more into the song.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1215 on: November 15, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
"versatility"

Offline adace

« Reply #1216 on: November 15, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
Anette did a great job with DPP and Imaginaerium but it's clear beyond doubt that Floor is more suited to singing the old stuff. Really can't wait to to see the whole DVD.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1217 on: November 16, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
This comment is from another video of Ghost Love Score with Annette:

"Really? Well, I like Anette's version over Floor's Even if Anette does some ornaments that would be better to keep off the song, she seems in more control. Floor just ranges from trying to impress with her "versatility" and trying to sing along with the choir (failing) and leaves the intention behind. In a technical point of view, Floor's work seems over exagerated, and Anette's performance seems clean and and in more control. I stay with the original, but from Anette to Floor I prefere Anette."

:| (the whole thing but definitely the bolded part)

While I don't have a problem with Anette as a vocalist, this is just ridiculous.

In my personal opinion, Floor has done to Ghost Love Score what Bruce Dickinson did with Phantom of the Opera when he joined Iron Maiden: made it his song and rocks the living hell out of it. As great as the original with Tarja is, you can tell that Floor loves singing GLS. From what I hear, it's her all-time favorite song and one that she wishes she had managed to write. It shows in her performance.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1218 on: November 18, 2013, 11:45:15 PM »
Preordered the DVD+CD set yesterday :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: November 18, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »

Ditto Mr Tenniscourt ......................like your work too  ;)

Long term fan of Floor here via After Forever - she's always been my fave female metal singer.  I don't think she can be matched in terms of being capable of the operatic stuff but with such a huge rock/chest voice.

I actually prefer this clip to the version on the new DVD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4V_eoR6r1Tw#t=489

Lost count of how many times I've played that last minute or two and that final note  :hefdaddy    I believe they call it a Floorgasm  :lol

I also have the DVD on the way - never taken a great deal of interest in Nightwish but I'm on board now and looking forward to her taking them to a new level.  Hopefully the songs are there for her to make the most of.   Not a big fan of Revamp btw.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1220 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
That is fantastic. Floor is so perfect!

Here, fixed that for ya. :)

My god, that woman! I know Tarja is a good singer and all but if I were her I'd think twice before getting on the same stage as Floor.

Many people freak out about the high notes she hits (seemingly effortless) but that is not the thing that impresses me the most with her. I think a lot of talented singers can hit those notes, but the fullness and the power of her voice as she sustains them is what blows me away every god damn time. I have no idea if it's her training or it's just a freaky gift of nature or both but I can't recall another singer (even males) that can do that so effortlessly in a live setting time after time. And to think that this is just a small part of her capabilities. Inhuman.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:01:34 AM by abydos »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1221 on: November 19, 2013, 04:38:31 AM »
It's true that Floor is a classically trained vocalist, but what makes her truly special is the way she combines the higher parts with real power. She really is the complete package in that respect. Plus her stage presence is awesome as well.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #1222 on: November 19, 2013, 05:09:32 AM »

Lost count of how many times I've played that last minute or two and that final note  :hefdaddy    I believe they call it a Floorgasm  :lol

Yeah, and Emppu (guitar player) had a mile wide grin on his face like he had just dropped a load in his pants when she sustained that high note.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1223 on: November 19, 2013, 05:17:31 AM »

Yeah, and Emppu (guitar player) had a mile wide grin on his face like he had just dropped a load in his pants when she sustained that high note.

Yup, his reaction might be my favourite moment of the whole video :D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1224 on: November 19, 2013, 08:43:13 AM »
I have that version on my phone. I agree, it's better than on the DVD.