Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318075 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1085 on: July 14, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
One day I will see Nightwish! 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1086 on: July 14, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »
I'd still enjoy seeing them. It sucks that Anette isn't there anymore.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1087 on: July 15, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »
Over the years I have been lucky enough to see NW with all 3 singers.
Best singer Tarja, better front woman Anette, Floor was okay, but didn't blow me away.

Offline Zukuduku

« Reply #1088 on: July 22, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
I finally managed to read the Nightwish book by Mape Ollila. It had quite many pieces of information that I had totally missed, like that the band gave the last warning to Tarja etc. It felt incredible how they managed to let the band athmosphere decrease to such a horrible level in 2004-2005.

Especially if you compare it with Dream Theater and the events leading to MP's departure in 2010. I got the feeling from the book that if Tarja had got a good record deal in 2004 or later, she would have quit Nightwish immediately. But thanks to her husband's lack of business skills, the deal was not achieved and the band decided to get rid of them proactively.

So although there were some similarities to DT situation, I don't think things would have got so bad in DT even if MP hadn't got the lucrative chance of joining A7X in 2010. Although the relationships in DT were a bit strained, MP still cared for the band, acted professionally and did not try to sabotage the band as Tarja Turunen / Marcelo Cabuli did. And as DT members are American, they are capable of communication and can perhaps even make amends and forget old disagreements :)

On the other hand, seeing how they've completely misfired choosing their previous singer, even though it took them awhile (it was a sort of a "we totally trust her she'll be able to nail old songs based on a few rehearsals, and she has a kid already and might want more and she's never toured but she'll totally be able to handle world tour after world tour"-deal), maybe it would be good for them to first do a full tour with Floor to see if they want to stick with her for the rest of their career.

This is also what I don't fully get. I understood from the book that the problems in Nightwish kind of started when Tarja was unhappy when touring -> did not communicate or spend time with the band -> spent time with Marcelo -> etc. So one would think that singers with a proven track record in touring would be given precedence in the selection process. The other complaint that the band members had for Tarja was lack of dedication to the band. So again it seems a bit odd to have a frontwoman who is raising a large family. But hey, if it works for Within Temptation, so why not for Nightwish as well?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1089 on: July 22, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »
What I found ridiculous is how Tarja refused to tour the US due to the small venues. I mean, if you're trying to gain some success over there, you have to start from the little clubs.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1090 on: July 22, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Marcelo Cabuli tried to sue Mape for what was in the book. However I know Mape left a lot of stuff out of the book, in order to avoid legal action.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1091 on: July 23, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »
Especially if you compare it with Dream Theater and the events leading to MP's departure in 2010.

There aren't really any comparisons that can be drawn between the two situations, other than the fact that both involve bands with departing members.

But hey, if it works for Within Temptation, so why not for Nightwish as well?

But the problem is, it isn't really working for Within Temptation.  WT are not putting out albums with any real regularity.  They aren't touring extensively.  They aren't doing the things they could easily be doing to make WT huge.  They haven't even done a U.S. tour at all since The Heart Of Everything, and do not seem to be inclined to do one.  And that's all fine if Robert and Sharon want WT to continue being basically just a "hobby."  Yes, they are huge celebs in their country and a few places around Europe.  But they aren't really making WT a viable band in the grand scheme of things.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:45:09 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1092 on: July 23, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
I think Within Temptation are deciding to stay closer to home because of the rare chance they tour and they get sick or something to that effect. I as a fan from the us understand and respect that, they are writing again, so that's good.

Anyways,

"ALL THE SAME TAKE ME AWAY WE'RE DEAD TO THE WORLD"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1093 on: July 23, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Maybe they don't care to tour the USA and/or haven't been offered a tour?
Or it could be they are happy with being as big as they are?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: July 30, 2013, 06:36:52 AM »
From their FB feed this morning.

The time has come soon to wrap up the magical & memorable one-and-a-half year `Imaginaerum World Tour´ 2012-2013! We still have three shows left, one of them being at the legendary Wacken Open Air Metal Festival on the 3rd of August. This show will be something extra special, since it will be released later this year on DvD/Blu-ray, together with a massive `Imaginaerum World Tour´ 2012-2013 documentary. Our darling flying Dutchwoman, Floor Jansen, has been nothing but incredible during her time in Nightwish on this tour, so this is a perfect opportunity to immortalize the current vibe of the band on film!

:happydance:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1095 on: July 30, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »
Sweet!  I was really hoping for a DVD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: July 30, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »
Sweet!  I was really hoping for a DVD.

You and me both brother!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:48 AM »
I just saw that on facebook.  That is such awesome news.  Even if they don't stick with Floor, it will be awesome to get a filmed concert with her and the Imaginarium songs.

It would be awesome if they snuck in some bonus footage of Annette from the start of the tour, but I heavily doubt that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1098 on: July 30, 2013, 08:40:09 AM »
Their DVD will probably be out before Dream Theater's.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1099 on: July 30, 2013, 08:47:29 AM »
Awesome news! I really wanted a performance captured from this tour.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: July 30, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
Their DVD will probably be out before Dream Theater's.

You're probably right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1101 on: July 30, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »
If by "Dream Theater's," you mean Live At Luna Park, yeah.  At the rate we're going, Dream Theater's DVD from the "Along For The Ride" tour will probably be out before Live At Luna Park. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1102 on: July 30, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
Interesting that they would film a DVD with a (as of now) temporary singer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1103 on: July 30, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »
Interesting that they would film a DVD with a (as of now) temporary singer.

Well, given that they put out new albums slightly less frequently than Pink Floyd, I think they have to take advantage of the opportunity to do a DVD whenever they can. 

*ignores the obvious elephant in the room of "does this mean Floor is officially joining?! :panicattack: "*

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1104 on: July 30, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
We're talking about Nightwish, a band that filmed a dvd the night they were planning to can their singer and later released a 'movie' featuring a singer already let go. If Floor had any interest in joining Nightwish, being filmed with them was a very risky thing to agree to.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1105 on: July 30, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
Let's say they don't offer Floor the permanent position, and next year they find the 3rd permanent vocalist.

Years later, if someone looks at their back catalog, it will look odd that there's a live DVD with a temporary singer who was just filling in.

This is all a big "What if?" I honestly hope they take Floor in permanently, she fits great, the fans have gotten used to her already and I'm sure the band likes her a lot too. They'd be fools to not to.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1106 on: July 30, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
Let's say they don't offer Floor the permanent position, and next year they find the 3rd permanent vocalist.

Years later, if someone looks at their back catalog, it will look odd that there's a live DVD with a temporary singer who was just filling in.

Yes and no.  In general, I would agree.  But the reality is that this is a rather grand concept, and a tour with a concept like this deserves to be preserved and recorded with a live video.  And that being said, there is the logistical problem of the band having parted ways with their official vocalist.  Under those circumstances, in the grand context of their history, it really won't be that odd to have a mere "replacement" singer captured on their live recording. 

Add to that the fact that Tuomas basically does whatever he feels like, doesn't really seem to overly care what critics think, and it mostly seems to work out okay.  So there you go. 

But I'm with you.  I hope they do just join forces permanently.  If Tuomas and Floor can function permanently in a band environment (the biggest sticking point I think being that one or both will likely have to give up a great degree of creative control, which I think will be difficult), we the fans definitely win.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1107 on: July 31, 2013, 01:53:50 AM »

Yes and no.  In general, I would agree.  But the reality is that this is a rather grand concept, and a tour with a concept like this deserves to be preserved and recorded with a live video.  And that being said, there is the logistical problem of the band having parted ways with their official vocalist.  Under those circumstances, in the grand context of their history, it really won't be that odd to have a mere "replacement" singer captured on their live recording. 

Add to that the fact that Tuomas basically does whatever he feels like, doesn't really seem to overly care what critics think, and it mostly seems to work out okay.  So there you go. 

But I'm with you.  I hope they do just join forces permanently.  If Tuomas and Floor can function permanently in a band environment (the biggest sticking point I think being that one or both will likely have to give up a great degree of creative control, which I think will be difficult), we the fans definitely win.

True. Plus, if they decide to go with someone else, it'll probably seem like they're looking for a fourth vocalist, seeing as how they had to get accustomed with Floor already.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1108 on: August 16, 2013, 05:11:06 AM »
I really think that issuing a live DVD with Floor seals her fate as the new permanent singer for NW.
Unless she does not want it and for some reason thinks ReVamp can be massive?
Realistically though, she will never be in a band as good or as big as NW, so I hope is is confirmed as the 'new singer' when the DVD is released.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: August 16, 2013, 05:13:50 AM »
Realistically though, she will never be in a band as good or as big as NW, so I hope is is confirmed as the 'new singer' when the DVD is released.

I agree, and would love to see her in NW full-time.  But, maybe she doesn't want to be in a band that big full-time?  Lot's of great performers don't aspire to make it big, just do what they love.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1110 on: August 16, 2013, 05:43:32 AM »
Yeah good point, as I said she might just fancy doing ReVamp.
But as she has had a taste of a different level, maybe she likes it and wants more?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1111 on: August 16, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
https://www.ghostcultmag.com/a-question-of-balance-an-interview-with-revamp/
Would you be willing to sing for Nightwish permanently if they asked you?

I’ve been asked to fill in for the current world tour and for a couple of festival dates, but what will happen after that is still unclear. Nightwish will take a break after the current touring cycle and they’ll make a decision next year. Until then everything is still up in the air. If they would ask me I would be very flattered and I would love to do it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1112 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
:floorgasm:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1113 on: August 16, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »
I searched for a Tarja thread, but couldn't find one.
Her new album, 'Colours In The Dark' is easily the best thing she has done since leaving NW.
10 songs all very strong, one Peter Gabriel cover, great singing of course and good production.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1114 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
I have What Lies Beneath, and I've heard some of her other stuff.  And while I loved her in Nightwish, her solo stuff pretty much does nothing for me.

But I think I'll listen to End Of An Era now.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1115 on: August 16, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
I didn't even buy What Lies Beneath, I heard it and it was bloody awful, what was she thinking covering Still Of The Night?
As I said, easily her best effort since, Once' with NW.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1116 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »
Wait, WHAT?  I had to go back and check because I didn't remember that being on there.  Must have been a bonus track, because it's not on mine.  I just YouTubed it, and...ugh.  That is just awful!  And not just her singing on it.  The instrumentation is terrible.  The...well, the whole thing is just bad.  Wow, that was just NOT a good idea at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: August 16, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Bosk... check the videos from her FB page that she's released from the upcoming album.  I'm totally with you that her solo stuff honks on bobo, but this album has me (almost) excited.  Think I'll be picking it up.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1118 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:58 AM »
I'm a bit reluctant to countenance any honking, whether actual or implied, of nary a bobo.  But I will give the videos a shot. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1119 on: August 16, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »
I liked the middle part where it was just her and some keys but the rest of the song just made me cringe so hard.