Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317970 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1050 on: February 02, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Today I had my first serious (probably first at all) listen to this band, prompted by Milena's sister.

This is what I listened to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_eoR6r1Tw

While they are not really my cup of tea, I can tell you that this song looks and sounds extremely cool!  :O
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1051 on: February 02, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »
Today I had my first serious (probably first at all) listen to this band, prompted by Milena's sister.

This is what I listened to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_eoR6r1Tw

While they are not really my cup of tea, I can tell you that this song looks and sounds extremely cool!  :O
It's the best thing they ever did, definitely.

Luckily for you, she won't be able to spam you with as much music I spam you with, so we're all set :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1052 on: February 02, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
About 29.85 and 1/3
Maybe I just haven't given it enough spins yet, but Imaginareum was just kind of par for the course for me. Middle tier album by Nightwish scales. Not too bad, not too great.
29.85 and a third (decimals AND fractions?! you MAVERICK!!) will do just nicely - and the proviso means I won't be too disappointed if it's more of a 28.1. I've just sorted out that CD player,  so... brace for impact!

It's the best thing they ever did, definitely.
Knew exactly what it'd be when I read this. I was right. Ghost Love Score's ace. Kicks seven shades of shit out of The Poet and the Pendulum. Not that every good song has to be good at another's expense, cos I do really like TPatP, but Once was something else. Poet feels like a Ghost Love Score that didn't quiiiite work. In fact, the album feels like a Once that didn't quite work. Which is fine, there'd been turmoil, and it means I've got no idea what Imaginaerum's gonna sound like. Ooh, I love this bit.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: February 02, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
Luckily for you, she won't be able to spam you with as much music I spam you with, so we're all set :rollin

Hey, I owe you a good 70% of where I am right now musically. There's no absolute contest! :D

Maybe even 80 :blobl:
- Marco

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1054 on: February 02, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »
Just hit Slow, Love, Slow.

Ooh.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: February 02, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »

Ooh.
After the album, do please youtube Floor Jansen singing that song. I think I can't determine whether I'd like being her majestic self or being her girlfriend better.
Not to bring Anette down, she sounds excellent on that song as well - it was written for her voice, after all, and she nails it.

Hey, I owe you a good 70% of where I am right now musically. There's no absolute contest! :D

Maybe even 80 :blobl:
Heeey, you asked for it :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1056 on: February 02, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »
About 29.85 and 1/3
Maybe I just haven't given it enough spins yet, but Imaginareum was just kind of par for the course for me. Middle tier album by Nightwish scales. Not too bad, not too great.
29.85 and a third (decimals AND fractions?! you MAVERICK!!) will do just nicely - and the proviso means I won't be too disappointed if it's more of a 28.1. I've just sorted out that CD player,  so... brace for impact!
:tup
If it's any consolation, I sometimes partake of a particularly juicy double negative now and again. Gotta flaunt my maverick-ness where I can.

Ooh.
Yep, that's a good one right there.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1057 on: February 02, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »

Ooh.
After the album, do please youtube Floor Jansen singing that song. I think I can't determine whether I'd like being her majestic self or being her girlfriend better.
Not to bring Anette down, she sounds excellent on that song as well - it was written for her voice, after all, and she nails it.
I absolutely will.

Onto I Want My Tears Back, now - and the vocals are a little grating. Not sure if it's the lyrics, the melody, or the tone. Probably the melody! Annette's typically more my kind of singer than Tarja was, and she's absolutely cracking - shame she left! - but there are moments on this album, I'm finding, where I think the singing's bringing the music down, which I never remember feeling on a Nightwish album. Loving this Irish jig type thing, though. There's a lot of really interesting stuff going on. Feels a lot more confident, more interesting, and more exciting than Dark Passion Play. Which is weird, considering DPP was the one that followed a significant line-up change. Should've had excitement built in.

Scaretale, now. Again - ooh! No italics, that's only SLS so far, but still - ooh.

EDIT: Ooh!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: February 02, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »
Scaretale, now. Again - ooh! No italics, that's only SLS so far, but still - ooh.

I knew ittttt :biggrin:

Damn, it is a good little album, now that I remember. I was never ready to call myself a fan of Nightwish but I obviously enjoyed a lot of their music and this contains several catchy songs I wouldn't mind dancing to somewhere on a live show. Ghost River, I remember, was especially good.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: February 02, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Heeey, you asked for it :rollin

I did it and I am very thankful for it :)
- Marco

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1060 on: February 02, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »

I knew ittttt :biggrin:

Damn, it is a good little album, now that I remember. I was never ready to call myself a fan of Nightwish but I obviously enjoyed a lot of their music and this contains several catchy songs I wouldn't mind dancing to somewhere on a live show. Ghost River, I remember, was especially good.
You're telling me! Arabesque just started. The drums!! This album is so cool musically.

Also, having finished Storytime, Annette's bits were literally the only thing that kept that song from being a perfect ten on first listen. She's fine, and I do really like her voice (Turn Loose the Mermaids now, and she's ace!!), but like I was going to say in the last post before I kept getting distracted by the music - not only Slow Love Slow, I ain't half looking forward to finding out what Floor Jansen brings to all this material. Woman's a phenomenon.

Also, TLtM - little bit of a Wild West influence? Very Morricone. Lush.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1061 on: February 02, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »
All right. Song of Myself, now. Big spoken word section.

No. Not for me. Tuomas Holopainen is many things, but a poet is not one of them. Got the lyric booklet out as they were saying the thing about the city that worships flesh - as I was thinking, "Right, not getting any of this." Thought, "Oh, good, at least it's almost over." Then it carried on. Turned the page. "Oh." I, too, wish to be a decent manboy. "Yeah, I think I'm done here."

As a general rule, the further it drifts from trad. Nightwish, the more I like this album. It's the songs like Slow, Love, Slow; The Crow, the Owl and the Dove that I'm really digging. Liking the title track, but it feels like it's at the wrong end of the album.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: February 02, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
Tuomas Holopainen is many things, but a poet is not one of them.
THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS. I am so very sick of him writing sad "poetry" about himself not being "all grown up". It's one of the reasons why I can't call myself a Nightwish fan. DT has some cringey lyrical moments as well but I'd rather have DT12 be a concept albums about counts and pharaohs and vampires and whatever else JP was criticized for (based on a thousand different animes and submitted to Wikipedia editors for approval on style) than have him write this:
"Today, in the year of our Lord, 2013
John was called from the cares of the world
He stopped crying at the end of each beautiful day."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1063 on: February 02, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
It's been a while since I last listened to NW (a year actually, when Imaginaerum had come out), but I heard Bless the Child on the radio a few days ago and that inspired me to dig up my Century Child CD - damn, I had forgotten about the great songs this album includes! :metal It isn't cheesy power metal like their earlier works, but Tuomas hadn't become obsessed with orchestral arrangements yet, either.

Rob, the less typical NW songs on Imaginaerum stood out to me as well, although I remember liking Rest Calm the most (due to the doom influence, perhaps?). And yeah, Milena - Tuomas writes some really cheesy lyrics; that's probably one of the main reasons I don't care about NW anymore. NW on the whole is too much Disney for my taste nowadays! :lol

EDIT: Don't want to sound as if I'm a hipster or underground or something like that, but NW is basically metal for kids and grannies in Finland - it's so safe. Or maybe we're just getting overexposed to them? My friend was a fan when Tarja was still in the band and he got bored of Nemo after hearing it too many times on the radio. Hell, I don't even listen to radio on my own, yet Storytime started to annoy me after I had heard it just a couple of times! :lol Ironically, I got into NW thanks to the frequent airplay of Amaranth back in the day... Metal getting played on the radio can be a blessing and a curse at the same time!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:55:54 PM by ? »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Never heard Nightwish on the radio. Too bad the USA has terrible music taste as a whole.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: February 03, 2013, 01:50:54 AM »
All right. Song of Myself, now. Big spoken word section.

No. Not for me.

Yeah, I really love Song of Myself up until the spoken word section, but then it starts going downhill pretty rapidly for me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1066 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:35 AM »
It's been a while since I last listened to NW (a year actually, when Imaginaerum had come out), but I heard Bless the Child on the radio a few days ago and that inspired me to dig up my Century Child CD - damn, I had forgotten about the great songs this album includes! :metal It isn't cheesy power metal like their earlier works, but Tuomas hadn't become obsessed with orchestral arrangements yet, either.

I hate, hate, HATE that radio edit of Bless the Child. It cuts part of the magnificent build-up >:(.

Anyway, cool that you picked up CC. A top 5 album ever for me. There are JUST enough of orchestra. Fun fact: My hometown's symphony orchestra played the orchestral parts on the album.

EDIT: Don't want to sound as if I'm a hipster or underground or something like that, but NW is basically metal for kids and grannies in Finland - it's so safe. Or maybe we're just getting overexposed to them? My friend was a fan when Tarja was still in the band and he got bored of Nemo after hearing it too many times on the radio. Hell, I don't even listen to radio on my own, yet Storytime started to annoy me after I had heard it just a couple of times! :lol Ironically, I got into NW thanks to the frequent airplay of Amaranth back in the day... Metal getting played on the radio can be a blessing and a curse at the same time!

Even when I listen to popular music, I do it wrong. My favourite Nightwish albums are the four first, none of which had big hit songs. I have listened their more recent albums only once, and I find them good, but I rather stick with my precious foursome.

And I like Nightwish lyrics. Especially on Century Child.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1067 on: February 03, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »
I hate, hate, HATE that radio edit of Bless the Child. It cuts part of the magnificent build-up >:(.
It was Radio Rock and they played the full song! :metal It was nice to hear BTC instead of some bigger hit for once.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1068 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:45 AM »
Oh that's great  :smiley:.

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #1069 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
I find this forum's lack of recent Nightwish posting most disturbing.  :glare:

:hearts:

/floored by Floor
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
I find this forum's lack of recent Nightwish posting most disturbing.  :glare:

:hearts:

/floored by Floor
Everyone's floored by Floor. What a majestic singer :heart

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #1071 on: February 15, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
No kidding.  I'm not planning on changing my Tarja avatar anytime soon forever, but...yeah...Floor.  :jawdrop:

*glances up higher in the thread*

Oh hai, Sabredog!  *waves*

\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: February 15, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »
The lack of discussion is probably due to the lack of news. Id love for them to say Floor is staying and they are going back to the studio soon. A man can wish.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1073 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
As good as she makes Nightwish sound (not a fan of the band), NW has delayed Revamp's new album by too much as it is.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1074 on: February 16, 2013, 04:43:57 AM »
Floor has posted that she´s recording the vocals for the new Revamp album as we speak.
As for Nightwish....who knows?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1075 on: May 03, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
Has anyone else seen the movie yet?

I bought the Bluray from the Nightwish website and it came yesterday.

I didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing, but what I watched was pretty good. Definitely non-traditional, and it does "feature" the band playing two of their songs (which does have context in the story). The special effects could definitely be better, but for the amount of money they had to work with it isn't too bad.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1076 on: May 03, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
Oh I almost have forgot about the movie!  :omg: I will check that out!  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1077 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
As good as she makes Nightwish sound (not a fan of the band), NW has delayed Revamp's new album by too much as it is.
Love After forever, but I haven't been able to get into Revamp.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1078 on: May 03, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan either but they have some awesome tunes and Floor does experiment with a different side of her voice with the band. And they've done this Sins song from the new album that is just unbelievably good, imo, and I want to finally hear the good studio quality and not some shitty cam recording from the audience.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1079 on: May 03, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »
Floor is one of my absolute favourite singers and her performances are great on the first ReVamp album, the songs just didn't interest me enough. It wasn't bad, and there were some nice songs, but on the whole I found it a little dull.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1080 on: May 04, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »
That describes the situation with ReVamp wonderfully for me, too. I'll check out this new album, though, if abydos thinks it'll be better.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1081 on: May 04, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
I certainly hope so, for one. It's been so long since it was supposed to be out anyway, I hope they've taken their sweet time to polish it. What put Revamp on the map for me last year was this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0E3xREwliI Check it out if you haven't. If you're a Floor fan, you're in for a treat :). She puts most male singers to shame with the power of her voice, imo.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1082 on: May 06, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
Okay, final opinion of Nightwish movie: 8/10 overall. Story - 9/10, Audio - 9/10, Visual Effects - 6.5-7/10.

It is definitely worth a watch if you can find a way. For Americans, it can get a little pricy, as with all fees and shipping included, just the Bluray was close to $40 from Nightwish's official shop.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1083 on: July 05, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »
This is a great live version of The Poet and the Pendulum from 2008. The bass is nice and loud too. Annette also sounds really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8vCmmY2ISE

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1084 on: July 14, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »
I saw them live at Ilosaarirock two days ago and wow! Even though the setlist was average, the band was on fire. And I like Floor, she is lovely and has a great voice. She's better than Anette (love her still), but not as good as Tarja, though.

They didn't save any pyrotechnics. Marco and Emppu were their quirky selves. Jukka's playing was sharp and Tuomas orchestrated things behind keyboards. Oh, and Troy Donockley played on I Want My Tears Back, Nemo, Last of the Wilds and Over the Hills and Far Away.

Some of my favourite moments were She Is My Sin, Ever Dream, middle section of I Want My Tears Back, Nemo, Amaranth and Ghost Love Score. But there were three songs above the others.

Before they started playing Bless the Child, I yelled "Wishmaster!" Then I heard the choir opening and yelled again, "Even better!" It is the song that made me fall in love with NW and I had no idea they would play it. The only flaw was Floor singing the first verse with the lyrics of the second verse. But even playing anything else than Ever Dream from Century Child is a great act of culture.

Romanticide was precedented by a humorous speech by Marco (my translation): "And now it's time for an open letter... sort of a tradition in our band. Dear wife. I know it's our anniversary. And I know you have spend the last three hours in the kitchen making dinner for me... coq au vin. But I'm not going home tonight. I'm going to a hot dog stand. Because I love sausages. This is the death of romance, Romanticide!"

DAT. OUTRO.  :metal :metal :metal

After the song Marco said: "Just kidding. Going to sleep beside you tonight."

And the last song of the set was Last Ride of the Day. Near the end of the song, fireworks started. It was really wonderful. And there were plenty of them.

It was my favourite gig ever... until I saw PMMP yesterday. But they don't have a thread here.