Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318051 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #1015 on: December 07, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
I uh :|

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1016 on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »
I'd like to introduce everybody to the subject of Tuomas's next project (not Nightwish).

https://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=183317

I have a feeling I won't be too involved with this next thing.

Just quoting this so the brilliance of it (not my post, the announcement) will not be lost on the last page.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: December 08, 2012, 08:19:51 AM »
Well then... that's interesting.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1018 on: December 08, 2012, 08:49:57 AM »
He's been talking about that "Scrooge" project for a few years already, I think.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1019 on: December 08, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »
Whoa, that sounds interesting and bizarrely awesome! I'm a big fan of Scrooge and those old comics were great.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1020 on: December 10, 2012, 04:21:35 AM »
Sounds cool. I adore Don Rosa's and Carl Barks's work, let's see what he can do.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: December 11, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »
Saw them not too long ago in Austin with Kamelot.   Very good show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: December 23, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
Just strolled upon this entire concert on youtube from Argentina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCDK2RfzRY

As usual with the South American crowds, they sing along to everything.  Such a different vibe from the show I went to in New York City.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1023 on: December 30, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »
Looking forward to seeing them in Sydney on Jan 11th.
Hopefully catching up with Tuomas and Ewo before or after the show.

Online Adami

« Reply #1024 on: December 30, 2012, 01:03:12 AM »
I just re-watched segments of that Argentina concert. Noticed that even when they play Wishmaster (Thank god they don't completely ignore that album anymore) Floor doesn't do the opera. I wonder why that is? She's obviously more than capable of it.

Also, I really wish Floor would sing the lead vocals over the final chorus of Amaranth. It's like the best part of the song, even Annette butchered it every time live. I was so excited to hear it done properly, but instead she just repeats the chorus without the lead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1025 on: December 30, 2012, 03:11:37 AM »
I just re-watched segments of that Argentina concert. Noticed that even when they play Wishmaster (Thank god they don't completely ignore that album anymore) Floor doesn't do the opera. I wonder why that is? She's obviously more than capable of it.
There was some interview where someone mentioned (sorry for the vagueness!) that Tuomas asked her to pull it off in another style, since he's not really into opera singing anymore.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: December 30, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »
I also remember reading that Tuomas said he thinks no-one could pull off the classical vocals the way Tarja did. However, I haven't listened to Floor's other projects, but some people have said she has started singing in a more rock-oriented style lately, so maybe she feels more comfortable singing that way. I think it's probable that even if Floor ends up joining NW, there'll be very little, if any, classical vocals on the future albums.

Online Adami

« Reply #1027 on: December 30, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
There was some interview where someone mentioned (sorry for the vagueness!) that Tuomas asked her to pull it off in another style, since he's not really into opera singing anymore.

Well poop.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #1028 on: December 30, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
I also remember reading that Tuomas said he thinks no-one could pull off the classical vocals the way Tarja did. However, I haven't listened to Floor's other projects, but some people have said she has started singing in a more rock-oriented style lately, so maybe she feels more comfortable singing that way. I think it's probable that even if Floor ends up joining NW, there'll be very little, if any, classical vocals on the future albums.

See I prefer Floors rock voice as well, but I'm all about dynamics. If she CAN do opera as well as she clearly can, then it would be nice to use that when the time is right, once again dynamics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1029 on: December 30, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »

See I prefer Floors rock voice as well, but I'm all about dynamics. If she CAN do opera as well as she clearly can, then it would be nice to use that when the time is right, once again dynamics.

Yup, which is a reason I didnt really like Tarjas vocals live, the operatic style overpowered some songs. Also, why I liked Annette live, i really enjoyed her improvs.

Floor is a great choice for Nightwish their songs got more heavy and Rockin. If she can utilize what she did with After Forever and Ayreon.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: January 12, 2013, 01:30:55 AM »
This is old, but I bet none of you have seen it: A parody version of Amaranth in Finnish

There is a rough English translation of the lyrics in the description. The video is taken from a TV show called Radio Millennium - they do lots of parodies of many Finnish hit songs, and most of them are actually funnier than this one.

Offline adace

« Reply #1031 on: January 23, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
Floor did a spectacular job on this. Seriously impressed.  :hefdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_eoR6r1Tw

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1032 on: January 23, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Floor proved to me what I knew she could do, Blend Tarja with Anette with her own flare. I almost cried at the end. I really hope she becomes permanent.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #1033 on: January 23, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
Finally got a hold of Once's surround sound mix. Tarja has a dedicated speaker? yes plz.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1034 on: January 23, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
Nice to have a pro-shot version of this. The way she did it in London, man. This is slightly better than London though.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1035 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »

WOW!  Hands down, the best version of the song I have ever heard.  Are they planning on releasing a live DVD?  The audio and video on that was outstanding quality.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1036 on: January 23, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
09:26-09:40... what's even more impressive to me is that this isn't even close to reaching her limits. Dat voice!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1037 on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »
Saw Nightwish play in Sydney almost 2 weeks ago.
We were right behind the mixing desk, it was my girlfriends for ever concert too.
From our position Floors voice was far too low in the mix, with the rest of the sound pretty good.
The set list was pretty good, nothing pre 'Once', except 'Ever Dream' and 'Over The Hills and Far Away'.
For me too much of the most recent album, although it did come alive more than the actual 'Imaginarium' CD sounds.
Having seen NW with all 3 singers, I hate to say it, but I do prefer Tarja!

It ended up being a great evening, support act Sabaton were great, I have never seen such a strong reaction from a crowd to any band that is not a headliner.
Towards the end of the night I did bump into NW manager Ewo, we had a nice chat, although I haven't seen him since 2008, it was amazing how good his memory is.
We were about to leave when Ewo insisted we go backstage and see Toumas. After eventually getting past security, I saw Marco eating pizza, an exhausted Floor and TH drenched in sweat.

I am still not sure if Floor is the answer to NW vocalist merry go round, but she did nail 'Ghost Love Score'.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1038 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »
Fuck me.....that was good and she's headbangin too!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1039 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
Haven't followed Nightwish terribly closely in the last few years, but damn, Floor is amazing in that video. Never was too fond of Anette, but I could get excited about them again with Floor behind the mic.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1040 on: January 23, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »
Damn, that was a great video.  I might have to check out some of Floor's other work sometime.  She's very, very good there.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1041 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
Yeah, we can officially rename that to Ghost Love Floor.   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Can't believe I'm saying that, but I'll take that version over End of an Era.  Absolutely love how she turned off the opera-range vocals in the second half of the song. 

Un-fucking-real.  Good god they need to release a full DVD!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1042 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »
We were right behind the mixing desk, it was my girlfriends for ever concert too.
From our position Floors voice was far too low in the mix, with the rest of the sound pretty good.
The set list was pretty good, nothing pre 'Once', except 'Ever Dream' and 'Over The Hills and Far Away'.
For me too much of the most recent album, although it did come alive more than the actual 'Imaginarium' CD sounds.

It ended up being a great evening, support act Sabaton were great, I have never seen such a strong reaction from a crowd to any band that is not a headliner.
Towards the end of the night I did bump into NW manager Ewo, we had a nice chat, although I haven't seen him since 2008, it was amazing how good his memory is.
We were about to leave when Ewo insisted we go backstage and see Toumas. After eventually getting past security, I saw Marco eating pizza, an exhausted Floor and TH drenched in sweat.

I am still not sure if Floor is the answer to NW vocalist merry go round, but she did nail 'Ghost Love Score'.

Holy fuck, SABATON opened the show? I would kill to see that show. I saw them in my hometown last April (my buddies' band opened for them) and they simply put on the BEST live show, IMO. That and NW in the same night...awesome.

Awesome video btw. However mixed peoples' feelings may be about it, I really hope they keep Floor permanently.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1043 on: January 24, 2013, 05:40:19 AM »

Holy fuck, SABATON opened the show? I would kill to see that show. I saw them in my hometown last April (my buddies' band opened for them) and they simply put on the BEST live show, IMO. That and NW in the same night...awesome.

Awesome video btw. However mixed peoples' feelings may be about it, I really hope they keep Floor permanently.
Sabaton will open for Maiden in Malmö, Sweden!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1044 on: January 26, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
Yes Sabaton opened for Nightwish, apparently at the personnel request of NW.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1045 on: January 28, 2013, 06:50:38 AM »
Good god they need to release a full DVD!!!

This. Totally! I've seen a couple of EXCELLENT clips from the tours so far....I think they have more than enough material to release one.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1046 on: January 28, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
Damn.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1047 on: February 02, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
Finally - finally - I bought Imaginaerum yesterday.

Still not listened to it yet. Sorting out the right speaker on my CD player, first. How excited should I be, on a scale from one to thirty-four?

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1048 on: February 02, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »
About 29.85 and 1/3

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1049 on: February 02, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
Maybe I just haven't given it enough spins yet, but Imaginareum was just kind of par for the course for me. Middle tier album by Nightwish scales. Not too bad, not too great.