Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318207 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #945 on: November 20, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
If she truly is just an "interrim singer," it would be weird to release a DVD.  But if she is actually stepping in as a member, it would be really good timing to release a DVD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #946 on: November 20, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
If she truly is just an "interrim singer," it would be weird to release a DVD.  But if she is actually stepping in as a member, it would be really good timing to release a DVD.

Nooo not yet. A Nightwish DVD needs to be filmed in like Finland with a super long set list. And now that Floor is touring with them, they need to realize that they can play songs Anette couldn't sing. They need to bring back Phantom, and other older songs and not have 100% of the set list be Marco era stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #947 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »

Nooo not yet. A Nightwish DVD needs to be filmed in like Finland with a super long set list. And now that Floor is touring with them, they need to realize that they can play songs Anette couldn't sing. They need to bring back Phantom, and other older songs and not have 100% of the set list be Marco era stuff.

It's hard to disagree with that.  However, while your argument is sound, the flipside of that is that we really don't need End Of An Era pt. 2.  I'm perfectly fine with a DVD being dominated by the new material and not being shot in Finland because we already have one with what you are proposing (not to mention the Lowlands 2007 bootleg, which is outstanding). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #948 on: November 20, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
I only say Finland so they can have the biggest stage show they can, it can be elsewhere, but obviously not like America or something.

And I want as much new material as they want, but I don't want old material totally ignored. And I don't think End of an Era had much old material, did it? I can't remember. I think only what...like 2-3 songs or something? I just think they should take advantage of Floor if they are going to film one with her and throw some Oceanborn and so forth material in there, which for the most part has been totally ignored for the past like 10 years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #949 on: November 20, 2012, 09:02:18 AM »
Well, yeah, they did gloss over Oceanborn on EOAE.  But I think that's probably because they have other albums that actually aren't boring.

Offline Adami

« Reply #950 on: November 20, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »
Well, yeah, they did gloss over Oceanborn on EOAE.  But I think that's probably because they have other albums that actually aren't boring.

.....them there's fightin words Bosky.

Shall we say 10 paces?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
I agree with a DVD with newer songs. They have another DVD with more ocean born songs on it, from wishes to eternity.

Offline Adami

« Reply #952 on: November 20, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
I agree with a DVD with newer songs. They have another DVD with more ocean born songs on it, from wishes to eternity.

Meh, I just don't agree with the sentiment that DVD's should only focus on new songs because old DVDs have old songs. Perhaps we'd like to hear those songs with the new line up? Perhaps we'd like to hear them again with a new energy? I mean I have a feeling if DT released DVD's with only new songs, people would be pissy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #953 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »
A Nightwish DVD needs to be filmed in like Finland

This YT clip was filmed in Helsinki, so one of your requirements is met.  I think a more diverse setlist would indeed be nice, but I'll gladly take something over nothing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #954 on: November 20, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »

.....them there's fightin words Bosky.

Shall we say 10 paces?

:huckleberry:

But seriously, I don't ever expect to see a lot of songs from Oceanborn in a given set.  One or two tops (unless they are doing some sort of anniversary show or something like that where they decide to feature most or the album for a one-off thing).

Offline Adami

« Reply #955 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
I'll take 2 songs as long as they're not just ballads.

I mean, just throwing a song like Stargazers or Passion and the Opera on the DVD would be amazing. It's not like we haven't heard Over the Hills and Far Away on way too many DVD's, but they keep playing it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #956 on: November 20, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Maybe they think they're too good for Power Metal now.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #957 on: November 20, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »
Seeing how they're keeping her until sept. 2013, I think they're just warming their fans up for her before they announce their decision. But anyone who knows anything about symphonic metal (repeating myself here) knows Floor, so I think that is not necessary.

On the other hand, seeing how they've completely misfired choosing their previous singer, even though it took them awhile (it was a sort of a "we totally trust her she'll be able to nail old songs based on a few rehearsals, and she has a kid already and might want more and she's never toured but she'll totally be able to handle world tour after world tour"-deal), maybe it would be good for them to first do a full tour with Floor to see if they want to stick with her for the rest of their career. But if they decide they don't want her... I seriously have no idea who wouldn't be underwhelming after having Floor.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Adami

« Reply #958 on: November 20, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »
A very good point Mora. While I would prefer Floor do her own stuff, I can't imagine a more skilled vocalist in the field. I think at best they can find some unknown who is as good, but better? Can't see it.

Also agreed on them picking Olzen. They even said they didn't want her at first but she kept fighting for it. I think next time they'll just trust their first judgments.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #959 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
Seeing how they're keeping her until sept. 2013, I think they're just warming their fans up for her before they announce their decision. But anyone who knows anything about symphonic metal (repeating myself here) knows Floor, so I think that is not necessary.
They already know Floor has been accepted well, but I don't think they want to rush things. As Tuomas said, nothing is set in stone yet, but if Floor is willing to join permanently, I can't see them going through yet another audition process. Floor already knows the songs and her voice fits (most of) them, she also has experience from touring, something Anette didn't have before joining NW - I don't think they want to take a risk with another inexperienced vocalist. It's basically a question of whether Floor is ready to dedicate herself fully to NW, but if Marco has enough time to release a new Tarot album every now and then, she will probably have enough time for Revamp as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
And if Damian Wilson can do Threshold/Maiden uNited/Headspace, I'm sure if everything is as good as it seems in Nightwish-land, Floor fronting 2 bands wouldn't be completely unmanageable for everyone involved.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #961 on: November 20, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
And if Damian Wilson can do Threshold/Maiden uNited/Headspace, I'm sure if everything is as good as it seems in Nightwish-land, Floor fronting 2 bands wouldn't be completely unmanageable for everyone involved.

It honestly depends how busy a band is though. I mean look at Symphony X. Russell can do whatever else he wants cause Symph barely does anything. Nightwish on the other hand tour pretty regularly and then record. They have a decent amount of time off, but it might not be enough for Floor to do a full other band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #962 on: November 20, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »
Yeah. When Nightwish has breaks, they last for a while, but that's only once every 3-4 years or so.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #963 on: November 20, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
I mean look at Symphony X. Russell can do whatever else he wants cause Symph barely does anything.
Yea that makes me a  :sadpanda:!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

« Reply #964 on: November 20, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
I mean look at Symphony X. Russell can do whatever else he wants cause Symph barely does anything.

Well I can't blame them. I guess it takes them a long time now adays to write the same exact metal song over and over again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #965 on: November 20, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

Well I can't blame them. I guess it takes them a long time now adays to write the same exact metal song over and over again.
Ahh don't you think that's a bit harsh! The last album was cool imo.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: November 20, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

Ten paces bitch!

:curtains:

Offline Adami

« Reply #967 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »
Hey I like Symph too, but their riffs/solos are getting VERY identical.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: November 20, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »

Meh, I just don't agree with the sentiment that DVD's should only focus on new songs because old DVDs have old songs. Perhaps we'd like to hear those songs with the new line up? Perhaps we'd like to hear them again with a new energy? I mean I have a feeling if DT released DVD's with only new songs, people would be pissy.

Sort of like how iron maiden releases the same songs on every DVD? Seriously, who wouldn't want old songs with the new line up assuming they can perform them well, but they've released two albums since their last DVD so I think most people as well as the band would want the new DVD to focus more on those songs. One of the things I didn't like when I saw them was that they didn't play a single song from before Once (besides over the hill). I wouldn't like a DVD like that.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #969 on: November 21, 2012, 03:37:47 AM »
I mean, just throwing a song like Stargazers or Passion and the Opera on the DVD would be amazing. It's not like we haven't heard Over the Hills and Far Away on way too many DVD's, but they keep playing it.

It's very unlikely that they will play Passion ever again, since Tarja has played it with her solo band.

But yeah, Oceanborn is awesome. Gethsemane would be too good wor words.

Offline Adami

« Reply #970 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »

It's very unlikely that they will play Passion ever again, since Tarja has played it with her solo band.

But yeah, Oceanborn is awesome. Gethsemane would be too good wor words.

Why? Tarja also plays Nemo regularly with her solo band, hasn't stopped the band. I doubt they care what she plays.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #971 on: November 29, 2012, 08:26:38 AM »
OK, my wife wants a Nightwish album to take on a car trip with some co-workers.  She loves their softer songs with Tarja but knows they're metal.  One person in the car is into metal, but which album is probably the most acceptable for general audience?  I was thinking maybe Century Child.  Well, actually I think she's doomed if she puts them on, but why discourage her. :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #972 on: November 29, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »
Why not just make a mix CD of their ballads?

If you do, make sure to randomly throw Master, Passion, Greed on there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #973 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »
No Annette.

Mix tape is nice but no real time to do it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #974 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
No Annette.

Mix tape is nice but no real time to do it.

It takes 5 minutes? Make a play list in Itunes, hit burn to to disk......and then burn it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #975 on: November 29, 2012, 08:56:24 AM »
All of my music is on cd.

Offline Adami

« Reply #976 on: November 29, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
All of my music is on cd.

Hm. Then do it the old fashioned way. Take each CD from which you'd like a song, cut a piece of it off and then tape all of the pieces together.

Or yea, Century Child would probably work just fine, after Angels I think it has the most ballads.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #977 on: November 29, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
In the other news, Tarja is a mother now (article in Finnish)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:25 AM »
I agree with Century Child, it has Phantom of the Opera. That seems like it could be acceptable.  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #979 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
Tarja's baby > Annette's baby