Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318214 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #805 on: October 04, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
We're never gonna forgive ourselves Bosk!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #806 on: October 04, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »
Well, I don't "regret" not going, because I definitely had more important things on the agenda.  But it's really a shame the scheduling worked out the way it did.  As I mentioned earlier, the staff at the Warfield can be REALLY strict about cameras, so I'm surprised at this, but a BUNCH of full song clips are showing up.

-Amaranth - Looks like someone had a good spot for filming, pretty close to dead center on the balcony.  If he were front row balcony, it would have been better, but security probably would have been all over him as well.  RJ was probably pretty much directly below this dude, but about 10 paces or so closer to the stage.  Anyway, as far as the song, this is the best I have EVER heard this song performed.  Sorry to say, Anette just couldn't pull it off live.  Floor sounded great, although the fact that she is singing a different melody on the chorus really threw me at first.

-Storytime - Floor OWNS this song!  Three shows in, and she is already starting to look and sound pretty comfortable with the band and the material.   :metal

-Wish I Had An Angel - Not my favorite song from them, but good job with it. 

There are quite a few more up as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #807 on: October 04, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
Tarja Turunen has now announced in a Finnish newspaper that she is willing to return to the band. (Source: https://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/2012100316156051_ps.shtml (warning: in Finnish)) Her only demand is that all the band members and the management of the band need to be replaced. So it's not likely to happen as long as Tuomas Holopainen remains in control of the band.

Sure, Tarja. Sure. :yeahright
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #808 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
Tarja Turunen has now announced in a Finnish newspaper that she is willing to return to the band. (Source: https://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/2012100316156051_ps.shtml (warning: in Finnish)) Her only demand is that all the band members and the management of the band need to be replaced.

:rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #809 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »
I actually moved between bands, had to pee and lost my spot. Here are the vids I shot...

Storytime....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8VyACRHlg

Dark Chest of Wonders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IT3O7MaAuo

I Want My Tears Back(phone died during this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HN9t-Le_OI

Not the best quality by a long shot.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #810 on: October 04, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »
Tarja Turunen has now announced in a Finnish toiletpaper that she is willing to return to the band. (Source: https://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/2012100316156051_ps.shtml (warning: in Finnish)) Her only demand is that all the band members and the management of the band need to be replaced. So it's not likely to happen as long as Tuomas Holopainen remains in control of the band.

I hate that paper. But actually pretty good one from Tarja. That's right for the nosey tabloids.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #811 on: October 04, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »
It was really dumb of them to even ask whether she would be open to coming back to Nightwish.  I mean, I get that it's an obvious question on the minds of some fans.  But it's a dumb question to ask HER.  She was fired.  What's she going to say?  She absolutely 100 times out of 100 has to say she has no plans to at this time, because it is 100% not up to her, even aside from the fact that she was dumped in a very acrimonious way. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #812 on: October 04, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
So I watched the video of Amaranth and was let down.

On 99% of the song she was great, but my favorite part is the ending where Annette did the lead vocals over the chorus. I was always let down with Annette here cause she skipped out on the high note. And Floor just sings the chorus again and not the lead part.

This is probably because of how new she is to it, but it's also sadly not something that will likely be fixed by the time I see them. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #813 on: October 05, 2012, 07:13:54 AM »
Now I'm just getting upset with myself. I know Floor is a fantastic vocalist, and all of you seem to be really digging these videos (specifically Storytime/Amaranth), and I think it sounds awful. It barely sounds like she is hitting some of the notes (absolutely no power, she sounds very strained on "every memory" during the chorus of Storytime).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #814 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »
Where the hell have I been this last week!?

Really weird news. I thought Anette would be their last vocalist! And while having Floor ready in the wings is a little suspect, I'm surprised Anette took issue with the show continuing without her. Wonder if there's a little more to it than we're seeing, sure we've not heard the last of this - but, either way. Love Floor Jansen. Not seen her singing the Nightwish stuff yet, but I'm sure she'll be great. Didn't have the problems with Anette that lots of other people seemed to, think she was quite good - and sure, she was a little shaky live, but she filled the room when I saw them on her first tour, and in fairness, Tarja was pretty tremulous on End of an Era. Perfectly good successor, and I liked that she brought something very different to the band. Helped them grow in different ways.

Still! She'll be as missed as Tarja by me. Cool singer. Giving way, once again, to another cool singer.

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #815 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
Imaginaerium is a fine cd and Anette's work on it was genius.  I find the whole "yay Floor" sentiment strange when watching her performances cos of how well Anette recorded and comparing the performances(don't really know Floor's work). There seems to be a lot of scapegoating going on and not enough accounting of what Anette contributed. I do not feel comfortable with the bands treatment of her or Tarja. This promoting of Floor as some mega babe seems like  over compensation thing; of Anette as a evil untalented diva a projection thing.

It was good of Tarja to speak up because Anette is getting hammered and treated like an afterthought or irrelevance; but I am amazed that people think she's breathlessly waiting to rejoin Nightwish  (after her own you can't quit cos you're fired situation and this recent evidence that nothing has changed). I'd actually prefer it if Nightwish had an Ayreon situation rather than witness this strangely recurring scenario again. Floor seems capable of navigating the Nightwish minefield though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: October 05, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
Imaginaerium is a fine cd and Anette's work on it was genius.  I find the whole "yay Floor" sentiment strange when watching her performances cos of how well Anette recorded and comparing the performances(don't really know Floor's work). There seems to be a lot of scapegoating going on and not enough accounting of what Anette contributed. I do not feel comfortable with the bands treatment of her or Tarja.

I wouldn’t call Anette’s work ‘genius’ but I haven’t seen anyone here disparage her work on the albums. The criticisms people had were on how she performed live. And maybe people are gushing over Floor a bit too much (including myself) but some of that is due to the guys being able to find a solid replacement and continue with the tour instead of having to cancel.

And regards to the ‘bands treatment of her…’ she quit. How did they treat her inappropriately?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #817 on: October 05, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
Well... I'm gushing over Floor because I love her voice.  And she's pretty easy on the eyes.  And I'm very glad she's back to touring after her illness stopped her from performing for a while.  I liked Annette for both albums (yes, BOTH).  Not sure I'd want Floor as a permanent replacement, as I don't think it would be a good long-term fit for Tuomas and his .... personality.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #818 on: October 05, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »
I just saw a video of the Portland OR show and she sounded way better than in SF, from what I could tell.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #819 on: October 05, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »
Her voice doesn't come across videos too well. I bet she sounds great being at the show
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #820 on: October 05, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »
Here's a good video of her singing Song of Myself, what I thought was the best song of the night....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr1g5xs5-kM

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #821 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:25 AM »
Pretty glowing review of the show at the Warfield:

https://spinningplatters.com/2012/10/05/show-review-nightwish-with-kamelot-at-the-warfield-1032012/

One of the most difficult challenges that can face a band is the task of replacing their lead singer, since they are often one of the most important elements of the band’s sound, as well as one of the most recognizable faces in the group. When said band performs a genre of music as complex as symphonic heavy metal, that task becomes even more Herculean, especially when said vocalist possesses an incredible range, classical training, and a truly operatic quality to their voice — and such was the case in 2005, when Finnish band Nightwish were searching for someone to fill the shoes of signature siren Tarja Turunen. Two years later, soubrette soprano Anette Olzon took up the reigns, and remained with the quartet for half a decade. Halfway through their fall 2012 tour, however, a sudden hospitalization was the straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back for Olzon’s position with Nightwish, and former After Forever vocalist Floor Jansen was summoned with barely a moment’s notice to spare. What the band may have planned after their Imaginaerum tour is still unknown, but Jansen has risen magnificently to the challenge before her, and if the band’s performance at the Warfield was any indication, she may remain with the group for a long time yet.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #822 on: October 06, 2012, 06:12:12 AM »
Last ride of the day, Warfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEwd-2pXqy8
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #823 on: October 06, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »
Last ride of the day, Warfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEwd-2pXqy8

That may be the first time in Nightwish history that a lead vocalist are doin the windmill!  :lol :rollin :metal

Am i wrong?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #824 on: October 06, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
Just saw the live videos with the After Forever girl. She has a nice voice, but I think she was having a hard time getting in pitch.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: October 06, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #826 on: October 06, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
Standing outside the venue now. Already saw nightwwish walk out and tour the city. Floor is freakin tall!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #827 on: October 06, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
Standing outside the venue now. Already saw nightwwish walk out and tour the city. Floor is freakin tall!

I couldn't get an accurate judgement from where I was at, how tall do did she seem?

Online Adami

« Reply #828 on: October 06, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »

I couldn't get an accurate judgement from where I was at, how tall do did she seem?

Pretty close to my height.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: October 06, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
I bet she looks like a giant next to empu

Online Adami

« Reply #830 on: October 06, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
Kamelot just pulled up. Saw thomas walking around.

Rest of kamelot are walking around now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:35:13 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #831 on: October 06, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »

Pretty close to my height.

Nice, she just seemed to tower over the other guys on stage, enjoy the show bud!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #832 on: October 06, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »
Best part so far, random guy from the venue comes out to ask us if we had seen the drummer for nightwish, apparently they lost him. Also tuamos and jukka not being able.to get in the venue for a minute.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #833 on: October 06, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
Holy god the singer from the agonist just walked past me and I had to keep my jaw from hitting the floor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #834 on: October 06, 2012, 03:48:28 PM »
Holy god the singer from the agonist just walked past me and I had to keep my jaw from hitting the floor.

Yeah she's pretty hot.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: October 06, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
Dark Chest of Wonders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVKO1JwlKf0

Scaretale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ34zhY7Lk0&feature=relmfu

These are in 1080p, sounds good, and damn Floor looks good.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:17:47 PM by cramx3 »

Online Adami

« Reply #836 on: October 06, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »
Kamelot is soud checking karma right now. Tommy sounds great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
Kamelot puts on a great job, Tommy does a great job. Enjoy.  :corn

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #838 on: October 06, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »
No videos of Dead to the World
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #839 on: October 06, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
The long ass rant I had when I found out about Anette being out of the band on Page 21

I know it's a past post, but it needs to be said. I'm sorry I flew off the handle. Being arrogant and drunk is no reason to get so testy about people having their respective opinions about Nightwish, their future, Anette, Floor, or otherwise.
I know it's been a while, and I should have addressed this earlier, but like it's said: better late than never.
Adami, I apologize for publicly calling you out on something irrelevant without basis or fact, and in the spirit of the thread, I hope this too shall pass.

IN accordance with the thread, Floor is a good replacement. I like her.
Tommy sounds great in Kamelot as well. Look froward to Silverthorn.