Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318213 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #770 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »
I wish they would as well.  I am obviously not in a position to accurately crunch the numbers, but I would think that even for smaller bands, it would be more lucrative and they would make more money selling soundboard "bootlegs" than doing actual live albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #771 on: October 02, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #772 on: October 03, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »
No reunion happening (not that I imagined one would happen) - Ilta-Sanomat asked Tarja about this situation and her answer was: "I didn't know about this at all and I'm not interested. Good luck to both parties."

This article made me facepalm mentally. We all now that Tarja does not care, they just wanted to perform some clickwhoring.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #773 on: October 03, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
Okay so I feel a super group forming soon.

Annette and Tarja on Vocals.
Mike Portnoy on Drums.
Timo Tolki on Guitars.

Any contenders for bass?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #774 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »
JM of course. And he still won't talk to MP.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #775 on: October 03, 2012, 01:19:31 AM »
JM of course. And he still won't talk to MP.

Come on man, notice the trend!

They all have to have left their band (or got fired) and also thought the band needed them to survive.

JM doesn't fit that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #776 on: October 03, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
But what if he tackles Mangini?

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #777 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:32 AM »
Geoff Tate should join them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #778 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:17 AM »
Geoff Tate on bass. He probably thinks he's the bestest best bass player anyway.

Wishavarius Featuring Geoff Tate the Original Bass

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #779 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:58 AM »
Roger Waters, anyone? Perfect contender, methinks.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #780 on: October 03, 2012, 03:58:02 AM »
Floor Jansen is awesome. She's also so damn hot that it's impossible for me to to listen to After Forever without having an erection through the roof.

I really hope she becomes a permanent member.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #781 on: October 03, 2012, 06:29:29 AM »

You mean like the one you have?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #782 on: October 03, 2012, 07:00:25 AM »

You mean like the one you have?
Not sure I follow you.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »
Michael Anthony on bass and back up vocals.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #784 on: October 03, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »
No reunion happening (not that I imagined one would happen) - Ilta-Sanomat asked Tarja about this situation and her answer was: "I didn't know about this at all and I'm not interested. Good luck to both parties."

This article made me facepalm mentally. We all now that Tarja does not care, they just wanted to perform some clickwhoring.
Yeah, I did facepalm mentally as well. It's like every time something dramatic happens in the NW camp, the tabloids have to ask Tarja's view on the situation. ::)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #785 on: October 03, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #786 on: October 03, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »
I HATE how it just cuts from the middle of one song to the middle of the next!  But a cool thing is that you get to hear/see samples from throughout the set.  Looks like Floor is still trying to get her feet under herself in a new band environment, and she seems just a bit shaky early in the set.  But things really seem to step up as the show progresses.  No doubt she just needs time to get really comfortable with the band and the songs, but I think she's doing GREAT considering this is only her second show with them and she didn't get the benefit of pre-tour rehearsals that a singer would normally get with her band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #787 on: October 03, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
A friend of mine that saw Nightwish a few weeks ago dropped by a little while ago.  He asked me if I'd seen this video, yet, then told me one thing was clear, she's way better than Anette.  He was not impressed with Anette at ProgPower, and I've already been getting him into After Forever, recently.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #788 on: October 03, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »
I really don't like how she sounds on a couple songs  :'( Storytime and Amaranth still just doesn't sound good at all (to me). It only sounded right with Anette. I actually think Amaranth sounds terrible :(

I'm very open to Floor, but I guess I will just need to get used to her (and of course, I am sure the songs I have issues with will greatly improve as she spends more time on tour and with the band).

Believe it or not, I actually preferred Anette's take on the older songs (I'm probably alone with that).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #789 on: October 03, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »
I really don't like how she sounds on a couple songs  :'( Storytime and Amaranth still just doesn't sound good at all (to me). It only sounded right with Anette. I actually think Amaranth sounds terrible :(

I'm very open to Floor, but I guess I will just need to get used to her (and of course, I am sure the songs I have issues with will greatly improve as she spends more time on tour and with the band).

Believe it or not, I actually preferred Anette's take on the older songs (I'm probably alone with that).

Your not, I loved the way she annunciates certain words, like in Wish I Had An Angel I really love how she says Heart.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #790 on: October 03, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
I was at the show last night in Portland and I agree that Floor got better and more relaxed as the night went on. Right away you could tell that she was a fantastic singer and could handle both Tarja and Anette songs with ease. I started to really miss Anette though during Amaranth because her energy and spunk made that such a fun song. It wasn't until Scaretale where Floor got to really show off her range and her theatrical side, and I think the audience was totally behind her after that song.
She also had really good stage presence and excellent headbanging skills  :metal And she didn't seem to be the least bit nervous or unprepared; she didn't forget a single word of the lyrics and she never relied on notes. The other band members were smiling a lot during the show so there was obvious chemistry on stage. I couldn't believe that this was only their 2nd show together. It makes me wonder if Nightwish has always had an understudy that could fill in at a moment's notice so they never have to cancel a gig, or if Floor has known for weeks that there has been drama in the band regarding Anette.
I will say that the show had perhaps the biggest encore tease I've ever seen. The band took the bow and left the stage, with the lights still off and the Imaginaerum instrumental playing for several minutes, with the crowd cheering, stomping, chanting, etc, so it was a bit of a letdown when they never returned. I wonder if this is how they've ended every show this tour.
I will miss Anette because her voice had so much personality and beauty, but if Floor is to be the permanent replacement, I don't think too many people will complain.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #791 on: October 03, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »

I suspect you indeed are. 

As far as the newer stuff, I can understand how strange it sounds with someone different.  And, granted, Floor sounds a bit rough and unrehearsed, which is natural because...well, she's pretty unrehearsed.  :lol  But as has been said quite a few times, while Anette may have sounded good on the studio performances of the songs on the last two albums, I haven't really heard any live performances where she sounded very good at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #792 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
I couldn't believe that this was only their 2nd show together. It makes me wonder if Nightwish has always had an understudy that could fill in at a moment's notice so they never have to cancel a gig, or if Floor has known for weeks that there has been drama in the band regarding Anette.

Obviously, it's possible that she's been preparing for awhile.  But, although I might be naive, I think she just knows the songs.  She's obviously been close to the band and has performed some of their material before, so I think she's just very familiar with their material to begin with.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: October 03, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
I will say that the show had perhaps the biggest encore tease I've ever seen. The band took the bow and left the stage, with the lights still off and the Imaginaerum instrumental playing for several minutes, with the crowd cheering, stomping, chanting, etc, so it was a bit of a letdown when they never returned. I wonder if this is how they've ended every show this tour.

Same with Seattle. Beyond annoying.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #794 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
OK, tickets purchased, now to see if I can get there early enough to get front row.

Guess I better listen to some of their stuff, huh?

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #795 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
No but they are even fewer now. I kind of wish other bands would do like Metallica and monetize that. It's also a great fan-service but I can see how it may not be so profitable for low-profile bands and hurt them for their actual live albums.

I wish other bands would do it as well.  However, it works best when you vary your setlist from night to night, which is what Metallica has done beginning with the St. Anger tour.  When the setlist remains the same night after night, it is pretty much a keepsake for those who attend, but there is very little interest to get more than one show.  I remember Pearl Jam released a slew of live shows from the late 90's and early 2000's and they were all quite different. 

Actually, that's something I'd love to see DT do, particularly if they go back to having more variance in their setlists (as opposed to the A & B sets they've done on this tour).   
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #796 on: October 03, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
Actually, that's something I'd love to see DT do, particularly if they go back to having more variance in their setlists (as opposed to the A & B sets they've done on this tour).
At least in special occasions where there is variance.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #797 on: October 03, 2012, 08:52:44 PM »
Hey bosk1, got the same seats we had for DT!!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #798 on: October 04, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »
OK, in all seriousness, that was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Fucking amazing. :hefdaddy

Offline Ruba

« Reply #799 on: October 04, 2012, 01:59:02 AM »
Dead to the World sounded good, but I want to see Tapio Wilska as the new Nightwish vocalist  :biggrin:.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #800 on: October 04, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
OK, in all seriousness, that was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Fucking amazing. :hefdaddy
What did we tell you? ;D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #801 on: October 04, 2012, 02:22:58 AM »
Big thanks to everyone here and elsewhere for convincing me. I think it was when Nem told me that Floor was the singer that pushed me over the edge. Such an incredible performance, and one of the most electric audiences I have ever seen in SF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #802 on: October 04, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »
Big thanks to everyone here and elsewhere for convincing me. I think it was when Nem told me that Floor was the singer that pushed me over the edge. Such an incredible performance, and one of the most electric audiences I have ever seen in SF.

You be welcome.  And I'll be forever envious - and kicking myself until the end of time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zukuduku

« Reply #803 on: October 04, 2012, 08:33:43 AM »
Tarja Turunen has now announced in a Finnish newspaper that she is willing to return to the band. (Source: https://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/2012100316156051_ps.shtml (warning: in Finnish)) Her only demand is that all the band members and the management of the band need to be replaced. So it's not likely to happen as long as Tuomas Holopainen remains in control of the band.

More seriously, I'm really anxiously waiting for Nightwish to play in my city. Still half a year before it happens, though. Floor Jansen just sounds like a perfect match to the band so I hope this will be a permanent solution.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #804 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »
Hey bosk1, got the same seats we had for DT!!!!

:biggrin:  Nice!  :tup

Man, I really wish it had been any other night.  Would have loved to have gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVKO1JwlKf0

YEAH!