Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318264 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #700 on: October 01, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »
Ok......Floor Jansen needs to be the new permanent Nightwish singer....she can sing ANY song from the band's catalog!! Here is a video of her range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDSyesik2Us

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #701 on: October 01, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
Crazy, but that's life. Floor seems like a perfect fit.
I love Floor's singing, but I just don't know if she's the right vocal fit for Nightwish.  She's a far better fit for the Tarja material than Anette ever was, but she's still not Tarja.  More versatile than Tarja, absolutely.  Tarja did what she did and excelled at it, though, not sure Floor can live up to that kind of focus on a style.  However, she's a great fit to move in and out of the Tarja and Anette material because of that versatility.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #702 on: October 01, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »
Honestly, I don't get Anette's view that it was somehow wrong for the band to carry on without her the other night.  Tarja was with the band from day 1, and many a fan considered her the voice and face of the band.  Even though she turned out to be mistaken, I can understand her growing into thinking that Nightwish revolved around her.  But Anette?  No way.  How could she be so naive as to think the band shouldn't somehow find a way to carry on rather than cancel a show when she suddenly fell ill?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: October 01, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
God dammit. I was supposed to see them in 11 days. :(
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #704 on: October 01, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
Honestly, I don't get Anette's view that it was somehow wrong for the band to carry on without her the other night.  Tarja was with the band from day 1, and many a fan considered her the voice and face of the band.  Even though she turned out to be mistaken, I can understand her growing into thinking that Nightwish revolved around her.  But Anette?  No way.  How could she be so naive as to think the band shouldn't somehow find a way to carry on rather than cancel a show when she suddenly fell ill?

She tried to do a show, but couldn't quite do it. She probably felt unsure about continuing giving fans a not so great performance, plus her cyst might be causing problems off stage. Her health is most important and maybe asked the band to cancel the remaining dates, band said no so she got upset.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #705 on: October 01, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »
None of that justifies her objection to the band going on with replacement vocalists.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #706 on: October 01, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »
God dammit. I was supposed to see them in 11 days. :(
...so you're going to sell your tickets because, why?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: October 01, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
I hadn't bought the tickets yet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #708 on: October 01, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »
Given that Floor Jansen will be fronting them, I would get on that right away if I were you.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #709 on: October 01, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »
Why not still go, then?  It'll probably be a much better show with Floor.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #710 on: October 01, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
I watched The Island from Denver and damn that was heartfelt, especially the when the audience sang.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #711 on: October 01, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
Okay, some formal thoughts other than "Oh happy day".

I think Annette was terrific on the CD's. However live she was just awful. Every single youtube clip, and every single time I saw her live it was just mediocre at best and terrible at worst. Also the fact that she isn't able to play most of the old material was annoying.

Now, I hope Tarja does NOT come back. Her voice is getting pretty bland as well, since she seems to lack any control live.

Floor as a fill in? Well I am going to go out of my way to catch a show in California if I can for no other reason that seeing Floor front the band.

Now, Annette was pissed because the band went on stage and didn't cancel to preserve the image of the band? Such is life kiddo.

Annette is not the band, if anything Tuamos is the band. Nightwish are a pro band and the show must go on. She's sick? Get a fill in. Marco's sick? Get a fill in. etc etc. She is just a (formerly) pretty face to front them Tuomases vision.

So I hope the next singer has more variety in style that Annette did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #712 on: October 01, 2012, 11:36:53 PM »
I don't think any reasonable fan of the band will be able to accept a new singer after they've seen Floor live seeing how she's leagues above Tarja and Annette put together.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #713 on: October 01, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »
Can't really say I'm surprised or disappointed.  I saw them live both with Tarja and Anette and Tarja completely blew her away.  Yeah, maybe she was arrogant onstage, and perhaps even backstage with the band, but she put on a stellar performance and owned the crowd with her voice.  Anette's voice and stage presence was always rather weak and her more straight forward rock-style approach to singing was very at odds with the operatic/symphonic style of the band, and lacked the grandeur and proper classical training to front a band with a sound as vast and epic as Nightwish.  Not to mention that by picking a singer who sounded radically different from their previous one, Nightwish alienated a lot of their fanbase by being unable to perform certain songs live while drastically altering the sound of other classics.  I do feel a bit sorry for Anette, because it always sucks to be fired like this, and she seemed like a decent enough person, but truth be told, she never should have been in the band to begin with.  That is not her fault at all; that lapse in judgment lies squarely on the shoulders of Toumas and the guys for not selecting a singer with a voice more compatible with their back catalouge and their existent fanbase.

Online Adami

« Reply #714 on: October 01, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
Ok......Floor Jansen needs to be the new permanent Nightwish singer....she can sing ANY song from the band's catalog!! Here is a video of her range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDSyesik2Us

Man, I wish they picked more than just the first 2 AF albums when she was still not amazing and still pretty generic.

However the AF albums after Mark quit her rock voice is just unbeatable. The fact that she can sing as tough (not raspy) as Russell Allen and then do Opera that blows Tarja away the next minute makes her the best in this genre.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #715 on: October 01, 2012, 11:42:42 PM »
I still get completely awestruck by her performance on their new song Sins. 2:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0E3xREwliI

She makes it looks so effortless and easy, doesn't break a sweat. Floor is like a female, classically trained Devin Townsend.

Online Adami

« Reply #716 on: October 01, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »
Few other thoughts I just had.

How long has Floor known she might be a fill in? I mean there's no way she could learn the entire set in what...3 days or something? She must have been preparing for a little while. Hmm.

Also, I hope they take advantage of her voice and play Phantom of the Opera or something.....even though they won't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: October 02, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »

Because it's a 6 hour drive and I'm not gonna make a two-day trip out of what is essentially a novelty show.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #718 on: October 02, 2012, 01:08:48 AM »
Whoa.

I liked Anette, although not as much as I did Tarja. I don't really care about the new, more symphonic Nightwish, so I'll hope that whoever the replacement will be, they'd return to the Oceanborn style.

Which will not happen.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #719 on: October 02, 2012, 03:18:46 AM »
The fact that she can sing as tough (not raspy) as Russell Allen and then do Opera that blows Tarja away the next minute makes her the best in this genre.
I gotta say, I saw many fans post "well they got some replacement singer" and it made me giggle out loud. I'm not into symphonic metal but even I know who Floor Jansen is, because she's badass. Maybe they need to listen to bands other than Nightwish, though I'm sure for some that's a hard concept to grasp. Or, you know, google their supposedly favorite band's replacement vocalist before posting comments on the internet.

tl;dr Things that make Milena sad - Knowledge is so readily available and no one wants to inform themselves.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #720 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:59 AM »
Alright. The fact that Anette is out of the the band has finally sunk in. Given all that has occurred here on DTF, it's has not been easy. I've been a fan of Nightwish since their Century Child years, I went through the breakup, and now I have to go through it again. I hear a lot of prejudice against Anette, and I will admit that some it has come from me. Nontheless, I am sick and tired of hearing and reading about it.

Sure, Anette was not a perfect fit. She could not sing all the songs you 'fans' wanted to hear during their shows, but you know what? The band chose her for a reason. They thought it a good fit for the music their wanted to make, and, you know what, they made two damn good albums because of it. Dark Passion Play had a lot of animosity against Tarja and her husband, especially on Bye Bye Beautiful and Master Passion Greed, but I'm willing to overlook that. Their music was fucking beautiful. Sometimes an artist needs to let out the emotion so his true art flows smoothly. Such is the way with DPP and Imaginaerum, and the latter was fucking amazing.

I don't care who sings on the next album, tour, or whatever. The fact that you deem it fit to bash someone the moment they are out of a band if disgraceful and disrespectful. Last time I heard, DTF was a place to present a proper and insightful response to what was happening in the world, whether it was with Dream Theater or otherwise. Bosk1 represents this properly, and that's the only reference I'm using as far as I'm concerned. Neutral and objective, I always respect him. As far as anyone else is concerned *cough*Adami*cough*, keep living in the past and wishing that Tarja will come back. I'm sure it will happen 'someday'. As for everyone else, it isn't going to happen! The cuts are too deep and the damage is done. Maybe, in an alternate universe, Tarja would rejoin, but until we make like Dr. Who and get a Tardis, stop pretending!

I thought this was a progressive board, but so far I'm not feeling the progressive status that it should. Progression, to me, means thinking in a forward motion. I like the talk that we have about Floor joining, but that's about all the silver lining I'm seeing. I still feel there is waaay too much spiteful talk towards Anette. So, as far as I'm concerned, until people start appreciating Nightwish for NIGHTWISH, stick to doing what you do best and talk about Dream Theater. If I get banned, then I don't give a fuck.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #721 on: October 02, 2012, 07:16:25 AM »
Fu... I'm absolutely devastated that Anette is gone! I really loved her with Nightwish... So thankful I was able to see them in Columbus. Please let this not affect the movie's release date...

Also, I just listened to Floor, and I am, we'll, not floored. I hoped that the operatic style was gone forever from Nightwish.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #722 on: October 02, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »
No reunion happening (not that I imagined one would happen) - Ilta-Sanomat asked Tarja about this situation and her answer was: "I didn't know about this at all and I'm not interested. Good luck to both parties."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #723 on: October 02, 2012, 07:41:53 AM »
@ThroughHerEyeysDude/: Calm down. :lol. Seeing them part ways gives some optimism to people, oh no.  That's not bashing or living in the past, and how can you go after Adami wanting Tarja back when just a few post earlier he said just the opposite?

Because it's a 6 hour drive and I'm not gonna make a two-day trip out of what is essentially a novelty show.
How is this what takes them to a novelty?  Nightwish isn't one person (except maybe Tuomas).  ...and even if you want to call them a novelty, so what?  Floor Jansen is out front, After Forever was a much better show than Nightwish was with Anette.  She's not just some unknown fill in, she's big in symphonic metal.  That's largely earned by her singing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #724 on: October 02, 2012, 07:48:18 AM »
Portnoy posting from Throughhereyesdude6's account.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #725 on: October 02, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »

Also, I just listened to Floor, and I am, we'll, not floored. I hoped that the operatic style was gone forever from Nightwish.
Floor is not an operatic/classical singer the way Tarja is.  Floor is more of a chameleon, a powerful one.  Were she a replacement permanently I would expect new Nightwish to fall between a Once and DPP sound vocally.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #726 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:39 AM »
^ But will she be able to do the "poppier" stuff like Storytime?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #727 on: October 02, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »
How long has Floor known she might be a fill in? I mean there's no way she could learn the entire set in what...3 days or something? She must have been preparing for a little while. Hmm.

I saw an article yesterday that speculated that this must have been on the works for awhile.  While it makes sense, I'm not entirely sure that it necessarily had to have been planned way in advance.  I'm pretty sure she's been a friend and fan of the band for a long time.  She probably knows a lot of their material inside out without even having to prep.  If Nightwish were some obscure band that she had maybe heard once or twice, that would be a different story. 

The fact that you deem it fit to bash someone the moment they are out of a band if disgraceful and disrespectful...   

???  I haven't gone back and re-read every post, but I'm not sure I saw any real "bashing" going on.  Adami obviously has a more extreme reaction to Anette than most on the forum, but from what I have seen, his criticism has been pretty limited to pointing out that her live performances that he has seen have consistently been sub-par.  Honestly, I don't think anyone can really take issue with that.  Most of what I have seen really hasn't been very good either.  I've tried to be supportive of Anette in the band, but her live performances almost always seem to be very pitchy.  So I certainly don't see anything wrong with people pointing that out.  If you think some posts have crossed the line, by all means report them and we will take a close look to make sure people are following the rules in how they post.  But nothing has jumped out at me as blatantly crossing the line.  Sorry if you disagree.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:32:57 AM by bosk1 »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: October 02, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »
You're asking can an accomplished, trained singer do stuff like Storytime. Dude, no offense, but I could do Storytime :rollin I'd say the more drastic change was Anette tackling the older, dramatic, operatic songs and not the other way around. This woman can sing everything; she'll do fine.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #729 on: October 02, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
Wow, I also have to say that after watching some clips of Floor with Revamp, she just KILLS it live.  She not only can sing, but she's got great stage presence as well.  I remember checking out some After Forever clips years ago and not being very impressed.  I mean, her singing was great.  But the band as a whole didn't really do much for me.  But these Revamp clips from Graspop 2010 that I've been watching are just amazing.  She's incredibly dynamic and completely controls the stage.  She should definitely take the Nightwish live show up a notch on this tour.  Man, I wish I could see them!

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #730 on: October 02, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »
Wow, I also have to say that after watching some clips of Floor with Revamp, she just KILLS it live.  She not only can sing, but she's got great stage presence as well.  I remember checking out some After Forever clips years ago and not being very impressed.  I mean, her singing was great.  But the band as a whole didn't really do much for me.  But these Revamp clips from Graspop 2010 that I've been watching are just amazing.  She's incredibly dynamic and completely controls the stage.  She should definitely take the Nightwish live show up a notch on this tour.  Man, I wish I could see them!

Here's a thought.  Listen to me when I say someone is awesome.  I'm rarely wrong, you know.  :hearts:
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #731 on: October 02, 2012, 08:45:38 AM »
You're asking can an accomplished, trained singer do stuff like Storytime. Dude, no offense, but I could do Storytime :rollin I'd say the more drastic change was Anette tackling the older, dramatic, operatic songs and not the other way around. This woman can sing everything; she'll do fine.

I wasn't referring to talent, simply style. Tarja would've sounded awful on Imaginaerum if the songs had stayed the same. Can anyone refer me to videos of Floor doing a non-operatic style?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #732 on: October 02, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »
Give me a little, but Floor is very versatile in singing styles, opera is not her primary method.  ...I'm not sure any particular style is.  She can do a pop style.

Single with her more rock style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjm4BrNAf6s&feature=share&list=LP_iGde3dLR9w
Nice compilation of her versatility: https://youtu.be/D2gYGVR7s_8

...and I would like to repeat she was amazing live.  She twirled her hair a lot during breaks, but that was my only complaint.  Made me dizzy. :lol
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:05:28 AM by yorost »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: October 02, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
I wasn't referring to talent, simply style. Tarja would've sounded awful on Imaginaerum if the songs had stayed the same. Can anyone refer me to videos of Floor doing a non-operatic style?
Sorry if my response was a bit douchey and vague :/ it's just that, I haven't heard of any operatic singer who couldn't sing clean well enough to tackle Storytime-ish stuff. It just seems inconceivable to me.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #734 on: October 02, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
I'm no expert and appreciate your point, but you also have to consider that Tarja's style is likely ingrained into her.  Speaking broadly, when you develop an expert skill set it sometimes becomes difficult to step down into a simpler form.  Not being an expert in singing, it wouldn't surprise me if Tarja had a hard time 'hiding' her opera skill.  Maybe that's wrong, but it feels true.