Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318088 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #665 on: September 29, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »
I have no idea, but glad to know the other female vocals stepped up. Glad to see that then canceling the entire night.

Sounds like it was an interesting concert. Hopefully some YouTube videos show up.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #666 on: September 29, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
Based on the two (very low quality) youtubes clips of it that I've seen, they sounded a lot better than Annette.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ruba

« Reply #667 on: September 30, 2012, 05:59:11 AM »
Update for Anette's condition. She's alright and hopefully can be onstage in a few days.

https://www.bravewords.com/news/191051

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #668 on: September 30, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »
Olzon has since posted a message on her official blog, stating, "I am so sorry that I couldn't be on stage yesterday in Denver. I got very ill the night before and first went to the ER in the morning and [was] there for five hours before they released me with some painkillers and thought it was a kidney stone. Unfortunately, I got worse at 7 in the evening and started vomitting heavily and my fever rised. After talking to the hospital, they said I should cancel the show and come straight back in to the ER. I was there all night and I was very dehydrated so they gave me 2 litres of fluid though an IV, they did blood tests, ultrasounds on my kidneys and finally a CT scan. These tests didn't show why I was so ill, but probably the stomach pain has a connection with me having the flu or just stress. They did find something else, though, and for that I'm grateful. If I didn't do the scan, I wouldn't know there's a big cyst in my liver and I need to go check it out [as soon as possible] at home.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=180109

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #669 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »
So a few better quality vids have come out of the show. I'm pretty sure the chick from Amaranthe is singing on them and holy crap is she blowing Annette out of the water.

Still hoping to see how the hot american chick sounded.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: September 30, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »
So a few better quality vids have come out of the show. I'm pretty sure the chick from Amaranthe is singing on them and holy crap is she blowing Annette out of the water.

I really like Elyse (spelling?) from Amaranthe.  In fact, I really like Amaranthe although thier songs sound the same.

Online Adami

« Reply #671 on: September 30, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »

I really like Elyse (spelling?) from Amaranthe.  In fact, I really like Amaranthe although thier songs sound the same.

Yea, that seems to be the problem with much of the Nightwish copies out there. They all write the same pop/metal songs with no real authenticity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #672 on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »
So it seems Annette is pretty upset that they played the show with out her.

Mmmmm I like this. Maybe she'll quit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #673 on: September 30, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #674 on: October 01, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
So it seems Annette is pretty upset that they played the show with out her.

Mmmmm I like this. Maybe she'll quit.

She did.

Press statement

Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.

Nightwish has no intention of cancelling any upcoming shows, and as a result we have decided to bring in a substitute vocalist starting in Seattle 1.10.2012. Her name is Floor Jansen from The Netherlands (ex-After Forever, ReVamp), and she has graciously stepped in to help us complete the Imaginaerum world tour.

We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone.

We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together.

- NIGHTWISH & Anette Olzon

https://nightwish.com/en/news#2187

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #675 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
I'm interested, Floor Jansen is great.  Not right for Nightwish, but After Forever was a great show.  I'd rather see them go with a nobody that can match Tarja, as a permanent replacement, though.

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #676 on: October 01, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »
Well, they did say that Floor was going to be a substitute so maybe it's not a permanent arrangement.  As for a new singer, maybe Jessica Lehto?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQhutpXbCo

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: October 01, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »
Whoa holy crap! Guess I'll report back after tonight how it goes!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #678 on: October 01, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »
Yeah, Floor just posted it on FB....interesting....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #679 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Whoa.  Didn't see this coming at all.  I'm not really familiar with Floor.  I've heard of her, and I remember checking out some clips awhile back and thinking that she had some good chops, vocally, but the music just didn't do it for me.  I also remember her name being in the laundry list of potential replacements jokingly thrown out there by Tuomas when they were first working on DPP and fans were speculating about who the new vocalist would be.  Let the speculation on the long-term permanent replacement begin!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #680 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
Anette quit? Whoah.  :|
Didn't see that one coming.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #681 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Well, this is pretty epic:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jaNRbDo8U

If Nightwish can get back to this kind of vocal performance, I'm all for a change.

Suddenly, I wish the S.F. show were on a different night.  I would be interested in going if this worked with my schedule.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #682 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:54 AM »
Let the speculation on the long-term permanent replacement begin!
Yup, another two years of speculation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #683 on: October 01, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »
Really?  They're speeding up their album release cycle?

Online Adami

« Reply #684 on: October 01, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #685 on: October 01, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Whaaaat?! :o While I haven't followed NW in some time (I did listen to Imaginaerum when it came out) and don't really call myself a fan anymore, I did read about the substitute singer thing and how Anette became upset about it. What I'm surprised about is the way she quit in the middle of a tour - it gives me the impression it was a bit of a hasty decision and she'll regret it later. But who knows, there might've been growing tension inside the band that built up to this point, not to mention the constant Tarja comprarisons made by upset fanboys?

I understand that it may seem like a sign of lack of trust when your band mates get someone to substitute you, but as far as I heard, the band were at the venue already when Anette was taken to the hospital and there must've been a certain pressure not to cancel the show, especially a sold out one when the crowd are already there. Of course they should've asked or at least informed her about the decision but maybe she couldn't be reached.

My cousin knows Sami Vänskä (the ex-bassist of NW) personally and according to him, Sami didn't like the lack of communication related to his firing (their manager told him he was let go). The same thing happened with Tarja with the open letter and I think it has something to do with this situation as well. Being a Finn myself, I know we aren't the best to admit problems or talk about them, but I seriously think the guys in the band need to do something if they don't want to have a revolving door of singers.

I did like Anette's voice and, hate me if you want, I preferred the tone of her voice to Tarja's. While Tarja is extremely talented, the opera style of singing is a bit too much for my taste nowadays, but while Anette doesn't have the most unique voice in the world, her style is more tolerable for me. The Anette haters should also remember that Tarja started singing in a less operatic way on Century Child as Tuomas started to lose his interest in the operatic stuff and it was a natural continuation to hire a singer with a different kind of voice. And if we go back to the very beginning, Tuomas didn't even plan on hiring an opera singer, but Tarja happened to be one and that's what they went with.

The reason I'm not really a fan of NW anymore is that my taste has moved on and away from this mega-bombastic symphonic metal - the orchestrations sound nice but it feels like they're just meant to cover the weaknesses of the songwriting. I vaguely recall Tuomas saying that they will try to make the next album different as they've kind of hit the roof in terms of epicness and I hope that's true and this change of singers will further make them focus more on songwriting again, instead of building a huge pseudo-symphony.

Looks like this thing is turning into a media circus here in Finland, just like it did when Tarja was fired! :lol Well, it's natural when something like this happens to the most successful metal band and (active) native band singing in English in the country. Sorry for such a long post but I just wanted to share my 2 cents on this.

Online Adami

« Reply #686 on: October 01, 2012, 10:28:23 AM »
Now I am dying to see them live.

I always thought Floor was the best vocalist in this genre and will try to be in a city where they're playing so I can see them with her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #687 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
As for a new singer, maybe Jessica Lehto? 

I could see that working well.  Very well perhaps.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #688 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
I did like Anette's voice and, hate me if you want, I preferred the tone of her voice to Tarja's. While Tarja is extremely talented, the opera style of singing is a bit too much for my taste nowadays, but while Anette doesn't have the most unique voice in the world, her style is more tolerable for me. The Anette haters should also remember that Tarja started singing in a less operatic way on Century Child as Tuomas started to lose his interest in the operatic stuff and it was a natural continuation to hire a singer with a different kind of voice. And if we go back to the very beginning, Tuomas didn't even plan on hiring an opera singer, but Tarja happened to be one and that's what they went with.
All well discussed and understood parts of the situation, it just doesn't automatically make long time fans like the situation.  ...and Century Child and Once still sound amazing with Tarja, despite Tuomas' direction.  It's not necessarily hate on Annette to prefer to the older Nightwish.  We loved the band and their internal decisions took the band in a direction many weren't that interested in.  Great for some new fans, bad for some old fans.

Looks like this thing is turning into a media circus here in Finland, just like it did when Tarja was fired! :lol Well, it's natural when something like this happens to the most successful metal band and (active) native band singing in English in the country. Sorry for such a long post but I just wanted to share my 2 cents on this.
Is it negative, positive, mixed?  With Tarja's end it was basically negative all over, except from some non-fans who disliked Tarja and didn't care how she was given the boot.  I sort of expect this move to be viewed more positively with fans from Tarja's time like me.  Is that the case in Finland?  I mean , Annette even has people dislike her there for not being Finnish, correct?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #689 on: October 01, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
Let the speculation on the long-term permanent replacement begin!
Mike por.... :blush....i'll just stop there!

Anyway: Holly shit!! That is some crazy news right there...i did not see that coming! I already fear for the future singer who's gonna step in the shoes of both Tarja and Anette and all their rabid fans!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #690 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
Is it negative, positive, mixed?  With Tarja's end it was basically negative all over, except from some non-fans who disliked Tarja and didn't care how she was given the boot.  I sort of expect this move to be viewed more positively with fans from Tarja's time like me.  Is that the case in Finland?  I mean , Annette even has people dislike her there for not being Finnish, correct?
The media are just basically bathing in the controversy right now and making huge headlines. However, there was a poll asking "are you surprised about Anette's decision?" on the websites of both of the biggest two tabloids here and in both the results were roughly 70-30 saying no. I've read a few discussion boards today and it looks like people are mostly indifferent about it, some are happy and just a few seem to be sad. But basically everyone seems to agree that the band have to do something if they want to keep the line-up stable and on one metal forum a lot of people seem curious to see how Floor will sound with NW. We'll see if NW can make the TV news like they did 7 years ago...

EDIT: A lot of speculation about the new singer on forums, some hopeful ones even want Tarja back (which I know will not happen as long as she's married to that manager guy)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:11:08 AM by ? »

Offline adace

« Reply #691 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:59 AM »
DANG, I really liked Anette's work with the band. I even met her in person and got her autograph. This really sucks, but I hope the band will still put quality material with their new singer (please be Tarja). Also hope Anette puts out a solo album.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:21:47 AM by adace »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #692 on: October 01, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Floor has a much stronger reputation out there, so if they did bring her in as their permanent singer, I would think that later letting her go could have some pretty negative backlash for the band.

As for Anette, I never really thought she was the best choice for the band.  I'm not "glad" they got rid of her, but I have to say I am more optimistic about the band with her out.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #693 on: October 01, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »
Didn't see this coming at all. Wow.

I loved Floor Janssen's work in After Forever, and would love to see her stick around in a permanent way.

I feel priveleged to have seen one of NW's last shows with Annette though.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #694 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
Me too. A week ago, if you told me Anette would be out of the band by the end of the month, I would've dismissed it. Now...well, damn.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #695 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49:31 AM »
This sucks--not necessarily because Annette is gone, but because of the way it happened.  It seems very thoughtless to not at least ask or even inform the singer that you're going to go along with the show anyway.  However, to quit the band suggests that there may have been some underlying issues and that this was the breaking point.

However, I really wish I hadn't seen them in Atlanta because I think Floor could really belt out the NW songs.  More than any other band, After Forever really captured the mix of bombastic opera and heavy riffs of classic NW. 

Perhaps this could open up the door with a reunion with Tarja.  But then again, there may be so much bad blood over how the split occurred that it would be impossible.  From what I hear the only way the split could have been more acrimonious would have been if there were lawyers involved.   Once the lawsuits get filed, a reunion is near impossible (Pink Floyd, Styx, Great White). 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #696 on: October 01, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »
I've just read a bit more...So Annette basically was upset that the band played a show without her when she was sick? Obviously she didn't quit right away - She sang the next show, though not at the top of her game. So they kicked her out because of that, or did she quit? Or do we just not know those details?

Honestly if she quit over that...I find that somewhat selfish. Does she think the band should have canceled a sold-out show because of her absence? I know she's the singer...a centerpiece, if you will, but that doesn't mean the rest of the band can't make due and put on a worthwhile show.

Anyway, I don't see Tarja coming back. Their split seemed too bitter.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #697 on: October 01, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
I wonder if this isn't a cover for Anette having the Cyst in her Liver, and decided to stay home since her medical bill probably got expensive.

Crazy, but that's life. Floor seems like a perfect fit.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #698 on: October 01, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
I am in shock......wow. Where the hell do they go from here?? Does Tarja come back? I mean, if they keep switching vocalists, it'll be way too unstable for them. I loved Anette's sound.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #699 on: October 01, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
Didn't she just get a Nightwish tattoo?