Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317986 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »
I always thought that Century Child was more of that change point.  Once sounds way more like DP and Imaginareum than the albums before.  Century Child still has some of that old style with songs like Dead to the World and End of All Hope, but had some songs that were more of what they sound like now such as Phantom of the Opera and Ever Dream.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #631 on: August 09, 2012, 01:24:26 AM »
I always thought that Century Child was more of that change point.  Once sounds way more like DP and Imaginareum than the albums before.  Century Child still has some of that old style with songs like Dead to the World and End of All Hope, but had some songs that were more of what they sound like now such as Phantom of the Opera and Ever Dream.
Yeah - I agree, totally, I'd group Century Child in with that too! That's why I said Column A stopped at Wishmaster. It's part of the same movement, and it's probably a little more balanced than Once, but if Once is H's only reference point I didn't think there was much point telling him how some album he hasn't heard yet is a very good balance between two styles he hasn't heard isolated either. q:

You're right, though, Century Child is the metamorphosis. Probably a Marco thing - male vocals help. Broadly, though, Once still has the operatic passages, the hooks, and the speedy power metal of The Spirit of Nightwish Past, and the mid-tempo orchestral vibe of the later stuff. It's an album written for Tarja, and while it hints at what was yet to come, probably teetering on the brink of the next phase, it still remains in Tarjaville.

Tell me if you're getting any of this, H! Tarja's their original vocalist.

I'd also say that most Nightwish songs have enough of a hook to make them memorable live, even if you've never heard them before. So this might not be entirely surprising from a Nightwish fan, but I say go to the gig!

Rob Webstertonville is correct, mostly.
Genuinely tempted to change my name to that. I'd make a good Webstertonville.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: August 09, 2012, 01:31:20 AM »
Tell me if you're getting any of this

I get what your saying, I mean Once has songs that still have some of that old Nightwish style, but Once was thier real "Operatic" album that changed how they sounded.  Its still a Tarja sounding album, and I think that new style mixed with a bit of that old style and Tarja are what make it my favorite album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #633 on: August 09, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »
Rob, while we're on the subject, tell me what you think of Leaves' Eyes in one of those long, well thought out, articulate posts of yours.  Should I go to the Leaves' Eyes gig coming up?

Okay, yeah, it's completely off topic.  And there is no upcoming Leaves' Eyes gig.  But I've been starving for some Leaves' Eyes discussion for years now, and if I start a thread, it'll fall off the front page so fast that you, the only person on this forum likely to respond, won't even see it.  So...yeah.  :sadpanda:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #634 on: August 09, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »
You may never, under any conditions, see Leaves' Eyes live.

...without giving us a full report. Cool music, brilliant performers. Good band. :hat

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #635 on: August 24, 2012, 10:29:15 AM »
Imaginaerum by Nightwish - The Score samples

Don't know what to expect from this movie i have my doubts unfortunately. I mean i love the music the band creates and i know that Tuomas is a great visionary when it comes to painting pictures with his music but will all that be enough for a full movie? I sure hopes so and it would be so awesome if it becomes a great success both financial and critique wise.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #636 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
I could go for Leaves' Eyes discussion, though I really really prefer pre-Musique Theatre of Tragedy. Liv Kristine is so amazing and talented and pretty. The one thing that I hate about Leaves' Eyes is Alexander. Ughh. But I digress.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #637 on: August 31, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
So, I've had this album for a year or so. Always liked it, never really listened to it too terribly often.

Something clicked this week. I've probably listened to it probably 20 times in the last five days. God DAMN. So good!

Favorite tracks: Damn near all of them. I think the chorus melody from Rest Calm is probably the coolest thing I've heard in a while. So many other great moments though. Ghost River, Slow Love Love, I Want My Tears Back, Scaretale, the Mermaid one that I forget the actual name of...

Only minor complaint: I ended up making an edit of Song Of Myself that took out the Walt Whitman stuff (don't mind it at all, but I know I'd get tired of it eventually). Otherwise, probably the best album I've heard this year. Even though it came out last year. Bah.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #638 on: September 10, 2012, 09:11:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Q_VVyD36o

Awesome children's choir singing Amaranth.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
Only minor complaint: I ended up making an edit of Song Of Myself that took out the Walt Whitman stuff (don't mind it at all, but I know I'd get tired of it eventually). Otherwise, probably the best album I've heard this year. Even though it came out last year. Bah.

You mean the poetry stuff at the end? Honestly that's probably my favorite part of the song. The timing of the words I think coincides perfectly with the music. Might be cheesy to some people, but I like it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #640 on: September 22, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
I just dug out the 5.1 version of Once. I have a brand new surround sound system and this album, already one of my all time faves, sounds stunning.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #641 on: September 22, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
I just dug out the 5.1 version of Once. I have a brand new surround sound system and this album, already one of my all time faves, sounds stunning.

They made a 5.1 of once? Hm, didn't know that. I bet it sounds quite good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: September 22, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Nightwish was really awesome last week. They played the escapist which was a surprise to me.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #643 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »

You mean the poetry stuff at the end? Honestly that's probably my favorite part of the song. The timing of the words I think coincides perfectly with the music. Might be cheesy to some people, but I like it.

It's probably the best "spoken words over music" I've heard in some time.

That said, I don't like the device so much in general. C'est la vie.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #644 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:30 AM »

They made a 5.1 of once? Hm, didn't know that. I bet it sounds quite good.

I think I got it direct from NB, it's long OOP, but I've seen it on ebay.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #645 on: September 26, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »
Just saw Nightwish 2 days ago in Chicago with ThroughHerEyesDude6 and it was amazing! Just like before, every time I see Nightwish, I cannot stop listening to them afterwards. They are just too good! We got the VIP tickets which really enhanced the experience. Got to meet the band and get front row position throughout! One of the BEST live bands around, everyone played top-notch. Cheers to them!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: September 26, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »
Going to see them on Monday!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #647 on: September 26, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
Missed the last night. Don't care since I've seen them live like 4 times or something and they are terrible live with Annete.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #648 on: September 26, 2012, 02:37:52 PM »
Missed the last night. Don't care since I've seen them live like 4 times or something and they are terrible live with Annete.
Not terrible, but not worth paying to see twice.

Online Adami

« Reply #649 on: September 26, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
Not terrible, but not worth paying to see twice.

You're terrible was a bad word. Lazy describes it more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #650 on: September 27, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »

Completely disagree. Respectfully, of course.

Online Adami

« Reply #651 on: September 27, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »

Maybe they rocked your show. But I'm basing my opinion on every single youtube video I've seen plus the 2 or 3 times I've seen them with Annette. She is usually off key, and when she does hit the right note, it's only after hitting the notes above and below it first before settling on the note. She skips the hard stuff.  Tuomas just plays random chords and skips any difficult things he may have had on the record and the singing just sounds lazy on Marco's part.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #652 on: September 27, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »

Maybe they rocked your show. But I'm basing my opinion on every single youtube video I've seen plus the 2 or 3 times I've seen them with Annette. She is usually off key, and when she does hit the right note, it's only after hitting the notes above and below it first before settling on the note. She skips the hard stuff.  Tuomas just plays random chords and skips any difficult things he may have had on the record and the singing just sounds lazy on Marco's part.

She was a little off-key on the DPP tour, no denying that. But this tour, she has really made a great effort and tried really hard and she was spot-on with every single note. I was shocked. Again, every member of the band was just kicking ass this time around.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
They were unbelievable at the new York city show. I know toumos changed the solo in planet hell but I don't recall him not playing anything else. I thought Annette was great too, even on higher than hope.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:34:42 PM by cramx3 »

Online Adami

« Reply #654 on: September 27, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
They were unbelievable at the new York city show. I know toumos changed the solo in planet hell but I don't recall him not playing anything else. I thought Annette was great too, even on higher than hope.

I didn't say he doesn't play anything else. I said he usually skips anything remotely hard and for the most part just holds out chords. He obviously also plays the little piano intros, but very little else other than holding chords.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: September 27, 2012, 04:32:38 PM »
Is that a limitation of the music with the band using more orchestra on the albums?

Online Adami

« Reply #656 on: September 27, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Is that a limitation of the music with the band using more orchestra on the albums?

It is the way he writes. The keyboards almost non existent anymore, which is sad since the main song writer is a god damn keyboardist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #657 on: September 28, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »
I saw them last night; great show, Anette sounded good to me. I was nice and tipsy, singing to every song.

I'm rather pissed though; I had to miss over half of Kamelot's set 'cause the venue decided to start the show while half the audience was still waiting in line outside, myself included.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: September 28, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
That sucks, Kamelot was really good. One thing about the NYC show I didn't mention was that Nightwish didn't play an encore. I think there must have been a timing issue. They seemed to play all the songs just didn't leave the stage and come back out but at the time it was like wtf?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #659 on: September 28, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
That sucks, Kamelot was really good. One thing about the NYC show I didn't mention was that Nightwish didn't play an encore. I think there must have been a timing issue. They seemed to play all the songs just didn't leave the stage and come back out but at the time it was like wtf?

Naa, it wasn't a timing issue. Tuomas said they're not doing encores this tour because they're so cliche.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #660 on: September 28, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
Next tour it'll be back to the cliches again though, right?

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #661 on: September 28, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
I'm barely active on here anymore (school and work  :(), but I wanted to chime in and say Nightwish fucking rocked at the Columbus show last Friday. Amazing concert. Only one that I've been to that even came close to being as enjoyable as Dream Theater.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #662 on: September 28, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »
Yeah I was sorta bummed that there was no encore. But oh well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: September 29, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »
I dont know what happened but here is from the facebook page:

We were in hell today. Vocalist in a hospital. Show about to be cancelled... But nobody gave up an inch. With the help from the ladies Elise and Alyssa from Kamelot we actually managed to pull of a relaxed and great show! The crowd doing the mass karaoke with the band playing was absolutely amazing. We were humbled and grateful at the same time. This is unity and help from friends and fans. Anette is already recovering thanks to the medical staff and whatever powers there exists. The shows will go on. We give our greatest respect to Alyssa, Elise and the crowd in Ogden Theatre, Denver. You rule!!!

I hope Annette is ok

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #664 on: September 29, 2012, 08:25:25 AM »
I have no idea, but glad to know the other female vocals stepped up. Glad to see that then canceling the entire night.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD