Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318041 times)

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #595 on: June 17, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
I like Nightwish too. But The Carpenter? Ehhhhhhh. A horrible song about Jesus. No thanks.

Although I do wish they'd stop essentially ignoring their pre-marco albums live.
I think she just likes the catchiness of it, not the lyrics. In fact, I think she STOPPED singing it because she realized what the lyrics were about! Now she goes around the house whispering, "And suffer like all the dead children"
Or, she'll quietly murmur Master Passion Greed  :-X :P ::)
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Ruba

« Reply #596 on: June 19, 2012, 04:30:47 AM »
The Carpenter is the best song ever made. I listened to it six times in the night.

And Angels Fall First is awesome  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart. Title track was the only OK song, others were great or awesome. Beauty and the Beast, Astral Romance, Tutankhamen, Nymphomanic Fantasia, Know Why the Nightingale Sings and Lappi (Lapland). Sooooo great album! Very close to Century Child.

Oceanborn was clearly weaker, but I think it can be better. Gethsemane, The Devil & the Dark, Deep Sea, Moondance (I thought about women figure skating while listening to it  :D) and The Riddler are very good. Passion and the Opera, The Pharaoh Sails to Orion, Walking in the Air and Sleeping Sun are awesome.

And they're better than Dream Theater or Iron Maiden.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #597 on: June 19, 2012, 04:32:26 AM »
My sister went through  phase when she sang The Carpenter 200x a day, and my mom is always humming Nemo or Amaranth

I have sang it's chorus a lot this morning.

E: I'm going to sing Wait for Sleep on my singing lessons, and I want to sing this also.

How could I dare to think that Finnish heavy metal is horrible?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: June 19, 2012, 05:47:34 AM »
And they're better than Dream Theater or Iron Maiden.

Hey now. No need for that. Nightwish is great but they are no DT or IM in my book.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #599 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:03 AM »
The Carpenter is the best song ever made. I listened to it six times in the night.

And Angels Fall First is awesome  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart. Title track was the only OK song, others were great or awesome. Beauty and the Beast, Astral Romance, Tutankhamen, Nymphomanic Fantasia, Know Why the Nightingale Sings and Lappi (Lapland). Sooooo great album! Very close to Century Child.

Oceanborn was clearly weaker

Every single thing you just said is terrible and wrong, minus the praise for Lapland. Seriously, Angels Fall First is like the only great song on the album, and Oceanborn is their best album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Breaking All Illusions

• "The rebel in us all, someday gets tired of being pushed around"
  • "This is the life we belong to, our gift divine"
« Reply #600 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »
I love Nightwish. They were one of the bands that really got me into metal.
"And at last the time has come to unite again as one, to the power of the earth I'm calling, crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life. Shaman take my hand" John Petrucci(Dream Theater,Bridges In The  Sky, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, 2011)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #601 on: June 20, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »

Oceanborn was clearly weaker

Every single thing you just said is terrible and wrong, minus the praise for Lapland. Seriously, Angels Fall First is like the only great song on the album, and Oceanborn is their best album.

Sorry, I'm not really into metal now. Oceanborn is a very good album, but I just can't see that I could like as much as Angels Fall First.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #602 on: July 21, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
Oceanborn and Wishmaster, what an album duo! And when they are surrounded by Angels Fall First and Century Child... lord, what a band.

It's a bit hard to decide, which one is better, Oceanborn or Wishmaster. I use the song versus song-method, since the both albums have the same amount of songs. I never thought I would like power metal this much.

Stargazers - She Is My Sin - Stargazers easily. It's a solid power metal song, whe She Is My Sin is very lazy.
Gethsemane - The Kinslayer - Very hard one. Gethsemane has probably my favourite Nightwish melodies, but The Kinslayer is a true kickass song, and nowadays it's even more topical song than on 2000. It's about the Columbine massacre, and there have been a lot of shootings around after 2000, also in Finland. The middle section is one of the most stopping sections in musical history ever. The guest vocalist does great job. A top 3 Nightwish song.
Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean - Come Cover Me - An easy choice. DATDDO has an evil feeling overall, and the dialogue between Tapio Wilska and Tarja is absolutely stunning. Come Cover Me is a very good hard rock song with a spectacular intro, but it isn't even close.
Sacrament of Wilderness - Wanderlust - Sacrament of Wilderness is simply boring, Wanderlust is great. I think it has some DT vibe, the intro could be a part of some of their instrumental sections. I love it's verses and the choir outro.
Passion and the Opera - Two for Tragedy - Two awesome songs, but I'll go with PATO. Passion part is very solid one, and Opera has Tarja at her greatest. However, Two for Tragedy is a stunning ballad, that flute melody is pure beautiness. 
Swanheart - Wishmaster - Wishmaster is just perfect. Swanheart, as great ballad it is, cannot give any real challenge.
Moondance - Bare Grace Misery - Bare Grace Misery is another rocker, I like it a lot, but Moondance is a true melody-feast and my favourite instrumentalpower chords and harsh vocals-song after Metallica's Orion.
The Riddler - Crownless - Very even match-up. They are good, but far away from NW's best. I cannot remember everything else about Crownless than the fact that it's very fast, when on the other hand The Riddler is very catchy.
The Pharaoh Sails to Orion - Deep Silent Complete - Hands down, TPSTO is Nightwish's best power metal song. Deep Silent Complete is weird, but good.
Walking in the Air - Dead Boy's Poem - No... [emoticon running in circle] Two FANTASTIC songs. Walking in the Air is perfect, Dead Boy's Poem is inches away.
Sleeping Sun - FantasMic - Very tight competition. Some other day would choose Sleeping Sun, but those cheesy strings just before chorus are horrible, even though the song is in every other ways flawless. FantasMic has many great parts and works great in overall.

Oceanborn is slightly better.

Album ranking (excluding Dark Passion Play)

Century Child
Angels Fall First
Oceanborn
Wishmaster
Imaginaerum
---------------------
Once

Online Adami

« Reply #603 on: July 21, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
I agree with you that Oceanborn is better, but by a lot more.

And Walking in the Air isn't even a Nightwish song! And there's no way it's even remotely as good as Dead Boys Poem.

To me Oceanborn was Nightwish's best CD. Wishmaster was good, but it felt like a few of the songs were pretty uninspired, unlike Oceanborn.

And I still have no idea how you consider Angel's Fall First to be better than anything, especially when Tuomas doesn't even consider it a real album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ruba

« Reply #604 on: July 21, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »
And Walking in the Air isn't even a Nightwish song! And there's no way it's even remotely as good as Dead Boys Poem.

And I still have no idea how you consider Angel's Fall First to be better than anything, especially when Tuomas doesn't even consider it a real album.

Walking in the Air is on a Nightwish album, so I counted it. I prefer their version over the original, because I don't like the original vocalist.

I am I, deal with it.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:34:04 PM by Ruba »

Online Adami

« Reply #605 on: July 21, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »
But how is it better than Dead Boy's Poem?

That song is just pure emotion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ruba

« Reply #606 on: July 21, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
But how is it better than Dead Boy's Poem?

That song is just pure emotion.

I think I haven't really get into it yet. :| But it was the hardest decision alongside Gethsemane/The Kinslayer.

The first verse is, however, very intimate.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: July 21, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »
I think ocean born and wish master are the two albums with the most emotion. And both are fairly raw, which makes them both awesome albums. Id go with wash master though. And i LOVE deep silent complete, I think that song clicked for me when i watches it on their live DVD. Tarja totally kicks ass on it.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #608 on: July 22, 2012, 03:32:19 AM »
OK. I listened to Angels Fall First, and I didn't found anything wrong about the album. It is perfect, despite all its faults. I'm not sure, how I can make you sure that I'm not trolling, because no one seems to love AFF.

Every single song is just awesome. Or, maybe someone else could have done the male vocals on Astral Romance (I lol'ed  :rollin, sorry Tuomas!), but there are nine pretty flawless songs there.

Elvenpath puts a smile on my face. It is a fun song, lyrics are VERY goofy, but musically I love it. Verses are just so cool.

Beauty and the Beast, the first epic on the album, has some vocals by Tuomas, but I think he does them very well. It has kinda same feeling than some Oceanborn and Wishmaster songs have. Verses are just so friggin great and I almost came, when the guitar solo began. So beautiful moment. Outro has awesome melodies. Lyrics are my second favourite on the album. For who could ever learn to love a beast, I can relate to that very well.

The Carpenter is my favourite song. Ever. Pure catchiness and beauty.

Astral Romance is very beautiful, except Tuomas's vocals. But I can sing over it, so what the fuck. Guitar work throughout the song is fantastic, I love the intro and the solo section. Lyrics are great, also.

Angels Fall First is a solid ballad, with beautiful acoustic guitars and flutes (oh my God, what an instrument!  :hefdaddy). It is very beautiful, and has the best lyrics on the album (Tuomas thinks the same).

Tutankhamen is the heaviest song, with some well done Egyptian feeling. Lyrics are again goofy, but I don't mind them.

Nymphomaniac Fantasia was played only a couple of times live, and I understand why. It's not bad, totally the opposite, but the vocals in verses are complex, Tarja sorta duets with herself. I repeat myself, but a very beautiful song. Flutes play a major role here, intro is... very beautiful, and there's an awesome flute solo in the outro. The song has also some of my favourite Nightwish vocal moments.

Hear the starry choooooooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir

Old love lies deep, you said
Deeper shall be the wound between your legs

I love the lyrics.

Know Why the Nightingale Sings, when I saw the song title, I thought that it is surely a ballad. But it's a hard rock song, with feeling and catchiness. Great intro fill by Jukka  :metal. Solo section is awesome, an Emppu-feast, and the guitar solos make me smile, so great they are. I don't get the lyrics.

Lappi (Lapland) is an epic saga, splitted in four parts. The song brings images of midnight sun over the fells and dark, starry winter sky to my mind. The song is very beautiful... the whole album is very beautiful. My favourite part is Etiäinen.

Tarja is awesome  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart. And she was so beautiful in 1997. She is beautiful still, in case you were wondering.

The album is very different to other Nightwish albums. But it has a lot of beauty, IMO more than any other NW album.

I listened to the bonus songs also. A Return to Sea felt a little inconsistent, but nevertheless good to me. The acoustic demos were...

beautiful. Oh, they should have done more stuff like them.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #609 on: July 22, 2012, 03:53:05 AM »
Ruba, I have no idea who you are, but I already like you  :heart

Offline Ruba

« Reply #610 on: July 22, 2012, 03:56:14 AM »
Ruba, I have no idea who you are, but I already like you  :heart

:heart.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

And good that you made through my post. Reviewing albums in English is sometimes difficult.

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #611 on: July 22, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
This is the only metal band coming to my area in the near future (I've recently relocated from a major city). I have Oceanborn and Wishmaster, but can't seem to get into them, sadly.  :-[

Edit: I listened to Oceanborn again and LOVED it. But now I have to get into Nightwish with the new singer, which is a new task all together.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:34:03 AM by RichardRG »

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #612 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:29 AM »
:heart.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

And good that you made through my post. Reviewing albums in English is sometimes difficult.

You outta see me try and type in spanish. There's a whole lot wrong with me there,  so don't worry about your English. It's all good.  :tup

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #613 on: July 24, 2012, 02:29:59 PM »
This is the only metal band coming to my area in the near future (I've recently relocated from a major city). I have Oceanborn and Wishmaster, but can't seem to get into them, sadly.  :-[

Edit: I listened to Oceanborn again and LOVED it. But now I have to get into Nightwish with the new singer, which is a new task all together.  :lol

Get Century Child, and Once if you want to hear songs that are most likely gonna get played
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ruba

« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2012, 04:46:00 AM »

Get Century Child, and Once if you want to hear songs that are most likely gonna get played

And of course Imaginaerum, because they're touring for it.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #615 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:05 AM »
Dark Passion Play is very good. But I still prefer their four first albums.

The Poet and the Pendulum is great song, though I think Anette's vocals don't really fit it. But they don't have Tarja anymore, so I have to deal with it. Actually comparing Tarja and Anette is like comparing Bruce Dickinson and Blaze Bayley. One is fantastic, and the other is very good. Both have very different styles. But Anette truly can truly shine, when the song is right. And Nightwish hadn't stopped writing great music, after all it's Tuomas's band and he still has songwriting abilities that are beyond outstanding. I can count the weak Nightwish songs with one hand. Although I prefer less orchestral style, DPP and Imaginaerum continue still serving some awesome music. And they need to use more Emppu, I wish the next album has some Gethsemane-stylish song.

So now I have made peace with Nightwish. They are still great band and the best active one.

Every song on DPP was at least good, but there were two ones I didn't like that much. Eva had a bland Eurovision Song Contest-chorus and The Last of the Wilds wasn't really instrumental (like Moondance), it was a song without vocals. I know there are version with Finnish lyrics, but Jonsu from Indica? Seriously? It would have been better, if it wouldn't have ended slowly, not with distortion.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #616 on: August 07, 2012, 03:11:53 AM »
I'm seriously the only person on this earth who thinks Dark Passion Play is their best album.....but I'm proud of that fact.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #617 on: August 07, 2012, 03:16:16 AM »
Every song on DPP was at least good, but there were two ones I didn't like that much. Eva had a bland Eurovision Song Contest-chorus and The Last of the Wilds wasn't really instrumental (like Moondance), it was a song without vocals. I know there are version with Finnish lyrics, but Jonsu from Indica? Seriously? It would have been better, if it wouldn't have ended slowly, not with distortion.

Hrmm, I like both of those songs, especially Last of the Wilds. Music like that is right up my alley.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #618 on: August 07, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »

Hrmm, I like both of those songs, especially Last of the Wilds. Music like that is right up my alley.

It is good, but I think it would have been even better with vocals. I got to check out the version with Jonsu.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #619 on: August 07, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »
Dark Passion Play is very good. But I still prefer their four first albums.

The Poet and the Pendulum is great song, though I think Anette's vocals don't really fit it. But they don't have Tarja anymore, so I have to deal with it. Actually comparing Tarja and Anette is like comparing Bruce Dickinson and Blaze Bayley. One is fantastic, and the other is very good. Both have very different styles. But Anette truly can truly shine, when the song is right. And Nightwish hadn't stopped writing great music, after all it's Tuomas's band and he still has songwriting abilities that are beyond outstanding. I can count the weak Nightwish songs with one hand. Although I prefer less orchestral style, DPP and Imaginaerum continue still serving some awesome music. And they need to use more Emppu, I wish the next album has some Gethsemane-stylish song.

So now I have made peace with Nightwish. They are still great band and the best active one.

The main problem with DPP is that, while the songs are well-written, they are not written with Anette's voice in mind (because Tuomas had written the album before they decided on a singer).  To me, Anette isn't used as effectively as she could be.  Imaginaerium was written with her voice in mind, so while she may not be as talented as Tarja, the songs play to her strengths, and her voice meshes with the music better. 

And I agree about more Emppu!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #620 on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
Are we back on the DPP argument? I was so looking forward to this!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
I really don't like the end to the poet and the pendulum.  The beginning half is so strong, but the end really kills it for me.

Online Adami

« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
I really don't like the end to the poet and the pendulum.  The beginning half is so strong, but the end really kills it for me.

I assume you mean when it randomly becomes soft and generic after a hugely epic part. I agree. Although I also hate the spoken word part.

"afraid of being raped again and again". Seems a bit.....childish and emo for a grown man.

And while I do love Imaginareum and stuff, it's obvious that Nightwish will continue to be solely metal plus full symphony and choir and never truly return to being  a 5 piece band. And the heavy heavy use of full symphonies and choirs means I'm losing track of what Tuomas is actually playing. I hear a little piano from time to time, and....well not much else. He used to be the keyboardist and now he's just the writer. I miss those awesome keyboard parts from Oceanborn that are now just orchestra instead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #623 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »
A buddy wants to see Nightwish in October. I've only heard Once (which I love, it's one of my favorite albums) but nothing else. Would it be worth going to see them?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

« Reply #624 on: August 08, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »
A buddy wants to see Nightwish in October. I've only heard Once (which I love, it's one of my favorite albums) but nothing else. Would it be worth going to see them?

I've seen Nightwish live I think 4 times. Twice with Tarja, twice with Anette. And I have to say that for me, since Anette joined the band, they are reallly lazy live. You can look up videos, but I have no desire to see them live anymore, but I'll get their CDs since those always sound great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #625 on: August 08, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »

Judging from their live DVD back from the Once tour (and bootlegs I have seen/heard), they put on a great show.  So it's worth it from that standpoint.  I would get a copy of Imaginaerium and see if you like it, since the bulk of their material for the live show will probably come from that album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »

Judging from their live DVD back from the Once tour (and bootlegs I have seen/heard), they put on a great show.  So it's worth it from that standpoint.  I would get a copy of Imaginaerium and see if you like it, since the bulk of their material for the live show will probably come from that album.

Their energy from that show is no where near what it is now. They were on fire on that show, and when I've seen them since then they've been burned out.

I remember taking my (at the time) fiance to see them, she loved them. It was her first show of theirs, she was super excited. After about an hour she wanted to leave because of how bored they all seemed on stage. And it was the same at both shows I saw and every you tube clip of them since DPP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
I have never seen them but from YouTube videos, I think they look and sound great. I'm very excited to see them in a month

Offline robwebster

« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »
Musically, Once (or the album before that, Century Child) is probably the midpoint between their two voices.

From Angels Fall First to Wishmaster (I think? Drunk - can't remember the chrononology off hand) they're in a sort of operatic, soprano, power-metal type vibe. Dark Passion Play to Imaginaerum, meanwhile, are more of a dark fairytale vibe - with a new singer. Once is the style in between.

I'm tempted to say that if you like Once, you'll like all of what Nightwish have to offer. Their vocalist is different nowadays, but I can say from experience she does a cracking job on the Siren. I say go for it.

Online Adami

« Reply #629 on: August 08, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »
Rob Webstertonville is correct, mostly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com