Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 318354 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #420 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
I agree about Tuomas, the guy is a genuis. The thing about Nightwish that you cant say about most bands, every album is good. Even with a changing sound and different singer, nightwish albums are consistently good. Its a testament to how good Tuomas is IMO.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #421 on: January 11, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
If you agree with "song for the credits," then why wouldn't you agree with it being last?

If you had been more attentive, you would've seen that I said I didn't agree with it :)

I think the point he is trying to make is that although it is a nice way to end the album, it should have stood more for an overture than an ending credit score.

Exactly  :D

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #422 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Oh well.  You can't fool me, but I sure can fool myself.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #423 on: January 11, 2012, 06:58:21 PM »
My sis bought a ton of the songs from Imaginareum and she likes them a lot  :metal
I have yet to listen though.
She did come up to me this morning and was like, "Nattallie...in Ghost River, Marco sounds like he's GROWLING!" and I was like  :eek
No idea if he is or not though.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
Bought this yesterday. :metal

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
Still waiting for my copy to come in from Amazon.  :(

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »
This album is just too damn good. I've had to listen to it a good 30 times by now and it still has me singing along to every word.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #427 on: January 12, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
This album is just too damn good. I've had to listen to it a good 30 times by now and it still has me singing along to every word.

Hell yeah! :tup

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Get it yet?  Mine is supposed to arrive today from Amazon.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #429 on: January 12, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
I am learning all the chorus parts faster than ever, so they better get their asses to America fast before I forget them all over again and listen to over 12 more times and learn it again only to be disappointed they aren't here yet.

Imaginaerum is officially my 2nd favorite Nightwish album. That's really saying something to Tuomas' compositional work on this album. The band is in prime and I want to see where they go next!

Not enough good things can be said about the band at this point in time.

« Reply #430 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »
I hope so!

I'll find out when I get home from work.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
Nightwish newbie here.  I've heard Nemo, Planet Hell, Amaranth, Wishmaster, and now Storytime.  I've really liked those songs since I first heard them, but for some reason never really had the motivation to check out more of the band.  Now I intend to get Imaginaerum, both because I really enjoyed Storytime and because 'Nightwish - Imaginaerum' is one of the coolest band name/album title combinations I've ever heard. 

While I'm getting Imaginaerum, I intend to get one other Nightwish album as well.  I'm looking for recommendations on where the best place to start would be.  I may end up buying all of them in the long run, but right now I just want to start with one (besides Imaginaerum).  Thoughts?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #432 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »
Pick from Century Child, Once, and Wishmaster.  They're usually the three highest ranked Tarja albums in this thread, so you probably won't go wrong with any of them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #433 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »
Assuming you liked Nemo and Planet Hell, I would go with Once, since both of those songs come from that album and, along with Imaginaerium, you would have an album with each of their singers, so you would have a decent overview of their sound with each of them.  Or if you want to go with an album you haven't heard anything from yet, I would recommend Century Child--their best album, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »
Yeah, you can't go wrong with either CC or Once.

Still have to get Imaginaerium (beyond what's on Grooveshark)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: January 13, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
Alright, thanks peoples. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

« Reply #436 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
I hope so!

I'll find out when I get home from work.
Bah! Still waiting.

Hopefully tomorrow is the day!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #437 on: January 13, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
I got mine. :)  It's nice, probably a decent step above Dark Passion Play, but no question I prefer their best albums with Tarja, still.  At least this time most of the songs sound like they knew who the singer was.  Fun album, catchy writing, but not amazing.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #438 on: January 14, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
Probably an unpopular opinion, but Imaginaerum is definitely my favorite Nightwish album. I absolutely love every song. It had even motivated me to get that cd/tshirt/signed poster bundle. I really love Anette on this.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: January 14, 2012, 01:33:23 PM »
Back again with a second question, still trying to decide what I'm going to get. 

Between Once and Century Child, which album does Marco do more singing on?  I ask because I'm in love with Planet Hell, and I think it has a lot to do with his vocals in combination with Tarja's. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #440 on: January 14, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
Back again with a second question, still trying to decide what I'm going to get. 

Between Once and Century Child, which album does Marco do more singing on?  I ask because I'm in love with Planet Hell, and I think it has a lot to do with his vocals in combination with Tarja's.

Without listening and comparing closely, I think they're pretty much equal.

But if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #441 on: January 14, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
I don't know, either, but I would guess Once.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2012, 03:46:12 AM »

When it comes to Marco singing, Once has more, IMHO. But, if you want to delve deeper into Tarja's vocal capacity, I highly recommned Century Child. I consider it her prime and my favorite album from them by far. Course, I'm a total fanboy when it comes to that album, so choose at your own discretion.
But when all is said and done, get CC as soon as possible. You won't be disappointed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
I think Marco is used close to the same on Once and CC but has been used much more on the two Annette albums.  Im a very big fan of his, but i dont really enjoy Master Passion Greed and the Islander. I like him much more as a compliment singer, I Want My Tears Back, The Phantom of the Opera, Dead to the World, Slaying the Dreamer, The Siren, Planet Hell... some of my favorites with Marco.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: January 17, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the input everyone.  The decision ended up being made for me by the fact that the store I went to didn't have Century Child.  So I got Once.  Definitely a great album, though I think I actually perfer Imaginaerum myself. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #445 on: January 17, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
Still, nice pickup.  I can't recall whether or not you like live CD/DVD's, but their End Of An Era set is very good.  Lots of material from Once and Century Child with some older stuff mixed in as well.  In a way, the vocals remind me of LSFNY in that Tarja and Marco are both sound a bit weak and shaky the first couple of songs (both were sick and lost their voices), but a few songs in, they are both  :o

First song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNtnOFdP4Y

Midway through the show (and this is a song you haven't heard):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm6fc3z0GM
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: January 17, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »
Cool, thanks.  I'm usually not too big on live CD/DVDs, but I certainly don't blame you for not knowing that, and anyway, I do like a few exceptional ones.  So, I'll be sure to check out those links.  Thank you very much. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #447 on: January 17, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
I think you can get a good feel for their live show, which is quite good, IMO.  They also have 3 covers in that set, and it's a pretty diverse set of sources that they cover:
-High Hopes (Pink Floyd)
-Phantom of the Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber--a studio version of this is on Century Child, and this is THE song that hooked me on this band back in the day)
-Over The Hills And Far Away (Gary Moore)

Covers are generally hit and miss for me, but they just nail all of those songs.  Pretty sure the whole show is on YouTube, so you can just keep clicking links or searching if you do happen to like the two I posted above.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: January 17, 2012, 11:26:50 PM »
Agree with Bosk, I have the DVD and its fantastic.  They put on a great show and chose a very solid set list.  I very much like Creek Mary's Blood on the DVD.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #449 on: January 18, 2012, 02:07:04 AM »
The Crow, The Owl, and The Dove is possibly better than the rest of the album put together.

That is all.
caw caw

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #450 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:10 AM »
Agree with Bosk, I have the DVD and its fantastic.  They put on a great show and chose a very solid set list.  I very much like Creek Mary's Blood on the DVD.

Creek Mary's Blood was amazing live as well......THED6 and myself had the very great pleasure of seeing it live in a small tiny club which held only like 200 people. John Two-Hawks was there as well.......it was so awesome!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #451 on: January 18, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »
Slow, Love, Slow really reminds me of Siouxsie & the Banshees. 

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #452 on: January 19, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »
Anyone hear anything about US tour dates? Imaginerium seems like it would be great live. They have one show in Georgia listed on their site, that's it.

Also, yes End of an Era is fantastic.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #453 on: January 19, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »
Georgia?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #454 on: January 19, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »