Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313833 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
extremely basic 3/3 drumming
Whoa. I'd like to hear that.

Honestly, I'm still not sold on the movie thing. I like Nightwish as musicians, not wannabe film directors, and I'd rather they concentrated on writing a kicking album than messing around with this movie thing. But I'm glad that you're digging Once and DPP, Numbers. And yeah, Annette's pretty rockin'. I was grateful for the change. I always loved Tarja - she was the reason I fell in love with the band (and they were my first musical love!) - but I'd rather they tried something new and found some fresh blood, than tried to ape Tarja's style as closely as possible, and that's what we got with Annette. Both cool vocalists, both very good. I think Once is my favourite album by the band - the music on DPP's all very good, but never great - but yeah, lots of time for the Wish. In all its forms.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
This band is dead to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »
BUMP!

Just in here to say, if Imaginarium does not perform sexual favors, it will not have lived up to its hype. Hell, 3.7 million dollar budget, a movie, 5 years between albums...

The album doesn't have a 3.7 million dollar budget, the movie does.

But the album will probably just be modern nightwish by numbers. Danny Elfman style orchestra stuff over chunky but very very simple guitar/bass riffs with extremely basic 4/4 drumming and lots of syncopation.

I like that. I can deal with that.

And Bosk, isn't that spam. You added absolutely nothing to the conversation, and threw an insult at a band that many of us like.

If I just so happen to say Mike Portnoy and everything he is associated with is dead to me...I'd be banned.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
Where's the insult?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
This band is dead to me.

Are you kidding? Or are you talking about where they are going from now? Why?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »
This band is dead to me.

Are you kidding? Or are you talking about where they are going from now? Why?

I still like their old stuff, but I am not happy about the direction they are going, and I find the amount of time between albums to be completely ridiculous.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2011, 06:25:35 PM »
Is there a reason for the time in between the albums? And I thought you liked DPP. I know I do, mostly.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
BUMP!

Just in here to say, if Imaginarium does not perform sexual favors, it will not have lived up to its hype. Hell, 3.7 million dollar budget, a movie, 5 years between albums...

But the album will probably just be modern nightwish by numbers. Danny Elfman style orchestra stuff over chunky but very very simple guitar/bass riffs with extremely basic 4/4 drumming and lots of syncopation.

If it had heart, it'd be fine. But Nightwish used to have heart, and now they just do what they think people want. I don't respect that. That's one of the reasons I like Devin so much, everything he does has heart, he doesn't just stick to what works. Nightwish is becoming one of those bands that is just going through the motions at this point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
Devin...like, Townsend?

Online Adami

« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »
Devin...like, Townsend?

...........yes. Not related to nightwish, but was meant to illustrate my point. Nightwish has just become a band on autopilot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2011, 07:20:25 PM »
Well, the beauty of DPP being the only album I have/dig, I don't have a problem with it. Granted, the music is very..."generic"...but it really is the only epic/symphonic metal I listen to, so I dig it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
There is still a lot to like.  But given the history of the band, I feel similarly to Adami.

Online Adami

« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »
I feel similarly to Adami.

Thank you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2011, 08:57:50 PM »
Ooh I want in your sig. Lemme try.

Adami you sexy beast of a man your musical taste is pretty darn good you know

Online Adami

« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
Ooh I want in your sig. Lemme try.

Adami you sexy beast of a man your musical taste is pretty darn good you know

Thank you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »
:lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
Oh you

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »
BUMP!

If it had heart, it'd be fine. But Nightwish used to have heart, and now they just do what they think people want. I don't respect that. That's one of the reasons I like Devin so much, everything he does has heart, he doesn't just stick to what works. Nightwish is becoming one of those bands that is just going through the motions at this point.

I watched an older documentary about Nightwish through netflix, forgot what it was called, but Thomous (spelling?) kept saying they lost thier "innocence" after they became popular.  I agree, but that doesn't mean I don't like thier music anymore.  I think Once is thier best album, but the band overall just doesn't have the same vibe that the older albums have. 

Hell, the band even sings about not having heart anymore... "for the heart I once had..."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
BUMP!

If it had heart, it'd be fine. But Nightwish used to have heart, and now they just do what they think people want.
Like firing Tarja?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
So, I looked up the cover of "Phantom of the Opera" on YouTube.  Pretty cool, but in no way does it touch the original Sarah Brightman/Michael Crawford performance. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »
If it had heart, it'd be fine. But Nightwish used to have heart, and now they just do what they think people want.
Like firing Tarja?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that decision was made because they tought people on the outside wanted it.  I don't think any Nightwish fan wanted to see that happen.  My best assessment is that things had just reached a boiling point between her and the band.  They were completely separate and heading in two different directions.  She had already said she was only onboard for one more album and then was going to go her own way anyway.  And if there was any chance in reconciliation, Marcelo on one side and the band's management on the other seem to have irreparably poisoned the relationship even further.  I don't like that they fired her, but given everything that was going on and the personalities involved, I'm not shocked at all that they did, and I think it was pretty unavoidable.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
Well, it was just a joke, so you win hands down.

Online Adami

« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »

I meant they do what people want musically. And to be fair, they have more fans now that they have Anette because they picked a more accessible popular voiced singer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsem

« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2011, 12:23:08 PM »

I meant they do what people want musically. And to be fair, they have more fans now that they have Anette because they picked a more accessible popular voiced singer.
Really?

Every Nightwish fan I've ever met prefers Tarja over Anette. Myself included. Not meaning to be disrespectful or anything.

Online Adami

« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
Yes, most classic Nightwish fans like Tarja more, but they're still Nightwish fans. But just read this whole thread, lots of people became Nightwish fans when they switched because they wanted a more normal voice and not a super operatic one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »
I am one of those folks.

Offline jsem

« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
I figured.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2011, 11:10:47 PM »
EDIT

Nevermind, I guess it's been out for a while.  :facepalm:

Online Adami

« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »
Anybody see the Imaginarium teaser today? Pretty unremarkable, but excites me nonetheless.

What? What teaser? Are you talking about that one persons theme music which is from the album that was released weeks ago?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2011, 11:52:16 PM »
No, nevermind. For the first time I heard the "Kiteen Pallo" clip. It's been out there for almost a month now. I had no idea.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 22, 2011, 03:36:53 AM »
NIGHTWISH's 'Imaginarium' To Arrive Before End Of The Year - Aug. 21, 2011

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162265

"Imaginarium", the long-awaited new album from Finnish/Swedish symphonic metallers NIGHTWISH, will be released before the end of the year via Nuclear Blast Records in Europe and Roadrunner Records in North America. A movie of the same name is currently in production and is expected to arrive in 2012.

More information about the "Imaginarium" album, including the CD's complete track listing and details of the first single, will be made available in the coming weeks.

"Imaginarium" is one of the projects which recently received grants from the Finnish government institution called the Finnish Film Foundation. The movie, directed by Stobe Harju, about an old man on his deathbed who glimpses a childhood dream in which he refuses to grow old, and fights aging with his imagination, will get $575,000 toward its $3.7 million budget.

The Finnish Film Foundation grants support for professional Finnish film production. The Foundation's goal is to promote high-quality, versatile and unique Finnish film. The support can be granted for feature-length, short and episodic fiction, documentary, animation and children's films.

The production support is granted for the writing of a film script, development of a film project, the actual production of a film and for the marketing and distribution of the film in Finland. The Foundation also grants post-release support on the basis of a film's total attendance.

NIGHTWISH will kick off the "Imaginarium" world tour in Los Angeles. The very first show of the trek will take place at the Gibson Amphitheatre in Universal City, California on Saturday, January 21. This will be the biggest NIGHTWISH show production ever on North American soil and strictly a one-off — there will be no U.S. tour until later in 2012.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2011, 04:09:54 AM »
Oh thank christ! That's unexpectedly quick. I don't have to watch the film, so I don't mind that taking ages.

Hurrah!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2011, 04:12:08 AM »
Good stuff! And assuming the album's lyrics are in line with the film subject, it could be quite interesting and not just Tuomas whining about Tarja all the time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:17 AM »
Unless the film is about Tarja.

Honestly, though, I think some fans really stretched it on what they interpreted whining about Tarja on Dark Passion Play.  Some songs I could buy, but not that the album was almost dedicated to the topic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »
Good stuff! And assuming the album's lyrics are in line with the film subject, it could be quite interesting and not just Tuomas whining about Tarja all the time.

Did you read the description above?  It's about not wanting to grow old so he can continue his Tarja obsession FOREVER.