Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316347 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3640 on: June 19, 2021, 06:36:38 AM »
New song from Auri, album is due in September
Pearl Diving https://youtu.be/jiD_YdKCYTk

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3641 on: June 21, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
If anyone is interested new single from Anette:
https://youtu.be/eEbQWMOPBO0

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3642 on: July 12, 2021, 09:07:14 AM »
Damn, Nightwish just rescheduled their short US leg of the tour until May of 2022... but they have added Beast in Black as the support band which now has me super excited!  :metal :metal

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3643 on: July 12, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »
Damn, Nightwish just rescheduled their short US leg of the tour until May of 2022... but they have added Beast in Black as the support band which now has me super excited!  :metal :metal
I saw the postponement this morning.  I guess I'm not destined to see them till they do a full US tour.  I will be moving to Florida probably in November.   :sadpanda:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3644 on: July 12, 2021, 04:22:57 PM »
I saw the postponement this morning.  I guess I'm not destined to see them till they do a full US tour.  I will be moving to Florida probably in November.   :sadpanda:

That sucks, and sadly it seems your concert options wont be the same as they were in LA.  I didn't look because I don't plan to, but I'm assuming you can get a refund?

EDIT:

I just got the email now saying I can request a refund so I'm sure you will get one too.  I will not though. I have two seats in the reserved VIP balcony in NYC for myself and my college roommate who is also extra pumped for Beast in Black as the opener.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 06:22:02 PM by cramx3 »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3645 on: July 12, 2021, 10:17:22 PM »

That sucks, and sadly it seems your concert options wont be the same as they were in LA.  I didn't look because I don't plan to, but I'm assuming you can get a refund?

EDIT:

I just got the email now saying I can request a refund so I'm sure you will get one too.  I will not though. I have two seats in the reserved VIP balcony in NYC for myself and my college roommate who is also extra pumped for Beast in Black as the opener.
Yeah, I requested the refund right before I posted earlier.  Just a missed opportunity :(

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #3646 on: July 27, 2021, 03:01:08 AM »
What's your favorite Tarja-era Nightwish song?

For me it could be The Pharaoh Sails to Orion. It's amazing.

Offline 425

« Reply #3647 on: July 27, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »
Low-hanging fruit, but Ghost Love Score.

It almost feels weird revisiting the version on Once at this point, because it's just... not the definitive version anymore (sorry Tarja!), but that version is still spectacular and would still be my #1 Nightwish song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3648 on: July 27, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »
Phantom of the Opera from the Lowlands show on the Once tour was what made me a fan, so I have a soft spot for that one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3649 on: July 27, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
Hmmm....

Thats a tough call for me between Sleeping Sun, Gethsemane, The Siren, and Bless The Child.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3650 on: July 27, 2021, 04:50:50 PM »
Probably Beauty of the Beast and maybe followed by Ever Dream.

I always liked GLS, but it was really Floor who made me love the song.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3651 on: July 27, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »
Maybe Fantasmic? But so many good options.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #3652 on: July 27, 2021, 08:00:27 PM »
Probably Beauty of the Beast and maybe followed by Ever Dream.

I always liked GLS, but it was really Floor who made me love the song.

Beauty of the Beast would be my second choice.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3653 on: July 28, 2021, 01:47:32 AM »
Tough to pick only 1, so here is my top 5 of Tarja;
1. Ghost Love Score - this will always by my Tarja song, I saw her perform this at her last show with the band, very emotional
2. The Pharaoh Sails to Orion - incredible performance and her 'scream' towards the end is pure magic
3. Come Cover Me - glorious melodic and Tarja sounds incredible
4. Bless The Child - great opener and love the orchestral bit in the middle
5. 10th Man Down - overlooked classic from 'Over The Hills' EP

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3654 on: July 28, 2021, 02:01:13 AM »
I personally really dig "Sacrament of Wilderness"!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3655 on: July 28, 2021, 03:53:31 AM »
Hmmm....

Thats a tough call for me between Sleeping Sun, Gethsemane, The Siren, and Bless The Child.
I really like Sleeping Sun.  When Floor performed it live on the VOS bluray,  she took it to a unearthly level!  :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline 425

« Reply #3656 on: July 28, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »
Sleeping Sun is way up there for me, too. If I were to do a top 5, it would be something like:

1. Ghost Love Score
2. Beauty of the Beast
3. Sleeping Sun
4. Bless the Child
5. Ocean Soul
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3657 on: July 28, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
Sleeping Sun is a great song, that originally was not even on the Oceanborn album.
1998 CD and 1999 vinyl pressings didn't have it on the album.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3658 on: July 31, 2021, 09:15:31 AM »
Just watched some of the youtube clips from last nights show.  They looked awesome.  Just makes me even sadder that they postponed the US shows again.  Did anyone hear WHY they postponed the S.A. and US shows?  Yet they're playing shows now?

Offline 425

« Reply #3659 on: July 31, 2021, 09:43:45 AM »
The US has all sorts of COVID-related travel restrictions still in place. I believe non-US-citizens coming from most European countries are just not allowed to enter the US, with a few exceptions.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3660 on: July 31, 2021, 02:19:23 PM »
The US has all sorts of COVID-related travel restrictions still in place. I believe non-US-citizens coming from most European countries are just not allowed to enter the US, with a few exceptions.
Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't realize those restrictions were still in place, makes sense now.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3661 on: September 12, 2021, 01:31:35 AM »
Anette Olzon's second 'solo' album, 'Strong' was released on Friday.
Pretty good popish metal sound, great vocals of course and modern sounding production.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3662 on: September 12, 2021, 10:56:53 AM »
It's really apparent now that Anette got the short end of the stick in Nightwish.  Her second solo album and The Dark Element are so much more suited to her voice than Nightwish ever was, and both are better projects than most Nightwish in recent years, despite Floor being a superior vocalist. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3663 on: September 12, 2021, 11:02:09 AM »
It's really apparent now that Anette got the short end of the stick in Nightwish.  Her second solo album and The Dark Element are so much more suited to her voice than Nightwish ever was, and both are better projects than most Nightwish in recent years, despite Floor being a superior vocalist.

Ehhhhhh. I’ve listened to her singles from those albums and none of them came across as more than pretty typical. The lyrics are really awful. Like actually distracting. And her voice was great on Imaginareium.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3664 on: September 12, 2021, 11:03:08 AM »

It was evident by her not allowing the band to even show her in their documentary of the "Showtime, Storytime" dvd/blu-ray. That's when I noticed that something must've happened within the band, and laughed because that forced them to have to dig through the videos and edit them in a way that doesn't even show one hint of Annette.  :lol

Although her solo stuff is more suitable for her voice. It still sounds a bit too much Nightwish-like...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3665 on: September 12, 2021, 02:15:24 PM »
Anette may have gotten the short end of the stick in Nightwish but I don't think she would have had any kind of stick if she wasn't in Nightwish :corn they treated her like crap and she returned the punches imo, but now she gets to have this second act where people seek her out to write songs for her because she has her own fanbase and name recognition - idk if that singer from Alyson Avenue would have had all that, if you know what I mean.

I like her voice and I root for her success but there's not much substance there, is it?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3666 on: September 12, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »
Both Dark Element albums are really good, much better than the two recent Nightwish albums - but that's because Jani is one of the best songwriters in the genre.  I listeneD to 'Strong' this morning and it's ok, but lacks the melody and class of The Dark Element albums.

On a side note the new Seven Spires album is amazing, again if you like the symphonic/power vibe.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3667 on: September 12, 2021, 04:40:04 PM »
Both Dark Element albums are really good, much better than the two recent Nightwish albums - but that's because Jani is one of the best songwriters in the genre.  I listeneD to 'Strong' this morning and it's ok, but lacks the melody and class of The Dark Element albums.
No lie. I don't know if it's just because Jani came out of Sonata so I was predisposed to following him really closely over the years, but to me he has so much charm and authenticity and such a clear point of view (as clear as Tuomas or Tony from Sonata or any other star writers in the Finnish scene you can name) that I'm kind of baffled when people don't see it. Magnus Karlsson is a good career writer of this kind of stuff but with Jani it's more of a calling than a job or career. If Anette freezes the good thing she has with Jani just because he's less available with Insomnium, it will be a mistake, but she's a smart lady and this isn't her day job anyway, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 04:47:09 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: September 12, 2021, 05:18:45 PM »

Imaginareum was certainly suited for Annette's voice which was the only album NW did with her with her voice in mind.  She was, IMO, never really a fit for the band even though I really like both of her albums.  I'm glad we have the Dark Element, those two albums are great.  I listened to her singles and thought they were good, but not at the level of the Dark Element. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3669 on: September 12, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »
Expectations are a major part of it.  I had high hopes for the last two Nightwish albums given the heights Floor was capable of taking them to, so the end result was incredibly disappointing when it was as insipid as it was and she was underused.  By contrast, I had low expectations for Anette's latest album, because even though I haven't heard it, word on the street is that her first one is pretty mediocre, and without Liimatainen writing I wasn't anticipating much.  I was far more into Sonata Arctica than Primal Fear.  So finding Strong to be quite good pretty much blew me away.  I've only heard it a couple times, so I have no idea how it will age, but I've found most of the metal releases this year underwhelming, so it was rather refreshing.  I also think some of the non-singles are better than the singles, and the second half of the album is stronger than the first half, which is unusual. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 06:34:59 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3670 on: September 12, 2021, 07:55:24 PM »
Strong was much better on second listen, but it's time her, her song writers, and Jani retire the "Nightwish riff". Hopefully the next Dark Element album doesn't have it, because she and her friends rely too much on it, and just makes them sound like Nightwish wannabes. I enjoy both DE albums more than most Nightwish albums, I just want them and her to be themselves. But yeah, Anette is great. I really enjoy her output. Not so much Allen/Olzon, which sucks because Russell Allen is my favorite singer.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3671 on: September 12, 2021, 08:48:33 PM »
No lie. I don't know if it's just because Jani came out of Sonata so I was predisposed to following him really closely over the years, but to me he has so much charm and authenticity and such a clear point of view (as clear as Tuomas or Tony from Sonata or any other star writers in the Finnish scene you can name) that I'm kind of baffled when people don't see it. Magnus Karlsson is a good career writer of this kind of stuff but with Jani it's more of a calling than a job or career. If Anette freezes the good thing she has with Jani just because he's less available with Insomnium, it will be a mistake, but she's a smart lady and this isn't her day job anyway, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

I'm pretty sure a third Dark Element album is on its way.  Speaking of Jani I'm still waiting for a third Cain's Offering album!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3672 on: September 13, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »
Curious, I listened to the first TDE only once. I found everything a bit generic, cliché. To be honest, I don't remember anything right now.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3673 on: September 13, 2021, 04:13:52 AM »
Anette's full time gig is a Registered Nurse (RN) and presently she is studying/training to be a Midwife.
As well as being a full time Mum, bring up her two sons.
Music is sort of her hobby these days.
Why is her new album more a la Nightwish?
She asked her fans what they wanted on insta/FB and they said more symphonic metal style.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3674 on: September 13, 2021, 06:41:52 AM »
Last week I attended the solo show of Floor in Amsterdam, it was very nice, with material from her entire career. It was video recorded so it will have a live release (I recall she said youtube).

To my surprise, the setlist was different than the solo shows prior to covid. They now did a couple of her youtube covers. Setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/floor-jansen/2021/afas-live-amsterdam-netherlands-b8cc912.html.