Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313816 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3325 on: May 18, 2020, 08:55:32 AM »
Trying to think of a NW song I like better than GLS and coming up blank. It's been my favorite forever, never dethroned.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:05:30 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3326 on: May 18, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
It’s a great song. But if we’re only talking studio versions, I’d maybe put Fantasmic, Dead Boys Poem, and Beauty of the Beast up there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3327 on: May 18, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
I like Poet and the Pendulum more than Ghost Love Score, personally, even with the cringey self-fellating nature of the lyrics. But I think my #1 favorite NW tune these days would have to be... hm. Maybe The Crow, The Owl, The Dove, strangely. It's just a really, really good song with one of their best hooks imo. Not a popular pick though, I imagine. Or maybe The Islander. One of those two.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3328 on: May 18, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »
Remember when we thought End of an Era would be the last time we would hear it performed well?  :lol Thanks, Floor!

Going through their discography trying to find a match, it has all the ingredients of all the (short) songs I love the most. The Poet and the Pendulum is often put against it, but the lyrics drag it down so much for me it's not even in consideration.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Adami

« Reply #3329 on: May 18, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »
Poet has a great first 2/3 but the last 1/3 and the spoken word parts drag it down. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3330 on: May 18, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
Aw, I love the last 1/3rd. I think it's a much more consistent and interesting song than Ghost Love Score, but yeah, the spoken word stuff about Tuomas is embarrassing ("he was found naked and dead, with 1000 pages of erased text!" oh my god, how dramatic, someone throw a pie!  :lol )
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3331 on: May 18, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
I'll have to find a way to distinguish the two Beauty + Beast songs. So far I'm sure I like both songs better than the song it was facing in the first round so I voted "blindly", but sooner or later I'll have to remember which one is on the debut, and which one closes Century Child  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3332 on: May 19, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »
Losers

Century Child was the first one for me. Managed to see them on their first ever headlining US show. So fun.

I first heard Nightwish in '05.  Planet Hell came on this internet radio station I was listening to.  Changed my musical life.  Seriously... one of those Top 5 moments of that influenced my musical tastes and direction.  I'm not overly fond of the Tarja-era pure operatic vocal albums.  There's some gems in there, but for me, the awesomeness of Nightwish starts with Century Child.

I discovered them during the Once era, but Century Child was my first album from them, and I loved it.  Those 2 albums are my 1a and 1b, and they often swap places at the top, depending on my mood.  I remember hearing those two albums and thinking that this band was right up my alley.  I hadn't been this excited about a band since discovering DT in '92.  When I went back and checked out some of the back catalog, I wasn't thrilled with it.  Some songs were pretty good.  A lot more didn't do much for me.  But I didn't care.  Century Child and Once were right in my wheelhouse, and add in a smattering of the more popular songs from the earlier albums, and I was good. 

DPP was...so so.  As an album, I felt similar to it as I did to the back catalog:  It was very hit-and-miss, with some gems and some that I would take a pass on.  Part of it is that, as an album, it just wasn't written for Annet's voice.  Part of it is the lyrical content being embarrassingly bad at times.  But overall, not a bad album.

Imaginaerum was MUCH better!  That one sits at #3 and isn't far behind CC and Once.

Hated Endless Forms, despite Floor being my favorite of the 3 singers by far. 

I just got around to getting the new one and gave it a listen today.  (I don't have the physical album, but got a free download with purchase)  First impression:  This album is OUTSTANDING!  No idea where it will rank yet, but it is absolutely a worthy addition to the catalog.  The "traditional" songs are, overall, A+.  (I had heard most if not all before today, but this is the first time I listened on a good system)  I need to let it all soak in.  But I really, really like it so far.  The disk 2 songs are a bit different, and not really my typical thing.  But they are a good listen.  And since they are sequenced in order after the disk 1 songs, but still part of the same track list, I will probably listen to them a lot more frequently than I otherwise might.  Can't wait to listen to this more.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3333 on: May 20, 2020, 01:31:31 AM »
I agree with you Bosk, the new album is fantastic!    I still need to get Once, and Century Child. I haven't heard either to this day, unless there's some of the tracks on Decades.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3334 on: May 20, 2020, 04:44:25 AM »
I agree with you Bosk, the new album is fantastic!    I still need to get Once, and Century Child. I haven't heard either to this day, unless there's some of the tracks on Decades.

Yea a few are on Decades, I also became a fan via Century Child and will totally agree that CC and Once are top notch NW albums.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3335 on: May 20, 2020, 05:01:20 AM »
They always had good from great albums so I'd have a hard time to come up with a ranking.

Imaginaerum is my favorite, period. By default it's my favorite Annette album over DPP.
I love the new album, far better than the previous album with Floor.
As far as Tarja goes, I'll always have a soft spot for the cheerful and youthful attitude of Wishmaster, love its enthusiastic naivetè. Probably Once is the better one, but it has a bit of Powerslave syndrome, starts and ends greatly but loses momentum in the middle.
The debut is ok but a bit raw, I will never say that Oceanborn is a bad album 'cause obviously it isn't, but I personally never really connected to it that much.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3336 on: May 21, 2020, 10:29:55 AM »
A few more listens under my belt, and I can say this is a really special album.  I might very well end up putting this one up there with CC and Once in my top 3.  At this early stage, I can say I don't really care for Harvest.  I applaud Troy for stepping up and taking the lead on a song.  And there are parts of it that are pretty cool.  But overall, as an entire piece, I don't care for it.  But the rest of disk 1 is really, REALLY good.  And disk 2, although being the type of thing I generally don't care for, is really well done and a nice listen as well.  When Tuomas is at his most self-indulgent, it often pushes the music to a point where I can no longer enjoy it.  This is definitely him in self-indulgent mode, but not in a way that I find distracting.  This is a pretty nice, enjoyable piece of music. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3337 on: May 21, 2020, 11:29:45 AM »
Harvest is shaping up to be my favourite song from the album actually, but otherwise I agree, the whole thing is really special.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3338 on: May 21, 2020, 12:19:18 PM »
Harvest is fantastic, disc 1 as a whole is fantastic and while disc 2 isnt my thing, I actually think it's better than what I expected. Very strong album that sadly seems we won't be seeing live anytime soon.  I expect the September US dates to be cancelled.  I just got my first concert for September cancelled today actually (it was one that was postponed from May).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3339 on: May 21, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »
Harvest is shaping up to be my favourite song from the album actually, but otherwise I agree, the whole thing is really special.
Awesome song!  The way they go into the final chorus and the beat picks up is one of my favorite moments on the record.  It sounds like the whole band is singing, great harmonies.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: May 21, 2020, 10:03:26 PM »
I'm with Bosky.  I almost always skip Harvest.  The first part of the song just does very little for me.  As far as the album on the whole I've actually moved away from it for a bit, which is uncommon for me.  I usually dissect a new album for a good  amount of time.  I'm not sure if it's a case of the material not measuring up, or just needing a break to let it breath a bit.  Hopefully I will get back into it soon. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3341 on: May 22, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
Since it's been talked about in the survivor section (anybody who follows actively Nightwish and haven't joined yet.... please come, the more, the better!), do you think in the next tour we'll get some more rotation and, possibly, they will finally remember they have Beauty of the Beast (closing epic off Century Child) in their arsenal, a song that Floor hasn't sung yet?

Double question, do you think they'll hold on to Ghost Love Score or they'll let it go? Nightwish have surely their live staples, but they're not so fixated on them like maybe Iron Maiden. Wishmaster was retired, and at least once, in the Imaginaerum tour, they tried to work around playing Nemo once more by rearranging it acoustically. Wish I had an Angel seemed to have conquered the "final song" spot but it has been removed from there.

All of this to say that maybe, they would feel confident on not having to rely on Ghost Love Score forever and ever, since it's become kinda a live Floor classic. They brought back the song, it became the source of dozens reaction videos, they've kept it as last song on the Decades tour, maybe now they'll let it go.

The Phantom of the Opera however has become a new "Floor hit" because of her partecipation in that TV show, and they will definitively play it in Amsterdam with her idol and the guy that she had a duet on the show to begin with. I assume it's kinda safe to guess they'll bring it back for the whole tour rather than just play it once, it feels a bit of a waste and maybe unfair to anyone else who won't be at the Amsterdam show (whenever that will actually happen).

Finally, the last album doesn't have a huge, longass song, so that makes more room in the setlist - well, not that it matters much, on the tour where they played The Greatest Show on Earth they played The Poet and the Pendulum anyway (another epic that got the Floor treatment!)

So, fun speculation moment.... do you think any of the two could happen? Ghost Love Score being shelved AND / OR Beauty of the Beast finally being played live with Floor?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3342 on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »
I'd be ok with GLS being shelved, they've got some nice gems that could replace it for sure.

Online Adami

« Reply #3343 on: May 22, 2020, 12:48:29 PM »
I'd be happy with Ghost Love Score taking a break. I love it, but we have it on multiple DVDs and every tour for going on 7 years? It's okay to retire.

And yes, I'd love Beauty of the Beast or any other older big song.....like Fantasmic!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3344 on: May 22, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
Nope, it's a staple resurrected against all odds, keep it. If they don't have space in the setlist they can always play a few minutes longer  :rollin

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3345 on: May 22, 2020, 03:08:43 PM »
I agree that they should put GLS on the shelf and give it a rest for a while. But realistically, it’s their most popular song and it gets the best crowd reaction, so they’ll probably never stop playing it.

Offline 425

« Reply #3346 on: May 22, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »
I think GLS is going to stay and I don't mind it staying. It can be annoying when a band has, like, a half-dozen staples that show up at every show (like the aforementioned Iron Maiden), but one or two songs doesn't hurt. And GLS is one of their best songs, so that's even better than if it was, like, a prototypical radio single.

I do think I Want My Tears Back could use a break, and I think it's more likely to get one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Adami

« Reply #3347 on: May 22, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
My issue with GLS is just how good it is. It's SO good that when it's played SO often, people become a bit (or maybe just me) desensitized to it. I want it to be like a treat because of how epic and goosebump inducing it is. I want to be like "OMG OMG" when it's played, not "yup, that time of the night I guess"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3348 on: May 22, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
I do think I Want My Tears Back could use a break, and I think it's more likely to get one.

While of course he could always change his mind, I remember a quote from Tuomas about the song saying "I guess that's one of those that we'll have to play on every show from now on, and that's completely fine by me". And by me as well. The song is a glorious riot of a party live, it gets the people jumping and dancing, allows Troy to play the uillean pipes, and everyone seem to have fun with it, especially Floor whose enjoyment of the song seem to go beyond her frontwoman duties and she looks like she's really into getting everyone dancing in the solo (she barely can keep her mouth shut at the beginning of it  :lol ).

About Ghost Love Score, I'm ambivalent. If they'll play, I won't complain. If they don't, I won't miss it, especially if they keep on with their efforts to make every show and every setlist, from tour to tour, different from the previous one.

Funny thing, having successfully avoided spoilers from the Decades tour, I was sure that once again The Greatest Show on Earth would have been the final song. When the lights didn't come back, I couldn't imagine what else they could play. All I had was Wishmaster in mind, I didn't even consider Ghost Love Score as an option.... but what a (pleasant) surprise to hear it start!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3349 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »
For the hardcore fans, I know a lot of us would rather see something different and that includes me.  I'd be cool if they shelved GLS.  However, that seems unlikely and I'm not going to complain.  NW does a pretty good job of rotating songs overall so we usually get different sets through a tour and they've brought back other epics with Floor.  I'd love to see even more diversity because I'm a hardcore fan, but the reality is I can't complain with their sets overall. 

Online Adami

« Reply #3350 on: May 22, 2020, 04:28:29 PM »
For the hardcore fans, I know a lot of us would rather see something different and that includes me.  I'd be cool if they shelved GLS.  However, that seems unlikely and I'm not going to complain.  NW does a pretty good job of rotating songs overall so we usually get different sets through a tour and they've brought back other epics with Floor.  I'd love to see even more diversity because I'm a hardcore fan, but the reality is I can't complain with their sets overall.

I gotcha. I think the reason I gave for wanting it shelved is a bit different than just wanting variety, but I get you on the whole.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: May 22, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »

I gotcha. I think the reason I gave for wanting it shelved is a bit different than just wanting variety, but I get you on the whole.

I wasn't really responding to your specific comment but even so, it's not that different.  Yours makes sense too.  When Iron Maiden play Iron Maiden, it's like,"yup, here we go and the nights about to end" vs. "wow I really like this song!" but that goes to set diversity too.  If they opened with GLS that would kind of change my internal feelings associated with the live song but even then, at this point I'd rather the opened with a song I have yet to see live.  Granted, I've only seen them 3 times but got lots of variety those 3 times (other than GLS and I Want My Tears Back, another song I'd be ok getting shelved even though I really like it).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3352 on: May 23, 2020, 04:53:45 AM »
When Iron Maiden play Iron Maiden, it's like,"yup, here we go and the nights about to end" vs. "wow I really like this song!" but that goes to set diversity too. 

I'm a step behind; when after quite some songs I hear Nicko slow counting the next one, I'm "oh shit, now I have to sit through Fear of the Dark once again, and then there's only Iron Maiden and the encores" (In the very rare occasion in which they add something else between Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden, see The Number of the Beast last tour for example, it's just a plesant surprise).

And hey, Iron Maiden the song, at this point, it's not even a "song" anymore. It's an experience. You get to shout "Iron Maiden" for some times and prepare yourself to see Eddie. Kinda like Enter Sandman with Metallica, we all have heard the song a billion times, when they play it live I brace myself for the fireworks when the song kicks in.

Anyway, my speculation about the future Nightwish setlist was just that, fun speculation. I really have no complaints at all about their setlists and the way they organize their shows and stage sets and while they do have their staples, I appreciate them making every tour as least predictable as possible.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:14:27 PM by MirrorMask »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3353 on: May 23, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
I discovered these guys and gals about a year ago, and they have quickly become one of my favorite bands of all-time. Their combination of bone-crushing riffs, catchy female vocals, and epic orchestrations is something that I never knew I needed until now. I've intentionally waited to explore all their albums, because I like having them out there for when I really need to hear something new. I've heard everything from the present back to Once, and can't wait to go back even further.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: May 23, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »
Go back and tell us how it went! And then watch End of an Era and From Wishes to Eternity.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3355 on: May 27, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »
As far a GLS I think it's one of those songs that has to be played, it's TOO big not to be. Kind of in the same category as a "Stairway to Heaven" or "Freebird".  Like Marc and others have said, hardcore fans are OK with it being shelved for a tour or two but for those fans who have never got to experience it live it's a must! Personally for me I will probably NEVER tire of seeing it performed live!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3356 on: May 27, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
Yeah, where do you guys even live that you saw them do GLS multiple times since 2012?  :lol they never came closer than like 7 hours to me, so I haven't seen them yet. Actually, they did have a festival slot about four hours away from me in 2008 but going just to see them do an hour long set wasn't an option for me back then.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3357 on: May 27, 2020, 08:25:17 AM »
Man, I haven't even seen GLS live myself and I'd be fine if they shelved it forever. They could squeeze in 2 other songs in that time, maybe 3.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3358 on: May 27, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »
Yeah, where do you guys even live that you saw them do GLS multiple times since 2012?  :lol

I live 45 minutes away from New York City.  They've played GLS the last three times I've seen them (twice in NYC, once in Connecticut) but those are all more recent tours.  I saw them once with Annette before that and of course they didn't play it. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3359 on: May 27, 2020, 08:41:12 AM »
I saw them live once in 2015 and they played GLS. I wouldn't mind seeing it again at all.

Speaking of which, I was supposed to see them live today. :-\
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.