Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316594 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3290 on: May 08, 2020, 04:32:52 PM »
Wishmaster will always have that adorable exuberance of youth. A young band that has a lot of energy, tries many new things, and is fully in love with the fantasy stuff they were into. Sure, some of it sounds a bit dated or cheesy in retrospect but I'll always consider it a strong record and an early classic of the band. Who knew 20 years later how many things would have changed...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3291 on: May 08, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
Yeah, it's just exquisite. Catch me not giving a single fuck about the cheese. The holy trinity of Oceanborn - Wishmaster - Century Child has a lot of my favorite songs.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3292 on: May 08, 2020, 04:54:17 PM »
Yeah, it's just exquisite. Catch me not giving a single fuck about the cheese. The holy trinity of Oceanborn - Wishmaster - Century Child has a lot of my favorite songs.

Yup! I loooooove oceanborn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3293 on: May 08, 2020, 06:16:02 PM »
Man, Once was my first Nightwish album back when I was 13 in 2006. Time flies.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3294 on: May 08, 2020, 06:27:26 PM »
Losers

Century Child was the first one for me. Managed to see them on their first ever headlining US show. So fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3295 on: May 08, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
Losers

Century Child was the first one for me. Managed to see them on their first ever headlining US show. So fun.

I first heard Nightwish in '05.  Planet Hell came on this internet radio station I was listening to.  Changed my musical life.  Seriously... one of those Top 5 moments of that influenced my musical tastes and direction.  I'm not overly fond of the Tarja-era pure operatic vocal albums.  There's some gems in there, but for me, the awesomeness of Nightwish starts with Century Child.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gazinwales

« Reply #3296 on: May 08, 2020, 08:38:45 PM »
I first heard them back in 1997, a friend of mine in Finland had an advance copy of AFF.
He phoned me up and played the first song Elvenpath, even through the phone line from the other side of the world I was floored. Never heard anything like it before, the romance with Nightwish has lasted many years now, but for me the band lost a lot of appeal when Tarja left, and Anette great on both records, but lacking live.

The last 2 albums with Floor, have been good, solid efforts but sadly lacking for me any real appeal to listen as many times as I have the back catalogue of works. On paper she should be a perfect match, live she is great, but I'm not sure if they have the right chemistry in the studio  :chill

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3297 on: May 09, 2020, 03:26:12 AM »
Man, Once was my first Nightwish album back when I was 13 in 2006. Time flies.
We're the same person (I was 14).

It's always a good sign when a band manages to hold your interest (with some pauses for me) for that long.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3298 on: May 09, 2020, 04:23:12 AM »
They definitively did that with me, album after album.

It's a weird thing my appreciation for Nightwish because, as a matter of fact, I like all the albums and I don't miss any of their concerts, but at the same time I don't have that level of fandom and interest that makes me read all the interviews, follow all the band members on social media, talk about it online all the time etc etc etc... I mean, they come out with an album, I like it, I go to the concert and enjoy it a lot, and then I go back minding my own business and following other bands  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: May 09, 2020, 05:28:57 AM »
Tour dates for Ukraine, Belarus and Russia are finally postponed (were originally scheduled to take place this May) to June 2021. Moscow date is Monday which kinda sucks, I think I'll have to take a day off or two to be at the venue early though. Still, looking forward to it!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3300 on: May 09, 2020, 06:44:03 AM »
Losers

CC for me too. I liked it a ton, and same with Once when that came out. Never properly got into the albums before though, other than a handful of songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3301 on: May 09, 2020, 07:26:16 AM »
I still haven't replaced my copy of Century Child. I lost my copy a week after I bought it, along with like 20 other CDs when I destroyed my car. I still have the booklet, but that's it. Ever Dream was always far and away the best song on that record imo, definitely one of Nightwish's all time bests.

Oceanborn will always be my #2, I think, behind DPP. There's so much on that record they just abandoned some years later, and there's nothing else quite like Sleeping Sun in their discography. I miss that old Nightwish sound before they became The Cinematic Band: The Movie: The Orchestra
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3302 on: May 09, 2020, 08:08:06 AM »
I always really liked it but started to love it later on. The live versions are superior though, Endless Forms Most Beautiful can sound a bit lifeless sometimes. Love the Tampere and Decades performances.
I think the Decades performance is the best!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3303 on: May 09, 2020, 08:47:04 AM »
I still haven't replaced my copy of Century Child. I lost my copy a week after I bought it, along with like 20 other CDs when I destroyed my car. I still have the booklet, but that's it. Ever Dream was always far and away the best song on that record imo, definitely one of Nightwish's all time bests.

On that album a strong contender is Beauty and the Beast. Or is it Beauty OF the beast? anyway, the 10 minutes ending song, not the one of the debut  :lol I'd loooove for the song to come back to the setlist with the Floor treatment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3304 on: May 09, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »
I always really liked it but started to love it later on. The live versions are superior though, Endless Forms Most Beautiful can sound a bit lifeless sometimes. Love the Tampere and Decades performances.
I think the Decades performance is the best!!

I rewatched Tampere the other week and agree, the Decades performance of TGSOE is the best IMO.

I didn't get into Nightwish until DPP was already released, but Century Child was the first album I heard with Ever Dream and Beauty of the Beast being my favorites back then.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: May 09, 2020, 11:28:25 AM »
It's a weird thing my appreciation for Nightwish because, as a matter of fact, I like all the albums and I don't miss any of their concerts, but at the same time I don't have that level of fandom and interest that makes me read all the interviews, follow all the band members on social media, talk about it online all the time etc etc etc... I mean, they come out with an album, I like it, I go to the concert and enjoy it a lot, and then I go back minding my own business and following other bands  ;D

I don't find that weird at all. That is how I approach most bands. I'd consider Iron Maiden one of my Top 5 bands, and I don't really "follow" the band at all, in terms of interviews, social media, etc.... I just love their music and shows.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3306 on: May 10, 2020, 05:15:06 AM »
For some reason i've seen a wave of new NW reaction videos of Ghost Love Score on YT and other songs. It's so funny how some of them react like they've never heard of the concept of music.  :lol

It's cool seeing people getting excited for cool music they've never heard but some reactions feels so incredible forced like they know if they react positive and amazed they will get a bunch of likes from fans of the respective band.

Yeah you can tell that a good number of them are because the word is out "Want a quick 1000 subs... react to Ghost Love Score".  However, there are also a good number who are genuinely moved and become fans, even a few who were there initially for the subs

Yea, same for Pisces by Jinjer.

I'm not a big fan of normal react videos. I like when pros will analyze or discuss what is happening or if it's someone who is not normally into that thing. But seeing a random person open their mouth and smile during a song is just a bit boring.
I just checked on YT, if you search for GLS reaction videos there's 1000s of videos and about half of them being rappers.  ???

Here's some i've seen:

Musicologist reacts to
Photographers reacts to
Rapper reacts to
Rescue Dog reacts to
Ariana Grande fan reacts to
Event Technician reacts to
Homeschooling Mom of 11 Reacts to

I know it's more than just NW but I feel so outdated on what's going on.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3307 on: May 10, 2020, 07:31:59 AM »
For some reason i've seen a wave of new NW reaction videos of Ghost Love Score on YT and other songs. It's so funny how some of them react like they've never heard of the concept of music.  :lol

It's cool seeing people getting excited for cool music they've never heard but some reactions feels so incredible forced like they know if they react positive and amazed they will get a bunch of likes from fans of the respective band.

Yeah you can tell that a good number of them are because the word is out "Want a quick 1000 subs... react to Ghost Love Score".  However, there are also a good number who are genuinely moved and become fans, even a few who were there initially for the subs

Yea, same for Pisces by Jinjer.

I'm not a big fan of normal react videos. I like when pros will analyze or discuss what is happening or if it's someone who is not normally into that thing. But seeing a random person open their mouth and smile during a song is just a bit boring.
I just checked on YT, if you search for GLS reaction videos there's 1000s of videos and about half of them being rappers.  ???

Here's some i've seen:

Musicologist reacts to
Photographers reacts to
Rapper reacts to
Rescue Dog reacts to
Ariana Grande fan reacts to
Event Technician reacts to
Homeschooling Mom of 11 Reacts to

I know it's more than just NW but I feel so outdated on what's going on.  :lol

It's easy money. Reaction videos and top ten lists are the best way to get subscribers and that youtube money.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: May 10, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »
I don't think you can make any money once you put the copyright music in the video, but yea, its for attention to your channel.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: May 12, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
Was just watching an Instragram chat from Floor, last week of April, and she pretty much said chances for the US tour are pretty much slim to none.  Yeah, we figured that, but it still sucks to hear her say it.

It's funny like many of you were mentioning about the youtube reactors getting mad subscription and $$$ of the Night wish reactions.  I really enjoy a lot of the reaction vids.  You can pretty much tell the folks who are genuine in their reaction and the ones who instantly get rabidly hooked on the band!  Those are the ones I enjoy.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3310 on: May 12, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »
It sucks that the recent concerts of Floor had to be cancelled, as she succesfully crowdfunded a dvd-recording. I reaaally loved that show back in January. That said, they will eventually still do the show and record it. But I assume as soon as concerts are allowed again, Nightwish takes the priority.

And in regards to Nightwish here, I think the current plans of our government are no large concerts/events until there is a vaccine. So unless the viral outbreak has died down or other major developments have happened, even the Nightwish Ziggodome concerts late 2020 seem like they will be cancelled (having a vaccine tested and then produced on a global time takes time, even with the fast tracked development and testing). I also think many EU countries will have similar plans. Though hopefully they can repurpose larger event halls for concerts with smaller crowds (as the space in those arenas does allow for a lot of flexability).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3311 on: May 14, 2020, 01:40:26 AM »
Throwing in the randomest of tidbits: I really like the ending of Harvest, the simplicity of the little touch of rounding up the chorus with doubling on "surrender to earth" and conclude with "Arrive alive" is a very nice way to end the song.

Some more ramblings: when I'll get back to work, it will be finally time to have a Nightwish compilation to listen to, and I always like to create my compilations organizing them as setlists of an imaginary show. The "problems" I have is making room for all the songs - I must be the only one not crazy about Tribal, but that's the only song I wouldn't put in my compilation / setlist, but I'd love to include all the other 8 songs, which would hardly leave room for all the other old songs I'd like to sneak in (yeah, I'm having imaginary problems in creating an imaginary setlist.... I remind you we're on a prog metal forum, stranger things have happened  ;D)

Also, I have doubts about the opening. What do you reckon will be the opening song of the new shows? I'm undecided between Music and Noise. Noise would start things off with a good punch, but if you don't put Music as the first song, where else do you put it in the set? as first encore? it's a weird song, in the context of the excitement of a live show I think it has a too slow buildup until the second chorus finally gets things going. Maybe if they have a big theatrical production they could work around it having people concentrated on the scenery and Floor singing with the spotlight basically all on herself, but I can't see it as the opening song as of now. Heck, maybe they won't even play it. In my imaginary world they'd definitively would, only I don't know where to put it in the "set"  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:25:31 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3312 on: May 14, 2020, 05:28:25 AM »
I would expect Music to be first followed by Noise.  But wouldn't be surprised if they swapped those two for the reasons you stated. 

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3313 on: May 14, 2020, 08:01:09 AM »
I fully expect Music to be the opener.  Probably everything up until Floor starts singing to be piped in as the band comes to the stage.  Different from their usual openers, but it makes sense - I don't think too many would be upset about it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3314 on: May 14, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »
I fully expect Music to be the opener.  Probably everything up until Floor starts singing to be piped in as the band comes to the stage.  Different from their usual openers, but it makes sense - I don't think too many would be upset about it.

Well, I wouldn't be upset about it either. I'm just not convinced they would go for a song that starts with a mellow verse and a mellow chorus (actually, two mellow verses with a chorus in the middle), but I wouldn't be "OMG why on earth did they open with Music").

But sometimes bold choices to open a show are nice; I think for example that, even though it has a slow part in the middle and a slow coda, they could have opened the Dark Passion Play tour shows with The Pit and the Pendulum (Helloween opened their 2006-7 shows with the equally long The King for a 1000 Years for example), but I can see them not wanting to have Annette present herself to the live public with such a big, long and complex song.

Or maybe they really just felt that the best way to start those concerts was telling Tarja to phuck off  ;D

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3315 on: May 14, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Or maybe they really just felt that the best way to start those concerts was telling Tarja to phuck off  ;D
:lol

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3316 on: May 14, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »
If they are playing a festival (if festivals are ever a thing again) I wouldn't expect Music to open.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3317 on: May 14, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »
They could do some kind of cool video montage about tech/social media and then go into Noise.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3318 on: May 14, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it started with Ad Astra leading into Noise, perhaps with screens up during Ad Astra.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3319 on: May 15, 2020, 01:10:22 AM »
I see Ad Astra as more of a closing song, the "credits" playing while the band takes a bow and waves goodbye.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3320 on: May 18, 2020, 07:30:28 AM »
Calling all Nightwish fans... please feel free to join us on the Polls and Survivors as we embark on a 5-6 month adventure of pitting Nightwish songs against each other and finding out which song we as a forum deem the greatest.

This will feature every song from the studio albums as well as most of the unreleased songs. We will have a 25 Week regular season followed by a 64 song Championship Tournament.

Nightwish the League Home Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55111.0
Week 1-A - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55235.0

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3321 on: May 18, 2020, 07:38:57 AM »
Excellent  :hefdaddy

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3322 on: May 18, 2020, 07:39:01 AM »
It's gonna end with Ghost Love Score as the top song
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3323 on: May 18, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »
It's gonna end with Ghost Love Score as the top song

Hope not.

Tutenkamen all the way!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3324 on: May 18, 2020, 08:43:59 AM »
Well, I hope you're not a betting man, Adami  :lol