Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313861 times)

gazinwales and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3255 on: May 01, 2020, 01:04:37 PM »
I love Scaretale for the first minute and a half or whatever until Anette comes in. Actually, I like the first part of Anette's singing there, but when it gets real extra with the "burning farms..." it's a little silly even for me. But that first minute? Oh lord. One of the most powerful moments in Nightwish's entire discography. Playing it loudly on a good set of speakers is divine.

I've always really liked the song, but you are right that the intro is so damn good to that song, best part of the song.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3256 on: May 01, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
Well, if you haven't heard the Luca Turilli's Rhapsody records with Alessandro Conti on vocals, then I think you're going to be in for quite a surprise, I think. And a little Deepak Chopra.  :lol Let me know what you think whenever you hear it.

I just revisited the circus part of Scaretale. Marco's singing is uh... something  :lol

I heard a few songs from it and they weren't for me. Not bad, but a bit meh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3257 on: May 01, 2020, 01:09:54 PM »
Scaretale's circus section is way, way, way, way better than the "grunting apes" part of Tribal, the one with the skeleton dance in the video.

Fight me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3258 on: May 01, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »
Scaretale's circus section is way, way, way, way better than the "grunting apes" part of Tribal, the one with the skeleton dance in the video.

Fight me.

I'll not only fight you, but Adami. At the same time. In the snow!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #3259 on: May 01, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »

Fight me.

I'll not only fight you, but Adami. At the same time. In the snow!

BRING IT! I WILL MAKE YOU A GOD DAMN SNOW ANGEL WHEN I'M DONE!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3260 on: May 01, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
I think I just leaked a little. I wasn't ready for that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3261 on: May 01, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »
I've only listened to the new album a couple times. I don't remember any grunting apes.

Offline 425

« Reply #3262 on: May 01, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
It's about 2:00 into Tribal.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3263 on: May 01, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
It's about 2:00 into Tribal.

Right. That's not a deal breaker. I actually prefer that to the animal noises in TGSOE. I made an edit removing those, using the instrumental and orchestral versions. Could be worse I suppose. The next album might have Floor full on death metal growling through a whole song. Just because she can, doesn't mean she should.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3264 on: May 01, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
I watched some tracks from Decades last night, man that performance of TGSOE is so damn good.  The full intro with Toumas and Troy is so beautiful.  I kind of always felt the song is pretty bloated, but that intro worked really well with both of them.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3265 on: May 01, 2020, 03:55:51 PM »
I love Scaretale for the first minute and a half or whatever until Anette comes in. Actually, I like the first part of Anette's singing there, but when it gets real extra with the "burning farms..." it's a little silly even for me. But that first minute? Oh lord. One of the most powerful moments in Nightwish's entire discography. Playing it loudly on a good set of speakers is divine.

The part that gets me is the cartoony Disney way she says "Blind Me" with that echo. :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3266 on: May 01, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »

Fight me.

I actually like that part of Tribal. It fits better than Scaretales grunts. It will be amazing to hear them do that rhythm live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: May 01, 2020, 04:20:46 PM »

Fight me.

I actually like that part of Tribal. It fits better than Scaretales grunts. It will be amazing to hear them do that rhythm live.

I like that part too, it fits the song.  I think the circus music fits Scaretale too which is why I don't hate it even though musically I don't love it, I understand it fits the song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3268 on: May 01, 2020, 04:26:03 PM »

Fight me.

I like that part too, it fits the song.  I think the circus music fits Scaretale too which is why I don't hate it even though musically I don't love it, I understand it fits the song.

I'm like Kattle, I used to really enjoy it. Now, I have to really want to listen to it. That circus part fits great, especially after watching the Movie.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3269 on: May 01, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »
Scaretale is great, but does drag a bit for me after it's initial minutes. I also think the ape sounds in Tribal are great.

And the end section of Shoemaker is probably my favourite operatic part of Floor, it sounds so great.

*sniffle* I'm not crying.

You should really check out that Turilli/Lione album though, if you like that super high-end symphonic, theatrical stuff. You'd like it.

Yea, my main problem with Luca, as I said, is that all just started sounding the same. WAY too much for me. When I know exactly what chords/melodies you're going to do before you do it, I tend to check out.

If you recommend it though, I'll give it a listen.

For what it's worth, I think the latest Turilli/Lione album is not a classic-Rhapsody rehash, despite it obviously having all the trademark sounds of both Turilli and Lione (kind of like this latest Nightwish album, actually). I think the album has a more electronic ("modern") feel to the classical sounds/orchestrations than in the past, which does give it a bit of a different vibe for me. The album is about science fiction, rather than dark lords and dwarves and stuff. And it sounds like it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3270 on: May 02, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
BTW, I'm watching Floor videos and it's already twice that she mentioned she kinda hopes to see people doing the "skeleton dance" from Tribal so I think it's a given that it will be the setlist. She also said that Shoemaker isn't really a live song but if so many people seem to appreciate it, they might consider it after all. She also looks forward a lot to How's the Heart.

I hope they do have Shoemaker in the setlist, it's one of my favorite songs on the album  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3271 on: May 02, 2020, 01:09:43 PM »
I love Emppu, but mostly for his personality and how that comes out in his playing and on stage. Strictly as a guitarist I wouldn't say he's underrated at all. He's very very mediocre. He hits all the right notes, and that's awesome, but there's nothing that really stands out about his playing other than his personality, which again, I love.

Then when I was lucky enough to meet the whole band, he was the only one who asked me questions and showed a genuine interest in talking. So, if anything, I'd say he's underrated as a human being.
I would say Emppu is way beyond a mediocre guitar player. His rhythm playing is right up there with Hetfield and he can pull off some pretty technical solos and unisons. Gethsemane and Stargazer come to mind. He has his shining moments, but his role in Nightwish is more rhythmic.
 He does come across as a great human being too.  I get a good laugh when I see him drinking beer on stage.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

« Reply #3272 on: May 02, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
I hate that I'm having to argue against Emppu since I love him, but no he is NOT right up there with hetfield. He's fine, not bad at all, but nowhere near Hetfield level of rhythm and he can do some of the complex stuff in the studio but either skips it live or really struggles with it.

Not a knock. He doesn't HAVE to be amazing. He does his job just right.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3273 on: May 02, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »
It's all good, no argument here. I just wanted to point out his strong points. I'm also pretty impressed with his live playing. He's got a really good stage presence.
Btw, does he play the same guitar (purple ESP) all the time, or does he just have a bunch of the same model for live shows?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3274 on: May 02, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
He probably has a few for different tunings and such, and I think he changed models over the years as well, but probably not like a lineup of guitars or anything. It's not that difficult to just use one guitar consistently, just ask Brian May!

Blast from the past with this guitar discussion, "Emppu should have kept using Washburn" is the NW fandom version of "John Petrucci should have kept using Ibanez".

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3275 on: May 02, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »
Interesting, I'll have to look that up. Washburn makes great guitars and I always wanted to try out the Tevor Rabin signature model. I've heard nothing but good about it.
I was kind of late on the Nightwish train, so I had no idea Emppu played Washburn guitars.  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3276 on: May 02, 2020, 02:19:15 PM »
i love every moment of Scaretale.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3277 on: May 02, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »
I watched some tracks from Decades last night, man that performance of TGSOE is so damn good.  The full intro with Toumas and Troy is so beautiful.  I kind of always felt the song is pretty bloated, but that intro worked really well with both of them.

I think I’m one of the only ones who think TGSOE is an absolute masterpiece beginning to end, even with the animal/nature sounds. It unwinds in a great way and it’s very soothing. Listening to the whole thing on a big stereo or a great pair of headphones is (dare I say) the ultimate Nightwish experience.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3278 on: May 02, 2020, 03:54:34 PM »
I was kind of late on the Nightwish train, so I had no idea Emppu played Washburn guitars.  :metal
Wikipedia says he used them up until 2004, so I guess the coolest thing to watch for them is their From Wishes To Eternity DVD. This was before Marco, so they had guest vocals from Tapio Wilska and Tony Kakko on two of the songs, and it's a great setlist. I probably know it frame by frame tbh  :hat they have a number of great recordings from the early days, but this is like the foundational text.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3279 on: May 02, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »

I think I’m one of the only ones who think TGSOE is an absolute masterpiece beginning to end, even with the animal/nature sounds. It unwinds in a great way and it’s very soothing. Listening to the whole thing on a big stereo or a great pair of headphones is (dare I say) the ultimate Nightwish experience.

I always really liked it but started to love it later on. The live versions are superior though, Endless Forms Most Beautiful can sound a bit lifeless sometimes. Love the Tampere and Decades performances.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3280 on: May 03, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »
Wikipedia says he used them up until 2004, so I guess the coolest thing to watch for them is their From Wishes To Eternity DVD. This was before Marco, so they had guest vocals from Tapio Wilska and Tony Kakko on two of the songs, and it's a great setlist. I probably know it frame by frame tbh  :hat they have a number of great recordings from the early days, but this is like the foundational text.

That's a great concert dvd, what's funny is they are playing a club but that type of venue is still similar to what you might see them in the US, or at least I had before. That type of sweaty club show is so good for that raw music they were playing back then. Tarja is so good on that too plus lots more activity from Emppu

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3281 on: May 08, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
For some reason i've seen a wave of new NW reaction videos of Ghost Love Score on YT and other songs. It's so funny how some of them react like they've never heard of the concept of music.  :lol

It's cool seeing people getting excited for cool music they've never heard but some reactions feels so incredible forced like they know if they react positive and amazed they will get a bunch of likes from fans of the respective band.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3282 on: May 08, 2020, 12:30:40 PM »
For some reason i've seen a wave of new NW reaction videos of Ghost Love Score on YT and other songs. It's so funny how some of them react like they've never heard of the concept of music.  :lol

It's cool seeing people getting excited for cool music they've never heard but some reactions feels so incredible forced like they know if they react positive and amazed they will get a bunch of likes from fans of the respective band.

Yeah you can tell that a good number of them are because the word is out "Want a quick 1000 subs... react to Ghost Love Score".  However, there are also a good number who are genuinely moved and become fans, even a few who were there initially for the subs

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: May 08, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »

I can't stand these videos... having said that, I did record one of myself listening to Tribal for the first time because I've been feeling like I have a lack of ideas for youtube videos at the moment.  I watched it after and deleted it, thought it was terrible.  I didn't force anything, but I also just felt it was super boring and uninteresting.  I did tweet 3 seconds of it, during the chanting part that was discussed here recently  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #3284 on: May 08, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »

Yeah you can tell that a good number of them are because the word is out "Want a quick 1000 subs... react to Ghost Love Score".  However, there are also a good number who are genuinely moved and become fans, even a few who were there initially for the subs

Yea, same for Pisces by Jinjer.

I'm not a big fan of normal react videos. I like when pros will analyze or discuss what is happening or if it's someone who is not normally into that thing. But seeing a random person open their mouth and smile during a song is just a bit boring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3285 on: May 08, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
Lost In Vegas remains the only channel I pay attention to.

The only exception is whenever Eminem drops a new song or album, because it is absolutely hilarious to watch some people make the "oh that's NASTY/DOPE" face when they hear great wordplay or flow. Sometimes I look those up just for fun to see if they react the same way I do  :lol

The cringiest one I ever saw was a reaction to Ghost Love Score and the woman started bawling her freaking eyes out 2 seconds after Floor opened her mouth, fanning herself and everything. Just stop  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3286 on: May 08, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »
In other news, Wishmaster is 20 years old!!!! Released on this day in 2000!

Hamster!
A dentist!
Hard porn!
Steven Seagal!

:metal

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3287 on: May 08, 2020, 01:25:31 PM »
 :metal  Too bad they didn't (don't) have the popularity to be Weird Al'd

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3288 on: May 08, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »
In other news, Wishmaster is 20 years old!!!! Released on this day in 2000!

Hamster!
A dentist!
Hard porn!
Steven Seagal!

:metal

That video used to crack me up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3289 on: May 08, 2020, 04:28:39 PM »
This still doesn't hit me very hard, but the day Once turns 20 years old, prepare to hear me whine and bitch about being let into the old fogey thread early. Like, that was "the new Nightwish album". Nowadays it's about as far back as people go .