Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313900 times)

Online fadetoblackdude7

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3220 on: April 29, 2020, 07:23:34 PM »
Indeed, the mix is superb! Something I was definitely hoping they’d fix from the last album and they did.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3221 on: April 29, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
Yea, it's a big step up mix wise.

Though I'd say Imaginaerum has their best mix for my tastes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3222 on: April 30, 2020, 12:56:38 AM »
I don't have imaginarium yet, but now you're making me want to buy it.  I need to open my mind to Annette's vocals, which is kind of hard to do after getting spoiled by Floor.
 But yeah, the new album does sound amazing!  :metal

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3223 on: April 30, 2020, 01:19:30 AM »
Imaginareum is still my favorite Nightwish album!

But this one is fantastic. I'm listening to it right now. I've listened once to it every day since its release. Amazing songs, I'm onto Shoemaker and this song is one of my favorites, but I have a hard time picking up one because the whole album is so damn strong and consistent.

Also, as I said before I made a 15 minutes edit version of the entire second disc, with the parts I prefer, to make it an easier listening experience, and have in the end a "single album" 65 minutes long.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3224 on: April 30, 2020, 01:34:13 AM »
Imaginareum is still my favorite Nightwish album!

But this one is fantastic. I'm listening to it right now. I've listened once to it every day since its release. Amazing songs, I'm onto Shoemaker and this song is one of my favorites, but I have a hard time picking up one because the whole album is so damn strong and consistent.

Also, as I said before I made a 15 minutes edit version of the entire second disc, with the parts I prefer, to make it an easier listening experience, and have in the end a "single album" 65 minutes long.
Yeah I like disk 2, but I don't see myself listening to it on a regular basis. I get what they were going for, but I would have preferred a double disc album consisting of some more Rockers and MORE FLOOR like disk 1.  I can see why you edited to 15 minutes on disk 2.
 The first disc is musical bliss as far as I'm concerned, maybe even the best stuff they've ever done. Every song is just awesome,  10/10.
This is nothing new, but I wish they would let Emppu have the spotlight with lead guitar some more. He is a great guitar player and should not be back-seated by the Keys.  Just an observation, but his rhythm tracks more than make up for it!  :metal
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:41:28 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3225 on: April 30, 2020, 03:17:08 AM »
Emppu is one of the most underrated guitarists out there. He has a lot of style and personality in his playing, and he's super recognizable, put him in a pile of other guitarists and make a medley and I'll always be able to point him out. But Tuomas isn't into writing in some space for guitar solos anymore.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: April 30, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »
Emppu is one of the most underrated guitarists out there. He has a lot of style and personality in his playing, and he's super recognizable, put him in a pile of other guitarists and make a medley and I'll always be able to point him out. But Tuomas isn't into writing in some space for guitar solos anymore.

Is it possible Emppu is totally on board with less involvement and spotlight?

I think the spotlight is one issue this band has and it's a good issue to have.  Lots of talent, 3 voice, pipes, Troy adds guitars too... it's hard to spread the love so everyone shines.  I think they did well on this album although of course I would love more Floor and Emppu.

Offline 425

« Reply #3227 on: April 30, 2020, 10:20:10 AM »
Is it just me, or is there no listing for songwriting credits on this album? I can't find any on the CD packaging or official website. Are we just to assume Tuomas wrote the whole thing? I'm sure he wrote most of it, but every previous album has at least one song credited to Emppu or Marco.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3228 on: April 30, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
Is it just me, or is there no listing for songwriting credits on this album? I can't find any on the CD packaging or official website. Are we just to assume Tuomas wrote the whole thing? I'm sure he wrote most of it, but every previous album has at least one song credited to Emppu or Marco.

I took a look at the jewel case version and you’re right, band credits aren’t listed there for some strange reason. But they are on the other versions if I’m not mistaken.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3229 on: April 30, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
I noticed that too, no band credits. Weird!   There is credits for the symphony and choir though. I wonder if it's an oversight with the omission of the band credits or just an artsy fartsy move. lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #3230 on: April 30, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
So it’s the opposite of the Road Salt albums?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: April 30, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »

Is it possible Emppu is totally on board with less involvement and spotlight?
Yeah, definitely. He doesn't really have an ego and doesn't need to be the guitar hero.

I thiiiiiink Marco wrote his song but don't quote me on that.

So it’s the opposite of the Road Salt albums?
:lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline 425

« Reply #3232 on: April 30, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »

I took a look at the jewel case version and you’re right, band credits aren’t listed there for some strange reason. But they are on the other versions if I’m not mistaken.

Huh, that's weird. I have the jewel case version, and I'd be interested to know who wrote what, so if anyone has a version that does list the songwriting credits and doesn't mind posting something like a list of what isn't just solely credited to Tuomas, I'd appreciate it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3233 on: April 30, 2020, 02:46:40 PM »
Speaking of Emppu, I much prefer him in Brother Firetribe. You know, the band he actually plays guitars for.  :lol

I've warmed up a bit to this new Nightwish. I like it more than Endless Forms, definitely. But I don't quite think the highs are as high as Imaginaerum's, for me. I really dig the orchestral epic at the end and don't care one bit that Floor isn't dominating that track, in fact I actually like that it doesn't try to force in words. In fact the only song I haven't warmed up to is Shoemaker, it's the My Walden of this record for me, just can't get into it at all. Harvest would be the runner-up; I like the melodies and the mood but Troy just isn't that compelling to me. It certainly adds a new dimension to Nightwish's sound that I hadn't previously considered, which is cool.

I think How's the Heart? might be my favorite of the record right now - or Music. Not sure where this album ranks compared to the others yet.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: April 30, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »
For me, I think EFMB is still their best, but I'm not really sure where to rank this album compared to the rest.  It's probably somewhere in the middle maybe slightly under the middle really and that's not because it's bad, I think I just like albums like Once, Imaginarium, and EFMB more.  I'm not ready to say how it compared to DPP, Century Child, or Wishmaster which I feel is the level this is at.  (BTW, all amazing albums IMO).  I think it's better than Angels Fall First and Oceanborn though

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3235 on: May 01, 2020, 05:43:07 AM »
Speaking of Emppu, I much prefer him in Brother Firetribe. You know, the band he actually plays guitars for.  :lol
They were kind of ahead of the times with the 80's rock revival thing  :metal Pekka Heino is one of my favorite singers, and Emppu one of my fave guitarists, so that's a match made in heaven. I remember reading their forums and just generally having a blast tracking their progress in the very beginning, hope they last until the next Nightwish break so I can actually see them play live.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:52:14 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Offline Adami

« Reply #3236 on: May 01, 2020, 06:08:15 AM »
I love Emppu, but mostly for his personality and how that comes out in his playing and on stage. Strictly as a guitarist I wouldn't say he's underrated at all. He's very very mediocre. He hits all the right notes, and that's awesome, but there's nothing that really stands out about his playing other than his personality, which again, I love.

My favorite memories of Emppu were at their show in San Diego in 2012. I was driving to the gig and ended up being right behind their tour bus and his head was out the window like a dog and it was god damn adorable how excited he seemed. Then when I was lucky enough to meet the whole band, he was the only one who asked me questions and showed a genuine interest in talking. So, if anything, I'd say he's underrated as a human being.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: May 01, 2020, 06:12:55 AM »
Brother Firetribe did a Facebook live acoustic perfomance on April 28th (if memory serves correct) , so check that out if you like BF and weren't aware.

Emppu appears on the upcoming album but is no longer an active member of the band.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3238 on: May 01, 2020, 06:29:12 AM »
So he quit playing guitar?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3239 on: May 01, 2020, 10:08:44 AM »
I don't have imaginarium yet, but now you're making me want to buy it.  I need to open my mind to Annette's vocals, which is kind of hard to do after getting spoiled by Floor.

I've pointed this out before, but I'll say it again:  Imaginarium has two things going for it: Musically, it is stellar.  And vocally, it was written with Anette's voice in mind, so her vocals fit in seemlessly.  To contrast that with DPP, that album was not really written with her voice in mind as part of the plan, so sometimes she sound really good; other times, less so.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #3240 on: May 01, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »

I've pointed this out before, but I'll say it again:  Imaginarium has two things going for it: Musically, it is stellar.  And vocally, it was written with Anette's voice in mind, so her vocals fit in seemlessly.  To contrast that with DPP, that album was not really written with her voice in mind as part of the plan, so sometimes she sound really good; other times, less so.

I very much agree with this. Anette gives a really strong performance on that album. She even nails the epic stuff, like Song of Myself, because it's actually written to her voice.

If it wasn't for Floor being so incredible, I'd say it was a shame Anette didn't get a third album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Adami

« Reply #3241 on: May 01, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
Anette was fantastic on that album. She was okay on DDP and she was much less than great live. She was serviceable much of the time live, but Nightwish needs much much more than that, which they got in spades with Floor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: May 01, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
Hard to argue with what you all are saying.  I do think Annette sounds fine on DPP, but she is much better on Imaginearium and she was never the greatest live.  Floor most certainly took it to the next level but songs like Storytime were better wtih Annette IMO. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3243 on: May 01, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »
The highs of Imaginaerum (re: Anette) are higher than DPP, but I prefer Anette's performance and melodies on DPP to Imaginaerum's. Imaginaerum is too uneven and hasn't aged as well for me, at least, if we're strictly talking about the vocal parts. Where I used to love Scaretale, I cringe at it now.

Offline 425

« Reply #3244 on: May 01, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
Scaretale is very "Tuomas trying to write a Disney song Tuomas." Depends, like many of Nightwish's more eccentric offerings, on the listener's tolerance of Tuomas's various oddities.

I like it. Probably least out of all the songs on the album, but that's my second-favorite Nightwish album, so it's still pretty good. The main flaw in my book is that either Tuomas or Marco, or both, do not know how to pronounce "morgue" in English/French, and thus make it two syllables ("morg-way").
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Adami

« Reply #3245 on: May 01, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »
I love Scaretale, but I also love weirder songs that try new things. One of my issues is when bands play it safe and know exactly what works and just continue to do that as much as possible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3246 on: May 01, 2020, 12:00:50 PM »
Tossing another coin in the "Annette was great on Imaginaerum but now that they have Floor all is nice and happy".

How Mike Portnoy phrased the split with Derek? "It was not what was wrong with Derek, but what was right Jordan". Well, same here I'd say. I like Dark Passion Play just fine, and as I said no longer than a page ago probably - Imaginaerum is still my favorite Nightwish album. But Floor is absolutely the perfect singer for the band, especially live.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: May 01, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
I love Scaretale for the first minute and a half or whatever until Anette comes in. Actually, I like the first part of Anette's singing there, but when it gets real extra with the "burning farms..." it's a little silly even for me. But that first minute? Oh lord. One of the most powerful moments in Nightwish's entire discography. Playing it loudly on a good set of speakers is divine.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3248 on: May 01, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
I love Scaretale for the first minute and a half or whatever until Anette comes in. Actually, I like the first part of Anette's singing there, but when it gets real extra with the "burning farms..." it's a little silly even for me. But that first minute? Oh lord. One of the most powerful moments in Nightwish's entire discography. Playing it loudly on a good set of speakers is divine.

I love it all! I love theatrical stuff.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3249 on: May 01, 2020, 12:48:28 PM »

Adami, is this a subtle admission of your love for Luca Turilli?  :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #3250 on: May 01, 2020, 12:50:57 PM »

Adami, is this a subtle admission of your love for Luca Turilli?  :biggrin:

Subtle? I own all of his Rhapsody albums (I think, maybe not the last 1-2) and his solo albums that are DAMN over the top.

I don't have his recent stuff, but mostly because I'm just too busy and he's too Luca. Also he just repeats himself WAY too much.

But his first two solo albums I love.

PROUDLY!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3251 on: May 01, 2020, 12:56:46 PM »
I don't remember what Scaretale sounds like, but I was never a fan of that circus section.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3252 on: May 01, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »
*sniffle* I'm not crying.

You should really check out that Turilli/Lione album though, if you like that super high-end symphonic, theatrical stuff. You'd like it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3253 on: May 01, 2020, 01:00:05 PM »
*sniffle* I'm not crying.

You should really check out that Turilli/Lione album though, if you like that super high-end symphonic, theatrical stuff. You'd like it.

Yea, my main problem with Luca, as I said, is that all just started sounding the same. WAY too much for me. When I know exactly what chords/melodies you're going to do before you do it, I tend to check out.

If you recommend it though, I'll give it a listen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: May 01, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »
Well, if you haven't heard the Luca Turilli's Rhapsody records with Alessandro Conti on vocals, then I think you're going to be in for quite a surprise, I think. And a little Deepak Chopra.  :lol Let me know what you think whenever you hear it.

I just revisited the circus part of Scaretale. Marco's singing is uh... something  :lol