Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316466 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3185 on: April 16, 2020, 04:16:58 PM »
I want to get high with Tuomas. I have SOOOOOOO many questions.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3186 on: April 17, 2020, 07:14:31 AM »
He definitely seems like a stoner to me. There's a significant overlap between wine drinkers and stoners  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3187 on: April 17, 2020, 07:15:49 AM »
No idea about being a stoner, but I was a bit surprised that he doesn't really listen to music anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3188 on: April 17, 2020, 08:44:57 AM »
Judging by how self-referential Nightwish is, I'm really not surprised  :P

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3189 on: April 17, 2020, 10:04:28 AM »
No idea about being a stoner, but I was a bit surprised that he doesn't really listen to music anymore.

Isn't it obvious. Nature is his Music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3190 on: April 17, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »

Isn't it obvious. Nature is his Music.

Well, apparently talk radio is his music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3191 on: April 17, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »
It's ironic, I first was exposed to Nightwish back around '15 I think?  I love Floor's voice and that was the hook for me along with the songs and symphonic nature of the music.  That being said....  After going through the catalogue the last 5 years I really think the "Perfect fit" album for me is Dark Passion Play.  Ironic because Annette is probably the least loved of the 3 by popular opinion.  Not sure if my love for DPP is because of her, the composition of the songs, or whatever.  I just know it's a fantastic album.

I have a hard time with anything before "Once", but that is an incredible album!!!.  As far as the 2 newer albums with Floor, I enjoy them but I wish they had the musical and emotional punch like DPP has.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3192 on: April 18, 2020, 04:17:30 AM »
Well, I'm 150% happy that Floor is in and 0% sad that Annette is gone, but Imaginareum is and remains my favorite Nightwish album. At least in those two studio albums she did with the band she did great and I have no complains at all about her.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3193 on: April 18, 2020, 04:56:54 AM »
Well, I'm 150% happy that Floor is in and 0% sad that Annette is gone, but Imaginareum is and remains my favorite Nightwish album. At least in those two studio albums she did with the band she did great and I have no complains at all about her.

It is the same for me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3194 on: April 18, 2020, 07:20:33 AM »
I agree whole heartedly with your Floor/Annette equation!  We've heard Floor perform a lot of songs off of both albums and she does a stellar job. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3195 on: April 18, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »
I fooled around a bit with a sound editor and I managed to make my own 15 minutes version (14:40) of the symphonic suite.

I've kept:

- Vista, but trimming away a bit of the intro to go into the vocalizing part directly
- The Blue
- The Moors by cutting the middle section to keep mainly the Ad Astra theme
- The final part of Anthropocene when there's the reprise of the Blue theme
- Ad Astra

It's not that I don't like the parts I've cut, I've just kept what are the personal highlights for me. A 15 minutes instrumental to round off the album is easier in future listening than sitting through 31 minutes of musical landscapes each and every time I listen to the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3196 on: April 18, 2020, 08:46:46 AM »
It's ironic, I first was exposed to Nightwish back around '15 I think?  I love Floor's voice and that was the hook for me along with the songs and symphonic nature of the music.  That being said....  After going through the catalogue the last 5 years I really think the "Perfect fit" album for me is Dark Passion Play.  Ironic because Annette is probably the least loved of the 3 by popular opinion.  Not sure if my love for DPP is because of her, the composition of the songs, or whatever.  I just know it's a fantastic album.

I have a hard time with anything before "Once", but that is an incredible album!!!.  As far as the 2 newer albums with Floor, I enjoy them but I wish they had the musical and emotional punch like DPP has.

DPP is my favorite too, and one of my top favs of all time. I think it’s because it was the first new album that I got to experience after getting into them. My best friend and I also saw that tour 3 times and I have so many memories of that album. I also have no problems with Anette.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3197 on: April 18, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »
I was actually watching some Annette live footage with NW last night.  I know she got a lot of crap for not beign able to sing the Tarja songs, but I always enjoyed her way of doing those songs, and Imaginarium was the pinnacle of using her properly IMO.  I like the band better today with Floor and Troy officially in the band, but I certainly enjoyed the Annette era as well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3198 on: April 18, 2020, 09:34:08 AM »
I agree whole heartedly with your Floor/Annette equation!  We've heard Floor perform a lot of songs off of both albums and she does a stellar job.

The main frustration with the band from my point of view (as a big Floor fan) is that pretty much every one of her most memorable performances since joining the band is performing older songs live.  I have the feelng i am not alone there.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3199 on: April 18, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
Every time I see someone write about DPP I can't help but think

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3200 on: April 20, 2020, 05:33:34 AM »
I'm not sure I saw this posted here yet?

How's the Heart (acoustic)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3201 on: April 20, 2020, 06:38:46 AM »
I'm not sure I saw this posted here yet?

How's the Heart (acoustic)
It was pleasant enough until that last chorus and then DAMN.

Floor is just ridiculously great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3202 on: April 20, 2020, 07:36:36 AM »
She is incredible. Awesome performance.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3203 on: April 21, 2020, 04:40:28 PM »
Could well be, I assumed it was about candles.

That makes a bit more sense  :lol, but with all the nature lyrics and themes, plus Toumos literally hugging a tree in the Noise music video, kind of makes me think he smokes a bit of the herb.
I've changed my mind about this. Pretty sure the song is about not giving up when feeling suicidal, and "burn the rope" is a reference to a noose. Particularly as the in the big final chorus (not including the quiet coda), it's "dull the blade" instead of "burn the rope".

It's a good example of Nightwish's inconsistency when it comes to lyrics - I love the chorus lyrics and find them really emotive now I realise what the song is about, but the verses are all quite awkwardly phrased.

EDIT: I should add, the verse lyrics are also good to read independently, it's just the phrasing that's weird.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: April 21, 2020, 05:01:06 PM »
Nice, good find to give some clarity.  I've actually enjoyed some of the lyrics on this album so far.  With all the lyrics videos they posted it makes it a bit easier to get into them but as you stated and others before, there's some inconsistencies plus the english always makes it a bit harder to truly understand.  Also, I'm so far from having any poetic thoughts or interpretations (I really struggled with this in high school english) that me finding literal references makes more sense in my mind.

Offline 425

« Reply #3205 on: April 21, 2020, 09:31:57 PM »
I'm listening to this for the first time right now, having not heard any of the singles. I'm still in the middle of the first disc, but so far I think y'all might be underselling how different this is.

There's a clear through-line from Once to Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and even though each of those albums more or less has its own identity, by the time of EFMB there were a lot of Tuomas songwriting staples that you could call out one by one (DCoW = Storytime = SBTB, WIHAA = BBB = WF, IWMTB = MW, LRotD = Alpenglow, etc.).

So far, on this album, I'm not hearing anything that reminds me overly of something else. On the contrary, I'm hearing a lot of songs that feel very different in sound and songwriting from anything they've done previously. Which is a pleasant surprise, because after EFMB, I thought there was a solid chance that Tuomas was settling into a rut.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3206 on: April 22, 2020, 08:33:16 AM »
I think there are similarities, Noise sounds like many other NW songs.  Harvest reminds me of My Walden and Endlessness reminds me of Rest Calm.  There's definitely lots of new ideas too.  I think overall the album is different, but still very much NW.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3207 on: April 22, 2020, 08:45:43 AM »
Yeah, some bits are definitely familiar, but I breathed a sigh of relief when the album went by and I didn't hear the Dark Chest of Wonders riff once. Once I had a dream, and this was truly it  :hat

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3208 on: April 22, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »
As I said before, I think that Noise is the "mh, we need a single" song and Tribal is "Damn, we don't have enough heavy stuff on the album" song. Everything else feels fresh, new and very inspired.

Well, not new-new-superbrand new, it's still Nightwish of course, it's not that they never used folky influences or operatic sections before, but all the other songs are great and I have heard the album every day since its release, and I'm not planning to stop anytime soon - especially now that I created my edit version of the instrumental suite that does not go over 15 minutes.

Well, working from home helps a lot in this regard, some days I run out of stuff  to listen to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3209 on: April 22, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »
I have heard the album every day since its release, and I'm not planning to stop anytime soon

I've put a slow down on my listens, I didn't want to burn it out so quick. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3210 on: April 22, 2020, 10:09:45 AM »
I listened to it when it came out...  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

« Reply #3211 on: April 22, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
Sure, it's not like they went from symphonic metal to polka, but within the broad category of "symphonic metal with folk influence," they went pretty far away from what they'd done previously. I basically agree with the "pretty different, but still Nightwish" assessment.

Put another way, if you'd asked me in 2014 to guess what the next Nightwish album would sound like, I would pretty much be able to describe something very similar to EFMB to you (maybe with the exception of parts of The Greatest Show on Earth). But if you'd asked me in 2019 to guess, I think I would have been pretty far off the mark.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3212 on: April 22, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
I'm listening to this for the first time right now, having not heard any of the singles. I'm still in the middle of the first disc, but so far I think y'all might be underselling how different this is.

There's a clear through-line from Once to Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and even though each of those albums more or less has its own identity, by the time of EFMB there were a lot of Tuomas songwriting staples that you could call out one by one (DCoW = Storytime = SBTB, WIHAA = BBB = WF, IWMTB = MW, LRotD = Alpenglow, etc.).

So far, on this album, I'm not hearing anything that reminds me overly of something else. On the contrary, I'm hearing a lot of songs that feel very different in sound and songwriting from anything they've done previously. Which is a pleasant surprise, because after EFMB, I thought there was a solid chance that Tuomas was settling into a rut.

Oh I agree, the album is quite a bit different, except for Noise. Ofcourse it is recognisable as Nightwish and it contains all the elements that we associate with them, but I think the album feels really fresh as a whole.

Even the orchestral disc explores a different aspect of Tuomas' songwriting. The orchestral tracks on his Scrooge album sounded like Nightwish a lot and obviously the Imaginarium film soundtrack did as well, but the nature disc does not feel like a retread of the typical NW-orchestral parts. Say what you will about the concept of the second disc, I do think he was inspired to do new things for himself and with the band.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3213 on: April 22, 2020, 02:32:16 PM »
I love the lead melody right at 3:00 in Harvest. Man, is that tasty!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: April 22, 2020, 02:45:00 PM »

I really love the instrumental section of that song.  Really good song overall that wasn't an instant love when it came out as a single but has really grown on me

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3215 on: April 22, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »

I really love the instrumental section of that song.  Really good song overall that wasn't an instant love when it came out as a single but has really grown on me

Same!

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3216 on: April 23, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
I instantly loved Shoemaker, but now the whole album after a few more listens.  It helped imagining how the songs will sound live.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3217 on: April 23, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »
I just can't get into How's Your Heart?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3218 on: April 24, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »
Just listened to the album for the first time last night, and loved it the first listen. Then I listened to it two more times over a six pack of beer and cranked it loud!
 This is ear candy, the production is very rich sounding and there is nothing that is overbearing in the mix at high volumes. Great songs, this album freakin ROCKS!   :tup :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3219 on: April 29, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »
Also, the drums sound amazing!   The feel of this album has a larger than life "live" kind of feel to it when cranked through a good stereo.
 The only shame about this release is that I wish disk 2 could be more like disk 1.    I mean you have a singer like Floor and decide to go instrumental.  :justjen

What do you guys think about the overall sound?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP