Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317662 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3115 on: April 02, 2020, 10:57:48 AM »
I liked Ad Astra quite a bit, so I hope I will be able to get enjoyment from disc 2 overall. I do love film/game soundtracks, and at least Ad Astra aligns with that interest.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3116 on: April 02, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »
Is Disc 2 orchestral only or does the band play? I wouldn't mind an instrumental metal Symphony, but if it's just an orchestra, I'll probably find it boring too.

Orchestral with minimal Floor vocals every now and then.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3117 on: April 02, 2020, 11:56:22 AM »
Disc 1 kicks ass.  It still has some orchestration, so it's pretty typical Nightwish.  Nice and heavy as well.

Disc 2 is purely orchestral in terms of music.  From what I sampled, there are no drums, guitars or bass at all. 

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3118 on: April 02, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »
Is there a lot of spoken word on this album?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3119 on: April 03, 2020, 09:56:57 PM »
I need to backtrack a little bit. Although I don't go out of my way to listen to classical/orchestral music, I do like some, especially movie scores. Adding metal just enhances it greatly. The band Damnation Angels is heavily orchestral, and the addition of metal is amazing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3120 on: April 07, 2020, 03:14:04 PM »
Gave a spin to Tuomas' solo albums, the Scrooge one and the Auri album.

Auri was so so. I like the ethereal and minimalistic approach, but at the end, the songs have to be there. At least half are good, the rest, while I wouldn't call any song bad, it's just.... there and quite forgettable.

The Scrooge album is fantastic, I didn't remember it was so good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3121 on: April 08, 2020, 07:45:48 AM »

Auri was so so. I like the ethereal and minimalistic approach, but at the end, the songs have to be there. At least half are good, the rest, while I wouldn't call any song bad, it's just.... there and quite forgettable.

The Scroodge album has some great moments. It was a passion project and it shows in my opinion. And honestly, as I grew up with the Scroodge material, I can't help but enjoy the subject matter.

I like Auri as well, that album is overall pretty different compared to his work on NW.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3122 on: April 08, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
Meanwhile, there are photos on the internet of fans with the physical copy of the new album, pre-orders did wonders.... after all the official release date is just 48 hours away.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3123 on: April 08, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
Meanwhile, there are photos on the internet of fans with the physical copy of the new album, pre-orders did wonders.... after all the official release date is just 48 hours away.
yes, it happens. It happened to me quite a bit, far more than once. (I got D/T two days ahead of time and DT12 three days ahead of time even. Harharharhar. Quite a few other albums as well.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:13:25 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3124 on: April 08, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
My copy won’t arrive until the 14th cuz I ordered it from Amazon and they’re prioritizing supplies for the virus.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #3125 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
My local record store had it in stock and is shipping it to me today, along with the new Testament. Should have both by the weekend.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3126 on: April 08, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »
I'm just getting the digital download, no point in waiting on amazon or risk delivieries in this time when I don't care one bit about collecting CDs anymore, but I do typically try to support my top bands with a physical purchase and NW does fall into that catagory.  However, if they release a tour version of the album, I'd get that which is what I did for EFMB which had a DVD of bonus stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #3127 on: April 09, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »

I love the Scrooge album. It's a rather unusual concept for an album, which I think makes it hard to sell people on, but it's executed really well.

I must admit I have not heard of the other one. I'll check it out at some point, but if it's as minimalistic as you say, it might just not be my thing.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3128 on: April 09, 2020, 04:57:55 PM »
Looks like Nightwish uploaded most (maybe all?) of the album to Youtube.

Not listening to it. Gonna download the album tomorrow (or tonight if it's out) and listen to it like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3129 on: April 09, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »
Looks like Nightwish uploaded most (maybe all?) of the album to Youtube.

Not listening to it. Gonna download the album tomorrow (or tonight if it's out) and listen to it like that.

I saw Music was up and I think its AWESOME but didn't realize the whole album was up.  I'll be checking the rest out now, but I still plan on getting it on amazon digital download later or tomorrow.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3130 on: April 10, 2020, 03:14:35 AM »
Just given the album a spin (kindoff).   

First half is Nightwish by numbers, although only a couple of tracks sounded really good first listen (Shoemaker and Pan).  The real issue is the second half which is so boring I actually started skipping after 10 minutes.   It's just so utterly limp - I mean I quite like orchestral music,  but this has no building, no peaks - it's just so flat.   Instead of being something that demands your attention it's just background noise.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3131 on: April 10, 2020, 08:07:53 AM »
4 songs in and at least it doesn't at all sound self-derivative the way EFMB does. So, digging it so far, but I'm at work, so it'll take a few more listens to digest. I'm mainly here for the big epic at the end, so we'll see how that goes. So far first impressions are better. I can't believe they only released 2 albums in the 2010s though. It's staggering to think that Imaginaerum was already 9 years ago. Wtf?

EDIT: Okay... first impressions: not terribly impressed, but first go round I think I enjoy it more than Imaginaerum, and definitely more than EFMB.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:37:08 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: April 10, 2020, 08:10:00 AM »
I think disc 1 is FANTASTIC, don't care for disc 2 it's just not my thing.  I need more listens to say more, but Pan was a stand out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3133 on: April 10, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
Well, that's definitely a Nightwish album! Wow. Loads to digest.

But I rolled my eyes so hard during the final track. Just more narrative gushing over the magical splendor of the world. We get it.

Definitely like this more than EFMB, no question. Tribal was the song that stood out the most on first listen.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3134 on: April 10, 2020, 10:13:29 AM »
As strange as this is to me, I believe NW is the only band whose whole studio discography is the only one I own physical copies of. That is quite remarkable, since there are many other bands I like more than them. So I oddly feel compelled to buy this, on that basis alone.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3135 on: April 10, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
As strange as this is to me, I believe NW is the only band whose whole studio discography is the only one I own physical copies of. That is quite remarkable, since there are many other bands I like more than them. So I oddly feel compelled to buy this, on that basis alone.

I bought it digitally, but at this rate of enjoying it so far, I may feel compelled to get a physical copy at some point too. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3136 on: April 10, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
I'll listen to it all after I bought it, but I checked out a few random songs from Youtube such as Shoemaker (or most of it) Music and I think Procession?

These are all very soft songs for Nightwish. Add that to Harvest, it seems this is a much lighter album? Maybe I just haven't heard the heavier songs yet outside of Noise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3137 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:45 AM »
Album release day!!!  :metal :metal :metal  Slow day at work and I have a decent speaker set up so I'll do a first listen review here....

DISC 1

Music - the 1:20 min Intro to me is kinda ..Meh. The song overall is kind of a change of pace, having a mellower intro to an album.  Floor sounds fantastic and the chorus is solid.  Good song, just a weird choice for an intro track to the album for me.

Noise - Not a first run for this of course.  I like this song more and more, which usually isn't the case for me on singles released.  The songs subject matter is so relevant these days and really hits home with me.  LOVE the chorus and the change up @ 3:14 is fucking BAD ASS!!!!!

Shoemaker - Nice underlying guitar riff in this one.  Troy sounds good!  Enjoying the ebb and flow of the song.  Floor's operatic section @ 3:55... FLOORGASMIC!!!  Nice ending!

Harvest - Again, not a first listen.  It's growing on me a little bit but it's just not my thing really.  A little too folky?  Troy does an excellent job vocally for sure though!  Feel like I should be in a lil Irish country village Pub, which would be kinda cool in itself.  Now when it kicks up a notch @ the 2:37 mark that's more my style!

Pan - Love Floor's tonal control, not sure what you call that when intentionally going out of tune and back in again? She does it masterfully though.  Nice driving chorus and solid dose of Emppu!!  Good song overall.

How's the Heart - This one is sounding like it should've been on EFMB (which I'm OK with).  Another really good chorus by Floor and pipes by Troy. Solid melodic track.

Procession - Vocal entry reminds me a bit of Tarja for some reason, the first few measures at least.  Nice keyboards around the 2:40 mark accompanied by some haunting Floor harmonizing.  I don't know why ... but this song makes me think of "Once" .  Really liking this one!

Tribal - Love the rythym! Great job by Kai through out this one!  OMG... Floors vocals @ 1:24!!!!  EPIC!!!  Kai @ 2:58  :metal :metal :metal .

Endlessness -   Love the melody, and Marco's vocals sound great!  Can't recall a vocal performance similar to this for him. The chorus around 3:45 has a bit of a haunting edge to it.  This is by far for me the best Floor/Marco duet.  This is a song I would love to see live!  One of my favorites on this album.

Overall a really good disc!!!!!  NOT disappointed at all!!!!

DISC 2

All the Works of Nature Which Adorn the World

Vista - spoken word intro and some beautiful cello.  This would be really fun as a backing soundtrack for one of my Diving video's! (As I'm gonna guess every segment of this whole composition might be)

The Blue - Harmonizing vocals and the rhythm of the music reminds me of a segment in TGSOE

The Green - Feels very peaceful and serene.  Beautiful composition and it flows nicely.

Moors - Intro of Beautiful pipes, Troy I'm assuming.  Then morphs into a dramatic cinematic theme.  All of these so far sound like potential soundtracks, this one especially.

Aurorae - Cinematic like the others

Quiet as the Show - Beautiful intro that builds into some nice violin segments.  Harmonizing chorus in the background sounds nice.

Anthropocene - Just a hint of middle eastern flavor.  Good track.

Ad Astra -  Closing with the same spoken word as "Vista".  Carl Sagan's "Mote of Dust" speech.  Very beautifully done and a nice finale!

Overall I think each segment is very enjoyable, I don't think I was bored with any 1 segment by itself.   Honestly though, I'm not an expert in orchestral composition so I'm not sure if it is cohesive as "One" work.  Not being my normal music I can't say how often I would sit down and listen to this 31 minute work.  At the end of the day though, while I appreciate the creative license, I would have rather had more mainstream Nightwish tracks. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3138 on: April 10, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
Went to disc 2 first. I'm not a hardcore Nightwish fan, but it absolutely baffles me how you can have one of the best vocalist in metal, and not use her at all for 40 whatever minutes of music. I'm speechless, and am sure that side won't see a second play from me.

Onto side one...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3139 on: April 10, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »
Went to disc 2 first. I'm not a hardcore Nightwish fan, but it absolutely baffles me how you can have one of the best vocalist in metal, and not use her at all for 40 whatever minutes of music. I'm speechless, and am sure that side won't see a second play from me.

Onto side one...

Only quoting this because I've seen this sentiment a lot this week and especially today, and it's something that's been eating me, so if it seems like I'm singling you out, RJ, I'm not:  but if the music is good, what does it matter that the singer isn't playing much? Emppu barely plays guitar on this record, it seems, yet I've seen not a single word about the lack of distortion. Or does the music require a singer to be good and/or interesting music? It seems like many Nightwish fans want Floor and that's all that matters, sophisticated symphonic compositions be damned, while ironically praising the band for its orchestral histrionics.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3140 on: April 10, 2020, 12:44:18 PM »

Onto side one...

Floor is utilized extremely well on the 2nd disc.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: April 10, 2020, 01:02:33 PM »
So this acoustic version  of How's the Heart was also just released today??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYtkPpFYzOo

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3142 on: April 10, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
First listen of the whole thing and my impression is good. I do wish there was a song or two more on the first disc, but what is there is all good. Second disc is very nice as well, but it is very much a chill soundtrack to nature, as advertised.

Sounds great!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3143 on: April 10, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »
First listen of the whole thing and my impression is good. I do wish there was a song or two more on the first disc, but what is there is all good. Second disc is very nice as well, but it is very much a chill soundtrack to nature, as advertised.

Sounds great!
Yeah, she really belts it out at the end!  Sounds really good.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:37:09 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3144 on: April 10, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »

Onto side one...

Only quoting this because I've seen this sentiment a lot this week and especially today, and it's something that's been eating me, so if it seems like I'm singling you out, RJ, I'm not:  but if the music is good, what does it matter that the singer isn't playing much? Emppu barely plays guitar on this record, it seems, yet I've seen not a single word about the lack of distortion. Or does the music require a singer to be good and/or interesting music? It seems like many Nightwish fans want Floor and that's all that matters, sophisticated symphonic compositions be damned, while ironically praising the band for its orchestral histrionics.

For me, I'm going for the total package. If I wanted nature music to meditate to, I'd search it out. When I think Nightwish, I'm thinking over the top symphonic metal with a strong female front. The first disc delivered that, though a bit underwhelming. The second disc is completely forgettable to me. Again, I'm not a big Nightwish fan by any means, it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3145 on: April 10, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Ah, yeah, that's fair then. All good! Thanks for elaborating.  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3146 on: April 10, 2020, 04:07:42 PM »
Ah, yeah, that's fair then. All good! Thanks for elaborating.  :tup

Yup...also consider, my intro to them was when I went to see Kamelot and Nightwish were the headliners. This happened to be Floor's second show after they booted Annette. It was a right place, right time thing, and they were just amazing, especially the energy they delivered. EFMB was a good album, not fantastic, just good. Not a ton of their back catalog intrigued me (I just can't get into the operatic vocal style). Honestly, my favorite output of theirs is the live album from the Waken show. That gets serious playtime for me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3147 on: April 11, 2020, 04:35:38 AM »
Super helpful comment on the YouTube video for the song Shoemaker:

This song is about Eugene Shoemaker. Here is his story.

Eugene Shoemaker was a geologist and a founder of modern planetary science. He studied craters on Earth and Moon, and realized that they were created by asteroid impacts. Shoemaker was the geology principal investigator for Apollo missions, and he also helped to train the Apollo astronauts that went to the Moon. He himself was a candidate for an Apollo Moon flight but was disqualified after being diagnosed with Addison's disease. Later in life, he said, "Not going to the Moon and banging on it with my own hammer has been the biggest disappointment in life."

Shoemaker spent much of his later years searching for undiscovered impact craters around the world. He died on July 18, 1997, in a car accident in Australia, where he was studying craters.
In 1999, as a recognition for his scientific accomplishments, some of his ashes were carried to the Moon by the Lunar Prospector space probe. His final resting place is close to the lunar south pole, in the Shoemaker crater, named after him.

The Shoemaker's urn was inscribed with a quotation from Romeo and Juliet reading:
"And, when he shall die
Take him and cut him out in little stars
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun."

He is the only human buried on celestial body other than Earth. After his death, he finally got to go where he always wanted to be.

I was wondering what the hell the lyrics had to with a literal shoemaker, as in "someone who makes shoes".  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: April 11, 2020, 07:51:59 AM »
Loving the new album. Spinning disc one more often for obvious reasons. Disc two is great, but I don't know how many times I'd actually revisit it. Masterful job by Floor. She is incredible (understatement).

Music is the standout track for me. Love everything about this song, and other then the very beginning, I get a huge Century Child vibe out of it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3149 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »
It is a good sign that I keep listening to this album. It is interesting that Noise to me is the odd one out in the sense that it feels like a very formulaic song whereas the rest feels fresh (obviously still with penty of common NW elements). I do really like Noise, however. And in the context of the album it is nice to have such a song.

My top 3 right now Pan>Music>Endlessness

Music was immediate love, Pan I liked but I am enjoying it more and more, Endessness took a couple of listens to grow, but it is excellent. Also, it gives me a modern Sonata Arctica vibe, especially the chorus.

As for disc two I probably enjoy The Blue, Ad Astra and Quiet as the Snow the most.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:47:33 AM by ErHaO »