Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313899 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3045 on: February 22, 2020, 12:48:50 PM »
I would be honored to have Floor scream like that at me, even in a terrible hungover state

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3046 on: February 22, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »
I would be honored to have Floor scream like that at me, even in a terrible hungover state
  :rollin :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3047 on: February 22, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »
I think your head would splode......but hey! what a way to go!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: February 23, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
Worth it  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3049 on: February 25, 2020, 04:38:13 AM »
Just announced: an US tour with Judas Priest and Sabaton.

Totally speculating but could it be that Sabaton bailed on Nightwish for the once in a lifetime occasion to tour with Judas Priest?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3050 on: February 25, 2020, 06:39:18 AM »

Totally speculating but could it be that Sabaton bailed on Nightwish for the once in a lifetime occasion to tour with Judas Priest?

Was wondering the same thing.  The Judas Priest tour is in arenas too, which is interesting.  Judas Priest hasn't exactly been filling up arenas over here lately (I think the last local shows were in theaters, and not selling out). So I don't know if they think Sabaton is going to make these big shows.  I almost think Nightwish/Sabaton would be a bigger draw at this point unless people really come out just because its Judas Priest's 50th anniversary (but judging by online comments, everyone is shitting on this tour for JP not touring with original musicians and for the the pairing (which I don't get, but it seems like the old school fans have no idea who Sabaton is)). 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3051 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:22 AM »
I would have loved to see the Nightwish/Sabaton/Delain bill again. I'd still be happy with Nightwish/Delain. They both have new albums out this year so it'd make sense.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3052 on: February 25, 2020, 04:22:57 PM »
I would have loved to see the Nightwish/Sabaton/Delain bill again. I'd still be happy with Nightwish/Delain. They both have new albums out this year so it'd make sense.
Yeah, that's the line-up we saw at the Greek a couple years ago.  Awesome show!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3053 on: February 25, 2020, 05:28:04 PM »
Indeed it was and I would enjoy it again... but it was very recent.  I could see why the bands wouldn't want to team up so quickly again.  Plus it's tough... who is bigger in the US right now? 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3054 on: February 26, 2020, 07:52:29 AM »

Was wondering the same thing.  The Judas Priest tour is in arenas too, which is interesting.  Judas Priest hasn't exactly been filling up arenas over here lately (I think the last local shows were in theaters, and not selling out). So I don't know if they think Sabaton is going to make these big shows.  I almost think Nightwish/Sabaton would be a bigger draw at this point unless people really come out just because its Judas Priest's 50th anniversary (but judging by online comments, everyone is shitting on this tour for JP not touring with original musicians and for the the pairing (which I don't get, but it seems like the old school fans have no idea who Sabaton is)).

Judas Priest has a huge legacy in the genre, but at this point in time in Europe the band is not near the popularity of Nightwish and even Sabaton plays significantly larger venues across Europe. Priest in The Netherlands is 013 these days, so a 3000 capacity. But the US market is obviously different in terms of venue size and fan distribution across the states.

On a sidenote, Nightwish sold out Ziggodome twice here, but that is obviously a result of the tv show, which is hugely popular here and Floor nailed it. But damn, seeing a metal band like this sell 34k tickets is nice to see for sure. They don't even have another band on the billing (yet? no opener?). Still, last time they sold out Ziggodome as well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:58:09 AM by ErHaO »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: February 26, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »
Yea, I don't follow JP closely, but I think they struggle to sell 2k tickets at this point, NW sells about that much and Sabaton sold out almost their entire NA tour last year to around 1-2k venues.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3056 on: February 26, 2020, 08:53:49 AM »
Sabaton are also HUGE Judas Priest fans.  They've been on record stating that they (Par & Joakim) formed the band one night while listening to Painkiller, deciding that they wanted to play music for a living.  So the opportunity to open for your heroes is likely one too large to pass up.  It also puts them in front of another new audience (having opened for Iced Earth, Nightwish, Accept, and Amon Amarth in the US). 

If they were the band that bailed on Nightwish, I think they did it for a good reason.  I'd be surprised if Nightwish wanted to tour with them again, having just done so 5 years ago, and seeing that Sabaton is headlining the same venues on their own in the US.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3057 on: February 28, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
What's your favourite Nightwish ballad (define 'ballad' however you want, within reason)?

Mine's still Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan from Once, but the more I listen to it, the more Our Decades In The Sun from EFMB edges closer to taking the top spot. Really beautiful song.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3058 on: February 28, 2020, 07:45:09 PM »
What's your favourite Nightwish ballad (define 'ballad' however you want, within reason)?

Mine's still Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan from Once, but the more I listen to it, the more Our Decades In The Sun from EFMB edges closer to taking the top spot. Really beautiful song.

Two For Tragedy, unless you really want to define ballad super broadly. Swanheart is also amazing. Their newer ballads are good, some great, but I really love those older ones.

Also, if you consider Slow Love Slow a ballad, then that one too. Though I don't like the argument that any song that is soft or has a soft first part is a ballad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3059 on: February 28, 2020, 07:49:54 PM »

I prefer the End of An Era version of that song, really good ballad.

I guess it'd be tied with Sleeping Sun as my fave ballad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3060 on: February 29, 2020, 12:57:57 AM »
Yeah, hard to chose but Sleeping Sun gets my pick.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3061 on: February 29, 2020, 05:38:23 AM »
Sleeping Sun for me also, followed by Meadows of Heaven.

Just saw the announcement that the GA tickets for the Russian show are sold out, nice. I bought my ticket in November or December I think, and the price doubled since then. I'll probably need to take a day off and get to the venue super-early, like 10 AM if I'm to get anywhere close to the front row.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3062 on: February 29, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »
Nightwish's brief NA tour will have support from Apocalyptica and the birthday massacre. Never heard of the opener but it will be cool to see Apocalyptica

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3063 on: February 29, 2020, 02:06:12 PM »
Sleeping Sun for me also, followed by Meadows of Heaven.

Just saw the announcement that the GA tickets for the Russian show are sold out, nice. I bought my ticket in November or December I think, and the price doubled since then. I'll probably need to take a day off and get to the venue super-early, like 10 AM if I'm to get anywhere close to the front row.
What if you have to Pee?!?!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3064 on: February 29, 2020, 02:11:38 PM »
Then he can have someone save his spot if they are nice enough.  That’s what I do all the time if I’m in line for a GA spot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3065 on: February 29, 2020, 02:13:50 PM »
 :lol

This prevents me from doing such things. I'd love to be upfront for the big bands but I'd have to go airplane mode of dehydrate myself so I dont have to pee which makes concerts less fun, but that's me. There's lots of value to hanging on the line and bonding with the people who put in the wait and openers just to be in front of the headliner.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: February 29, 2020, 11:49:37 PM »
Then he can have someone save his spot if they are nice enough.  That’s what I do all the time if I’m in line for a GA spot.

Yep, that's what I usually do too.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3067 on: March 01, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »
The problem isn't really when you have to use the restroom in areas like restaurants, hotels, etc. nearby the venue when the times comes.  The struggle is really how long can you handle your feet being sore until you just can't stand in close spaces anymore after the 3-5 hours of waiting outside and standing through the openers before waiting for the headlining band to come.  After seeing four GA shows of the same band in the last week, I still haven't found the right approach to it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3068 on: March 01, 2020, 05:36:41 AM »
The struggle is really how long can you handle your feet being sore until you just can't stand in close spaces anymore after the 3-5 hours of waiting outside and standing through the openers before waiting for the headlining band to come.  After seeing four GA shows of the same band in the last week, I still haven't found the right approach to it.
I usually just get so excited I forget about sore feet.

Would love to see Nightwish on this tour and bring my sister over, our lives are going haywire right now but I'm hoping we emerge from the tide of shit sometime round November.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3069 on: March 01, 2020, 06:20:30 AM »
The struggle is really how long can you handle your feet being sore until you just can't stand in close spaces anymore after the 3-5 hours of waiting outside and standing through the openers before waiting for the headlining band to come.  After seeing four GA shows of the same band in the last week, I still haven't found the right approach to it.
I usually just get so excited I forget about sore feet.

Next day is usually painful for me but the gig is usually worth it. Also whenever it's warm (or the line is inside the building, which is likely to be the case for Nightwish if I arrive early enough), I tend to sit on the ground instead of standing.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3070 on: March 05, 2020, 06:18:46 PM »
You might need to wait for it to hit midnight in your region but Nightwish just released the 2nd song, Harvest, from their new album. I'll post the link for those of us east of Helsinki:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIdZbxIt3w

I like it more than the first one (which I also liked). Nothing mind-blowing but a nice folky tune with a cool instrumental section.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3071 on: March 06, 2020, 02:05:39 AM »
I liked it more than the first single too. Still not too impressed though. My expectations for the album are definitely lower now.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3072 on: March 06, 2020, 03:44:42 AM »
The problem isn't really when you have to use the restroom in areas like restaurants, hotels, etc. nearby the venue when the times comes.  The struggle is really how long can you handle your feet being sore until you just can't stand in close spaces anymore after the 3-5 hours of waiting outside and standing through the openers before waiting for the headlining band to come.  After seeing four GA shows of the same band in the last week, I still haven't found the right approach to it.

Sit down. I'm OK with sitting on the sidewalk, but I've seen people take cheap plastic garden chairs and abandon them when the doors open. I always take a packed lunch and a paperback book.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3073 on: March 06, 2020, 04:47:30 AM »
Sounds like Blackmore's Night! :lol

Not bad though.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3074 on: March 06, 2020, 07:10:22 AM »
Lovely song! Interesting to have Troy sing. I think this is great for the live shows, I always enjoy variation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3075 on: March 06, 2020, 07:11:55 AM »
I don't care for it at all.  It's simultaneously very interesting and sad that once they hired Floor, who is by far my favorite singer they've had, that they begun to lose me.  That trend unfortunately continues.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3076 on: March 06, 2020, 07:22:43 AM »
I don't care for it at all.  It's simultaneously very interesting and sad that once they hired Floor, who is by far my favorite singer they've had, that they begun to lose me.  That trend unfortunately continues.

I don't mind it - at least it's not the umpteenth use of the riff in the first single.  In the context of the album I am guessing this will fit in nicely.

But yeah..........not once I have had the hairs stand up on the back of my neck with a vocal Floor has done in the studio with Nightwish..........she really seems to be in cruise control singing what is written for her in Nightwish and yet in a live setting she is ballistic with the old material.

I find myself going to back to After Forever (or Nightwish live) when I want to hear Floor sing which is frustrating given the potential of this band.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: March 06, 2020, 07:28:11 AM »
Song is good, and I don't mind Troy singing... but why is Floor not singing besides the backing vocals?  It feels like such a waste if she's not used on the second CD and we have one track already with her in the background.

But then again, the song is good and a bit different.  Will probably be a cool mid set change of pace song to give Floor a break and let Troy have some spotlight, similar to how they played While Your Lips are Still Red with Floor taking the backseat and giving Marco lead vocals with Troy playing guitar. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3078 on: March 06, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »
The Endless Forms Most Beautiful studio album sounded muted on the vocal department, but seeing Floor sing Greatest Show, Weak Fantasy, Decades in particular was a treat. I think Noise sounds great in the vocal department, though I agree the riffs are a bit too familiar.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3079 on: March 06, 2020, 07:37:29 AM »
Early review seemed to indicate that the opening track was crazy on the vocal side, so let's keep our fingers crossed for that!