Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 317520 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #3010 on: February 17, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »
"The other band" may suggest it would've been a co-headlining tour with a relatively popular artist, so you can start crossing over from there.

That's what I'm thinking.  They might have been shooting for a bigger tour and replacing this bigger band wouldn't be possible.  If it were a smaller band, I'd imagine they could find a suitable replacement to not have to get promoters worried about losing money.  A big band dropping would drastically change things.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3011 on: February 17, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
"The other band" may suggest it would've been a co-headlining tour with a relatively popular artist, so you can start crossing over from there.

That's what I'm thinking.  They might have been shooting for a bigger tour and replacing this bigger band wouldn't be possible.

Kai said in the comments of that FB post they were aiming for even larger venues (than the upcoming shows) with a bigger production, so that pretty much confirms it.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3012 on: February 17, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
Kamelot did two North American runs on their tour already, and they're going into the studio, so they're out. Children of Bodom had shows planned up until summer when they imploded, so perhaps they were negotiating something like this for the fall. Sonata Arctica just did one NA run last fall, and they have scheduled Europe, Finland, South America and festivals all until this fall, so perhaps it was them and they decided to take a break instead. And Amorphis is on the exact same schedule, and they've been doing a lot of co-headlining tours recently, so I'd put my money on them.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3013 on: February 17, 2020, 01:21:47 PM »
Sabaton?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3014 on: February 17, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »
Kamelot did two North American runs on their tour already, and they're going into the studio, so they're out. Children of Bodom had shows planned up until summer when they imploded, so perhaps they were negotiating something like this for the fall. Sonata Arctica just did one NA run last fall, and they have scheduled Europe, Finland, South America and festivals all until this fall, so perhaps it was them and they decided to take a break instead. And Amorphis is on the exact same schedule, and they've been doing a lot of co-headlining tours recently, so I'd put my money on them.

Are any of those bands big enough in NA to do a coheadling tour? Maybe Sonata Arctica like 10 yars ago.

Kamelot, for sure, but I doubt it's them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3015 on: February 17, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »
Sabaton?

That would be pretty darn awkward as Floor's married to their drummer no?  I don't think it's Within Temptation either as they did a solid US tour, last year, for their latest album.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: February 17, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
Are any of those bands big enough in NA to do a coheadling tour? Maybe Sonata Arctica like 10 yars ago.

Kamelot, for sure, but I doubt it's them.
Actually, Sonata was just gearing up in NA 10+ years ago. So five years ago  :lol

I'm surprised Amo isn't on your radar. They're the exact kind of band I would think about for something like this, along with Sabaton. Not a lot of bands on exactly the same level as Nightwish for sure...

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3017 on: February 17, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
maybe it's wintersun and they had to drop so jari can crowdfund another jacuzzi lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3018 on: February 17, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »
I'm surprised Amo isn't on your radar. They're the exact kind of band I would think about for something like this, along with Sabaton. Not a lot of bands on exactly the same level as Nightwish for sure...

Amorphis wouldn't draw in the crowd and money alongside Nightwish in NA to justify venues that large, sadly. These five are at venues with 3000+ capacity already, so they'd be the "special guests" at best in anything larger. Children of Bodom was the only comparable Finnish act to fit this bill, so the other band may not even "make sense" alongside Nightwish like MirrorMask suggested. Sabaton is a possibility, though I think they toured NA quite recently.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: February 17, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
Yeah, maybe we're looking too much at stuff that makes sense. Any freakin' large bands shopping for a co-headlining tour in NA right now, call me on the phone, I just wanna ask some questions  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: February 17, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »
 :lol Sabaton does come to mind, they toured NA last fall to almost an entirely sold out tour.  Them plus Nightwish would definitely elevate the tour to a new level.  Having said that, it wasn't that long ago that Nightwish/Sabaton/Delain toured NA together playing 2k venues.  Since then Sabaton has gotten much bigger and Nightwish has as well.  That show was actually the first time I saw Sabaton... and I stole a light bulb from the venue  :lol  :huh:

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3021 on: February 17, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »
Sabaton opened for them on the EFMB tour. It was awesome!

Online Adami

« Reply #3022 on: February 17, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »
Has Amaranthe opened for them? I feel like they'd be a pretty ideal touring partner.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: February 17, 2020, 04:56:11 PM »
Has Amaranthe opened for them? I feel like they'd be a pretty ideal touring partner.

Amaranthe are touring NA already shortly before these dats.  Come to Gramercy Theater to see them with Battle Beast and Seven Spires August 22nd  :metal

I'm not sure if they have toured together though, but they definitely are not big enough to be the band speculated

Online Adami

« Reply #3024 on: February 17, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »

Amaranthe are touring NA already shortly before these dats.  Come to Gramercy Theater to see them with Battle Beast and Seven Spires August 22nd  :metal

I'm not sure if they have toured together though, but they definitely are not big enough to be the band speculated

I’ll look into that show!

And yes, totally not the band hinted at. I just think it’d be a great combo. Especially give. Eliza’s role in that now famous Nightwish show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3025 on: February 17, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »
It would be cool if Nightwish and Dream Theater could do a co-headline tour starting late summer in the U.S. and maybe then they could finally get up to the Pacific Northwest. Especially if DT dropped scenes and did a standard set list featuring d/t a bit more.
 It seems that prog/metal band promoters have a way of snubbing the PNW these days.  Then you see Ed Sheeran and Blake Shelton etc, selling out large arenas and stadiums up here.. :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

« Reply #3026 on: February 17, 2020, 06:04:35 PM »
It would be cool if Nightwish and Dream Theater could do a co-headline tour starting late summer in the U.S. and maybe then they could finally get up to the Pacific Northwest. Especially if DT dropped scenes and did a standard set list featuring d/t a bit more.
 It seems that prog/metal band promoters have a way of snubbing the PNW these days.  Then you see Ed Sheeran and Blake Shelton etc, selling out large arenas and stadiums up here.. :facepalm:

Ehhh, I don't think that would be as great. There is some overlap in their audience, but a TON of DT fans are metal heads that hate female vocals, and a ton of Nightwish fans aren't really down for overly complex music.

I'm sure they'd do a decent tour, but they definitely aren't an ideal match in any way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3027 on: February 17, 2020, 07:57:49 PM »

Ehhh, I don't think that would be as great. There is some overlap in their audience, but a TON of DT fans are metal heads that hate female vocals, and a ton of Nightwish fans aren't really down for overly complex music.

I'm sure they'd do a decent tour, but they definitely aren't an ideal match in any way.

What's the matter with both these kinds of people then?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3028 on: February 17, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »
  :lol    My thoughts exactly!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: February 18, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »
First single dropped..... "Noise"

Sounds great!  Really bummed that the Sept. LA shows are General Admission.  Doubt I will make them now.  Also wish they would have done a bigger tour in the US for everyone else.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: February 21, 2020, 02:52:19 PM »
Got my tickets today, looks like they are selling some higher prices for the balcony, including a reserved balcony so I got two of those tickets for my friend and me.  $116 each after fees.  I'll take it because Terminal 5 is a pretty big floor and being a Tuesday, I doubt I can get there early enough to find a solid spot on the floor where I can see. 

Online Adami

« Reply #3031 on: February 21, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
Got my tickets today, looks like they are selling some higher prices for the balcony, including a reserved balcony so I got two of those tickets for my friend and me.  $116 each after fees.  I'll take it because Terminal 5 is a pretty big floor and being a Tuesday, I doubt I can get there early enough to find a solid spot on the floor where I can see.

Eesh. Yea, that might not work for me since I am not cash heavy right now.

Unless I am that friend you're mentioning.  :-*
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: February 21, 2020, 03:09:20 PM »

Eesh. Yea, that might not work for me since I am not cash heavy right now.

Unless I am that friend you're mentioning.  :-*

GA is $87 after fees, my guess of 90 was close.  I just want to guarantee a view so I can make sure it's on youtube the next morning.  Also NW are one of my favorite bands who I don't get to see multiple times on tour like others so I don't mind paying up for the show.  My friend has two kids and while he told me to get him a ticket, I wouldn't be surprised if he backed out as the show gets closer since its a Tuesday.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3033 on: February 21, 2020, 04:23:01 PM »
$97.50 after fees for the show at Hollywood Palladium for GA.  In comparison, I've paid around $50.00 for Within Temptation and In Flames for GA at the lovely Wiltern Theater.  Big pass for me for Nightwish though.  Wonder how big a difference in price would have been if it wasn't on a Friday and Saturday?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: February 21, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »
$97.50 after fees for the show at Hollywood Palladium for GA.  In comparison, I've paid around $50.00 for Within Temptation and In Flames for GA at the lovely Wiltern Theater.  Big pass for me for Nightwish though.  Wonder how big a difference in price would have been if it wasn't on a Friday and Saturday?

Considering NYC isn't much cheaper on a Tuesday.. not much although I'm more surprised it's not cheaper due to there being two shows.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: February 21, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
Almost pulled the trigger on VIP seats, row 1. $325 + fees per seat.   Couldn't quite justify it.  I wish I was younger, I'd be all over the GA.  On a side note, really like the video for "Noise".  Anyone know who the blonde girl is?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:06:42 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3036 on: February 22, 2020, 07:16:58 AM »
So.....  I had a brainstorm last night and just happened to float the notion of paying the $383 for the Platinum seats.  Just too see what the wife says.  Now mind you I wear the pants in the family, she just lays them out for me.  ;)  Anyways...  she surprised me and said "Hey... just get one ticket for you.  We can stay the night in Hollywood and I can go shopping while you go to the show!"  That's all I needed to hear! So I scored a single seat, Platinum 3, row A, seat right on the aisle!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:44:44 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3037 on: February 22, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: February 22, 2020, 07:45:53 AM »
:metal :metal :metal
You gotta make it happen Brotha! 

Online Adami

« Reply #3039 on: February 22, 2020, 07:50:16 AM »
Damn, prices have gone up in recent years.

I bought a GA ticket for Nightwish in San Diego back in like 2012 or 2013. Don't remember it costing much. Then people would just walk through the line offering VIP upgrades for like 50 bucks maybe and you got to get in early, meet the whole band and then get a front row spot. Well worth it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: February 22, 2020, 07:52:37 AM »
The meet and greet in NYC is 250 before fees, a bit cheaper, but its GA so you'd have to stand.  I actually considered it, but a Tuesday means I would need to take off work to get there early enough to do it.  I'm happy with my reserved balcony spot, and my friend last night seemed excited for it as well and didn't mind the extra cost over GA.

I bought a GA ticket for Nightwish in San Diego back in like 2012 or 2013. Don't remember it costing much. Then people would just walk through the line offering VIP upgrades for like 50 bucks maybe and you got to get in early, meet the whole band and then get a front row spot. Well worth it.

They weren't quite so popular in the US yet.  Seems they didn't start to get popular here until Floor took over.  I think I've paid around 70-90 for all the NW shows I've been to starting with one of the last Annette shows

Online Adami

« Reply #3041 on: February 22, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
I guess I was lucky since it was one of Floor's first shows with the band, but before she was an official member.  :loser:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3042 on: February 22, 2020, 09:05:42 AM »
The meet and greet in NYC is 250 before fees, a bit cheaper, but its GA so you'd have to stand.  I actually considered it, but a Tuesday means I would need to take off work to get there early enough to do it.  I'm happy with my reserved balcony spot, and my friend last night seemed excited for it as well and didn't mind the extra cost over GA.

They weren't quite so popular in the US yet.  Seems they didn't start to get popular here until Floor took over.  I think I've paid around 70-90 for all the NW shows I've been to starting with one of the last Annette shows
Man... I am S-L-O-W.  When you said terminal 5 for the show, I thought you meant flying into LAX terminal 5 for the LA show.... :lol :lol :lol  Then I saw the name of the NY venue.   Hey.... we've been to one LA show together and one NYC show together!  As far as popularity, I swear they are getting more exposure just on the youtube "Reaction" videos.  I don't think there's another band that has a bigger reaction following.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: February 22, 2020, 09:40:26 AM »
 :rollin

No plans on going to the LA show, in fact I'll be in Atlanta for Progpower, the NW show a few days after PP will be a nice hangover treatment

Online Adami

« Reply #3044 on: February 22, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »
:rollin

No plans on going to the LA show, in fact I'll be in Atlanta for Progpower, the NW show a few days after PP will be a nice hangover treatment

I have no idea why, but I immediately pictured you all hung over and Floor screaming at you through that horn like in that video.
fanticide.bandcamp.com