Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 316353 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2975 on: February 08, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »
Sounds like one of those "Old man yells at cloud" things like The Sound of Muzak that's getting boring now. People need to accept that times have changed. Technology is here to stay forever. Embrace it or shut up.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2976 on: February 08, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »
Well, I think not much technology per se, but the abuse and the over-reliance on technology is what is being criticized.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: February 08, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
Sounds like one of those "Old man yells at cloud" things like The Sound of Muzak that's getting boring now. People need to accept that times have changed. Technology is here to stay forever. Embrace it or shut up.

Not really though, I think even with this music video, they are showing examples of how they themselves are just as active and into technologies.  I think that's why it features the members themselves taking selfies.  I feel the same way myself, I don't really love social media and yet I am active and involved in it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2978 on: February 08, 2020, 01:43:58 PM »
The new single has me thankful that Floor did that Northward album. I always wanted her in Nightwish, but it seems it might be a bit late. Not that the song was bad, but she is not really featured in a way that she should be.

The sad thing is, I really liked where After Forever was going. I think Joost really brought something to the band that made those last couple of records really good. I almost kinda wish they would get back together. Joost has been knocking it out of the park lately as a writer/producer and I think a new After Forever record could be really special. Don't think it will ever happen though.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: February 08, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »
The new single has me thankful that Floor did that Northward album. I always wanted her in Nightwish, but it seems it might be a bit late. Not that the song was bad, but she is not really featured in a way that she should be.

The sad thing is, I really liked where After Forever was going. I think Joost really brought something to the band that made those last couple of records really good. I almost kinda wish they would get back together. Joost has been knocking it out of the park lately as a writer/producer and I think a new After Forever record could be really special. Don't think it will ever happen though.

Agree with all that.    Floor is great with them live but I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that Nightwish know how to make the most of her in the studio.  And that last After Forever album was their best IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2980 on: February 08, 2020, 05:04:06 PM »

Agree with all that.    Floor is great with them live but I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that Nightwish know how to make the most of her in the studio.  And that last After Forever album was their best IMHO.

Agreed on that last album comment. I forgot to mention that, but I feel the same. They did go out on a real high note, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:27:35 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2981 on: February 08, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »
I prefer invisible circles (minus the voice acting) but their last album was really good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2982 on: February 08, 2020, 06:02:57 PM »
Yeah, Floor's incredible but I have yet to be particularly impressed (or even interested, honestly) with the music Nightwish is doing with her.

I don't know, maybe I just miss Anette. I still listen to Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum pretty often.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2983 on: February 08, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »
I prefer invisible circles (minus the voice acting) but their last album was really good.

Oof, the voice acting. Yeah, I made custom edits to the tracks to remove all of that when I ripped the CD.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2984 on: February 08, 2020, 11:03:40 PM »
I have to say Nightwish with Floor have put out two top tier live albums with Showtime, Storytime and Decades (haven't heard enough from Vehicle of the Spirit to comment on that one). The band's never sounded better live IMO and I typically just listen to those live albums because I usually prefer how Floor sings the older material live over how Tarja or Anette sang them.

At the same time, Tuomas does seem to have passed his peak in songwriting for the band and doesn't seem quite confident in how to make the most of Floor's range and voice in new material.

I will say though that "Noise" has me more excited than I was when I first heard "Elan" five years ago. It's not Floor's best work, but all things considered, I would say it's generally a better demonstration of what Floor is capable of a singer. She's belting out a lot more, using more of her range and hits several solid high notes at the end of each chorus. As the first singles always seems to be the most ordinary song on a Nightwish album, hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the album.

Also I'll throw my support onto After Forever's last album being top tier stuff. Almost certainly Floor's best work ever and I'd love to hear her do more original work in other bands too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2985 on: February 10, 2020, 04:01:49 AM »
I have to say Nightwish with Floor have put out two top tier live albums with Showtime, Storytime and Decades (haven't heard enough from Vehicle of the Spirit to comment on that one).

If you think Showtime and Decades are top tier, you need to hear Vehicles - it knocks the other two out of the park.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: February 10, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »
I have to say Nightwish with Floor have put out two top tier live albums with Showtime, Storytime and Decades (haven't heard enough from Vehicle of the Spirit to comment on that one).

If you think Showtime and Decades are top tier, you need to hear Vehicles - it knocks the other two out of the park.

Definitely better than Showtime Storytime IMO.  Decades is just a different animal with the focus on the odler songs to compare.  VoS is a really good live album/blu-ray.  Highly recommended. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2987 on: February 10, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »

Definitely better than Showtime Storytime IMO.  Decades is just a different animal with the focus on the odler songs to compare.  VoS is a really good live album/blu-ray.  Highly recommended.

I would definately get the Blu-Ray if you can. The Tampere show, I feel, has the best Floor performance plus has very different set-list including Sleeping Sun.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2988 on: February 12, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2989 on: February 13, 2020, 03:02:15 AM »

I would definately get the Blu-Ray if you can. The Tampere show, I feel, has the best Floor performance plus has very different set-list including Sleeping Sun.

That last note of Ghost Love Score on the Tampere show - gets me every time, total Floorgasm.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: February 17, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »
   In September we will play a select amount of dates in North America!

September 8 - Canada - Toronto - Meridian Hall
Tickets

September 11 - United States - Los Angeles - The Hollywood Palladium
Tickets

September 12 - United States - Los Angeles - The Hollywood Palladium
Tickets

September 15 - United States - New York- Terminal Five 

Hell yea, not sure why they arent doing a full tour. Seems similar to what Epica just did, LA, NYC and Canada but I plan on being at Terminal 5   :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #2991 on: February 17, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »

Tickets

Tickets

Tickets

Hell yea, not sure why they arent doing a full tour. Seems similar to what Epica just did, LA, NYC and Canada but I plan on being at Terminal 5   :metal

Assuming I'm still in New York, I'll be there too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2992 on: February 17, 2020, 09:28:33 AM »
Go figure they skip Chicago. Of course. You coasters have absolutely no idea how lucky ya'll are when it comes to concerts...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2993 on: February 17, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
They are skipping all of the US if that is it, and it seems possible that's it with only a few days off between LA and NYC.  Very odd.

Adami, I guess you don't know your September plans, but I am going to be buying my tickets Friday.  I worry this will sell out.  Terminal 5 is a pretty big GA venue, but NW continue to sell well in NYC and without other shows, I imagine people all along the east coast will travel and probably sell it out.

Online Adami

« Reply #2994 on: February 17, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »
They are skipping all of the US if that is it, and it seems possible that's it with only a few days off between LA and NYC.  Very odd.

Adami, I guess you don't know your September plans, but I am going to be buying my tickets Friday.  I worry this will sell out.  Terminal 5 is a pretty big GA venue, but NW continue to sell well in NYC and without other shows, I imagine people all along the east coast will travel and probably sell it out.

Tickets are on sale Friday? Yea, I'll buy some. I plan on staying in New York, and unless they're crazy expensive, it's worth the risk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2995 on: February 17, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »
Two shows at Hollywood Palladium?  Sure, I'll try to go to one of these.  I didn't go to their show in Anaheim last time because I thought it was too expensive for me to go to.  Tickets were for like $80.00 for the furthest back sections.  The Palladium is about twice as large as the venue in Anaheim, so I'm hoping tickets are cheaper are more reasonable this time (like under $60.00 for a GA spot), but I imagine some people from the Pacific NorthWest that is willing to travel south for this, so we'll see.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: February 17, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »

Tickets are on sale Friday? Yea, I'll buy some. I plan on staying in New York, and unless they're crazy expensive, it's worth the risk.

It won't be cheap that's for sure.  Price: $69.50 - $129.00, so 70 before fees for GA, probably ~90 bucks for a ticket.  Pretty expensive if you ask me for a one band show... but I love NW so it's worth it for me.

Online Adami

« Reply #2997 on: February 17, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »
I've been fortunate to see a decent amount of NW shows in America. Saw their very first headlining show in Brooklyn. Saw them with Annette twice I think, each had that Native dude come on. Saw them with floor twice, including their first few shows with her.

They're almost always a band who delivers. One time with Annette they all looked miserable, but other than that they've been fantastic. So worth it for me to pay 90 for a ticket.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2998 on: February 17, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »

Tickets

Tickets

Tickets

I'll be at ProgPower the dates I could attend.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2999 on: February 17, 2020, 11:13:35 AM »
Those can’t be the only US dates they’re doing for this tour. I mean, if this album is as ambitious as it’s shaping up to be, they need to do a proper leg.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3000 on: February 17, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
Those can’t be the only US dates they’re doing for this tour. I mean, if this album is as ambitious as it’s shaping up to be, they need to do a proper leg.

It does seem very odd, but I'd imagine they will still do a full tour just maybe not this year.  I don't really get it myself, but Epica just did the same thing this January and then they said they will do a full US tour later.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3001 on: February 17, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »

It does seem very odd, but I'd imagine they will still do a full tour just maybe not this year.  I don't really get it myself, but Epica just did the same thing this January and then they said they will do a full US tour later.

I wonder if they'll announce Japanese or Australian dates. Then it would make sense why only those dates, do a couple dates in the US while traveling towards those places.

Online Adami

« Reply #3002 on: February 17, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
So do you guys think that 30 minute or whatever song will ever be played live?

Nightwish has said (I think) that they aren't likely to play with an orchestra live (or at least tour with one) and if the song is largely orchestral, I guess it'll just never be played live? Or maybe once for a one time only orchestra show?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3003 on: February 17, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
If the song is instrumental as early reviews seem to hint, no way they're gonna play it live. At best a movement will serve to either the intro or the outro to the show (or both), like it happened with the song Imaginaerum.

Shows with an orchestra are gimmicky by now, but Nightwish's music is more than justified to have a go for it. And Floor would kill it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #3004 on: February 17, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »
If the song is instrumental as early reviews seem to hint, no way they're gonna play it live. At best a movement will serve to either the intro or the outro to the show (or both), like it happened with the song Imaginaerum.

Shows with an orchestra are gimmicky by now, but Nightwish's music is more than justified to have a go for it. And Floor would kill it.

Both great points. I forgot about opening/closing music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: February 17, 2020, 11:38:44 AM »
I can see them doing some of the individual tracks live since the song is broken down. They did the Elven jig which was a nice instrumental song last tour so they could sneak one in I'd bet. Not sure they will though but I doubt the whole thing will get played just wouldn't bet against some of it making it's way into the set.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: February 17, 2020, 11:48:08 AM »
Found this on reddit:

“Ok, we were planning a big tour in us and canada but unfortunately the other band stepped away from that tour and this what we have for you north america at the moment.”

From Kai Hahto’s FB

For anyone hopeful they could find another band and add more dates, Kai said on his Facebook that it is "too late for this year schedule".

damn, that sucks

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3007 on: February 17, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
Dang, they don't even need another band.  It sounds like management screwed this one up.  :justjen
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3008 on: February 17, 2020, 12:00:15 PM »
How about some fan police work (the same that brought to identify the members of Sons of Apollo) and guess which band could it be? it must not be at all costs a label partner, but it has to be a band that would make sense in a bill with Nightwish and that has a new albm recently out or on its way, and that hasn't just toured the US....

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3009 on: February 17, 2020, 12:10:39 PM »
"The other band" may suggest it would've been a co-headlining tour with a relatively popular artist, so you can start crossing over from there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:28:25 PM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.